Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Harrison’s Sisters of Battle book is a fun little bit action movie detour and has a queer couple as two of the main characters, with their relationship playing a big part in the narrative no less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Shirkelton posted:

While I’m loath to engage in power level chat, Celestine seems to in general be a pretty big step beyond what other Saints are capable of.

Doesn’t the Saint also take a Baneblade shot to the chin to save Rawne, and then just casually cut the tank in half when she first rocks up as the real deal? I always liked that as a bit of a reprieve for the Ghosts who are mostly getting horrendously hosed over by sorcery.

No, she jumps on top of it, stabs the driver to death through the hull, then drops a tube charge into the hatch. She also almost gets killed by a member of the crew who draws a bead on her from behind. Sabbat is an unbelievably skilled fighter in peak human condition but if you shot her she’d die. She needs the support of the Guard, it’s a major theme in the books.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

She's definitely leveled up by the Matthew Farrer Urdesh books then.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Are the Farsight books any good? Looks like they're putting them out on Audiobook finally.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

AnEdgelord posted:

Are the Farsight books any good? Looks like they're putting them out on Audiobook finally.

I thought the first one was pretty mediocre. Not bad, but not anything special. It features some of the most ineffective marines of all time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Deptfordx posted:

She's definitely leveled up by the Matthew Farrer Urdesh books then.

I mean she was already going above and beyond in Anarch when She battled the two Yoncy and Dalin Woe Machines in the undercroft which were literally giant balls of razor saws.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Improbable Lobster posted:

Apropos of nothing, I just want to say that Black Library has done a pretty good job of integrating queer characters into newer books in a way that doesn't feel forced or like a footnote. It comes up when it's would naturally come up, it's not treated differently than cishet characters/and LGBTQphobia either doesn't come up or is treated with the appropriate tact and weight

What are some of the better books with queer characters?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FPyat posted:

What are some of the better books with queer characters?

Flesh And Steel has the main character's gay cousin as a supporting character, The House Of Night And Chain has a female supporting character that mentions her late wife occasionally and Rites Of Passage features a non-binary character. That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Especially in comparison to other sci-fi franchises, it's treated well.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is there any chaos book that has Khornates as fun over the top madmen instead of the "Ohh no this corruption that we have been dealing with for millenia is so tragic and the death of honor, it will undo us aaaany time now!" ?

I'm not asking for ork level shenanigans, but I think Lheorvine Firefist is the only berserker who is not a miserable wreck in the whole galaxy. There has to be another somewhere.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Uzas is pretty chipper about it.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Apropos of nothing, I just want to say that Black Library has done a pretty good job of integrating queer characters into newer books in a way that doesn't feel forced or like a footnote. It comes up when it would naturally come up, it's not treated differently than cishet characters and LGBTQphobia either doesn't come up or is treated with the appropriate tact and weight when it does.

Yeah the Imperium not giving a gently caress as long as it's consensual is to GW's credit.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
All this discussion makes me want to read Shroud of Night again. Celestine, World Eaters, Alpha Legion, Emperors Children, Imperial Fists, Chaos first encounters with Primaris marines. Another two bigguns make an appearance, but I don't want to spoil that.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 3, 2022

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Relevant Tangent posted:

Yeah the Imperium not giving a gently caress as long as it's consensual is to GW's credit.

Dan Abnett mentioned a random gay couple living in Petropolis in Ravenor Returned almost 20 years ago. One reason there’s more queer visibility in 40K writing now is that more and more scenes in 40K books take place in locations other than a battlefield, so we’re getting more details about how people live.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Philthy posted:

All this discussion makes me want to read Shroud of Night again. Celestine, World Eaters, Alpha Legion, Emperors Children, Imperial Fists, Chaos first encounters with Primaris marines. Another two bigguns make an appearance, but I don't want to spoil that.

Aside from -------Kharn-------, who else makes an appearance?

I was rooting for that cultist. Definitely needs a sequel.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Chemtrailologist posted:

Aside from -------Kharn-------, who else makes an appearance?

I was rooting for that cultist. Definitely needs a sequel.

Keeper of Secrets.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 4, 2022

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
I feel like the Emperors Children should be constantly fuckin and suckin each-other. Do any authors ever get into that in any detail?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lawdog69 posted:

I feel like the Emperors Children should be constantly fuckin and suckin each-other. Do any authors ever get into that in any detail?

How much detail about oral or anal space marine sex are you looking for? 40k Badcast can probably point you at some terrible fan fiction to match your tastes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Lawdog69 posted:

Never enough

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
there's a lesbian couple in the ciaphas cain books, one of them is a bloodthirsty tanker and i love her

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Dan Abnett mentioned a random gay couple living in Petropolis in Ravenor Returned almost 20 years ago. One reason there’s more queer visibility in 40K writing now is that more and more scenes in 40K books take place in locations other than a battlefield, so we’re getting more details about how people live.

Note that he was using his state sanctioned psycher powers to surveil the city without a warrant, court order or anything.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MariusLecter posted:

Note that he was using his state sanctioned psycher powers to surveil the city without a warrant, court order or anything.

Now I'm trying to imagine the fits of hysterical laughter even the nicest of Inquisitors would go into if you told him "oh my God-Emperor, you can't just violate the privacy of Imperial citizens without probable cause!"

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

"Statistically one percent of the humans in this Hive are actually xenos, do you know how many millions of people that is?"

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pervy stuff is fine, but I like it when EC (and Slaanesh in general) veers into the bizarre, unknowable decadences past mortal ken.

I remember there was a comic of some Noise Marine captain reporting to his superior/daemon prince and being 'rewarded' by some freaky mass of kaleidoscopic flesh-tendrils attaching to his face holes, to his sheer delight.

More stuff like that, original Hellraiser-style, feels right to me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sephyr posted:

Pervy stuff is fine, but I like it when EC (and Slaanesh in general) veers into the bizarre, unknowable decadences past mortal ken.

I remember there was a comic of some Noise Marine captain reporting to his superior/daemon prince and being 'rewarded' by some freaky mass of kaleidoscopic flesh-tendrils attaching to his face holes, to his sheer delight.

More stuff like that, original Hellraiser-style, feels right to me.

Yeah, but it should also be very gay

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Lawdog69 posted:

It is my firm belief that all Space Marines are absolutely loving each other, because seriously a lot of the time the Horus Heresy straight-up reads like gay erotica. (The latrine scene in Legion? Really?)

Anyway, I think Path of Heaven has an implied relationship between Eidolon and a duelist under his command who he thinks is hot and The Reflection Crack'd...exists, and has the Emperor's Children gangbanging Fulgrim. I honestly actually LOVE Reflection Crack'd regardless of lore implications because it is just hysterical to me that GW and Black Library were like 'yep, okay, sounds good' to pretty much straight-up explicit guro. I also think Fulgrim-the first one by McNeill-had a passage about a Noise Marine coming in his armor after being flamethrowered? Graham McNeill is in general really really horny for Fulgrim, there's a lot of loving descriptions of his perfect body and incredible beauty and random nude scenes.

Re: queer characters, though there's a hell of a lot of problematic tropes inherent, Neferata is canonically bisexual and one of my fave WHF/AOS characters. She and her girlfriend Naaima have a lot of screentime in the Nagash trilogy and in the Neferata: Blood of Nagash book. Nagash the Undying King in AOS has her flirting with an unfortunate female necromancer who's the protagonist.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just read SPACE MARINE, it's about a homoerotic triad bound together with love and hate.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Yeah, but it should also be very gay

Oh yes, relentlessly.

Even when it's drug stuff there should be a blurb saying "there's actually microscopic daemons inside this concoction. They are all gay and humping each other and the bonus they give you is that they make you gayer."

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
The world eaters are definitely masc4masc

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Just read SPACE MARINE, it's about a homoerotic triad bound together with love and hate.

I read that high and it was an experience let me tell you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Would a space ship with 6’ ceilings defeat any SM boarding action ?

6’ is 2 meters or so

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

euphronius posted:

6’ is 2 meters or so

Any ship that doesn't have at least a 10 foot ceiling would never be commissioned by the Imperial Navy. That's probably some level of heresy to not allow accommodation for astartes or large abhumans.

The Administratum's building code inspectors must wield immense power.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

They also board a tyranid bio ship via a boarding pod shot through the ship's rear end in a top hat so there is that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

euphronius posted:

6’ is 2 meters or so

That would absolutely suck to work,live, and fight in. Especially given the scale of 40k ships.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok 6’5”

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Ciaphus Cain wouldn't be able to walk in a ship with 6 foot ceilings :(

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
You'd just be better off having defensive sections where the ceiling is fairly short instead of doing the whole ship like it.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
SPACE MARINE managed to make Imperial Fists, who are actually more boring than Ultramarines, interesting. Through massive amounts of homoeroticism and the author's fetishes, yes, but 'they're also all kinky gay masochists' is a hell of a hook.

It also has the added benefit of making a lot of bits in the Horus Heresy very silly because IIRC the Pain Glove is still canon, so scenes like Fabius Bile talking about how the Imperial Fists hold up better under torture than any other legion take on a whole new meaning.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jerkface posted:

Ciaphus Cain wouldn't be able to walk in a ship with 6 foot ceilings :(
A lot of people would have trouble with it. It's not that high at all.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

A lot of people would have trouble with it. It's not that high at all.

Now I'm just curious how tall OP is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Given Euphronius is a regular in the Tolkien thread I conclude that he's a hobbit or a Dwarf.