Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im gonna print a scale model of Tokyo so I can dress up as Godzilla and smash the poo poo out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

i kinda want one for bullshit projects. custom brackets and mounts and cases and stuff. you can 3d print reliable gears for bullshit machines these days

hmm tbf there is a bunch of poo poo I could imagine making for my camera

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I have a creality ender 3 pro in my closet that I think I've used and failed to accomplish anything with twice in the two years I've owned it

maybe one day I'll figure out why it doesn't adhere for poo poo but in the meantime it'll continue collecting dust

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you have to clean the dust off first

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

echinopsis posted:

hmm tbf there is a bunch of poo poo I could imagine making for my camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50UtHTSGE24

theres way better uses of them on youtube with people making rc planes and boats and auto-dick suckers and stuff than those reddit posts

e: you 3d model poo poo all the time you could print irl rodtronics

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 30, 2021

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Kazinsal posted:

I have a creality ender 3 pro in my closet that I think I've used and failed to accomplish anything with twice in the two years I've owned it

maybe one day I'll figure out why it doesn't adhere for poo poo but in the meantime it'll continue collecting dust

set your bed temp warmer and switch from skirt to brim

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

e: you 3d model poo poo all the time you could print irl rodtronics

can you imagine the crushing defeat you'd experience after doing this and then contemplating what it was that you've achieved?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve avoided a 3D printer mainly because I don’t want to learn CAD.

every YouTube I see with 3D printing is like “well the first print didn’t work, so I hopped in solidworks and made 15 thousand changes to the model and then ran it through this other program to slice it into chunks and then waited 29 hours for it to print”

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
if you took a drafting class in high school (not using cad but paper), fusion 360 is great and easy to learn for basic stuff.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’ve avoided a 3D printer mainly because I don’t want to learn CAD.

every YouTube I see with 3D printing is like “well the first print didn’t work, so I hopped in solidworks and made 15 thousand changes to the model and then ran it through this other program to slice it into chunks and then waited 29 hours for it to print”

ive only been at it a month but everything ive printed off thingiverse has been fine. i change the bed temp and add a brim for adherence but i for sure have not had to open a cad program yet

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

should I get No Man's Sky and if I do are there any expansions or whatever that are specifically worth it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yes you should because the game, regardless of peoples opinions on the “gamey-ness” of it is a technically impressive showcase of just wildly big numbers, ambitions, and a dev team that has succeeded against all odds.

play it until you get the ability to jump solar systems, by then you’ll know if it’s for you.

also if you have a VR hat, use that with it, but be warned it takes a beefy computer to do NMS VR

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
vr nms sounds fun

im playing rift breakers or something

so far its quite fun. I love base building and this is like satisfactory/factorio plus base defense

I hear its good until its not. but thats ok

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

jesus WEP posted:

titty minis are extremely popular yeah lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

I swear the only way it got aired in the 70s was because they put that laugh track on it. the versions of the DVDs with no laugh track are so incredibly dark that the only thing that really makes you think "this wasn't written recently" is the lack of swearing. it's 50 years old next year and still holds up so well

Yep, i specifically have the no-laugh-track version. It's 100x better that way. some episodes are insanely dark.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

should I get No Man's Sky and if I do are there any expansions or whatever that are specifically worth it?

it’s worth mentioning that all of the expansions/updates are included in the base game for free

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Sagebrush posted:

it's astounding how much has changed. ten years ago you couldn't get an SLA machine for less than $25,000. five years ago you could get a formlabs desktop SLA for like $4,000 and that was revolutionary. now you can go on amazon and get a photon mono overnighted to you for 200 bucks and it will print parts as sharp as that $25,000 SLA all day long with only a single moving part.

and it's entirely been driven by the cell phone industry (and hence the availability of cheap, super-high-res LCDs) lol

I ended up getting a prusa last year because of how much you recommended them in the 3d printer thread. You were right it really was the best choice. I have literally zero problems with the machine. It just works.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

echinopsis posted:

vr nms sounds fun

im playing rift breakers or something

so far its quite fun. I love base building and this is like satisfactory/factorio plus base defense

I hear its good until its not. but thats ok

ive played thru the entire thing. its mostly the same up until the end, you just have more stuff and the aliens get harder. you never have crazy production chains like factorio or satisfactory. they're planning to add some additional biomes and multiplayer later in the year

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bought the HORIZON DAWN ZERO Complete version for a best-ever price on Fanatical,

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/horizon-zero-dawn-complete-edition

got a free mystery game with my buy; if anyone wants a copy of WARHAMMER VERMINTIDE just drop me a pm.

Edit: fuckin' 70GB installs, man - I hate having to houseclean my game drive every time I want to put something new on it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

ive played thru the entire thing. its mostly the same up until the end, you just have more stuff and the aliens get harder. you never have crazy production chains like factorio or satisfactory. they're planning to add some additional biomes and multiplayer later in the year

nice. i got it coz i saw your recommendation on the steam page

i’ve heard bad things about the scanning. we’ll see

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are 2 parts in the campaign where you have to scan stuff to get some tech and at release the spawn rates for both parts made it kind of tedious but i think they fixed that in one of the patches. i did it w/ the release version and even then it wasnt that bad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im way back into satisfactory after update 5. need to find more power so i can get my oil production chains up and running.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

All three of the new Tombs Raider are free on Epic today. I might finally get around to playing more than halfway through one and getting distracted.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

im way back into satisfactory after update 5. need to find more power so i can get my oil production chains up and running.

there’s a lot I love about that game, it’s so satisfying when you start generating obscene levels of things

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

All three of the new Tombs Raider are free on Epic today. I might finally get around to playing more than halfway through one and getting distracted.

they’re all good, but the middle one is the clear high water mark, and the stories are fairly independent, so if you play just one, play that one

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

echinopsis posted:

there’s a lot I love about that game, it’s so satisfying when you start generating obscene levels of things

I got Dyson Sphere Program on the Steam sale and found myself lying awake at night thinking about how I could optimize my dumb baby supply chains.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I got Dyson Sphere Program on the Steam sale and found myself lying awake at night thinking about how I could optimize my dumb baby supply chains.

maybe I should give it another shot, I just couldn’t vibe with it at the time

this rift breaker game is a nice change of pace, and I am a sucker for tower defence

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol cleaning stuff off my games ssd, THE MARKET OF LIGHT was taking up twenty-odd gb so thought I'd at least give it a look before uninstalling it; drat, my old TITAN gpu from six years back will still mostly keep up with games, but this tech demo absolutely murdered it, maybe 8-10fps all the way through at 4K. Looked lovely when I wasn't slideshowing around, mind - the 'level of detail' stuff where it loads in some really detailed textures when you get close-up is some impressive work.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1691400/The_Market_of_Light/

(I found the six extra gems above the ones you need to finish the demo and unlocked the Disco mode)

It's free, give it a half hour to play through.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's really funny how nowadays you can get a terabyte ssd for like a hundred bucks, but it still holds the same number of games as a hundred dollar hard drive did back in 2000

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jabor posted:

it's really funny how nowadays you can get a terabyte ssd for like a hundred bucks, but it still holds the same number of games as a hundred dollar hard drive did back in 2000

Looking again the games SSD here is only 250GB, I think I got it as a bargain sale price; checking now I can pick up a 2TB SSD for about £150, maybe I'll just buy some extra space.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i haven't touched that for like a year now, I wonder how much it's changed

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

ive only played DSP up until Titanium/Silicon and needing to set up stuff on the moon of my first planet. i really ought to play it through until the planetary logistics, i want to see what it turns into at that point

Shaggar posted:

but i did set up a Satisfactory server and have been playing with some friends. we just unlocked trains and im trying to figure out where to expand to so we can set up production for the second to last space elevator objective. almost all of the mats are produced at ratio right now, we just need about 3x more steel going than we've got

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i remember sitting for minutes at a time once i got my cannons all working, just watching the dyson swarm assemble itself

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
turns out hollow knight is pretty good. who knew?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Looking again the games SSD here is only 250GB, I think I got it as a bargain sale price; checking now I can pick up a 2TB SSD for about £150, maybe I'll just buy some extra space.

here are the two ssds you should care about

samsung 980 pro: literally the fastest gen 4.0 transfer rate bad bitch out there. 7000 MB/sec read. will cost you an arm and a leg and its worth every penny
hynix p31: this one isnt as fast but if you care about laptop battery runtime its the best option. #1 power vs mb/sec on the market. im bout to buy a 1t version of this for my music laptop and it should go about 10-11 hours of average use between charges

for my fat ryzen, i bought two sabrent gen4 drives, blew up the c: one because i didnt have a heatsink on it, successfully RMA'd it but bought a 980 pro in the meantime, put heatsinks on both that 980 and the eventually RMA'd sabrent, and they've both been honking fast and hard for a bit now

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Jonny 290 posted:

here are the two ssds you should care about

samsung 980 pro: literally the fastest gen 4.0 transfer rate bad bitch out there. 7000 MB/sec read. will cost you an arm and a leg and its worth every penny
hynix p31: this one isnt as fast but if you care about laptop battery runtime its the best option. #1 power vs mb/sec on the market. im bout to buy a 1t version of this for my music laptop and it should go about 10-11 hours of average use between charges

for my fat ryzen, i bought two sabrent gen4 drives, blew up the c: one because i didnt have a heatsink on it, successfully RMA'd it but bought a 980 pro in the meantime, put heatsinks on both that 980 and the eventually RMA'd sabrent, and they've both been honking fast and hard for a bit now

how fast is that Hynix if you benchmark it with Magician or Crystalmark

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
looks like it still pulls 3.6

nothin to sneeze at

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

been playing huntdown.

side scrolling shooter in the vein of contra.

you play as one of three bounty hunters tasked with eliminating leaders of a several different gangs in the city.

it has a 80s future style. it's real neat.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm playing yakuza kiwami

I beat yakuza 1 and 2 on PS2 console, then 0, then 3, 4, 5, and 6, now I'm doing kiwami and kiwami 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
then I'll have played all the yakuza