Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the company was only letting their FOH staff wear surgical masks because they're "friendlier" and banned N95s.

https://twitter.com/AskTarget/status/1473383864571772933

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/22849891/omicron-pandemic-endemic

TLDR: Maybe February? Maybe never?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I got exposed today by a dumb gently caress coworker. Yay. Got the booster shot a month ago so I figure I'm about as vaccinated as it is possible to be, but I'm still going to have to get tested.

What is it, still 5-7 days after exposure you're supposed to be tested?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The CDC director was straight up asked if N95s were better than cloth masks and should be recommended and said people find them uncomfortable. Sums up the collapse of the empire really.

https://twitter.com/PPEtoheros/status/1474110640834891779

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

FuturePastNow posted:

I got exposed today by a dumb gently caress coworker. Yay. Got the booster shot a month ago so I figure I'm about as vaccinated as it is possible to be, but I'm still going to have to get tested.

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1478517020077531138?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DickParasite posted:

The CDC director was straight up asked if N95s were better than cloth masks and should be recommended and said people find them uncomfortable. Sums up the collapse of the empire really.

https://twitter.com/PPEtoheros/status/1474110640834891779

Steal his look!

Harley Commodity L-188 | 20 for $45 | bonafidemasks.com

Steal her look!

Kimberly-Clark Professional N95 Pouch Respirator, model 53358 | 50 for $60 | pacmedpro.com

https://twitter.com/AbraarKaran/status/1478219763432124417

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 5, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FuturePastNow posted:

4 or 5 days, if you're infected your chances of returning a false negative are pretty high the first few days so you have to give it a little time to percolate up a decent amount of viral particles. You can test again around 10 days after exposure if you want to be even more careful. Of course if you start showing symptoms early then go get a test as soon as you can.

PCR tests are preferable because their results are a lot more reliable but rapid tests at home are usually okay if you follow them up with a second test 24 hrs later.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

peanut posted:

Just canceled my trip to visit my parents in the US. It sucks but lol at flying to California this month.

Im not leaving my apartment in Japan until either covid is over or I turn into a butterfly

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

Im not leaving my apartment in Japan until either covid is over or I turn into a butterfly

I think one of the results of the pandemic will be a lot more Hikikomori (shut-ins) on a global level. Though we'll also see modern day hermits who work from home but have no other human interaction.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
2022 year of the neet 2023 year of the madao

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Currently awaiting results

But I work in a 1000+ student school in an occupation that genuinely requires my mouth to be uncovered , so it was always when not if

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Jestery posted:

Currently awaiting results

But I work in a 1000+ student school in an occupation that genuinely requires my mouth to be uncovered , so it was always when not if

Semi-serious - is some form of clear helmet like a 1950s scifi space helmet an option ? Mouth still visible for lip-reading or whatever.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
So HK is going back into stricter policy mode after having a few Omicron cases. Gyms, bars, and other leisure venues closed. No dining-in after 6pm. "Cruise to nowhere" canceled (lol). Outright bans on flights from a few countries, which probably has zero effect since entry requirements are so strict anyway.

The rules don't come into effect for 2 days, though, and don't seem like they'll be that effective against Omicron anyway, given that to my knowledge it doesn't only spread after 6pm. :sherman:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Happy third year of pandemic to everyone itt! :toot:

I'm trying to find some info on if the mRNA boosters actually improve long term immunity. I know that antibodies decrease basically at the same rate as after the second dose, but does the third shot do anything to long term immunity that the second one doesn't? Like, if you were to compare immunity of someone 10 years after just two doses and someone with three doses, would you see some difference? Lots of vaccines use three shots, with the third one being much later so I assume that's how it works with most diseases.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baconroll posted:

Semi-serious - is some form of clear helmet like a 1950s scifi space helmet an option ? Mouth still visible for lip-reading or whatever.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6905897658913754373

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Baconroll posted:

I mean it's possible sure, we got given a disposable face shield at the start of last year , and the state health officer gave explicit exemption for the Deaf and those working with the Deaf so all my co-workers just didn't mask up. We have had single digit covid cases pretty much all last year. Just a whole lot of practised complacency we have now to deal with.

I don't think a space helmet style thing is effective as a long term solution unfortunately

I'm triple vaxxed so im as personally prepped as possible

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Well, brought a brand new n95 to the hospital. Still forced to take it off and replace it with a surgical mask. The staff are now wearing n95s which feels like an extra bonus slap in the face.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

enki42 posted:

Well, brought a brand new n95 to the hospital. Still forced to take it off and replace it with a surgical mask. The staff are now wearing n95s which feels like an extra bonus slap in the face.

They wouldn't let you put the surgical mask on top? I've heard they're usually ok with that, they usually force certain mask choices on everyone because there's always someone coming in with a sabotaged mask that looks real or something like that.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

greazeball posted:

They wouldn't let you put the surgical mask on top? I've heard they're usually ok with that, they usually force certain mask choices on everyone because there's always someone coming in with a sabotaged mask that looks real or something like that.

My hospital has been super weird about it lately.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

This is probably a stupid question, but if a mask is labeled N95, it's good to use covid protection-wise? I got a box of 20 N95s that are labeled for paint/ sanding and doesn't mention any medical application.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Peggy Edson posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but if a mask is labeled N95, it's good to use covid protection-wise? I got a box of 20 N95s that are labeled for paint/ sanding and doesn't mention any medical application.

Yep. That's what I've been using.

Edit: also implicitly approved by the CDC, or at least not un-approved any more (but not directly recommended quite yet)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 5, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Peggy Edson posted:

Yes. Make sure you get a good seal with the mask.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Barry Foster posted:

Yes. Make sure you get a good seal with the mask.

also: shave, don't modify the mask at all, and do not double mask with a surgical mask.

N95s are respirator equipment and if you don't use respirator equipment as directed it doesn't loving work. Like, seriously, do not combine N95 with any other type of mask.

edit: I guess taping an N95 is an acceptable mod now that I'm reading more about it, but that's about it

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 5, 2022

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Sigh i was thinking about going back to the gym but i guess i should wait to see what happens.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Sigh i was thinking about going back to the gym but i guess i should wait to see what happens.

I'd recently been going with an n95 on, if you tape it down and don't, like, gurn a lot, then it keeps the seal pretty well

It is a little more effort to breathe, not going to lie, and also the mask tends to get pretty sweaty and gunked up (which is why I'm going to be investing in a proper respirator soon)

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Wouldn't all the sweat wear down the rubber on the respirators?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wouldn't all the sweat wear down the rubber on the respirators?

That's why you get an elastomeric respirator which has silicone seals. ;)

They're more comfortable to wear for long periods as well.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I feel like anymore I should just go out in this

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've seen enough pandemic movies to know that the dude in the fully encapsulating hazmat suit who think he's safe always catches it on a loose nail and tears it and instantly catches the virus

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've seen enough pandemic movies to know that the dude in the fully encapsulating hazmat suit who think he's safe always catches it on a loose nail and tears it and instantly catches the virus

this is more goon style

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Peggy Edson posted:

Iirc medically rated n95's are the same except they have a coating to resist liquid splashing. Lots of bodily fluids in the medical settings you hopefully aren't encountering in public!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

GABA ghoul posted:

Happy third year of pandemic to everyone itt! :toot:

I'm trying to find some info on if the mRNA boosters actually improve long term immunity. I know that antibodies decrease basically at the same rate as after the second dose, but does the third shot do anything to long term immunity that the second one doesn't? Like, if you were to compare immunity of someone 10 years after just two doses and someone with three doses, would you see some difference? Lots of vaccines use three shots, with the third one being much later so I assume that's how it works with most diseases.

Simple answer - there's really no way of knowing without waiting 10 years. There's lots of theories and lots and lots and lots of speculation, but every virus (or bacteria) is different, and we won't be able to say for certain until we're on to naming variants after 80s hair metal bands because every other list of names has been exhausted and everyone's worried about whether the Whitesnake variant is going to be worse than the Quiet Riot one.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In ten years we'll have exhausted the 80s hair metal bands, blown through wrestler names and moved onto JoJo stands.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

I feel you goon! The gym is my happy place and I haven’t been in a couple weeks now because the cases here are ridiculous… I have definitely felt a shift in my mental health already and it sucks. I was double masking there but really can’t see myself squatting in an N95 so I’ll be waiting until this wave starts to decline?

I have some equipment at home but my motivation outside the gym is :smith:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

liz posted:

but really can’t see myself squatting in an N95

It's honestly not so bad!

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

enki42 posted:

Last time I went to my doctor's office, there was a sign saying not to wear an N95. I ignored it and no one said anything about it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

liz posted:

until this wave starts to decline?

lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/NaderDIssa/status/1478491911568732165

https://twitter.com/NaderDIssa/status/1478590530951028740

https://twitter.com/ChiPubSchools/status/1478720831589072901

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXFsWAkLoXQ

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a good source for KF94 masks? My sister is a public school teacher who's luckily got a small class but is still required to be in person. She wants to try some different mask styles so I ordered her some Harley KN95s and N95s off Bonafide and plan on swinging by Home Depot tonight to get some of the 3M Auras that everyone recommends. Appreciate any help you can provide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

bagmonkey posted:

Anyone know of a good source for KF94 masks? My sister is a public school teacher who's luckily got a small class but is still required to be in person. She wants to try some different mask styles so I ordered her some Harley KN95s and N95s off Bonafide and plan on swinging by Home Depot tonight to get some of the 3M Auras that everyone recommends. Appreciate any help you can provide!
https://behealthyusa.net