Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Are you nerds telling me you don’t carry around a bottle of ever clear at work functions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for setting a glitter trap to catch my mother in law trying to snoop?

MIL gets a lot of benefit of the doubt despite literally violating their trust in overt ways, while OP is evil for trying to prevent it.

Why does this feel like one of those "society writ small" things

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

You have to be a mega hardcore alcoholic to drink everclear straight. That poo poo is just pure gasoline, I can't imagine anyone gulping that outside of the sole purpose of getting drunk.

AITA for letting the Great Soup Lie live?

quote:

Long story: there's this traditional winter soup that's often eaten on December 31st. The good stuff is homemade, but it's a lot of work and you can get countless canned and bagged versions in the supermarket just fine. Atleast, you can if you're not a vegetarian. I'm a vegetarian and years ago I remembered I hadn't had any in ages, so I decided to spend a couple of hours making some myself. It can only really be made in large batches, so I stored in the freezer what I could and dropped some off at my parents as well.

At the time, my mother was the only one home, so I was like "Here's some soup I made. It's vegetarian though. I used vegetable stock and a meat substitue." She was perfectly okay with that. Later that evening, she messaged me. They had the soup for dinner and my father had literally been crying tears of joy into his bowl. He hadn't had the homemade stuff since his mother died, nearly two decades ago, and said my version tasted just like her's. It brought back a lot of fond memories.

I was surprised, because my father is extremely picky when it comes to vegetarian food and would normally avoid meat substitutes at all cost. Then my mother confessed she hadn't told him and asked me to not tell him either.

That was years ago. I've been making soup each winter since then, always sharing a couple of portions with my parents. It's become a little family tradition and something my father looks forward to. He seems to think I'm putting meat in their share just for him. My mother still thinks it's better he doesn't know the truth.

AITA for not killing this soup lie we've been living for years?

Oh, and just to be clear: my dad has no food allergies or intolerances.

:kimchi:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

OhAreThey posted:

Drinking in a bathroom is something you should only do at funerals. Not work parties.
Funerals are for respect and sober reflection. The wake is for drinking and sharing embarrassing stories about the deceased.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Funerals are for respect and sober reflection. The wake is for drinking and sharing embarrassing stories about the deceased.

Right, but I'm talking about protestant funerals. Only place you can drink at those are in the bathroom.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

DemoneeHo posted:

You have to be a mega hardcore alcoholic to drink everclear straight. That poo poo is just pure gasoline, I can't imagine anyone gulping that outside of the sole purpose of getting drunk.

AITA for letting the Great Soup Lie live?

:kimchi:

tell me what the soup is!!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Does someone have the mad med guy who wanted to be don draper but only the drinking at work parts?

quote:

AITA for drinking whiskey in the office at 10:30 in the morning?

I (38M) work a stressful job in finance. After years of climbing my way up the corperate ladder, I finally became a VP at my firm - which comes with its own office!

I'm consider myself a 'classic' kinda guy, and one of the things I admire most about the workplaces of the 1960s (think Mad Men etc), is that the characters always have a jar of whiskey in their hands no matter what time of day it is. Back when I worked the trading floor, it would have been uncouth to do such a thing in front of my colleagues - but I figured no one would care about it now that I have my own office.

I recently purchased some whiskey jars, and a premium bottle ($500+) which I store openly on my desk. I work with some high-end clients, and I'll always offer them a glass when we have important meetings. Unfortunatley, none of them have ever accepted. So, not wanting to let the whiskey go to waste, I've started sipping on a couple of glasses by myself throughout the day, sometimes as early as 10:30 AM.

That was until yesterday morning, when one of my bosses (CTO) burst into the office unannounced, and caught me sipping. He looked shocked, turned his back, and left. At this point the bottle was about half-empty, so it probably looked pretty bad to him. (Although I must add that this was consumed over the course of a whole week - I was drinking slowly enough that it didn't affect my work in any way.)

He sent me a long e-mail about how I have problem and that he's going to contact HR. In the heat of the moment, I sent him a reply telling him maybe he needs a glass or two to lighten up. (I'll admit to being the rear end in a top hat for that part.) I'm scheduled to speak to HR tomorrow and I'm making GBS threads it. Reddit, am I really the rear end in a top hat for sipping whiskey privately in my office?

EDIT: It seems that I'm TA :( I'm going to ensure the whiskey / drinking is hidden from public view in the future + no drinking before lunchtime. Still sucks that I don't get to be Don Draper though :(
as i recall this dude also destroyed his relationship with his black gf in the same month by talking to his black 6 year old stepson about racism without consulting her first.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 31, 2021

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

massive spider posted:

Lots of people hate their jobs and see the office Christmas party as a way to out frustrations passive aggressively with the thin excuse to drink on company time. No one in this story is smart but I understand the emotional motivation.

Except if you're salaried it's not company time. If you're hourly, well, maybe. Although the last company Christmas event I went to ended with an argument about whether we had to use PTO to cover the time we were at the restaurant we were at or not.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pomme de Terror posted:

the part that really gets me is that the keys disappeared before MIL showed up, it's possible that they were legitimately misplaced but it really seems like husband is in on it. not sure what he gets out of MIL snooping except the sheer controlling spite of making his wife uncomfortable, which makes the story particularly creepy

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

sugar mouse posted:

I can never understand these stories when the husband absolutely needs to defend his insane mother against the OP. That's the real concern there tbh.

yes! this part right here:

quote:

My husband says that [ ... ] since we’ve put locks on the rooms we don’t want her in, there isn’t really a problem anymore.

how the gently caress are you saying that about an adult you allow into your home??

(i mean since it's his mother, the answer is probably "learned helplessness from childhood abuse" but we're still right to be shocked)

e:

the holy poopacy posted:

it really seems like husband is in on it. not sure what he gets out of MIL snooping except the sheer controlling spite of making his wife uncomfortable, which makes the story particularly creepy

okay, yes, or that

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Pomme de Terror posted:

Guess you found the way to bond with your MIL. It sucks its by rrenacting Home Alone every year where OP is Kevin and MIL is the Wet Bandits.

If only her husband would reenact The Wizard of Oz as the lion at the end.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

as i recall this dude also destroyed his relationship with his black gf in the same month by talking to his black 6 year old stepson about racism without consulting her first.

The weirdest thing is he could easily swing it as some sort of morning ritual, where he pours like 1 oz of $500 whiskey into a fancy glass and slowly sips on it for hours but doesn't actually get buzzed or just swirls while breathing in the aroma. He definitely nuked any chance of not being tagged as an alcoholic the moment he fired back an angry email suggesting that maybe his boss just needs to drink more and chillax.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

tell me what the soup is!!

They're only giving the name of the soup in PM's. But they do offer up this description

quote:

Mostly several kilos of cheap vegetables boiled to a wholesome and hearthy mush. Most elderly people associate it with a childhood of ice skating, building snow huts and drinking hot cocao in front of the fireplace.

The actual soup looks like sickly green sick with chunks in it. In the old days, people would drop whatever leftover pig meat in there for extra flavour. Like, let a pig's ear soak in there for an hour or two.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Variable 5 posted:

I love these stories. Like, yeah, YTA for using glitter (the herpes of the craft world) but catching people in their own lies owns bones so it evens out.

She was dedicated enough to accept that should would have to clean up the glitter in her own home, so I think NTA.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The Mad Men guy gave an update where he mentioned the HR meeting and said it didn't go well because he immediately offered the HR lady some whiskey, just out of habit.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

compshateme85 posted:

She was dedicated enough to accept that should would have to clean up the glitter in her own home, so I think NTA.

I never said her being one was bad.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

DemoneeHo posted:

They're only giving the name of the soup in PM's. But they do offer up this description

Split pea?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

wizardofloneliness posted:

The Mad Men guy gave an update where he mentioned the HR meeting and said it didn't go well because he immediately offered the HR lady some whiskey, just out of habit.

I so wish that someone in the room asked him why he drank like that, and then went "did you even watch the show?"

Literally every season of Mad Men has the drinking culture be a source of major embarrassment and problems at some point.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

i think its something eastern european/russian just from the fact that its associated with new years eve and the only places where that's the big winter holiday over christmas is there and medieval scotland.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
this was a pretty great "drunk at work" post as well

AITA for ordering Tequila shots for my work colleagues at Friday lunchtime?

quote:

I (26M) work in a busy lab (medical diagnostics), and every Friday we go as team (6-7 people) to a local sports bar to have a 'team-building' lunch on the boss's company card. Yesterday our boss was swamped with deadlines, but said the rest of us could 'go anyway', as long as we paid for any alcoholic drinks ourselves.

Usually, the boss + 1-2 other people will order a small beer with their lunch, so I have consumed alcohol on the clock before in this job. I was even thinking that without the boss there that I might order a big beer this time.

When we arrived though, me and my work-bro (25M) were drawn to a new offer the bar had on tequila shots (5 for $10). In our defence, we had just had a very stressful morning - so we proposed to the team that we buy a single round of shots to commemorate it. A couple of our colleagues were a little reluctant, but after a little convincing we were soon toasting to a morning of hard work.

That's when my work-bro proposed we order a second round of shots. I have a pretty high tolerance to alcohol, so it was no problem with me. I knew for a fact we have a couple of 'lightweight' colleagues - for example, a diminutive Asian lady who rarely drinks (23F) - but we still managed to convince the rest of the table to drink with us a second time.

After that, the two females with us tapped out, but the three remaining guys (myself included) decided to split 10 further tequila shots. In our defence - as far as 'team-building' goes - the outing was a roaring success. I think I learned more about my colleagues in those 1.5 hours than I have in the last 2 years.

Unfortunately, when we got back to the office, our boss could smell the tequila on my breath. My work-bro, very stupidly, decided to be honest, and told him that some of us had had 5+ shots of alcohol at lunch. My boss's face turned bright loving red and he told us all to 'go home' immediately, and that it 'wasn't safe' for us to be working in a lab while inebriated. I calmly explained to him that I infact still felt 'very sober', (I have a very high tolerance remember,) but he wasn't having it.

I'm genuinely worried about what's going to happen on Monday morning. The two female colleagues called me and my work-bro assholes for 'taking it too far and getting everyone into trouble'. I see their point of view - but on the other hand, we did have a really good time while at the bar.

Help us out Reddit - who is the rear end in a top hat here?

EDIT: I'm honestly shocked by the margin of the 'rear end in a top hat' verdict. All we did was have a little fun within our own very well-tested limits. I showed this post to my work-bro, and it's safe to say we're going to have a few shots tonight to hopefully forget about all this and move on.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

i think its something eastern european/russian just from the fact that its associated with new years eve and the only places where that's the big winter holiday over christmas is there and medieval scotland.

Probably makes more sense but I have no idea why it's states secret

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I googled green russian soup and got recipes for sorrel soup aka green borscht. It's probably that.

pentyne posted:

If he hadn't been sent home, I would want to know how many times this guy tried to draw blood for testing, only to drunkenly miss the vein

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

pentyne posted:

"a little fun within our own very well-tested limits" you stupid rear end in a top hat, when you're on the clock you have to stay within your boss' limits. Idiot. Buffoon

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

DemoneeHo posted:

If he hadn't been sent home, I would want to know how many times this guy tried to draw blood for testing, only to drunkenly miss the vein

https://twitter.com/SirEviscerate/status/462722392285253633

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Pomme de Terror posted:

You know people letting their emotions run wild in an argument gets a bad wrap but it feels like in cases like these where the bystanders need a reality check the OP shoulda just beat the mom to the punch and started legit yelling at her for invading their privacy the second it was clear she went into the room.

You get the distinct impression the other people are used to it and don’t think it’s a big deal so make it a big deal and then maybe they will start taking it seriously. Otherwise you just get a broken stair sort of problem everyone tacitly knows about but no one takes any steps to deal with. Or just ban em from your house.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 31, 2021

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don’t see what the big deal is, it’s just chicken noodle soup but they use stars instead of regular noodles

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Medieval Scotland? Christmas day wasnt made a public holiday in Scotland until the late 1950s, and even today Hogmanay is right up there in importance (for adults, the presents obviously swing Xmas for the kids who arent generally allowed to drink alcohol anyway). We still take the first and second of January as bank holidays which the rest of the UK dont.

Also, Hogmanay gets picked up by the spellcheck, because spellcheck is racist.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Medieval Scotland? Christmas day wasnt made a public holiday in Scotland until the late 1950s, and even today Hogmanay is right up there in importance (for adults, the presents obviously swing Xmas for the kids who arent generally allowed to drink alcohol anyway). We still take the first and second of January as bank holidays which the rest of the UK dont.

The 1950s are medieval times for Scotland

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
my girlfriend is Scottish and this is our first holiday together so i just learned the word Hogmanay today

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

SiKboy posted:

Scots is a fake language invented by an insane American wikipedia editor. Of course the spell check calls it out.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DemoneeHo posted:

I've been reading this thread on an off for a while now and this kinda thing always baffles me. Fake names and stuff, sure, but why do they always dance around such utterly irrelevant details like this? There was one a few pages ago that was blatantly about Amway but they just said something paraphrased as "a well known beauty product MLM". Like, what is the point?

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of expat communities are insular and small. Saying that your family is from, like, Northern Ukraine and you are a vegetarian who has been making special meat soup for your dad is like, one internet savvy old lady or jealous cousin away from identifying you.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
AITA for giving my sister 13k to pay for her I.V.F cycle without consulting my husband?

My f33 sister f34 has been struggling with infirtility for years. She and my brother in law resorted to so many options including trying rounds of I.V.F. this is costly so as a result a number of I.V.F cycles had cost them a lot and none of them worked. My sister and brother in law were advised to take break seeing the physical and emotional and financial toll this unsuccesful I.V.F treatment has had on them but my sister wanted to try one more time before she enters her mid thirties where her chances are lower.

My parents refused to give her any more money so she came over to my place where she had a mental breakdown begging me to help. I decided to help her out and helped pay by pulling 13k from my husband and mine's shared account. My husband was out of town for days and I didn't go out of my way to tell him after he missed my initial call before going forth and giving my sister the money.

I brought it with him on the phone later and he blew up at me saying I shouldn't have made such decision and taken money out of our joint account without consulting him first but I said I tried calling and he didn't pick up the first time but he said still I shouldn't have made any moves til I had talked to him first then said he didn't agree that I gave a huge sum of money that he worked hard for given the fact he contributes 70% to this account and said I messed up big time. I tried to explain my sister's situation and how this was an emergency and assured him she'd return the money but he said no she won't since she doesn't even have job, same with her husband and said I shouldn't support their bad decision to want a baby when they're broke to negin with. I had an argument with him and said he was acting cruel and unsupportive of my family but he corrected me saying he's not a doormat and he worked hard for the money that I had no problem giving away without even telling him but that is my sister and I felt obligated to help her out yet he refused to understand that.

That was the last time we spoke, he demanded I take the money back asap but I haven't responded to him yet. AITA or was he?

I always want these "I did something wholly incompatible with being a partner in a marriage" stories to advise as to whether there's kids in the picture so I can figure out how messy the divorce is going to be

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Vitruvian Manic posted:

A lot of expat communities are insular and small. Saying that your family is from, like, Northern Ukraine and you are a vegetarian who has been making special meat soup for your dad is like, one internet savvy old lady or jealous cousin away from identifying you.

But they’re not an expat or they wouldn’t have large quantities of canned sorrel available in the supermarket!!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

olylifter posted:

AITA for giving my sister 13k to pay for her I.V.F cycle without consulting my husband?

My f33 sister f34 has been struggling with infirtility for years. She and my brother in law resorted to so many options including trying rounds of I.V.F. this is costly so as a result a number of I.V.F cycles had cost them a lot and none of them worked. My sister and brother in law were advised to take break seeing the physical and emotional and financial toll this unsuccesful I.V.F treatment has had on them but my sister wanted to try one more time before she enters her mid thirties where her chances are lower.

My parents refused to give her any more money so she came over to my place where she had a mental breakdown begging me to help. I decided to help her out and helped pay by pulling 13k from my husband and mine's shared account. My husband was out of town for days and I didn't go out of my way to tell him after he missed my initial call before going forth and giving my sister the money.

I brought it with him on the phone later and he blew up at me saying I shouldn't have made such decision and taken money out of our joint account without consulting him first but I said I tried calling and he didn't pick up the first time but he said still I shouldn't have made any moves til I had talked to him first then said he didn't agree that I gave a huge sum of money that he worked hard for given the fact he contributes 70% to this account and said I messed up big time. I tried to explain my sister's situation and how this was an emergency and assured him she'd return the money but he said no she won't since she doesn't even have job, same with her husband and said I shouldn't support their bad decision to want a baby when they're broke to negin with. I had an argument with him and said he was acting cruel and unsupportive of my family but he corrected me saying he's not a doormat and he worked hard for the money that I had no problem giving away without even telling him but that is my sister and I felt obligated to help her out yet he refused to understand that.

That was the last time we spoke, he demanded I take the money back asap but I haven't responded to him yet. AITA or was he?

I always want these "I did something wholly incompatible with being a partner in a marriage" stories to advise as to whether there's kids in the picture so I can figure out how messy the divorce is going to be

She's completely slagged in the comments. Her responses:

quote:

I admit that I did want to wait but my sister pushed for me to give the money as soon as I could.
r/AmItheAsshole4h

I don't know and I didn't feel like it was my place to ask but I heard my brother in law has a job in line that requires some sort of training that he might get in the future.
r/AmItheAsshole4h

Yes she wanted the money as soon as possible. First she requested that I don't tell my husband because they have a rocky relationship and she was afraid he'd say no.
r/AmItheAsshole4h

Because my husband and I don't have any immediate use for the money we have so I figured why not lend my sister some and she will pay it back once things get better.
r/AmItheAsshole4h

What part of all of this was an emergency?

My sister said it was. She's been having more mental breakdowns lately so much we all felt worried for her health. She told us having money to pay for another cycle of ivf is all she needed for her mental and emotional health to improve.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

imagine the catastrophe in waiting that would be her having a child

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Lotus Aura posted:

I've been reading this thread on an off for a while now and this kinda thing always baffles me. Fake names and stuff, sure, but why do they always dance around such utterly irrelevant details like this? There was one a few pages ago that was blatantly about Amway but they just said something paraphrased as "a well known beauty product MLM". Like, what is the point?

I particularly hate the ones that start "I work for a company that rhymes with Ballmart"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I couldn't imagine glitterbombing my own house, but glitterbomb lady does have a really cute explanation for why she doesn't mind doing it:

quote:

Fortunately we have a toddler with a deeply held attachment to both a DustBuster and glitter. He was delighted to find his skills were needed.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

oh jay posted:

I particularly hate the ones that start "I work for a company that rhymes with Ballmart"

Yeah PaulBlart is right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Scots is a fake language invented by an insane American wikipedia editor. Of course the spell check calls it out.

It's a real dialect apart from the insane American wikipedia editor, but lots of people are really really mad if you call it a dialect rather than a language.