Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

cinci zoo sniper posted:

also what the gently caress does “that 911 company” mean, is your national emergency response coordination service privatised? :stonklol:

lol yeah dude. 911, ambulances, fire are all private companies that contract with various municipalities at least here in Denver. We have "west metro" for our ambulances here, for example

Oh also

quote:

national emergency response coordination service

Does not exist, is not a thing outside of FEMA which generally only shows up for like hurricanes or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anyways it sounds that we agree about the unfortunate comedy of 911 response there

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

lol yeah dude. 911, ambulances, fire are all private companies that contract with various municipalities at least here in Denver. We have "west metro" for our ambulances here, for example

Oh also

Does not exist, is not a thing outside of FEMA which generally only shows up for like hurricanes or whatever.

:staredog: please avoid accidents, i enjoy your posts

i meant 911 under the coordination bit, as in “the phone to call when things go to poo poo, which then forwards your call to appropriate institution”. fema equivalent here is something entirely else too

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cinci zoo sniper posted:

also what the gently caress does “that 911 company” mean, is your national emergency response coordination service privatised? :stonklol:

Hahahaha welcome to loving America

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
FWIW, these are only privatized in certain parts of the country. In many (most?) places, 911 routes to the police department dispatch. Fire service is only privatized in East Turducken where the cows outnumber the people, the nearest "city" (large town) is 50 miles away, and only Meth and Opioids bring any kind of feeling into your life. In most of the country (population-wise), there's a fire department that the city/town/municipality runs, and or volunteer fire service.

The ambulance thing though is pretty lovely and consistent AIUI, the best case is you've got a Fire Department ambulance or a Volunteer ambulance. The people working for these are all going to be motivated, but it changes if you get a loving laffo sized bill.

But yeah, welcome to America, etc.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

those signs exist where you have to make a decision to continue on the road or not. if im at a 20km stretch with no intersections, having just passed a minor turn to grover family mansion that’s 300 metres off the road, there’s no impetus for a road sign to be there on my road to tell me that there’s a right turn to goongrad upcoming in 20 km, that’s just wasted signage since the previous intersection did inform me to continue on this road towards goongrad. likewise i have no reason to pay attention to, or keep it in mind even if i did, that the most recent turn was to grover family mansion. the road side across the mansion road exit will have a sign, but it will only relate to the immediate road, e.g., “foopolis to the left, 20km; bar city to the right, 70km”

the idea that you should have an uninterrupted stretch of the road with repeat signage about the intersection ahead for miles upon miles on repeat is very silly - if the traffic is that heavy and there’s a lot of lanes for some complicated aqueduct entry, a sign or two briefly before should be more than sufficient even if you aren’t driving with lane guidance or some other knowledge about, e.g., having to do a left turn on the next intersection

in america, the only roads I've seen with mile markers are highways, or other remote major roads with few opportunities to get off the road. usually they have numbered exits that are signed well in advance

that's why everyone's acting like it's no big deal to know the next exit

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hahaha my god that exchange bug is amazing they were just concatenating all the digits in YYMMDDHHMM and storing it as a long so it rolled over from 2112312359 to 2201010001 all at once

best date encoding format ever

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I know from Geoguessr that, while in Europe you see signposts saying "fooville thattaway ==> 3km, bartown ^^^ thattaway 7km" at any intersection of any through road, in America they're far and few between and the only orientation you get is street names and, if you're lucky, some ad billboard with the current town name on it.

Even the "You're now entering town X" signs are quite rare in America, here they're required on *every* road leading into town because that sign also indicates where the in-town speed limit begins.

I have no idea how Americans navigated before GPS, did you need to stop every 5 minutes to go look at a paper map or something?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh no we dont understand the concept of linear space, we just kept driving till we found a place we wanted to stop at. Enormous time sink.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

I know from Geoguessr that, while in Europe you see signposts saying "fooville thattaway ==> 3km, bartown ^^^ thattaway 7km" at any intersection of any through road, in America they're far and few between and the only orientation you get is street names and, if you're lucky, some ad billboard with the current town name on it.

Even the "You're now entering town X" signs are quite rare in America, here they're required on *every* road leading into town because that sign also indicates where the in-town speed limit begins.

I have no idea how Americans navigated before GPS, did you need to stop every 5 minutes to go look at a paper map or something?

You stay on the roads that have numbers or you get busy building a life in your new hometown that you can't find a way out of. These were the only choices.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

in america, the only roads I've seen with mile markers are highways, or other remote major roads with few opportunities to get off the road. usually they have numbered exits that are signed well in advance

i see. roads here never have numbered exits, but we have kilometre markers on every public road, excluding forest roads (which are roads around a forest, rather than leasing through a forest from village A to village B). even a single lane gravel road that was last repaired when lenin was alive will be properly kitted out with those

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 1, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also, knowing previous exit bothers me way more than knowing the next exit

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 1, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Carbon dioxide posted:

not needing to store all that locational data in my head was nice, more room for memes up there now

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

oh no we dont understand the concept of linear space, we just kept driving till we found a place we wanted to stop at. Enormous time sink.

i mean this explains why we have so many roads and cars i guess, gotta build enough roads to make sure people always can keep driving until they wanna stop

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

near the north/south highway (not interstate) where i grew up there was a rather large sign that both told you how far away until the next city, and below that how far away until Miami. Miami was like 200 miles away, and there were lots of other, closer cities that could have been on that sign, but that's all you got. 20 miles to [next city], 200 miles to miami, then like some blank space at the bottom of the sign because it was clearly meant to have more things written on that size of a sign.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

near the north/south highway (not interstate) where i grew up there was a rather large sign that both told you how far away until the next city, and below that how far away until Miami. Miami was like 200 miles away, and there were lots of other, closer cities that could have been on that sign, but that's all you got. 20 miles to [next city], 200 miles to miami, then like some blank space at the bottom of the sign because it was clearly meant to have more things written on that size of a sign.

There's a whole subcommittee of the Association of American State Highway and Traffic Officials tasked with deciding which cities are important enough to be on Interstate signs

https://traffic.transportation.org/interstate-control-cities/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

hahaha, that's like travelling from riga to my hometown.

12 km to town
784 km to MOSCOW

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

you get some weird ones occasionally. on i-70 west just outside of baltimore there's one that has distances to st louis, denver, and los angeles. farther down the road there are more useful ones for smaller and closer cities but i guess that one is there to make a point to transcontinental drivers.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GWBBQ posted:

I once called 911 because someone who looked disoriented was walking on an Interstate, and when I told them the mile marker, the dispatcher said "we don't use mile markers, what exits are you between? If I gave them a w3w code they probably would have sent out a trooper to sobriety test me.

There is a secret on the Eisenhower interstate System, exits are just mile markers too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's america baby!

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

I pay attention when I'm getting to my exit, but if I'm halfway through a long stretch of highway then I'm not going to have any idea what the previous or next exit is 90% of the time

but around here they make sure exit numbers and mile markers are the same so problem solved

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what the actual loving gently caress
of the many ways I might choose to describe state police, "useful" is not one of them.

hobbesmaster posted:

was it a perimeter road
lol, no, it was I95 through southwest Connecticut (the major highway that goes along the US east coast from the tip of Florida up to the Canadian border, and I was about 35mi/58km north of New York City).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

you get some weird ones occasionally. on i-70 west just outside of baltimore there's one that has distances to st louis, denver, and los angeles. farther down the road there are more useful ones for smaller and closer cities but i guess that one is there to make a point to transcontinental drivers.
is that the main route from the Port? would make sense for cross country truckers for sure.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Chris Knight posted:

is that the main route from the Port? would make sense for cross country truckers for sure.

so they can look at how far they have to go and just sigh

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

one of the things that annoys the piss out of me with CA roads is that exit numbers and mile numbers are distinct

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The name control city sounds way cooler than it is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_city

A control city is a city, locality, or other location posted on a series of traffic signs along a particular stretch of road indicating destinations on that route.[1] Together with route numbers and cardinal directions, these focal points aid the motorist navigating along a highway system. Such cities appear on signs at junctions to indicate where the intersecting road goes and where the road ahead goes. They are also typically used on distance signs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GWBBQ posted:

I once called 911 because someone who looked disoriented was walking on an Interstate, and when I told them the mile marker, the dispatcher said "we don't use mile markers, what exits are you between? If I gave them a w3w code they probably would have sent out a trooper to sobriety test me.

But exit numbers are aligned with mile markers, aren't they?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
witness the worst infrastructure crime in the united states

mystes
May 31, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

But exit numbers are aligned with mile markers, aren't they?
Massachusetts has been changing all of them to align them so maybe not everywhere?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Midjack posted:

the times i've gone on a road trip to LA and back i always loled at the control city for I-10 east which is "Other Desert Cities"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

witness the worst infrastructure crime in the united states

i assume they just got tired of replacing the sign after it gets stolen to adorn a freshman's dorm room every single day

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shame Boy posted:

i assume they just got tired of replacing the sign after it gets stolen to adorn a freshman's dorm room every single day

exactly correct, lol

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shame Boy posted:

Yes, because that sign isn't stolen just as much.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The way you give directions where I'm from is: OK, keep going down here a couple miles until you get to the gas station and turn right on the Yellow Belt. Keep going until you get to the hardware store that used to be a Pizza Hut and turn left, but if you get to where the old lumberyard used to be you went too far...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

being able to read maps is a life skill, you know

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you could also pull up next to random strangers and ask them for directions, or so I'm told by smirking boomers

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

endlessmonotony posted:

Yes, because that sign isn't stolen just as much.

correct, it isn't.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

that makes sense; it's the main west route out of town and 95 is how you go north or south out of baltimore.

mystes posted:

Massachusetts has been changing all of them to align them so maybe not everywhere?

georgia used to be sequential exits but changed over to mileage about 20 years ago. most states in the us have moved to mileage but there are a few that haven't.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

the times i've gone on a road trip to LA and back i always loled at the control city for I-10 east which is "Other Desert Cities"

see that’s the kind of state vs state pettiness that should be mandatory. just think what kind of fun Michigan and Ohio would have with I-75

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

"there's some towns here and stuff. be glad we even made this sign"