Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend that I will no longer be paying for her friends

1. This all started after "Bridget" moved in with him.
2. She pays no bills / rent.
3. He was planning on proposing to her.
4. She's "out of his league".
5. She's unemployed, sometimes looks for a new job (fired from her last one), cooks most nights and they split the chores.
6. What she brings to the relationship: she's pretty, sweet, loving

Say no way, say no way-ah, no waaaaaay,
Na-na, why don't you get a job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
There's two types of people in this world:

1) those who remember high school fondly, still have friends from high school and think it was the best time of their lives. They have never moved out of their hometown or driven more than 100 miles from it

2) functioning members of society

Prove me wrong :colbert:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for telling a woman I hope she’s nicer to her daughter than she was to a chubby girl in high school?

That's not regional, it's nationwide at least. Nursing attracts great people and THE WORST people and not much in between.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

That woman is not a "diversity hire" but the company is almost definitely exploiting her in their marketing and probably not compensating her appropriately (she doesn't mention anything about it at least) or giving her any oversight. I have no idea how normal that is, or what rights you have as an employee in that regard but it's probably worth looking into. She probably signed away all rights by agreeing to the photo shoots but the whole thing seems gross. Though I can understand her not wanting to make a big deal out of it, given that she described it as a "dream job" and worked hard to get there.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

As a sufferer of sleep apnea gently caress this MIL entirely.

:yeah:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Something from the legal advice subreddits, for a change:

Stepfather changed the locks and has not provided a new key despite my sister and I being named on the deeds

quote:

Hi all. My mother passed away 3 years ago. Mortgage was paid off prior to her passing. The deeds of the house are now named with my stepfather (50%) and my sister and I (25% each). He has now moved in with his new partner, I own my own place and my sister rents a flat. So basically the house is empty.

To say our relationship with him since her passing has been rocky would be an understatement. Not only is his new partner an old family acquaintance, she is a ‘therapist’ who used our grief to provide us with ‘therapy’ whilst beginning a relationship with my stepfather.

A lot has happened and we have sought family therapy (mine and my sisters suggestion) to try and resolve things, but to no avail.

Around 3 weeks ago we received a text message stating he was considering releasing some equity from the house to pay my sister and I. We both declined this and the following day he then informed us that he had changed the locks due to “having some trouble”. We have yet to receive a key as he states this is difficulty to get a copy.

Last night, he then informed us that during this period he has begun to remove our mothers belongings. Obviously this was extremely upsetting for us to hear as the agreement was that we would do this together, but his reply was that he could have put it all in the bin if he wanted as “it is his” as he has the overall say over the house and the contents.

Where do we stand? Can we change the locks ourselves if we can’t access the house? (we still have a lot of our own things in the house) Does he have a right to remove such items?

This is extremely distressing for both myself and my sister and would appreciate any advice at all

TIA

In response to advice to check stepdad's new gf's accreditation to report her for conflict of interest:

quote:

This is really helpful, thank you. I wasn’t aware of the protected titles. She used to work as a nurse and then gained a qualification in hypnotherapy. As far as I’m aware she does not have a degree is psychology but I can’t say for sure. Safe to say I need to do some digging!

quote:

Ah this is really helpful, thank you :) She is a hypnotherapist but was very insistent on seeing us pretty much immediately after my mother died. All very suspicious.

Help, my stepdad's been hypnotised by my therapist! is the title of my next light novel.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Slugworth posted:

No such thing as unskilled labor. The guy mentions being the fastest on his machine, and that he would be hard to replace quickly. You can do a job well, or you can do a job shittily. Doing a job - any job - well, is a skill.

But yeah, gently caress this 'apprenticeship'. Union apprentices still make a decent wage.

sure all labor requires a skill and you can be better or worse at it, but that's not what people mean by "skilled labor." unless you just are playing dumb semantic games and want to come up with a new term, i guess

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Achmed Jones posted:

sure all labor requires a skill and you can be better or worse at it, but that's not what people mean by "skilled labor." unless you just are playing dumb semantic games and want to come up with a new term, i guess

You’re the one being pedantic here dude. His meaning is very clear.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for kicking out my brother's girlfriend for how she behaved?

quote:

Mike (36M) has been dating Terra (32F) for about a year. At this point, she should be a huge part of every holiday gathering. But I have heard complaints from Mike about how everyone in the family treats Terra like a stranger and doesn't want her in their homes.

When I talked to people about it, they told me they aren't gonna talk about it, it is a choice they have made. I can make my own choices about Terra and Mike, but they don't want her in their home at all. My sister Claire (28F) sounded exhausted when I asked.

I (26F) just moved back home in November and have not met Terra in person. I am renting a townhouse with my husband Greg (30M). Mike and Terra were out of town visiting her family most of November and December. Mike has my address.

I have gotten three Ring videos of Terra knocking on my door at weird times during the day. When I don't answer, she waited there a few times for up to ten minutes. She texted me the last time about how I wasn't home and I said we aren't home during the day. And if we are, then she needs to text us instead of just coming by.

Greg said she seems a little intrusive, but he has sisters like that so we just tried to look past it.

On the 23rd, Mike and Terra texted me to say they were in the area. Could they stop by?

I said sure, we are having grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch did they want a plate? Mike said absolutely.

When Terra sees what we are having, she goes “Oh I don’t want that. I will just make myself something else.”

I tell Mike we don’t have anything else she can have right now, everything else is for another meal. Mike tells her to just eat what we have and she plops down like a toddler.

She then says she needs to use the bathroom. We show her the guest bathroom. She says there is no bathtub in there. Mike asks if she can use our main bathroom to take a shower. I tell him no. He gets upset.

At this point Greg and I are starting to get why Terra isn’t welcome in people’s homes. I am about to make an excuse for them to leave when Terra comes out with my box of mud masks, which had been sitting on my bed. It was unopened. She tells me she loves this brand and she wants to use one right now.

I tell her no. Greg takes the box out of her hand and says it might be time for them to leave, as we have somewhere we need to be. Mike and Terra leave.

Later I get a text from Mike asking what I thought of Terra. I told him politely I would love to see more of him if he wants to come by. But I don’t think Terra and I would get on. He called me an rear end in a top hat and told me to grow up. AITA?

Anyone want to place odds on TBI in the past?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

We now return to our INTJ science man

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hughlander posted:

possibly a giant bird

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Seth Pecksniff posted:

1) those who remember high school fondly, still have friends from high school and think it was the best time of their lives. They have never moved out of their hometown or driven more than 100 miles from it

But goons are neither of these things??

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hughlander posted:

I love how it's not even violent or destructive behavior, but somehow worse because it's so... weird. Like a four-year-old's concept of how other people and their possessions work.

Sure, just lean on the doorbell in the middle of the day, then wait around and keep trying when nobody answers. Also, grab whatever you want out the medicine cabinet, mi casa es su casa

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

We now return to our INTJ science man

This guy keeps getting more bonkers by the second

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hughlander posted:

I'm guessing stroke/TBI here.

I considered drugs, because the "no, no, I need to use the master bathroom all by myself" thing is classic seeking behavior, but the mud mask and doorbell weirdness leans me away from that.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for getting my daughter's ears peirced without telling my husband?

quote:

Context: Me f26 and my husband m32 welcomed our daughter several months ago. So far we've agreed on every decision made regarding our daughter but the topic of peircing her ears came up and he said he didn't like the idea despite me explaining that 1. It's normal thing for babies and 2. It looks pretty 3. no it's not cultural we're both white but it's a great new experience imo. He said he needed time to think about it but weeks went by and he hasn't said okay yet. Mom suggested we do it behind his back and he'll then come around and see for himself that it's a good thing since he was having doubts and being indecisive. I was hasitant but I agreed and chose a day where he was out all day.

Thankfully it went smoothly but when my husband got home and found out he lost his temper and went on about what a major breach of trust I just committed and how I should have never decided to do this without him fully agreeing since he's the parent too and got extra mad that I went behind his back and was being sneaky and untruthful about it. I tried to explain that first it was my mom's idea and I didn't think he'd overreact like that but he insisted that I did was not okay and that I overruled him as a parent and damaged the trust we have and also put our daughter through pain and discomfort. I had an argument with him and told him he was acting like this is just his daughter, I'm the mother and my opinion does have heavier weight than his to some degree. He got offended by that and went to stay with his mom who called and berated me for going behind her son's back and treating him as a less than when it comes to our daughter but I never understood why he thought that.

He is not talking to me now. I think he's being selfish by saying he needed time to think about it and trying to stall without considering my point of view. Mom is on my side here but he and my inlaws said I screwed up for making such decision without his "okay" and going behind his back to get it done.

AITA?

Edit/ putting this out there/ My husband was aware that I had plans to get our daughter's ears peirced and we've had many many discussions about it so it wasn't like it was out of the blue and I didn't bring it up with him. I did but he kept giving me the same "I need time to think about it" the entire time. How long was I supposed to wait? Why he kept stalling instrad of just saying "just no"? He just kept stalling and putting off any further discussions/compromises that we could've had as a way maybe to get me to just abandon the whole idea.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

why tf do people pierce the ears of their babies? If the kid wants to get pierced when they're older, let 'em, otherwise just stop. jesus

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

but it's a great new experience imo

Uhh. It's an infant. What experience? She'll never remember this.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'm 35 and I've forgotten probably 75% of high school.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I have some fond memories of high school, but it definitely wasn't the peak of my life.

... The was when I won the school Geography Bee... In fourth grade... :negative:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Midnight Voyager posted:

Uhh. It's an infant. What experience? She'll never remember this.

She meant it was a great new experience for her, the mother who now has more accessories to put on her doll.

Baby. I meant baby.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Khizan posted:

I'm guessing stroke/TBI here.

I considered drugs, because the "no, no, I need to use the master bathroom all by myself" thing is classic seeking behavior, but the mud mask and doorbell weirdness leans me away from that.

I thought trauma honestly.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Did the cops illegally detain me and were they negligent while doing so?

quote:

Colorado laws shall apply here. 3 cops showed up on my door issuing me a harassment ticket. They were asking for my information in order to fill out the ticket. They asked for my phone number and I simply said "I don't need to provide you with this information. It's public info I'm sure you can find but I'm not going to provide it."

They immediately put me in cuffs and walked me to the car. They did ask if anything was in my pockets before placing me in the car which I know is correct, but once I was in the car I was able to take the hand cuffs off with ease. I tapped on the window and kept asking the officer stupid questions. Just mainly to get his attention to the fact that I wasn't hand cuffed.

After they ran my information and were about to uncuff me I made sure my hands were in front of me and I said " you didn't do well I took the cuffs off."

"We weren't worried about you" was their response

I feel like this was negligence on Their part and they weren't following standard protocol, nor do I believe I should have even been detained for not providing my phone number.

Was I in the wrong? Were they in the wrong? Can I possibly get my whole charge thrown out because of their negligence?

:psyduck:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Tarkus posted:

why tf do people pierce the ears of their babies? If the kid wants to get pierced when they're older, let 'em, otherwise just stop. jesus

You see, a baby isn’t a human, it’s a toy. And we want to have our toys dressed up to look the way we want, regardless of their feelings.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Piercing a child's ears makes it easier to keep them secured in place with a bike lock.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tarkus posted:

Some people get weird about calling their baby by the wrong gender. Some people get INSANELY performative about making their baby look their assigned gender.

I feel like there's some overlap with "people who pierce baby ears" there.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Piercing infants' ears is a perfectly normal thing for many people's culture. Please be careful about being weird or racist about this.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

value-brand cereal posted:

Piercing infants' ears is a perfectly normal thing for many people's culture. Please be careful about being weird or racist about this.

Now THIS is performative scolding

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'm 40 and went to high school with my current close friends, we've stayed very close since we were teenagers and we are each others' chosen family. Many of us have moved 3000 miles from home, too. Maybe we're all just a weird situation?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

value-brand cereal posted:

very relevant when we're talking about white people who go out of their way to point out it's not a cultural thing piercing their kids without their spouse's approval.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

I have some fond memories of high school, but it definitely wasn't the peak of my life.

Yeah this is how I feel. Like I had some fun in HS despite being an antisocial nerd, marching band was rad and the first time I ever went overseas was with the marching band program there.

It's just...nothing about HS other than that trip sticks out as a highlight of my life, and even then I've had better trips since.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

oh its cute to pierce a baby's ears, sure, but im some kind of "freak" or "unfit parent" if I want to gauge my baby's ears, is that it?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Tarkus posted:

My mom wanted me to get pierced ears my entire life. But she wanted me to want it, so every loving year she'd keep asking me if I wanted to get it done. Finally about age 10, I agreed, on the condition I could bring my guinea pig with me. I remember sitting in the lovely Claire's chair, Capy in my lap, and the piercer in training did my ear before the trainer gave the okay. It did hurt, it did startle me, but the real issue was the infection that happened a bit later, because my mom promised me some cute earrings, and I wore them too early. Little wood ducks with waving feet. Every loving step I took with those in, I felt like someone stabbing my ears, but I looked cute, and that was what was important, wasn't it?

AITA for considering genetic testing in LTR with a little person.

quote:

I'll try and make this as straight forward as possible and I'm (obviously) really interested in hearing everyone else's opinion, as I'm debating whether to bring this up with my partner. I was a little stuck on what to title this, so I hope it makes sense.

I (29F) have been with (31M) for 3 years. I am a typical height whereas he is a little person. We are in a committed relationship and see marriage in our future.

Recently, a family member brought up the idea of children, (awkward Christmas gathering). We have both said we would like to have children but have not really discussed how, (whether that be biological, adopted etc) in any depth. This led to questions about the likelihood of our child being average sized vs little. I said that, when the time came to seriously think about having children, we would discuss potentially trying IVF and genetic testing to ensure our child was an average height. My partner confessed to me later that night that he was really hurt by what I had said and that it suggested I don't truly accept him for who he is. From my perspective, I just don't know if I'd want to bring a child into the world with a 50% chance of them being differently-abled when it can be avoided. The child would still be half me/half him, which would be amazing, just without the negative things he's had to experience.

I feel awful for hurting him and can see why it could have come across like that. AITA?

Nah if I did the math right, you take both your heights and divide by two! That's precisely why everyone with a physical difference like eye color or skin color end up with a perfect 50/50 baby.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

My mom wanted me to get pierced ears my entire life. But she wanted me to want it, so every loving year she'd keep asking me if I wanted to get it done. Finally about age 10, I agreed, on the condition I could bring my guinea pig with me. I remember sitting in the lovely Claire's chair, Capy in my lap, and the piercer in training did my ear before the trainer gave the okay. It did hurt, it did startle me, but the real issue was the infection that happened a bit later, because my mom promised me some cute earrings, and I wore them too early. Little wood ducks with waving feet. Every loving step I took with those in, I felt like someone stabbing my ears, but I looked cute, and that was what was important, wasn't it?

AITA for considering genetic testing in LTR with a little person.

Nah if I did the math right, you take both your heights and divide by two! That's precisely why everyone with a physical difference like eye color or skin color end up with a perfect 50/50 baby.

If twins take 18 months, does a little person take 4.5 months?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Hughlander posted:

I have a dear friend who beat a hosed up brain tumor in the past and now, occasionally, her sense of social propriety just misfires. It's shocking how not shocking a lack of superego can be if you can see it coming.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I think it is responsible to try not to pass on known genetic issues on to your children. There are health implications beyond just height for many of these conditions.

I have met some deaf people who equate surgery for children with congenital deafness with genocide.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DemoneeHo posted:

Did the cops illegally detain me and were they negligent while doing so?

:psyduck:

Just kind of blow past the "harassment ticket" part. From the other parts I'm getting strong sovereign citizen vibes.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

People so willing to imagine a TBI when it’s far more likely she’s just an immature idiot whose boyfriend indulges her terrible behavior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

muscles like this! posted:

Just kind of blow past the "harassment ticket" part. From the other parts I'm getting strong sovereign citizen vibes.

The hackles on my neck went up at (the first sentence, lol) “Colorado laws shall apply here,” stated as though they get to pick the most favorable jurisdiction to their cause.