Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Countblanc posted:

She should have called it Death Egg Zone

We already have Sonic music we can use from the 87 dungeon too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Mordiceius posted:

Azem is no Baine Bloodhoof.

You can't know that

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
hey so two things I just remembered I wanted to ask:

1: who were the 'Telophoroi'? it's just Fandaniel, arguably not even Zenos, and a bunch of mind controlled Garleans. Does telophoroi mean something ingame?

2: weren't the towers supposed to summon this 'lunar' variant of primals? why weren't the sisters lunarized?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Zeruel posted:

1: who were the 'Telophoroi'? it's just Fandaniel, arguably not even Zenos, and a bunch of mind controlled Garleans. Does telophoroi mean something ingame?

2: weren't the towers supposed to summon this 'lunar' variant of primals? why weren't the sisters lunarized?

1: yeah it was just those two and their mind controlled pals; someone at some point translated it as "bringers of the end" (which is what it means in Greek AKA the language of the Ancients)

2: idk on this one. I never really understood in the first place why they were called lunar x other than to differentiate them from the x we had already seen so we would know it wasn't the same thing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zeruel posted:

The assumption is that those were the Lunar versions but since we never saw the originals there was no real reason to differentiate.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zeruel posted:

1. It's Fandaniel and the mind-controller Garleans, yeah. Telophoroi is a combination of Greek words that mends like "end bringers", I think? Something along those lines.

2. Yeah, that's weird! I guess it's just because we never saw the "normal" versions of the Manusya, and they wanted to have the Magus Sisters as a boss that weren't all purple. It's aesthetic over fiction, in this case.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wanna see the gods that have animal bodies but wear human masks

perhaps we'll at least see art of them in the inevitable matanga beast tribe quests

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Telophoroi were a smidge of a fakeout, which in hindsight makes it make perfect sense that they didn't put a whole ton of work into designing them compared to the blasphemies.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

cheetah7071 posted:

I wanna see the gods that have animal bodies but wear human masks

perhaps we'll at least see art of them in the inevitable matanga beast tribe quests

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nessus posted:

The Telophoroi were a smidge of a fakeout, which in hindsight makes it make perfect sense that they didn't put a whole ton of work into designing them compared to the blasphemies.

I feel like there wasn't a ton of design in the blasphemies either, I still haven't done the ranged phys role quests yet but AFAIK is Svarbhanu the only one that's a new model?

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Edit: wrong thread

central dogma fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 29, 2021

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Badger of Basra posted:

I feel like there wasn't a ton of design in the blasphemies either, I still haven't done the ranged phys role quests yet but AFAIK is Svarbhanu the only one that's a new model?

The one in melee DPS is also a new model, the Indigo Matriarch.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Begemot posted:

The one in melee DPS is also a new model, the Indigo Matriarch.

Isn’t that the Archaeotania model?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

yeah, it's not a common model but it's one that's been used before (and wrapped around ultima weapon's bones)

I think the flying snaky ladies and ranged dps role quest blasphamy are new, or at least if they were in amaurot I don't remember them

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

thetoughestbean posted:

Isn’t that the Archaeotania model?

It is. But so few people have seen Archaeotania that it may as well be new.

Vitamean posted:

yeah, it's not a common model but it's one that's been used before (and wrapped around ultima weapon's bones)

I think the flying snaky ladies and ranged dps role quest blasphamy are new, or at least if they were in amaurot I don't remember them

She's just an Idolizer.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think it's fair to associate "effort in design" with "a new model" considering how few things in this game have new models

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Omega is a frog.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It even does the same head tilt

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Half the enemies on the moon are from FFXI

you get jumped by FFXIII monsters in the second area of Dead Ends

it's just part of the realities of MMO design

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
is there any lore blurb I missed about why the robots in the loporrit base are hostile

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
programming got hosed

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
AFAIK all the blasphemies are based off existing enemies, which has some potentially fun implications for the ones that share skeletons/models with voidsent.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Vitamean posted:

The snake ladies are from the last bit of amaurot, in space

And when I say “model” I don’t mean skeleton but like a lot of them look exactly the same as to previous things. But I think the one that ate that kid in Radz-at-Han was new!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cheetah7071 posted:

is there any lore blurb I missed about why the robots in the loporrit base are hostile
They went bugfuck because the rabbits kept jerking them around with new updates from Urianger. Perhaps the real monster... was Lopporit all along.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nessus posted:

They went bugfuck because the rabbits kept jerking them around with new updates from Urianger. Perhaps the real monster... was Lopporit all along.

I think they meant in the carrotorium and the arboretum, smileton has back story.

All I recall is the scions saying that they don't like the looks of the robots and to stay away unless you want a fight.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Vitamean posted:

the ranged dps one is a mob in Vanaspati, though it might be new to this expansion

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Draxion posted:

the ranged dps one is a mob in Vanaspati, though it might be new to this expansion

It's not, you fight them in Amaurot.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
By flying snaky lady do you mean ones in the cinematic trailer that are flying around with tentacles for arms? They're calofisteri.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Argas posted:

AFAIK all the blasphemies are based off existing enemies, which has some potentially fun implications for the ones that share skeletons/models with voidsent.

Blasphemies seem to be based off of the tranformed’s idea of a demon or devil, like how the guy from Ishgard became a dragon

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

thetoughestbean posted:

Blasphemies seem to be based off of the tranformed’s idea of a demon or devil, like how the guy from Ishgard became a dragon

Yeah but there's potential speculation gold from the reuse of Amaurot enemies as all the blasphemies we encounter.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Argas posted:

Yeah but there's potential speculation gold from the reuse of Amaurot enemies as all the blasphemies we encounter.

Sundered ancients with the potential to awaken the echo instead manifesting their primal fears in response to the Final Days happening again I suppose.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Gruckles posted:

Sundered ancients with the potential to awaken the echo instead manifesting their primal fears in response to the Final Days happening again I suppose.

The way a friend of mine put it is, 'In the case of people dying and turning into monsters here, we are seeing people getting broken down into qualia. They're not quite PEOPLE anymore, but instead embody the ideas which possessed them.'

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

hobbesmaster posted:

I think they meant in the carrotorium and the arboretum, smileton has back story.

All I recall is the scions saying that they don't like the looks of the robots and to stay away unless you want a fight.

I mean do you really need much of an explanation, being a race of hilarious adorable gently caress-ups is basically the Loporrit's whole schtick.

My guess is Puddingway accidently gave them sentience and sent them to guard the carrotorium before going into stasis for another millennium, like the butter-passing robot from R&M but with carrots and murderous rage instead of existential dread.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I mean do you really need much of an explanation, being a race of hilarious adorable gently caress-ups is basically the Loporrit's whole schtick.

'Did we remember to add the new appearances of the people of Etherys to the recognition systems?'

'I'm sure it will be fine, they aren't THAT different. Just a little smaller.'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

The assumption is that those were the Lunar versions but since we never saw the originals there was no real reason to differentiate.

yea isn't there some throwaway line about how they're 'twisted' or the like? I assume that they were indeed Lunar, we just never saw them originally so our WoL wouldn't really know.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Gearhead posted:

'Did we remember to add the new appearances of the people of Etherys to the recognition systems?'

'I'm sure it will be fine, they aren't THAT different. Just a little smaller.'

The robots simply recognize us as children, and are privy to the knowledge that children love engaging in mortal combat as they walk about.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Gruckles posted:

The robots simply recognize us as children, and are privy to the knowledge that children love engaging in mortal combat as they walk about.

As I remarked once before, 'A Maine Coon is a lot less cuddly when it's the size of a horse relative to yourself.'

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gearhead posted:

As I remarked once before, 'A Maine Coon is a lot less cuddly when it's the size of a horse relative to yourself.'

imo a gigantic maine coon would be even more cuddly

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Something I noticed/felt - a lot of the dungeon bosses basically feel like trial level enemies. Like, in particular, Stormblood and Shadowbringers' preview sites revealed the leveling primals (Susano & Lakshmi, Titania & Innocence) Endwalker's site previews the Magus Sisters and Anima, who are both primals, but end up only being dungeon bosses.

While we have had an Ascian as a dungeon boss before, Hermes certainly had trial boss vibes to me, and Amon is a former alliance raid boss.

Vanaspati feels like the one exception outside of the level 90 dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Something I noticed/felt - a lot of the dungeon bosses basically feel like trial level enemies. Like, in particular, Stormblood and Shadowbringers' preview sites revealed the leveling primals (Susano & Lakshmi, Titania & Innocence) Endwalker's site previews the Magus Sisters and Anima, who are both primals, but end up only being dungeon bosses.

While we have had an Ascian as a dungeon boss before, Hermes certainly had trial boss vibes to me, and Amon is a former alliance raid boss.

Vanaspati feels like the one exception outside of the level 90 dungeons.

The Primals at least were absolutely given what amounts to a toned down trial boss mechanic set. They're nowhere near as hard but they feel bigger. Especially Animal who basically would just need some slightly more punishing mechanics to be a for-real Trial Boss.

Like honestly if they wanted to do a 'bonus trial' like they did in ShB with the Emperor's human form they could toss in an Anima (Extreme) without too much trouble.