Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Brawnfire posted:

Lol in a festive half Death Star bowl

brb doin a trench run

*proceeds to dig a trench in the guacamole with a Star Destroyer while making whooshing jet fighter noises*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kesper North posted:

brb doin a trench run

*proceeds to dig a trench in the guacamole with a Star Destroyer while making whooshing jet fighter noises*

Porkin's force ghost looks on, approvingly

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kesper North posted:

brb doin a trench run

:laffo:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Kesper North posted:

brb doin a trench run

living your best life

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I did the Queso Run in less than 12 parsnacks

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How about some ships fitting the holiday?

Samus in Phendrana, that's kinda christmassy. Snow and christmas? Winter?

On the Men in Black Animated show, this ship, "Terraxis" was buried in Antarctica long ago. It's not really clear how it got there, but it was one of the things David Warner knew about from his tenure as former director. It's some kind of ship with organic technology that plugs into the pilot. He was going to use it to melt the Earth's icecaps. It also has a feature where the pilot's face manifests on the bottom for whatever reason.

Jeebs also had a ship in that episode. I think earlier in the show it was disguised as a water tower. It's a nice little rounded rocket design with angled engines. Kinda like a bumblebee butt. There was a christmas episode, but there were no spaceships in that.

King Cold's ship? Cold? Winter? That works right? Christmas?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Hanukkah Zombie is voiced by Mark Hamill so it's only fitting that he rides in style.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Runabouts in Star Trek: DS9. They look pretty plush for workhorse-style vessels. If I lived in the Star Trek universe I'd probably live in one like an RV, traveling the universe.

e: Now that I'm thinking about it, the USS Discovery in 2001: A Space Odyssey is also a cool ship. Too bad about its murderous computer, though.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 28, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Runabouts in Star Trek: DS9. They look pretty plush for workhorse-style vessels. If I lived in the Star Trek universe I'd probably live in one like an RV, traveling the universe.

Lil cramped, but one of those things we never saw was that along the corridor between the front and back the rooms to each side were clip-on modules, I bet they gave in and made modules that were "nicer bed" and "better bathroom+shower" given how often people were using them as space RVs.

(The Type 11 shuttle we saw in Insurrection was basically a runabout without mission gear, I can't help but wonder if that was a response to people keeping on using runabouts for travel instead of missions) (In real life it was because they just reused the cockpit for filming, of course) (But gotta make it all sleek and sports car looking because this is a movie)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 29, 2021

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I like the ships from Oban Star Racers, particularly the control set up for the earth racer, which is just a scooter type thing suspended in the cabin to which the main ship is slaved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyAUad7DdkA

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Lil cramped, but one of those things we never saw was that along the corridor between the front and back the rooms to each side were clip-on modules, I bet they gave in and made modules that were "nicer bed" and "better bathroom+shower" given how often people were using them as space RVs.

(The Type 11 shuttle we saw in Insurrection was basically a runabout without mission gear, I can't help but wonder if that was a response to people keeping on using runabouts for travel instead of missions) (In real life it was because they just reused the cockpit for filming, of course) (But gotta make it all sleek and sports car looking because this is a movie)

That's pretty badass. I'd trick out my space RV with all kinds of questionably legal modules and make a floating mansion out of it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
They made the Runabout's back chillax room for exactly one episode of TNG (the one with Picard making a funny face in the frozen warp core explosion) but then the set got stolen for Voyager and never got used on DS9.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The runabouts were cool but man, Starfleet has a thing about either sending an entire fully crewed ship or just two dudes in a shuttle to handle things out there.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Hey now, we've seen shuttlecraft with four people in them! That's like a whole role-playing game party in there, how many more people could you possibly need? :v:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Don’t try to think too much about the weird forced scarcity of DS9. You’d think even if the Bajorians didn’t want a full federation star base in their system, they would at least like accept a donated non-loving-lovely second hand Cardassian station now that the wormhole makes it one of the most strategically important places in that portion of the entire galaxy.

I mean, at least leave a fully crewed Excelsior or even Nebula class ship around, and don’t constantly rely on the entire command staff of the space station to also double as a full crew for your only local space ship as well?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Who's donating this "non-loving-lovely second hand Cardassian station" in this scenario? It sure as gently caress isn't the Cardassians. They tore the station to hell out of spite and there's a decent chance they'd have probably tried to retake the station by force if the Enterprise hadn't doubled back.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They mean a donated non-"loving-lovely second hand Cardassian" station, AKA a new starfleet station.

At least once things with the Dominion War went heavy there was almost always a starfleet ship floating around the background of DS9, and they referenced that there was usually a ship that was on patrol nearby so we can imagine there were reinforcements there just off at the edge of the system making sure nobody snuck in. (The writers had actually planned to make the Sutherland a recurring ship that was assigned to patrol near DS9 and have some secondary characters but never got around to it.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 31, 2021

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That still seems like it has a really obvious answer, though.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

there was an element of "now that we've sent the Cardassian colonisers packing, we don't want to just replace that with being colonised by the Federation" amongst the Bajorans.
which would explain Starfleet not dropping their own station into the system.

maybe we should have seen more of the politics around that. could've been interesting. or a genuine Bajoran station being slowly built in the background.
the point when Kira was willing to accept a Starfleet commission during the Dominon War was great though. As season 1 Kira would never have entertained the idea.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I imagine that a multi year, extremely vulnerable construction project at the very edge of your borders is not very viable. And such an obviously military endeavour would be unappealing to the image conscious starfleet and risk inflaming tensions and sparking war with the militaristic nation that they still believe they can maintain peaceful relations with.

Plus, Starfleet isn't made out of spacestations and you've got one right there. Maybe the Breen border has a pressing need and you're back of the queue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

True, although I expect Starfleet stations like that aren't built on-site but rather mostly built elsewhere, especially with the way they tend to have stations that are like interconnected saucers and such. They probably fly them all in individually and connect the parts up. Sync up the tow ships and they could probably go from the bits arriving to deployed in a week or so.

The bigger more monolithic ones are probably built on-site but those big things tend to only be built near large worlds that can handle that job anyway.

But yeah there are plenty of political reasons they wouldn't want to do that and the Bajorans definitely would much prefer to have Starfleet helping out on a Bajoran station than having a Starfleet station.

I did think it would've been cool if over time bits of DS9 got replaced with Starfleet gear instead. New reactor section, the weapons systems get replaced with grey greebles instead of brown greebles, etc.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 31, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There does seem to be a common theme of there being very low density of starships in Star Trek. There's a lot of plots that orient around the Enterprise being the only ship around, there's a lot of episodes when they're helping out supposedly warp-capable civilizations considering the Prime Directive that don't seem to have any other ships hanging around. Starbases also seem pretty isolated. It's probably more of a budget thing, but it does give the sense of every ship being a real titan that needs a whole lot of people to keep going and usually represents a whole society as opposed to like how Star Wars is so much more individualistic.

and then in Star Tek Enterprise, they went with a much smaller hero ship and every ship they came across was similarly downsized. Which I'm not even really sure I'd say is bad, since it was a more manageable amount of people and the show actually was pretty precious with its crew instead of constantly offing redshirts. I did kinda resent it though when Star Trek Prodigy had a wee (by trek standards) ship, and then when they first find it they estimate they'll need 20 people but they end up crewing it with only 5.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I did kinda resent it though when Star Trek Prodigy had a wee (by trek standards) ship, and then when they first find it they estimate they'll need 20 people but they end up crewing it with only 5.

To be fair they did say that before they discovered the ship's AI that handles functionality and lower level systems and they've gone out of their way to show maintenance drones and stuff so it's plausible the Protostar was set up to run without needing that crew.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Maybe its just because I grew up watching TNG on TV, but even decades later the interiors of the Enterprise-D still look like "The Future" to me.

Sure it's obviously influenced by the styles of the 80's with all the beige, but features such as the carpeting, large sweeping windows, curved surfaces, occasional natural materials, and large soft lighting panels make it feel like it's built by a civilization which was rapidly surpassing mundane utilitarian designs in space ships. Another huge factor is the LCARS display design, which I feel is pure genius. It basically looks like abstract art, and the ubiquitous use of touchscreen displays was a surprising degree of foresight.

Or maybe I'm just old.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
TNG is so amazing when you realize the entire thing was made and designed the same year as Star Trek 4.

A real testament to Probert, Okuda, and Sternbach for doing all of that poo poo so well.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I totally agree, I may be biased but it all still looks so good to me

And yeah, LCARS is genuine design genius. Decades ahead of its time.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
always like the ferengi ships. the design language or code feels natural, since they only ever talk about insect life on ferenganar and you can feel the class distinction built right into the ship. a giant hive of worker drones in the back, then a very narrow path forward to pure automated luxury in the bridge section. I actually have no clue what the bridge section is actually like, I just assume it's nice.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cyber space ship, the Saucy Mare.

before it entered the web.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Wow. That's a familiar shape I haven't seen in a very long time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

boo boo bear posted:

always like the ferengi ships. the design language or code feels natural, since they only ever talk about insect life on ferenganar and you can feel the class distinction built right into the ship. a giant hive of worker drones in the back, then a very narrow path forward to pure automated luxury in the bridge section. I actually have no clue what the bridge section is actually like, I just assume it's nice.

For some reason I picture the bridge like a stock sales floor, with power shifting in the ship depending on the crew's shares of the vessel's expedition and futures on trades and plunders it may engage in. Everybody on board is a self-styled entrepreneur pirate trying to make a name and fortune off the back of the journey so they can own the next ship outright.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Brawnfire posted:

For some reason I picture the bridge like a stock sales floor, with power shifting in the ship depending on the crew's shares of the vessel's expedition and futures on trades and plunders it may engage in. Everybody on board is a self-styled entrepreneur pirate trying to make a name and fortune off the back of the journey so they can own the next ship outright.

This was pretty much what pirates were like during the age of sail, IIRC, with some early experiments in democracy resulting.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Fun times aboard this little guy!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Speaking of space MMOs, color aside it reminds me a bit of one of my carriers from Star Trek Online, the good ol' flying airport.

Wing Commander 1's Bengal-class strike carrier did it better all the way back in 1990:

Especially cool that it has launch tubes on the sides of the ship, so fighters can launch and land at the same time.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Lazy Fair posted:

Maybe its just because I grew up watching TNG on TV, but even decades later the interiors of the Enterprise-D still look like "The Future" to me.

Sure it's obviously influenced by the styles of the 80's with all the beige, but features such as the carpeting, large sweeping windows, curved surfaces, occasional natural materials, and large soft lighting panels make it feel like it's built by a civilization which was rapidly surpassing mundane utilitarian designs in space ships. Another huge factor is the LCARS display design, which I feel is pure genius. It basically looks like abstract art, and the ubiquitous use of touchscreen displays was a surprising degree of foresight.

Or maybe I'm just old.

Something that TNG got (and to a lesser degree DS9) was that you had to make a place people lived in actually livable. Even today the D looks comfy. Pleasant lighting, the chairs are almost lazy-boys, soft textures. Everything in current sci-fi trek included is the opposite. Harsh lighting, bare sheet metal surfaces, jagged edges, everyone sits on uncomfortable looking chairs. The D was designed to make you want to live there. Modern stuff is designed to make you glad you don’t.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Lazy Fair posted:

Yeah also love the Enterprise D interiors. The beige might be a bit dated but it's a nice change from 90% of other sci-fi ship interiors being gray or white, including most of the other Star Treks like Voyager and Enterprise.

Animal-Mother posted:

Fun times aboard this little guy!

Saw that colony ship for sale the other day, cheap....

That is a fanart right, or is it rare official art? Either way it looks a lot better than the small in-game sprite of it you see from the Pfhor ship which I always thought was the only official picture of the outside.

Have to wonder why there's so much lava inside the Marathon, with it just being an asteroid converted into a spaceship.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Item Getter posted:

Have to wonder why there's so much lava inside the Marathon, with it just being an asteroid converted into a spaceship.

It was Deimos, wasn't it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Item Getter posted:

That is a fanart right, or is it rare official art? Either way it looks a lot better than the small in-game sprite of it you see from the Pfhor ship which I always thought was the only official picture of the outside

That's fanart, this is the (only) in-game sprite for the record:

I always figured the lava was because you got sent to the industrial/power sector, most of the time it seems to be occupying intentional channels and storage pools

And yeah, it was Deimos.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Deimos is just an asteroid that didn't look where it was going anyway.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Anybody got any good badly damaged spaceships (still in space, not crashed) for a RPG game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Deptfordx posted:

Anybody got any good badly damaged spaceships (still in space, not crashed) for a RPG game?

On mobile but um, the Ilmarinen from Empyrion Galactic Survival is a pretty decent sized capital ship that's badly damaged, on the drift in an asteroid field, and full of space undead. It was pretty fun exploring it after doing the mission around it.