Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Silver Falcon posted:

Can you not change them? :psyduck:

I bet (I loving HOPE) you'll be able to change them when the game actually launches. It's only the demo atm, right?

Christ usually you can at least count on PC games to have fully customizable controls. Imo EVERY GAME EVER should let you change the controls, but that's a separate rant.

The only thing I couldnt change was how to scroll the item bar because mouse wheel was bound to move the social bar. Maybe this will be fixed? but who knows.

I used to love the MHW controls before iceborne but they changed buttons around with iceborne that made me hate to play ranged guns,

Edit: I got the mouse wheel to change to the item bar, not sure which thing I changed cause I was changing all the options outside the keybinds window.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Fruits of the sea posted:

Got back into playing MHW over the holidays.

Insect glaive is a horrible trap because you get used to vaulting out of danger in almost every situation. Then Diablos comes along with a hitbox the size of the Empire State Building and swats me out of the air every goddamn time.

Lance is sorta like this also because you're so used to just not giving a gently caress about monsters that when one can hurt you through guard its like wtf

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Do I need to watch the monster hunter movie with Capcom star Milla Jovovich to prepare myself for the story of Monster Hunter Rise?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Tenzarin posted:

Do I need to watch the monster hunter movie with Capcom star Milla Jovovich to prepare myself for the story of Monster Hunter Rise?

yes

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

Absolutely

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Tenzarin posted:

dont forget the anime movie where the boy joins the 5th fleet after defending a lunastra attack on his village. although idk if rise takes place in that area.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So this monster hunter movie is pretty strange. The monsters really murder and eat people and no ones explaining the plot to me and the hunter has tied up MIllia Jovovich and took her hostage. None of this ever happens in the game.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Did you do the Romance hunt? All this comes up in Iceborne.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Oh thank god Ron Perlman is now canon and also the Admiral(that's gonna really be hard on my head canon also) to the monster hunter world to explain the plot of the movie to me over halfway through the movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ends on a cliffhanger wtf. And doesn't explain what the insect glaive the hunter was using was or how MIllia Jovovich can now also jump 20 feet into the air. The movie turned into a congo rip off where rathalos are now trained monsters by an ancient civilization like the mountain gorillas. I was sure glad to watch the us military fight the rathalos too, just like in the games but Reign of Fire did it better with Christian Bale. I wonder how much Capcom got paid or paid to make a feature length movie that was basically the intro movies to the old games.

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011
Tempted by rise but I would most likely play solo, most of the footage I've looked at shows multilayer, is this game viable and fun solo or made to played with others?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shadski posted:

Tempted by rise but I would most likely play solo, most of the footage I've looked at shows multilayer, is this game viable and fun solo or made to played with others?

In my experience, both. Monsters have their stats and behavior adjusted for multiplayer, they're all doable solo. In addition, there are Village Quests for the first half of the game that are solo-exclusive. If you enjoy MH already, you'll enjoy Rise.

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011
It would be my first Mon hun game

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Monster hunter world is 20 bucks on steam sale. You could try that out to see if you like the game genre(monster hunter counts as its own game type doesn't it?) and then you could get the expansion iceborne on another sale. Unless you just want to play the new one.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Are SOS flares in Rise?

As someone who normally prefers solo, that's a really chill and fun way to group with folks. The people who join to help my sorry rear end in tough fights are always really friendly.

E:

ZeusCannon posted:

Lance is sorta like this also because you're so used to just not giving a gently caress about monsters that when one can hurt you through guard its like wtf

That's the next weapon I was thinking of picking up, if only because I always end up choosing the squishy dodging class in any game, and its time I tried something new.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 1, 2022

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Are SOS flares in Rise?

Yeah, they changed how it's presented, but functionally you can still have people hop into your game mid-hunt.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

snergle posted:

dont forget the anime movie where the boy joins the 5th fleet after defending a lunastra attack on his village. although idk if rise takes place in that area.

That kid is one of the hunters from World.

Also gah, I keep remember how dark that movie got at the end. Jesus

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That's the next weapon I was thinking of picking up, if only because I always end up choosing the squishy dodging class in any game, and its time I tried something new.

Do it. Lance was a revelation when I first tried it. Easiest weapon to sit in front of a monster's face with imo. You can do it with any of them, but Lance both encourages it and lets you revel in it. Lance hops are also deeply satisfying in themselves and let you be more precise in movement.

My favorite weapons all have shields, come to think of it: Gunlance, Charge Blade, SnS, Lance, HBG. (Yes, I use the SnS shield when needed.)

I played through my first run of my first MH, World, with Charge Blade and played it like a Dark Souls dodge rolling weapon until I hit Diablos for the first time - first solo triple cart - and started to use the shield and then later the guard point.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Shadski posted:

In addition to what the others said, solo is fun because the monster is way more predictable being solely focused on you. You can have a better sense of what the monster is about to do, which is harder in MP as it is constantly switching targets and attacks.

World is fun solo. It was my first MH and I ran every monster solo the first encounter and then MP when farming parts.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Shadski posted:

Everything in the game is scaled for either solo or multiplayer. The monsters have more hp the more players that join you. Everything is very soloable.

If its your first MH game its very much recommended to start with the village quests, the single player only. They have less hp than the hub monsters, even when you play the hub solo. You'll struggle with the controls if its your first MH but really the early village quests arent that difficult. Especially once you get a hang of the wirebug. Once you get decent gear you can tackle the hub quests.

The only issue you might have are the hub rampages. Which will be scaled for solo if playing by yourself, so they are very doable. But its just easier (and more fun) in a group. There are some difficult hub quests, like the Mizutsune urgent, that you might want to call in help for if you are having trouble.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Monster hunter world is 20 bucks on steam sale. You could try that out to see if you like the game genre(monster hunter counts as its own game type doesn't it?) and then you could get the expansion iceborne on another sale. Unless you just want to play the new one.

This is what I did when I first tried the rise demo but wasn't sold enough to pay 60 bucks and in retrospect I think I would have bounced off the series if I hadn't

WRT Rise vs World as a first game it depends on if the thing drawing you to the series is an interest in the fights or the monsters themselves; World gives them all a suitably epic introduction and Rise catapults you into killing them as fast as possible

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Shadski posted:

I've played probably 2/3 of my 122 hours alone and it's been great. If the money's not an issue get Rise, it's way more newcomer friendly than World IMHO.

I would recommend watching videos on Arrekz' channel when you have questions, they're really good

wuggles fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 1, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I think it boils down to a difference of what draws you into games. If all you care about is the gameplay and getting there asap, Rise is gonna be the better choice as it's just Monster Huntin' with the occasional chat with an NPC.

World is far more immersive. It's like, well, a whole New World to explore. The overall experience of everything, together.

My bias is obvious, as World/IB was in fact my first monhun game, and nothing in Rise really caught ahold of me like World did. :shrug:

I don't think either is particularly newbie friendly over the other, as neither does a great job of explaining the core concepts of hunting monsters and those are better passed on by your fellow players. Rise will be getting its expansion as well, which will bring it much closer in parity of World in terms of actual content.

World/IB will always have Rise beat for story bosses though, unless Sunbreak really carries it hard.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
That's generally how these things go, but I'm wondering if things will be a little different, because it's normally like "Monster Hunter 4" then "Monster Hunter 4: GU" as the "DLC." The G-rank expansions normally add like two base games worth of content. I could see Rise getting an ungodly amount of content based on the timing and everything. It normally adds a new third rank like "Master" or "G" or something, and then adds a bunch of poo poo.

Iceborne added 42 monsters with it's expansion and 30 new key quests, not even counting the optional side stuff that's good.

I didn't like World as much as Rise and Double Cross, but it was good as hell. I'm actually doing a new save file play through while I wait for Sunbreak to come out.

I found the tower segments really boring in World, and fighting on the back of the giant monster really didn't do it for me either. Then again I'm broke brained and love hunting for tracks and stuff for the tempered monsters. I like it when missions require an absurdly high Hunter Rank, so you go back and help newbies a ton to get it leveled up. My #1 favorite feature in Rise though is the "Join Random Hunt" button, where you just eat up, put on your best gear, and just queue up for the first mission that's been waiting the longest. Helping people is just fun. I wish I could stick with them when they cart like as a party, but other then that Rise is my favorite.

The palamutes are sick as hell as well. I don't ever use them because I love having thieving palicoes and support palicoes, but running around on the back of a dog is so much fun. The wire bug is also dope as hell, just flinging yourself around. It reminds me of Touikiden 2, which is sadly dead but was super dope.

World though, is so unique I can definitely see people bouncing off Rise because it doesn't give you that lived in feel. It's not a huge sprawling base with things growing and getting better and bigger around you. The Mochi cats aren't as fun as Buff Chef cat, and the animations don't upgrade as you get more stuff. Rise kind of feels like a budget game next to World, because World just had so much to make itself look and feel like a living breathing place, while Rise just tries to keep you from running around too much in the village, and being able to immediately access what you need. You never have to leave the Guild Hall if you don't want too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The newest game is prob best but Rise is a year old already because it's been out on the switch but I can't ignore that you get monster hunter world for 20 bucks right now on the steam sale. Monster hunter world has a ton of stuff to do so the value for your money is way higher and if you like it and you want more, there's iceborne that is also getting a sale price or goes on sale. Rise on steam might not see a price break for an entire year.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

comparing the games is pointless because it's all monster hunter and it's all good and if you don't like a specific mechanic in one of the games then it's fine because chances are you like 5 others introduced at the same time and ultimately 95% of them will not be carried forward, anyways, so all we can do is engage in the inexorable march forward of time and hunt things while the devs occasionally poke their heads out of a hole in the ground like gophers and throw new entries and updates at us

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bring back grandma chef

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Shadski posted:

It would be my first Mon hun game

Rise is probably the most accessible MonHun. The mobility of wirebugs and the RNG being located in trinkets make the grind that is there feel a lot more optional. Kill things, build things, roll trinkets with the rest. You’ll get by fine with what you’ll get and god-tier trinkets help, but are really only required for crazy meta-gamey stuff that 99% of the population isn’t going to touch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Rise is more immersive as my name is Peter Parker

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Rise is also by far the easiest MH because can can always hop on your doggo to heal or sharpen

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

wirefall lets you dodge out of a hit and also sheathes your weapon letting you start chugging a potion almost immediately after getting hit. It’s insanely loving broken in comparison to other games where the trick was to stay down (and invulnerable) to avoid any follow up hits.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Also my assumption with Rise on PC is that you'll be able to mod in whatever trinket you want so you can avoid that stupid grind

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
No-one else can see my Monster Hunter World mods right? Other then MHW Transmog I mean?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Rise is also visually a lot cleaner which makes it easier to fight monsters in. World could have the issues in some of its maps where things would get muddy or hard to parse because of the immensely detailed nature of the world which harmed its playability imo. World also committed the unforgiveable sin of making most of the weapons look boring.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Boba Pearl posted:

No-one else can see my Monster Hunter World mods right? Other then MHW Transmog I mean?

Don't worry, only you can see your hunter's shining, bare booty.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

World is not for lewd.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
One thing about Lance is it feels slow till you realize how fast the charge makes you. So get used to the charge. Also this may have been a personal thing but the charge is a single press and another press to cancel / strike which always threw me off because it feels like it should be a press and hold thing (i think? Its been a bit).but if you press and hold the buttons it will abort the charge early and because of that for the longest time i thought it was useless except over very short distances which is wildly wrong.

Lance is the second easiest weapon to mount with becauae of chargin up walls.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Zore posted:

Rise is also visually a lot cleaner which makes it easier to fight monsters in. World could have the issues in some of its maps where things would get muddy or hard to parse because of the immensely detailed nature of the world which harmed its playability imo. World also committed the unforgiveable sin of making most of the weapons look boring.

The number of times I have been unable to locate a tail because it fell in some bushes is a crime and I hate it

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Ok good, what I do to my armor and character in MH:W is between me and our dead loving god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

Ok good, what I do to my armor and character in MH:W is between me and our dead loving god.

The Xenoblade 2 mods.