Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

But exit numbers are aligned with mile markers, aren't they?
nope

Carbon dioxide posted:

I have no idea how Americans navigated before GPS, did you need to stop every 5 minutes to go look at a paper map or something?
With a road atlas. Let's go with Rand McNally https://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-Large-Scale-Atlas/dp/0528023780/

Start by opening it up to the index, and find the state and region you need to navigate

Traveling a long distance and want to know how long of a drive it is from city to city? Use the mileage chart

Where are you heading? now go to the map.

This is the left page when you have the atlas open. The Jacksonville inset is a zoom-in from the right page, but they put it there because you're probably not driving in the water. Since these are Amazon preview images, you're just going to have to trust me that Jacksonville is over there.

Let's say you're going from Tallahassee to Jacksonville. You can see that I-10 runs east out of the north part of Tallahassee, so you're going to take that Jacksonville . You can find the distance between the two on the mileage chart.

Now you're probably not familiar with Tallahassee, but you're in luck! There's a light grey box around it labeled "51" so you just have to flip back to page 51 and you'll get the zoomed in box like there is around Jacksonville. Since you're in Florida you most likely want to spend as much time as possibgle getting away from wherever you are, so you'll probably want the whole state Atlas and Gazetteer https://www.amazon.com/DeLorme%C2%A...s=books&sr=1-22. It has the same convenient numbers across the top and letters down the side, and you can use those to find towns and individual roads.

They used to all be laminated, which was convenient because you could use a dry erase marker and wipe it off after each trip. Or have a passenger navigate and completely ignore their directions, then scream at them once you realize you wasted half an hour by not listening. Also, don't forget to have a good number of quarters, dimes, and nickels plus a bunch of singles on hand for tolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

witness the worst infrastructure crime in the united states

i feel like it would be funnier to steal this one though

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
this Exchange date thing is so goddamn stupid but good lord I’m glad I’ll be retired before 2038.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

There is a secret on the Eisenhower interstate System, exits are just mile markers too.

i was wondering when someone was going to point this out

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

its also weird that no one mentioned that the whole reason the 911 operator is asking is because maybe you know offhand and the whole point is to tell the police dispatch which exit is the last one they can use to access the highway and which is too far down the road that would they would be unable to encounter the individual

the point is to eliminate opportunity for error since its a literal game of telephone

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if that was the case they'd say "marker 125, that's between Farttown and Buttston, right?"

saying "we don't use mile markers" and asking for the exit information cold is an indication that they're too organizationally dysfunctional to figure out where a particular mile marker is

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

california doesn't (or didn't) use real mile markers

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

But exit numbers are aligned with mile markers, aren't they?

not some of the older interstates, which just number them 1, 2, 3a, 3b, 3c, 4, etc. nj turnpike & ny thruway still do that

can recommend https://www.aaroads.com for all sorts of road nerd needs.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

animist posted:

i feel like it would be funnier to steal this one though

it’s not as funny

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

witness the worst infrastructure crime in the united states

what about the renaming of us-666

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GWBBQ posted:

nope

With a road atlas. Let's go with Rand McNally https://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-Large-Scale-Atlas/dp/0528023780/

Start by opening it up to the index, and find the state and region you need to navigate

Traveling a long distance and want to know how long of a drive it is from city to city? Use the mileage chart

Where are you heading? now go to the map.

This is the left page when you have the atlas open. The Jacksonville inset is a zoom-in from the right page, but they put it there because you're probably not driving in the water. Since these are Amazon preview images, you're just going to have to trust me that Jacksonville is over there.

Let's say you're going from Tallahassee to Jacksonville. You can see that I-10 runs east out of the north part of Tallahassee, so you're going to take that Jacksonville . You can find the distance between the two on the mileage chart.

Now you're probably not familiar with Tallahassee, but you're in luck! There's a light grey box around it labeled "51" so you just have to flip back to page 51 and you'll get the zoomed in box like there is around Jacksonville. Since you're in Florida you most likely want to spend as much time as possibgle getting away from wherever you are, so you'll probably want the whole state Atlas and Gazetteer https://www.amazon.com/DeLorme%C2%A...s=books&sr=1-22. It has the same convenient numbers across the top and letters down the side, and you can use those to find towns and individual roads.

They used to all be laminated, which was convenient because you could use a dry erase marker and wipe it off after each trip. Or have a passenger navigate and completely ignore their directions, then scream at them once you realize you wasted half an hour by not listening. Also, don't forget to have a good number of quarters, dimes, and nickels plus a bunch of singles on hand for tolls.

An effort post that I started to feel was a poo poo post until I realized that there really may be some people here who are actually too young to remember these and :corsair:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Volmarias posted:

An effort post that I started to feel was a poo poo post until I realized that there really may be some people here who are actually too young to remember these and :corsair:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

pre-ordering a “TripTik” from AAA before a trip

their office had a library of thousands of pages of maps of segments of interstate and they would assemble a custom map all bound up for you.

then when you come in to pick it up they walked you through it and highlighted the route on every page with a yellow highlighter, usually telling you where a good place to stop would be or the like too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I loving love maps, i remember the big atlases, hell yes

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm old enough to have navigated with a roadmap lol.

My point was that having sign posts as well makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the first real road trip i took by myself was in 2000

this girl i was in love with was 'stuck in joliet' and wanted to come back to hot springs, and i thought that if i drove like a thousand miles she'd go out with me

so i got in my $500 chevy nova and blasted across the midsouth corridor, cranking White Pony on my sony cassette deck the whole way

halfway through my rear brakes failed. i pulled over, crimped off the lines with a pair of vise grips, and carried on

She took me to a couple of house parties and that's when i was introduced to midwesterners 'having a drink' by filling a 32 oz big gulp cup with straight vodka, adding a splash of 7-up, and just downing it. Holy poo poo everybody in the cheese belt is a loving raging alcoholic

anyways that was a fun trip and that old piece of poo poo still broke 26 mpg at eighty miles an hour the whole way. Whole cost for the week long trip was under $300 and we got burgers a few times.

The girl, eh, hope she's well, havent talked to her in like 20 years.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
But did you get head

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm old enough to have navigated with a roadmap lol.

My point was that having sign posts as well makes it a hell of a lot easier.

entire eastern europe navigated like that until like mid 2010s, excluding truck drivers and fat cats who could afford a tomtom

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jonny 290 posted:

the first real road trip i took by myself was in 2000

this girl i was in love with was 'stuck in joliet' and wanted to come back to hot springs, and i thought that if i drove like a thousand miles she'd go out with me

so i got in my $500 chevy nova and blasted across the midsouth corridor, cranking White Pony on my sony cassette deck the whole way

halfway through my rear brakes failed. i pulled over, crimped off the lines with a pair of vise grips, and carried on

She took me to a couple of house parties and that's when i was introduced to midwesterners 'having a drink' by filling a 32 oz big gulp cup with straight vodka, adding a splash of 7-up, and just downing it. Holy poo poo everybody in the cheese belt is a loving raging alcoholic

anyways that was a fun trip and that old piece of poo poo still broke 26 mpg at eighty miles an hour the whole way. Whole cost for the week long trip was under $300 and we got burgers a few times.

The girl, eh, hope she's well, havent talked to her in like 20 years.

Road trips are the best part of car culture. Everything else is the worst.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when i was an organizer i spent a lot of time with maps talking to workers in rural areas. i remember those times very fondly. maps and backroads own

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i don't miss going to the post office to figure out wtf for rural routes though

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
did you know that a lot of young people also don’t know how to read analog clocks

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

did you know that a lot of young people also don’t know how to read analog clocks
company i worked for came up with a whiteboard question to write a function that takes in a datetime and returns the number of degrees between the hour and minute hands of the clock. literally the first candidate we used it on was partially sighted and obviously had never learned to read a clock

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Wild EEPROM posted:

to be fair, neither does the 46th president of the united states

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

to be fair, neither does the 46th president of the united states

I think that's drawing one

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wild EEPROM posted:

That's actually pretty sad since analog clocks are useful even if you can't speak the local language. But really that's on the parents. Analog clocks arne't complicated, you only have to teach them once, and then maybe a quick reminder.

E: Actually I guess I'll need to get an analog clock for the future child. It also helps with Geometry and learning angles.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 3, 2022

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

company i worked for came up with a whiteboard question to write a function that takes in a datetime and returns the number of degrees between the hour and minute hands of the clock. literally the first candidate we used it on was partially sighted and obviously had never learned to read a clock

so it was working as intended as a plausibly deniable way to reject handicapped people I take it?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That's actually pretty sad since analog clocks are useful even if you can't speak the local language. But really that's on the parents. Analog clocks arne't complicated, you only have to teach them once, and then maybe a quick reminder.

are digital clocks commonly shown in the local language or something

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like you take a trip to rome and everyone's watch is showing XI:XIV

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shame Boy posted:

is there anywhere that doesn't use arabic numerals?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shame Boy posted:

You may know the numbers, but you may not know what 12:00 is in Lebanese :shrug: You may also not know how to convey "in 3 hours" in the local language.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

i'll tell you in a minute, it's time for my 四:二〇 break

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

You may know the numbers, but you may not know what 12:00 is in Lebanese :shrug:

i dont think sexuality has anything to do with basic math skills friend

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Shame Boy posted:

are yours not

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

ask a republican family in Ohio

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

My mind was blown when a student worker looked at a clock, pulled out his phone to check the time for me, and explained "I'm not good at reading circle time."

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

circle time lmfao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

GWBBQ posted:

My mind was blown when a student worker looked at a clock, pulled out his phone to check the time for me, and explained "I'm not good at reading circle time."

holy poo poo lmfao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GWBBQ posted:

im in genuine angst from reading this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GWBBQ posted:

Owns.