Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SerthVarnee posted:

What else is he gonna spend his time on?
Rule the nation? He had people to do all that.
Converse with his adoring subjects? His ministers would really really really rather he didn't.
Conduct foreign diplomacy? See above.
Go hunting? Sure, but that gets dull after a month or two of constant rampaging through the countryside.

You don't go to the hunting lodge to go hunting, you go to spend time with your generals away from their nagging wives so you can make them dress up in tutus and dance for your amusement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The royal lifestyle leaves plenty of time to practice things like art.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

American presidents would often doodle in their notes and a good deal of them are saved due to document retention laws.

Not the best site but a good compilation of examples. https://www.ranker.com/list/drawings-made-by-us-presidents/melissa-brinks Not nearly as well done as the Kaiser's.

My boredom doodles look an awful lot like Hoover's and Nixon's, which is very concerning.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

I feel like this is relevant somehow to this thread

https://youtu.be/a5DJbPgrGWs

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Been watching the current WW2 in color on Netflix about the invasion of Italy. One of the historians adds that because of Clarks disdain of the British and basically wanting glory decides to push into Rome instead of cutting off the German retreat north. Is there much truth to this? What were his chances of pushing across the rugged center of Italy in time to do that? And why exactly was Rome considered not relevant by the Germans? Was it not a major logistics hub?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SerthVarnee posted:

What else is he gonna spend his time on?
Rule the nation? He had people to do all that.
Converse with his adoring subjects? His ministers would really really really rather he didn't.
Conduct foreign diplomacy? See above.
Go hunting? Sure, but that gets dull after a month or two of constant rampaging through the countryside.

Willy also had a hosed up withered arm from an injury he had sustained as an infant (may have been during birth even), it was essentially useless leaving him one-armed in practice. To compensate his other arm was pretty strong though, and I think there's photos or film of him shooting a rifle one-handed. I doubt he could have been a very good hunter, and probably didn't do much of it.

e: Seems he actually is documented as doing a fair bit of hunting, as well as cutting wood, during his final years in exile.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 5, 2022

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Dick Ripple posted:

Been watching the current WW2 in color on Netflix about the invasion of Italy. One of the historians adds that because of Clarks disdain of the British and basically wanting glory decides to push into Rome instead of cutting off the German retreat north. Is there much truth to this? What were his chances of pushing across the rugged center of Italy in time to do that? And why exactly was Rome considered not relevant by the Germans? Was it not a major logistics hub?

Mark Clark was a well known glory hound which leads me to believe that if it had been possible to cut off the German retreat and take all those soldiers prisoner he would have if only for the spectacle. Given that he instead pushed for Rome means it probably wasn't.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My current meta for any "why didn't they just x" suggestion about the Italian front in WWII is to say, "OK, show me the roads they'd use to do that." A lot of ideas sound great until you realize the terrain doesn't really allow it. Invading Italy was probably one of those ideas.

Also, I don't know if anyone on the German side was planning this anyway, but the idea of trying to rush Rome and not allow the Nazis to try to reinforce it and fight for the city makes a lot of sense. I struggle to imagine a shittier job than trying to dig stubborn Germans out of Rome. Paris might have been it but I don't think there's another.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My current meta for any "why didn't they just x" suggestion about the Italian front in WWII is to say, "OK, show me the roads they'd use to do that." A lot of ideas sound great until you realize the terrain doesn't really allow it. Invading Italy was probably one of those ideas.

Also, I don't know if anyone on the German side was planning this anyway, but the idea of trying to rush Rome and not allow the Nazis to try to reinforce it and fight for the city makes a lot of sense. I struggle to imagine a shittier job than trying to dig stubborn Germans out of Rome. Paris might have been it but I don't think there's another.

I think they generally didn't fancy defending in Rome, because the terrain and position really wasn't that beneficial, the preferred strategy being to withdraw north to an easier to defend forntline, so the result was that when Rome became threatened it was declared and open city and abandoned.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rick Atkinson’s Day of Battle is an excellent history of the Sicily and mainland Italy invasions. I learned a ton about why it was so slow going, the use of paratroopers, and how much of a mess it was when Italy tried to switch sides.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jos mulle annettaisiin ase, ruumiita tulisi ihan lähijunassakin, you see.
There was some Finnish Air Force chat in the Grognard Games thread that I think is more relevant to this thread, so

Nenonen posted:

So yeah they changed the symbol on the planes to a blue and white roundel in 1944 for practical reasons, but militaries are big on tradition and they probably were proud of their symbol and thought history would forget that Bohemian corporal and his lot soon so it was left on squadron flags.

There's also a swastika, except with different proportions, on the Finnish president's flag, called the Freedom Cross. It's also on a medal.

And this thing was a thing too, the Order of the White Rose of Finland's Grand Cross with chain which also predates NSDAP:

Marshall Kliment Voroshilov received this in 1954 and Charles de Gaulle and Elizabeth II in 1962. de Gaulle was so embarassed by it that he tried to hide the chain. Finnish president Kekkonen then ordered a redesign of the chain next year.

Story doesn't tell how Liz reacted. But Voroshilov was cool with it, seen here between Finnish president Paasikivi and PM Kekkonen:

wouldn't have happened if Stalin lived :commissar:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Dick Ripple posted:

I did a search and can't find many defenders of Clark's actions that day. Most damning might be Clark himself, who when asked about the matter just poo poo-talked the British and said that Americans deserved to be first in Rome.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The initial plan was to advance to Valmontone, and there was a road. The decision by Clark to shift the axis of attack was delivered so late that Truscott was briefly shocked and had to hastily reorient his forces.

Valmontone was the initial objective. Clark's attack was launched along the coast, where the Germans had actually finished the defences of the Caesar line. It actually failed, and brought him no closer to Rome. The actual breakthrough came through a German blunder, as they left a gap in their lines engaging the single division that Clark had sent to Valmontone. VI Corps exploited this gap and raced for Rome along Highway 6, which was the initial plan. Clark just cocked it up for a week for no reason.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Mark Clark was a well known glory hound which leads me to believe that if it had been possible to cut off the German retreat and take all those soldiers prisoner he would have if only for the spectacle. Given that he instead pushed for Rome means it probably wasn't.

The only defense I could find online was the possibility that he had OSS intelligence about German buildup at Valmontone. But this was coming from him, and even with that knowledge it isn't very convincing. He still sent a lone division to contest it, if the Germans were truly strong they could have just mauled it all the same. It's not like his alternate thrust really worked.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Tomn posted:

Many Interesting Words

Few pages back now, but thanks again! This was fascinating.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Are there machine guns with variable settings for the rate of automatic fire? Someone mentioned that the high rates of fire of the MG34 and MG42 were counter-productive when the Germans used them to deliver suppressive fire since they ate through their ammo belts too quickly.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

White Coke posted:

Are there machine guns with variable settings for the rate of automatic fire? Someone mentioned that the high rates of fire of the MG34 and MG42 were counter-productive when the Germans used them to deliver suppressive fire since they ate through their ammo belts too quickly.

I think the BAR had that. Two different rates of automatic fire.

For a completely fictional example that doesn't answer your question there's the SMG in EYE Divine Cybermancy, which has fuller auto

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Any electric powered machine gun has a variable rate of fire. The M134 Minigun, and the GAU-8 Avenger, for examples.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

White Coke posted:

Yeah those exist, Forgotten Weapons recently had one on with the DS-39. Had a relatively slow-paced RoF for regular use, and a much faster one for anti-air use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krl3qHGOkgw

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jos mulle annettaisiin ase, ruumiita tulisi ihan lähijunassakin, you see.
Earlier MG-34 models had selectable cyclic rate. In MG-42 you could alter this by changing bolts and springs. A heavier bolt and stiffer spring would use more recoil energy to operate, thus slowing the operation. FN MAG has an adjustable gas valve for changing the cyclic rate.

The most important cyclic rate control is found under index finger, though. Automatic weapons aren't expected to be used like it was a Middle East wedding, except in anti-aircraft use. Shorter bursts will suppress the enemy just as well and you don't need to be changing the barrel all the time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Was there much use of cavalry on the Eastern Front during World War I?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

StandardVC10 posted:

Was there much use of cavalry on the Eastern Front during World War I?

Quite a bit. Horses are an excellent way to give a soldier the ability to move relatively long distances with less logistics drain than a motor vehicle.

At the time of Barbarossa the RKKA had four cavalry corps. They didn't do well in 1941, but new and reorganized cavalry units were fielded and used extensively until the end of the war. In addition to front line service they did the really useful but unromantic stuff; chewing up isolated units, keeping pro-Axis partisans away from supply lines or towns, that sort of thing.

The Soviets didn’t disband their last cavalry unit until 1957, so I guess you could say “cavalry survived into the nuclear age” if you wanted to do so.

Edit: Oh, poo poo, I thought you said WWII. Sorry about that.

Cavalry was used even more in WWI. The Russians had 36 Cavalry divisions at the start, and they were used extensively - and were also widely used in the Russian Civil War.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 6, 2022

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Worth noting that there was a lot of use of cavalry on the Western front before and after trench warfare developed too, though the British in particular had difficulty since they wanted to create combined arms units of horse cavalry and Whippet light tanks, but the horses were a bit too vulnerable and the tanks a bit too slow for it to be effective.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In the early stages there are pretty dynamic engagements with lots of glorious cavalry charges and lances at the ready but eventually it all turns in to dragoons

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cessna posted:

Quite a bit. Horses are an excellent way to give a soldier the ability to move relatively long distances with less logistics drain than a motor vehicle.

At the time of Barbarossa the RKKA had four cavalry corps. They didn't do well in 1941, but new and reorganized cavalry units were fielded and used extensively until the end of the war. In addition to front line service they did the really useful but unromantic stuff; chewing up isolated units, keeping pro-Axis partisans away from supply lines or towns, that sort of thing.

The Soviets didn’t disband their last cavalry unit until 1957, so I guess you could say “cavalry survived into the nuclear age” if you wanted to do so.

Indeed, the Soviets got a lot of use out of cavalry corps later on in the war as a way to get some of the benefits of motorized infantry with trucks and truck support being a precious and limited resource. Part of their emphasis on cavalry in the combined arms unit comes from the Russian Civil War experience where cavalry was a somewhat decisive arm in the running battles that characterized it.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Cessna posted:

https://twitter.com/RecceGen/status/1449688830970376198?s=20

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

A horse wearing a gas-mask is absolutely terrifying. Good to know.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

we saw that video clip in high school and everyone immediately changed their life goals to "ride a horse in to a nuclear explosion while shooting an AK"

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
The one with the guy with the saber out is the coolest photo ever taken

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Very 40k

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Phobeste posted:

The one with the guy with the saber out is the coolest photo ever taken

We would all watch the gently caress out of that movie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wow I can't believe we survived that nuclear blas- OH FOR FUCKS SAKE

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

zoux posted:

Wow I can't believe we survived that nuclear blas- OH FOR FUCKS SAKE

LMAO, literal horsemen of the apocalypse!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cav is also really good at scouting. Arguably it was the most important function it played even in the eras where we think of combat cav and and they stayed useful for it well into the automotive age. Horses are much more able to get around uneven and even rough terrain than a car. The US had scattered horse mounted recon elements through to the end of WW2. Double checking that I found this interesting tidbit:

quote:

In 1945, in Austria, a mounted reconnaissance company of the 10th Mountain Division, while not designated as cavalry, conducted the last horse-mounted charge of any U.S. Army organization.

Really, it’s the airplane, helicopter, and eventually sats/drones that replace the horse. Once you have a multi-hundred mile per hour way of zipping through the air to find out what’s on the other side of those hills then the horse becomes truly obsolete in a military context.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Cavalrymen were recruited heavily as fighter pilots in WWI for that reason - both the idea that if they could handle an unpredictable rear end in a top hat horse they could do the same with a finicky 1910s canvas plane, but also that sketching and scouting were the primary job of both cavalryman and early aviators.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

There were Green Berets who used horses in Afghanistan.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...n-18-years-ago/

article posted:

Although Nutsch said there was a steep learning curve at first, the men adapted well and the horses actually provided them with some flexibility. For example, they could ride at any time during the day or night, in all terrain types.

Meanwhile, the Taliban and al-Qaida had limited mobility using in the tanks left over from when the Soviet Union exited Afghanistan in the 1980s.

“The horses allowed us to get in around them and behind them, and cut them off basically from reinforcement and retreat,” Nutsch said. This was possible because the special forces teams worked in three-man cells, along with their Afghan allies, and could view the enemy from various vantage points in adjacent districts, Nutsch said.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MikeCrotch posted:

Cavalrymen were recruited heavily as fighter pilots in WWI for that reason - both the idea that if they could handle an unpredictable rear end in a top hat horse they could do the same with a finicky 1910s canvas plane, but also that sketching and scouting were the primary job of both cavalryman and early aviators.

Was it also because presumably lots of cavalrymen were aristocrats?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Cruel Sea is a good movie. It's also a movie that's actually about WWII, rather than a hero fantasy masked behind self-pity and outrageously evil villains.

just watched it

such a great film

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Was it also because presumably lots of cavalrymen were aristocrats?

cavalry officers are aristos but your average trooper is not

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Poor ol' Freckles, thought of rads and died.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Cruel Sea is a good movie. It's also a movie that's actually about WWII, rather than a hero fantasy masked behind self-pity and outrageously evil villains.

ChubbyChecker posted:

just watched it

such a great film

It is so good - probably the best of the black & white British WW2 movie genre. The book is (imo) even better than the film, although it makes the film version seem like an Ealing Comedy by comparison. A bit like how the author of 'Das Boot' hated the film adaptation because it was too cheery and upbeat...

On horse chat: the British Royal Army Veterinary Corp was originally set up to care for horses although now the majority of its work is with other animals. It's still responsible for the horses used for ceremonial purposes but does still plan, train and exercise for the deployment of horses in operational sense, since there are still some cases where it's anticipated they might be required (similar to the US using them in Afghanistan, I would suppose).

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

BalloonFish posted:

It is so good - probably the best of the black & white British WW2 movie genre. The book is (imo) even better than the film, although it makes the film version seem like an Ealing Comedy by comparison. A bit like how the author of 'Das Boot' hated the film adaptation because it was too cheery and upbeat...

On horse chat: the British Royal Army Veterinary Corp was originally set up to care for horses although now the majority of its work is with other animals. It's still responsible for the horses used for ceremonial purposes but does still plan, train and exercise for the deployment of horses in operational sense, since there are still some cases where it's anticipated they might be required (similar to the US using them in Afghanistan, I would suppose).

After that I watched Angels One Five which also had Jack Hawkins, but which wasn't nearly as good. Though it's interesting if you want to see how RAF operations rooms worked. Then I started watching Midshipman Easy, which was utter rubbish. I think I managed 10 minutes before quitting, it had gamer words and everything.

Re: cavalry and supplies. Cavalry and horse drawn carriages and artillery need quite a lot of supplies if you don't have the time and space to graze. And they need it even when not moving unlike trucks. On the plus side you can eat the horses, unlike trucks.

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cessna posted:

In his early life he sketched some seascapes and ships: link

And this - what we're probably talking about - was from an old Time/Life book, The Dreadnoughts. Not an academic source, but as good as I've found so far:

What I'm reading here is the Kaiser was ahead of his time in the design of Steampunk flying ships because drat that's a good piece of concept art right there for a steampunk drawingflying ship. (e: freudian slip)

Exhibit A: