Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.

site posted:

most films don't even use film grain for effect anymore (in fact i would say with the push to ever higher res screens they're getting father and father away from grain) so why would i ever see that in a video game much less where I'm looking around through someone's eyes?

Maybe V, like me, has Visual Snow? :wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Splorange posted:

I mean, yes, the budget implants would come with pop-up adds that get in the way of aiming.

first major gameplay choice is paying the subscription fee for no-ads or saving for a better set of eyes

^^^ maybe but I'm pretty sure that's not why games have film grain

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Romanceable NPCs have set sexuality = developers telling the story they made
Romanceable NPCs are herosexual = developers letting players tell their own story

I don't feel great about declaring one "better" but I definitely prefer the latter

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It basically boils down to, "do you think the sexuality of a character is sacrosanct, and an important enough part of their character to inform the rest of their personality?" and I do not have a good answer to that.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

homullus posted:

Romanceable NPCs are herosexual = developers letting players tell their own story

I don't feel great about declaring one "better" but I definitely prefer the latter

It's the more practical choice for sure but if you're really into the writing it's a little disappointing, as are most games tho

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think there are certain characters for whom their sexuality is pretty important and others who could probably swing either way without it really affecting their arc.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I think there are certain characters for whom their sexuality is pretty important and others who could probably swing either way without it really affecting their arc.

I wouldn't want them to make a romanceable character textually gay/lesbian and have them coded playersexual.

I could see them presenting you with some non-spoiler options when you create your character, though, that affects the appearance and some writing around some playersexual romanceable NPCs, so you get more of what you want and maybe some tougher choices. The new Baldur's Gate has a bit where you design an NPC in answer to the question "who attracts you?;" that could be done well and inclusively.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
You know what you don't see in games like this? Characters that are romanceable but completely unattainable to player. Like, you can try, and the devs make it so you can give it your all, but it's just not in the story. Now, I know WHY they don't do this, because fans (gamers) would probably have an unreasonable reaction to not being able to virtually touch the digital junk of their preference, but it would be pretty bold compared to what everyone else does.

Of course modders would "fix" it on day 1, but it'd still be funny.

Splorange posted:

I mean, yes, the budget implants would come with pop-up adds that get in the way of aiming.

And this is a great concept for a side quest of some kind.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t have a problem with herosexual characters as long as their are still in game flags for them rejecting you for a good reason, like Panam won’t be your girlfriend if you don’t help her find her special sniper rifle while clearing out that band of thieves in the cave, or you can fail out of Judy’s relationship by not liking the right kind of music or something during a conversation.

I just don’t want Mass Effect style romance where everyone is essentially forced to love you because you’re you and as long as you go down the very narrow and often creepily written romance paths you guarantee your creepy sex scene.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

HoboTech posted:

You know what you don't see in games like this? Characters that are romanceable but completely unattainable to player. Like, you can try, and the devs make it so you can give it your all, but it's just not in the story. Now, I know WHY they don't do this, because fans (gamers) would probably have an unreasonable reaction to not being able to virtually touch the digital junk of their preference, but it would be pretty bold compared to what everyone else does.

Of course modders would "fix" it on day 1, but it'd still be funny.

And this is a great concept for a side quest of some kind.

Actually that IS technically in the game. Go for a smooch with River as a dude and you’ll see. Same for Judy/Male V and vice versa for the others. The game lets you get all the way to “kiss face?” and then has the other character push you away.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

chaosapiant posted:

Actually that IS technically in the game. Go for a smooch with River as a dude and you’ll see. Same for Judy/Male V and vice versa for the others. The game lets you get all the way to “kiss face?” and then has the other character push you away.

They mean you're always going to get shot down for reasons other than naturally falling outside of their sexuality

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yer a cyberpunk, Harry!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kerry needs to be gay for Johnny. Everything else gently caress cares.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

homullus posted:

I think the player can have agency as themselves without being able to mind control other people into seeing them as attractive. If you make a world with no barriers to anything, you get a Minecraft clone, which is fine, but isn't exactly a storytelling vehicle. If anything, the problem is more that characters will be attracted to any PC of their preferred gender/model if you click the right buttons. A game that convincingly portrays sexuality would either need a fixed player character or some kind of way to measure how attractive the PC is to each NPC. I think you would probably need procedurally generated romance options to really pull it off though because as it is, we already "know" that a character is supposed to be seducible and get annoyed when some arbitrary thing prevents it.

Then again, a lot of people play these games as a power fantasy and being attractive to everybody is a part of that.

Edit: Just more proof that in another 20 years, Dwarf Fortress will be the only narrative game we ever need.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 30, 2021

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
San Andreas had a way to measure how attractive the player is to each romance option. granted, the romances aren't nearly as in depth or meshed with the narrative as the ones in Cyberpunk, but it's not an insurmountable issue.

i play as (trans)femme V because i am a trans woman and it is really nice to be able to play as someone like me (even if i wish the options were better and gave that option to more people than binary cis and trans people)

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

FilthyImp posted:

Kerry needs to be gay for Johnny. Everything else gently caress cares.

Kerry is canonically bi, he's just not attracted to female V while male V reminds him of Johnny

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
All I'm curious about is why that one woman from Militech wanted to meet up in a sleazy motel after I robbed her company of thousands of dollars. I guess maybe because I didn't spend it before we hosed, and deposited it in my account afterwards?

I guess we'll never know.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

Chloe Jessica posted:

San Andreas had a way to measure how attractive the player is to each romance option. granted, the romances aren't nearly as in depth or meshed with the narrative as the ones in Cyberpunk, but it's not an insurmountable issue.

i play as (trans)femme V because i am a trans woman and it is really nice to be able to play as someone like me (even if i wish the options were better and gave that option to more people than binary cis and trans people)

That was just assigning each one a range of your fatness and sex appeal stats. You could easily do the same here with the attributes available but many would probably see that as an unnecessary barrier for seeing side story content, especially with only one or two dating options with each V combination it would suck if your build would lock you out of it entirely

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I played a quest earlier today for the third time and saw a couple of options I didn’t see before: Stadium Love. First two characters just kinda go through the motions and run the contest and get a cool new gun. My new/third character first started talking poo poo, and everyone called me on it and opened fire. Next time through I went through the contest and got second place. Then a dude off to the side is like “i remember you, you killed our guys!” And they opened fire and I slaughtered them all. Looks like there’s a decent number of quests on this third playthrough that do play differently.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Chloe Jessica posted:

Kerry is canonically bi, he's just not attracted to female V while male V reminds him of Johnny

Is he? I'd only seen him kissing up a pretty lad in one of the Johnny flashbacks, and he's the gay male V love interest, so I guess I didn't realise that was the case.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
yeah, he was bi in the tabletop and the devs specifically came out and clarified the circumstances of the Kerry/V romance because some people thought it was bi erasure. it could have been brought across better in the game for sure, though.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

homullus posted:

its like one additional dialog tree you have access to how does that count as telling your own story

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

King Vidiot posted:

All I'm curious about is why that one woman from Militech wanted to meet up in a sleazy motel after I robbed her company of thousands of dollars. I guess maybe because I didn't spend it before we hosed, and deposited it in my account afterwards?

The only thing, if you go along with her plan, which she loses out on is the Flathead. It's the entire convoy the Maelstrom jacked that she so desperately wanted back and she does get it back. The ten thousand eddies are just a business expense and you can use them on the deal and it still counts.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Chloe Jessica posted:

yeah, he was bi in the tabletop and the devs specifically came out and clarified the circumstances of the Kerry/V romance because some people thought it was bi erasure. it could have been brought across better in the game for sure, though.

Is the game actually doing bi-erasure though? I mean, it's not like you can't play V as being aggressively bi if that's how you want to play them.

I guess the only romance option (or non-option) I take issue with is Claire, who totally should've been romanceable for both Vincent and Valerie.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
God knows a decent romance scene would have been nice to have after those interminable races

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

edogawa rando posted:

Is the game actually doing bi-erasure though? I mean, it's not like you can't play V as being aggressively bi if that's how you want to play them.

i said "some people", not me. i think on the whole the way the game handles gender and sexuality issues is pretty good, miles above most of the competition for sure (marketing notwithstanding). i don't think it engages in bi erasure. however, i do appreciate that they clarified they hadn't changed the sexuality of a bi character.

edogawa rando posted:

I guess the only romance option (or non-option) I take issue with is Claire, who totally should've been romanceable for both Vincent and Valerie.

i would love to romance her but also her arc felt pretty natural to me and i understand from an in-character perspective why she's unavailable

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Holy shitballs, the cat REALLY hates the loving shower. Started hissing and snarling at me and then went and hid under the desk. Anyone else see this?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

site posted:

tbh I've never understood why people like adding camera effects when you're looking through someone's eyeballs

kiroshi optics, best poo poo there is. except for the lens filters

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a mod manager for this game I should be using?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

its like one additional dialog tree you have access to how does that count as telling your own story

did you not realize that "telling your own story" has additional meanings beyond "literally creating a complete narrative with no constraints" or . . .?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there a mod manager for this game I should be using?

I use Nexus Mod Manager. I use it for everything tbh. It doesn't gently caress with any files and you can switch mods on and off easily

They'll have the ability to export mod lists in January afaik, so ppl should be able to share a link to what they use and it will set it up as a second profile or something.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

King Vidiot posted:

Female V is amazing, I don't really know a lot about Male V but from a few videos I've seen he doesn't seem as good so :shrug: He's just less expressive and more Generic White Guy Protagonist.

I don't even mind when Fem V does that weird, forced vocal fry thing some times to add emphasis.

Fem V has a surprisingly wide range of breathy, low exasperation, hard-lived bitterness with a tinge of vocal fry, drawn sarcasm, hardass don't-gently caress-with-me, contemplative or even empathetic concern, cynical but understated wariness, biz as usual, etc, able to switch on the fly even mid sentence to the appropriate emotional range

Masc V is IM BATMAN

it was not a fair comparison

forest spirit posted:

They'll have the ability to export mod lists in January afaik, so ppl should be able to share a link to what they use and it will set it up as a second profile or something.

Thank the gods

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
mods for cp77 are extremely easy as every single one ive encountered is designed to drag and drop install into the main game folder, just click yes to merge

site fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 31, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Me everyday this year, forever

https://twitter.com/paultassi/status/1477291910192582657?s=21

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

HoboTech posted:

Aveline from Dragon Age 2 is the only example of this I can think off from the top of my head.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I think video games should jsut go the Fable route and have romance/marriage options for literally any character model in the game and it's accomplished by just mashing a "flirt" button.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Dragon's Dogma variation where the character who loves you the most gets kidnapped by a dragon and when you rescue them you have a romance, and it doesn't tell you which character loves you most beforehand, and it can be absolutely any character in the game including children

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

2house2fly posted:

The Dragon's Dogma variation where the character who loves you the most gets kidnapped by a dragon and when you rescue them you have a romance, and it doesn't tell you which character loves you most beforehand, and it can be absolutely any character in the game including children

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Final Fantasy X has a hidden reputation system based on how often you use a character and how often you let them die that determines which character will comfort Tidus during his darkest moments in the game. Its really cool under the hood way of handling it because its literally just "which character does the player like the most" given story significance without getting in the way of anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Final Fantasy X has a hidden reputation system based on how often you use a character and how often you let them die that determines which character will comfort Tidus during his darkest moments in the game. Its really cool under the hood way of handling it because its literally just "which character does the player like the most" given story significance without getting in the way of anything

You can hit on Lulu and Rikku too and neither are against it but in the end Yuna is the love interest regardless of if you have Tidus show any interest or not.