Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yeah, Peck wasn't wrong but he went about everything in the worst possible way in addition to being just an outright rear end about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Basebf555 posted:

Peck is still a reckless rear end in a top hat about it though. Like, if you do discover a situation where there's a "containment unit" with a bunch of potentially hazardous materials in it, maybe don't arbitrarily cut off the power before studying it a little bit first?
Don't you see? The Man is at the same time all powerful and completely incompetent. The only people who should be trusted with dangerous materials are the people stocking them, not some pencilpusher with their bs regulations.

rantmo posted:

Yeah, Peck wasn't wrong but he went about everything in the worst possible way in addition to being just an outright rear end about it.
The fact that he wasn't wrong is not part of the text of the movie. We think privately owned, unregulated nuclear accelerators are a problem, but if we were smart enough we would see the light and fully embrace libertarianism. that it's completely safe because Ray and Egon know better that The Man.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Dec 30, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Alternatively the entire situation could have been defused if Bill Murray hadn’t been so combative with Peck from the get go. Perhaps, given a tour of the facility and a ride-along Peck might have been more reasonable but by the time things come to a head he hates Murray so loving much

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The IDW comics do some fun stuff with the Ghostbusters exploring the ramifications of their business a bit. In the aftermath of the movies (and possibly the game) the Ghostbusters basically get nationalised as a public service... and Walter Peck is their boss.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Basebf555 posted:

Peck is still a reckless rear end in a top hat about it though. Like, if you do discover a situation where there's a "containment unit" with a bunch of potentially hazardous materials in it, maybe don't arbitrarily cut off the power before studying it a little bit first?

Very true. When I was a kid on the farm we had so many things that had to maintain power. All of them were dangerous. Some would simply ruin the crop if the power was cut, some would burst into flame if the blower wasn't running. Some switches were installed so that off was on and on was off. Some of those were knife switches too so you had to be careful. Some of those turned on terrible seed cleaning machines that are happy to eat you. Up is supposed to be on, but we had some that were down for on because my great grandpa did not pay much attention to code back in the 1920's.

Don't move switches if you don't know exactly what they do.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

mostlygray posted:

Don't move switches if you don't know exactly what they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZS2B5y1J4A&hd=1

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That Italian Guy posted:

The fact that he wasn't wrong is not part of the text of the movie. We think privately owned, unregulated nuclear accelerators are a problem, but if we were smart enough we would see the light and fully embrace libertarianism. that it's completely safe because Ray and Egon know better that The Man.

Even they (privately) acknowledge it's a problem, immediately after Peck leaves we get the "Tell him about the Twinkie" scene where they establish that the grid isn't holding up well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzaQjS1JstY

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I always think to not only do they have "unlicensed, untested nuclear accelerators strapped to their backs", but how did they determine that nuclear lasers would be an effective method for trapping ghosts? What were they going to do at the hotel if it didn't work?

It's me. I'm the dork that wants the explanation.

To get back on track, the best subtle moment in Ghostbusters is Egon miming how much money to charge the hotel guy while Peter is explaining.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The IDW comics do some fun stuff with the Ghostbusters exploring the ramifications of their business a bit. In the aftermath of the movies (and possibly the game) the Ghostbusters basically get nationalised as a public service... and Walter Peck is their boss.

Once again my policy of ignoring the extended universe of every property I find fun pays dividends.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

CzarChasm posted:

I always think to not only do they have "unlicensed, untested nuclear accelerators strapped to their backs", but how did they determine that nuclear lasers would be an effective method for trapping ghosts? What were they going to do at the hotel if it didn't work?

It's me. I'm the dork that wants the explanation.

To get back on track, the best subtle moment in Ghostbusters is Egon miming how much money to charge the hotel guy while Peter is explaining.

I love that it's never explained. They needed something to trap ghosts, Egon did science, now they have something.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That Italian Guy posted:

In the Sam Raimi movies, Spiderman is from a working class family and his enemies are heads of giant corporations; they are also using cutting edge tech while Spidey is "all natural". All his adventures are set in or around his neighbourhood.

In the MCU movies, Spiderman is pupil to the head of a giant tech corp, uses Stark's cutting edge tech and his first enemy is a blue collar small businessman bullied out of business by Stark. His introduction to the MCU (the airport fight in Civil War) happens not only outside of NY, but outside of the US; and most of his adventures are also far away from NY, from Europe to another planet.

The new movie has him without all the fancy tech at the end. They even show he sewed his own suit.

I'm very happy they reduced his scope. Iron Man Jr. sucked.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Basebf555 posted:

Peck is still a reckdickless rear end in a top hat about it though.

fixed

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

I love that it's never explained. They needed something to trap ghosts, Egon did science, now they have something.

It has something to do with the readings they get from the Librarian ghost. I guess the idea is that they've never actually encountered a real ghost before, so when they do get those readings Egon uses it to design a system for containing that particular type of energy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That's my take on it as well. They scanned a ghost, Egon did the math and figured out how to trap em in a big energy beam cause they kinda got hosed on the whole "well, they're real... What now?" option, and no one really considered the ramifications of the dead coming back or proof of the after life, they just considered them pests and called the ghost catchers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, Ray says, during the campus walk scene, that if the ionization rate is constant, then they could really bust some heads (in a spiritual sense, of course).

That's meant for the audience as a "they're very close to working out the science for all of this" clue.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe it was less subtle on the big screen or in 1080p on a reasonable modern tv, but since I only ever watched Roger Rabbit on VHS (or once a ripped version on YouTube), I only just recently found out that Eddie Valiant's toon revolver and cowboy-rear end bullets were a gift from Yosemite Sam "for keeping him out of the hoosegow"

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I’ve never noticed that and I think it’s more than enough reason to watch the movie again.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

In the Sam Raimi movies, Spiderman is from a working class family and his enemies are heads of giant corporations; they are also using cutting edge tech while Spidey is "all natural". All his adventures are set in or around his neighbourhood.

In the MCU movies, Spiderman is pupil to the head of a giant tech corp, uses Stark's cutting edge tech and his first enemy is a blue collar small businessman bullied out of business by Stark. His introduction to the MCU (the airport fight in Civil War) happens no t only outside of NY, but outside of the US; and most of his adventures are also far away from NY, from Europe to another planet.
Spoils no way home:
to add, not only does he lose the tech and scope, but he ends up in a 'crappy' apartment without his entrance to MIT and has to study for his GED, and basically be working class. Which is cool, but I doubt it will last long in the future films of him. I put 'crappy' in quotation marks because my partner and I were like "um, being able to afford your own place without flatmates????"

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
No Way Home was the last of the standalone movies that has Disney/Marvel's tentacles involved. It's all Sony from now on. And the first post credit scene explains that Tom Hardy's Venom is not tied into the Sony-Disney MCU Spider-man movies (but symbiote starter goo is now in the Hollandverse), but Morbius actually is now in Hollandverse based on seeing Michael Keaton in the trailer.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

That Italian Guy posted:

In the MCU movies, Spiderman is pupil to the head of a giant tech corp, uses Stark's cutting edge tech and his first enemy is a blue collar small businessman bullied out of business by Stark. His introduction to the MCU (the airport fight in Civil War) happens not only outside of NY, but outside of the US; and most of his adventures are also far away from NY, from Europe to another planet.

Its been a while and I haven't seen the third in either series but wasn't it:
  1. Head of corporation
  2. Scientist
  3. Space alien/lying journalist, murderer, head of corporation

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Cat Hatter posted:

Its been a while and I haven't seen the third in either series but wasn't it:
  1. Head of corporation
  2. Scientist
  3. Space alien/lying journalist, murderer, head of corporation
They all (well, not the alien and the murderer) are wealthy and powerful people involved with tech (in fact, they are all wearing some kind of tech suit); just like Stark is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Molina Ock isn't depicted as wealthy.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Someone on Twitter had the idea of a Walter Peck series where he just goes around busting various superheroes/hardworking crime fighters/vigilantes for EPA violations.

Maybe Peck could visit Jackie Daytona about all the unauthorized burials in his front yard. Do you have any idea what that does to ground water?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I have a mysterious red switch in my flat. I've tried it but idk what it does other than make a red LED light up. Maybe that's all it's for.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Molina Ock isn't depicted as wealthy.
He isn't ludicrously wealthy as Stark or Osborne are (and he is depicted as sympathetic at first), but he's definitely not working class - he's the lead scientist for an R&D department at Oscorp, so he's definitely in the 1%.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Upper 5% tops. Corporate scientists don't get paid like the finance guys working those big arms deals on goblin gliders and pumpkin bombs.

It does bring up the question whether super villains reduce property values. Maybe Peter Parker can afford that rent because the cost of having your car thrown through a skyscraper is baked into the cost of living. I think there was a show about insurance adjusters dealing with superhero damage, but the TV pilot didn't get picked up.

One of the better parts of Spider-Man: Homecoming and the Netflix Marvel shows were watching people deal with the after effects of the various Avenger movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

As i recall, he's funded by but does not work for Oscorp.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Krispy Wafer posted:

Someone on Twitter had the idea of a Walter Peck series where he just goes around busting various superheroes/hardworking crime fighters/vigilantes for EPA violations.

Maybe Peck could visit Jackie Daytona about all the unauthorized burials in his front yard. Do you have any idea what that does to ground water?

Walter Peck would absolutely trek all the way out to Staten Island to clown on some rear end in a top hat using natural fertilizer.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I have a mysterious red switch in my flat. I've tried it but idk what it does other than make a red LED light up. Maybe that's all it's for.

It kills somebody across the world and gives the previous occupant of your apartment a whole bunch of money. That's why they moved out, they hit the button and got the money for a better place.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It kills somebody across the world and gives the previous occupant of your apartment a whole bunch of money. That's why they moved out, they hit the button and got the money for a better place.

Unfortunately that makes them now eligible to be killed by the switch ooooOooOoOOo

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Flick switch, rip off switch from wall.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

It does bring up the question whether super villains reduce property values. Maybe Peter Parker can afford that rent because the cost of having your car thrown through a skyscraper is baked into the cost of living. I think there was a show about insurance adjusters dealing with superhero damage, but the TV pilot didn't get picked up.

Didn't season 1 of Daredevil specifically mention that property in Hell's Kitchen is now super cheap because it was trashed in the movies?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SimonChris posted:

Didn't season 1 of Daredevil specifically mention that property in Hell's Kitchen is now super cheap because it was trashed in the movies?

Yes, very casually. One line and a newspaper clip IIRC.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, Damage Control. There's been a few short comic runs about them (where they were a reconstruction company).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Phy posted:

Yeah, Damage Control. There's been a few short comic runs about them (where they were a reconstruction company).

Wasn't that part of Michael Keaton's Vulture arc in MCU Spiderman?

God drat he was good in that movie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Wasn't that part of Michael Keaton's Vulture arc in MCU Spiderman?

God drat he was good in that movie.

Yeah he played a contractor who was hired to do New York cleanup post-Avengers 1 but Tony founds a damage control subsidiary of Stark Industries that take it over and leave them out of work

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's such a good way to give him motivation against Tony and the whole hero structure.

Stark could have bought him out of his contract, given him and his crew more than enough to cover expenses because he wanted to legally get his hands on alien tech.

Instead he used his clout to just push out any blue-collar workers for his own gain. Truly the best way to show he actually is a billionaire.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Inzombiac posted:

It's such a good way to give him motivation against Tony and the whole hero structure.

Stark could have bought him out of his contract, given him and his crew more than enough to cover expenses because he wanted to legally get his hands on alien tech.

Instead he used his clout to just push out any blue-collar workers for his own gain. Truly the best way to show he actually is a billionaire.

I wouldn't call anyone who owns a company big enough to even bid on a project that size "blue collar" even if they are a small fry compared to Tony Stark. Even then, I don't think Stark's clout was the biggest reason the government took the contract away from the guy yelling out in the open about how he wants to salvage alien weapons to sell to people. If a nuclear bomber crashes (again) they don't let Pull-A-Part do the salvage, they get someone who already builds nuclear weapons to do it.

He still should have been compensated though. It was probably in his contact too if he hadn't been more concerned with selling ray guns to gang members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cat Hatter posted:

I wouldn't call anyone who owns a company big enough to even bid on a project that size "blue collar" even if they are a small fry compared to Tony Stark. Even then, I don't think Stark's clout was the biggest reason the government took the contract away from the guy yelling out in the open about how he wants to salvage alien weapons to sell to people. If a nuclear bomber crashes (again) they don't let Pull-A-Part do the salvage, they get someone who already builds nuclear weapons to do it.

He still should have been compensated though. It was probably in his contact too if he hadn't been more concerned with selling ray guns to gang members.

The house that Vulture lived in was pretty drat nice as well. If he's blue collar, it's in the way that an oil field contractor is blue collar; it's a hard, technical job but it pays a stack of money.