Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
祝你们圣诞节快乐。

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Derpies posted:

Happy tugmas China thread

christmas is over here

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
just a regular weekend where almost as little happens as on june 6

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

christmas is over here

Over where?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

"sucks air" china

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My R word cousin sent me a youtube video that says china screwed Myanmar out of 2 million a d$$ of rice and thus china has no money or food.

There any grumblings about this?

Cause based on 5+ years of reading these threads it sounds like a dude just took the money and ran.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That dude was me, its my rice now

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Chinathread: 2 million a d$$ of rice

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
my contacts in shan state confirmed this, china took 2 million a d$$ of rice

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I only have a million rear end of rice. :smith:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't even own an rear end cooker

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I would steal a million assrice.
And I would steal a million more.
Just to be the man who stole two million assrice out from Myanmar.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Atopian posted:

:eyepop:

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
It was actually asslice :ohdear:

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
oh gently caress. sorry I guess I tried to write dollar and $$ together. But you guys made it funny so I ll leave it.

But stealing rice from your neighbors is just rude.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Atopian posted:

:golfclap:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ups_rail posted:

But stealing rice from your neighbors is just rude.

actually, property theft is not a real crime because there are no victims. in fact, trying to tell this guy that he can't take the rice is literal violence against him and it is literally denying his humanity

I hope he steals 2 million a d$$ of rice more tbh, stealing 2 million a d$$ of rice is his right and who r u to deny his existence smh

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Great Autismo! posted:

actually, property theft is not a real crime because there are no victims.

Tell that to the owners of d a$$.

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019
Vietnamese đồng, Chinese d$$

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I guess this probably isn't normal for the thread, but maybe it's something some people will think is interesting I dunno.

So people have talked about the Kaifeng Jews before, but it's always really vague as in "they exist." Most people in Kaifeng have absolutely no idea that they ever existed if you ask them. But either way, I went looking for them this weekend.

It's kind of hard to find current information on them, they got a sentence in lonely planet (I didn't read that, but the guy I ended up talking to knew about it and was super proud of it.) But for the most part if you go looking for information you'll find stuff about who they were and not what's going on with them right now. So I had an area to go looking (it's a mostly Hui district now) and so, that's what I did, and I just started asking people. It was pretty sketchy at first cuz this is just a kinda crappy residential area now and I had to hop a fence. I was hoping we'd find an old mezuzah or something that was just leftover from 50 years ago. Got lucky though, because I did eventually find the guy, probably the last descendent of the Kaifeng Jews who knows what he is.

He took us to a place, built over what was left of their old synagogue (I got the impression this is some very ancient history, the synagogue is mostly gone now but only a small part of that is due to current political stuff.)

Sorry for the lovely editing, I don't wanna put pictures of myself on SA and I don't wanna put pictures of this guy on a public facing part of the Internet. But this is the first room in what they got still there.
His ancestor forever ago apparently became a civil servant which is how they got the money to build the synagogue in the first place. His great grandpa was one of the Kaifeng Jews responsible for basically the event that made them known outside of Kaifeng in the first place, and is why there are some of their artifacts in a museum in Canada (and some in a museum in China, but they're not on public display.) And he showed us pictures of his grandpa and how he was involved, his dad, him as a kid with them, and eventually him as an adult getting a last picture of the synagogue well they still had when the government came and made them fill it up and take down the mezuzah. And that's why it's hard to find information about where they are now.

imgur is poo poo and auto-rotated the image, and gives me an error when I go to rotate it back.

He used to be a lot more open about it but he said eventually people from the government (same people who made him fill in the well) came and shut him up, Judaism is not a recognized religion in China, you cant be a Kaifeng Jew. But for him it's his family story and he seemed really proud of it all, was really happy to know that at least some people know about them.

I don't think anyone knows exactly all that much of the real ancient history of the Kaifeng Jews but I think the story is probably generally, more or less true. It's just very fuzzy since the group was so small it is basically a family story that happens to be a thousand years old and have some archaeology behind it. That, 1000ish years ago, Jews going east (I think because of the crusades?) either by land or by boat (or both, he thinks both) ended up in China. That they blended in with Chinese families over the years but just kept being Jewish. And by the last hundred years they were a really small group, and by 2022 they're this guy and his wife.

Sorry for the wall of text, there's actually a bunch more, we stayed and talked to him for a while but that's the gist. I dunno I thought it was interesting at least.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
rear end rice

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Oh hey, what's this original research doing in the chinathread

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

BrainDance posted:

Words and pictures.

Thank you for posting this. Interesting stuff, and sounds like you checked it out just in time, if it's down to a couple of people now. Lost/tears/rain, etc.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah that's really cool and interesting. Thanks for sharing it. What are you planning on doing with the research?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Kaal posted:

Yeah that's really cool and interesting. Thanks for sharing it. What are you planning on doing with the research?

What I wanted to do was just tell the guy's story, because that seemed like what he wanted, and because I was blown away that I went looking for just evidence people existed and ended up finding the actual people.

He did ask me how I knew to come looking and he was really excited when I told him "a lot of foreigners know about the Kaifeng Jews." That's when he busted out his pictures of the small reference to them in Lonely Planet. He knew it was about them, but he never had it translated for him so we did that.

It's just like he's a really cool guy with an incredible family story that he doesn't want to disappear. But the current situation in China just completely screwed up any chance he has of that.

Atopian posted:

Thank you for posting this. Interesting stuff, and sounds like you checked it out just in time, if it's down to a couple of people now. Lost/tears/rain, etc.

Wikipedia says there are "600-1000" of them but, yeah there's no way. Maybe it's true that there are that many people descended from Kaifeng Jewish families, but I doubt many of them know it. He said most of his neighbors don't know it about him (and he cant really go around mentioning it now.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thanks for sharing.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

That’s really cool and I’m glad you shared

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BrainDance posted:

I guess this probably isn't normal for the thread, but maybe it's something some people will think is interesting I dunno.

So people have talked about the Kaifeng Jews before, but it's always really vague as in "they exist." Most people in Kaifeng have absolutely no idea that they ever existed if you ask them. But either way, I went looking for them this weekend.

It's kind of hard to find current information on them, they got a sentence in lonely planet (I didn't read that, but the guy I ended up talking to knew about it and was super proud of it.) But for the most part if you go looking for information you'll find stuff about who they were and not what's going on with them right now. So I had an area to go looking (it's a mostly Hui district now) and so, that's what I did, and I just started asking people. It was pretty sketchy at first cuz this is just a kinda crappy residential area now and I had to hop a fence. I was hoping we'd find an old mezuzah or something that was just leftover from 50 years ago. Got lucky though, because I did eventually find the guy, probably the last descendent of the Kaifeng Jews who knows what he is.

He took us to a place, built over what was left of their old synagogue (I got the impression this is some very ancient history, the synagogue is mostly gone now but only a small part of that is due to current political stuff.)

Sorry for the lovely editing, I don't wanna put pictures of myself on SA and I don't wanna put pictures of this guy on a public facing part of the Internet. But this is the first room in what they got still there.
His ancestor forever ago apparently became a civil servant which is how they got the money to build the synagogue in the first place. His great grandpa was one of the Kaifeng Jews responsible for basically the event that made them known outside of Kaifeng in the first place, and is why there are some of their artifacts in a museum in Canada (and some in a museum in China, but they're not on public display.) And he showed us pictures of his grandpa and how he was involved, his dad, him as a kid with them, and eventually him as an adult getting a last picture of the synagogue well they still had when the government came and made them fill it up and take down the mezuzah. And that's why it's hard to find information about where they are now.

imgur is poo poo and auto-rotated the image, and gives me an error when I go to rotate it back.

He used to be a lot more open about it but he said eventually people from the government (same people who made him fill in the well) came and shut him up, Judaism is not a recognized religion in China, you cant be a Kaifeng Jew. But for him it's his family story and he seemed really proud of it all, was really happy to know that at least some people know about them.

I don't think anyone knows exactly all that much of the real ancient history of the Kaifeng Jews but I think the story is probably generally, more or less true. It's just very fuzzy since the group was so small it is basically a family story that happens to be a thousand years old and have some archaeology behind it. That, 1000ish years ago, Jews going east (I think because of the crusades?) either by land or by boat (or both, he thinks both) ended up in China. That they blended in with Chinese families over the years but just kept being Jewish. And by the last hundred years they were a really small group, and by 2022 they're this guy and his wife.

Sorry for the wall of text, there's actually a bunch more, we stayed and talked to him for a while but that's the gist. I dunno I thought it was interesting at least.

This is really really cool.

Thank you for sharing it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BrainDance posted:

have they ever been reached out to by foreign rabbis/officials from Israel etc

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

A+ tier post.

Is it really just two people now?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
That's a very good post

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BrainDance posted:

This is super cool and you should post everything you got.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

100% this.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

UHD posted:

That’s really cool and I’m glad you shared

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Grand Fromage posted:

:agreed:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Is it really just two people now?

I think it's possible that there are some others there, but they might not be as open about it. The thing about this area is it is a Hui district. People have said before about how Hui people are just completely blended in with everyone else in China but just happen to be Muslim and it's like one big happy multicultural whatever but really it's more nuanced, at least in Henan. There is a lot of history, a lot of bad blood (I think some massacres on both sides) and they are separate and don't really trust each other. So, my fiancée is not Hui, and they can tell. We just obviously didn't blend in and it wasn't just because I'm the white guy, if anything people were more willing to talk to me than her.

The guy we talked to, the very first thing he asked her was if she was from the government, he was pretty worried about that at first. It's just not normal otherwise for a person who is not Hui to be walking around there. He said he is not even openly Jewish to the Hui people in the area. So I think it's possible that there are Kaifeng Jews who are only Jews in private, but were definitely not going to tell me or the obviously Han girl just walking up in their community asking questions about an unauthorized religion.

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm realizing now I should have tried harder to remember all the names in his stories. There were a lot of people from different places involved that I want to look deeper into now, though one guy I remember him talking about was Theodore White. He was an American Jewish reporter for Time. If you read about him he's really complicated, his reporting on China was definitely not objective I guess but, him being Jewish he did know and spend time with the Kaifeng Jewish community. I didn't find anything White wrote about them but I saw the pictures there, Theodore White with this guy's grandpa, so there definitely was a connection. Like, I saw the whole line, pictures of families leading up to him.

White was in Henan during the famine in the early 40s, and apparently one of the reasons he was in Henan was to report/collect information on the Kaifeng Jews. But that wasn't really what anyone was worried about in Kaifeng then, they were worried about the fact that they were starving and Chiang Kai Shek wasn't doing poo poo for them, everyone's dying, so that's what they, including the guy's grandpa, spent their time telling him about. White was then the first foreign reporter to report on the Henan famine.

http://content.time.com/time/subscriber/article/0,33009,850153-1,00.html This is the article. Took me a second to realize "Chengchow" is Zhengzhou but, yeah. I'm not an expert on Chiang Kai Shek but I get the impression that the guy cared a lot more about what people in Western countries thought about him than what poor people in Henan thought about him. After Time published that suddenly Chiang Kai Shek had a change of heart and they were getting some kind of assistance, both from the nationalists and from foreign organizations. There were people who would have otherwise died but didn't die because of that article. And, if the guy's story is true, White may not have heard about it when he did and it may not have gotten written if he didn't have that connection with the Kaifeng Jews. The way he told the story it sounded like it had religious significance to him, like that was why they were there, that it was kind of destiny for them to be there and to have that connection so they could get help.

This is what the synagogue looked like back in the day. Circled in red is the building I was in, the only part of it that is still standing. The part circled in yellow is the well that existed until recently. It still "exists," he said they were careful when they filled it in so that the well itself is still there just covered.

Also just a cool detail, I kinda expected him to use a word like 真主 for God, because they're so close to Hui culture. Or maybe any of the other names for God in Chinese. But nope, just words like "Adonai" in otherwise Chinese sentences.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

excellent posts

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrainDance posted:

http://content.time.com/time/subscriber/article/0,33009,850153-1,00.html This is the article. Took me a second to realize "Chengchow" is Zhengzhou but, yeah. I'm not an expert on Chiang Kai Shek but I get the impression that the guy cared a lot more about what people in Western countries thought about him than what poor people in Henan thought about him. After Time published that suddenly Chiang Kai Shek had a change of heart and they were getting some kind of assistance, both from the nationalists and from foreign organizations. There were people who would have otherwise died but didn't die because of that article. And, if the guy's story is true, White may not have heard about it when he did and it may not have gotten written if he didn't have that connection with the Kaifeng Jews. The way he told the story it sounded like it had religious significance to him, like that was why they were there, that it was kind of destiny for them to be there and to have that connection so they could get help.

To add further context into this, if Time magazine was publishing something like this, then it was a really big deal for Chiang. The Chiangs (husband and wife) were close, personal friends with the Luces, so it is likely that anything published had some level of approval from the KMT perspective. If you look at the article, they never blame Chiang for the famine itself, only that assistance is slow due to 1. Japanese control over important railyards and 2. " the slowness of the ancient Chinese countryside."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZsuAQllNkM

Found it on reddit:

Chinese cop interrogating a woman living overseas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

incredible stuff braindance, let 2022 be the year of the good posts in the china thread