Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

hello internet posted:

BEAR crew 4 life. PMC karma shouldn't matter too much when 90% of the player base is USEC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Toalpaz posted:

did yall see this?

This would own really hard

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Same here. I don't know why but I always feel like I can't see the person shooting me/off in the distance. Been playing first person shooters my whole life and this is the only game I have this struggle with (so far).

For myself, I think a huge factor is rushing too much, making too much noise, and always being the one surprised by the enemy rather than knowing someone is nearby ahead of time. I've been trying to slow myself down and having a slightly better result because of it. Also, need to stop fidgeting around. I know its an issue when playing with other goons and they can't listen for the enemy cause i keep shuffling around nonstop.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

Same here. I don't know why but I always feel like I can't see the person shooting me/off in the distance. Been playing first person shooters my whole life and this is the only game I have this struggle with (so far).

most otherh fps games puropsefully make it easier to spot the things you have to shoot whereas tarkov is very happy to let characters blend in if they stay still. and rightly so

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hello internet posted:

BEAR crew 4 life. PMC karma shouldn't matter too much when 90% of the player base is USEC

I imagine this will change a bit with streets when it comes out in 2042.

I think it's a cool mechanic but they need to tone the rogues aggro distance down just a touch.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hello internet posted:

А ну, чики-брики и в дамки!

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

fknlo posted:

I imagine this will change a bit with streets when it comes out in 2042.

I think it's a cool mechanic but they need to tone the rogues aggro distance down just a touch.

Rogue aggro range and accuracy are straight dumb right now

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
Tarkov is such a good game. It’s not perfect by any means but it checks A LOT of boxes for me I don’t play it a ton because it’s a stressful game (I suck at it) and sometimes I just want to chill. Also, my friend group won’t bite on it so I play other games with them.

The scav rep system is really fun. I do miss being able to murder hobo as a scav but in my short time playing this wipe, I’ve had so many good interactions with others with and without VOIP.

VOIP wasn’t something I thought I’d want but it’s mandatory to play with at this point. Just chatting with players while ratting it up may never get old.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What on earth :D This game is years old. And uhh a patch released a few weeks ago. I'd thought about giving it a try, but got a 35k deep queue? :D RIP. Something happened I guess.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Game is popular and servers are bad.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Maybe tomorrow then... new try.. Heh, on Friday, what I am imagining, no queue on Friday? Welp.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

itll probably clear up after the twitch drops end

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
Are the queues really that bad? I was sitting in one yesterday that was at 51k and thought I would never get in. I went and smoked a joint and made a coffee, came back, and my game was open and sitting at the menu.

How long have other people been waiting? It's been maybe 15min max for me.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Mellow_ posted:

Are the queues really that bad? I was sitting in one yesterday that was at 51k and thought I would never get in. I went and smoked a joint and made a coffee, came back, and my game was open and sitting at the menu.

When they first introduced the queues it took longer, but now it is around 5-15 minutes before I'm in pretty consistently.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Mellow_ posted:

I was ~38k in queue around noon today and got in in about 25 mins

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
I started at 31k when I post that and am now at 5k, so I guess 20min or so? Seems a lot slower than yesterday.

Maybe I smoke too much weed and have no sense of time any more.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The amount of loot scavs end up with after ratting around the water treatment plant on Lighthouse is incredible. Everyone is just running around dropping 50k+ items because they're trying to make room for even more poo poo.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
They added a 30 minute idle limit that massively improved queue times, its night and day compared to before.

Servers still seem pretty iffy overall, but its not like it was a few days ago.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ok, which one of you is AntiGearFearMan and got caught running down the Lighthouse beach at 2AM tagged and cursed in the nude?

Orv
May 4, 2011

I'm super late with this but I love how you both just decide "Alright yeah let's loving do this, let's go, stand right here."

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Phoix posted:

The amount of loot scavs end up with after ratting around the water treatment plant on Lighthouse is incredible. Everyone is just running around dropping 50k+ items because they're trying to make room for even more poo poo.

holy poo poo you weren't kidding

i dipped in and beelined to that spot, then listened to a duo just get wasted by the rogues. extract was 20 seconds from their bodies, lol

and yes between me and the 2-3 other scavs there we were leaving things behind. that svd was a last second grab after everyone else was done

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Orv posted:

I'm super late with this but I love how you both just decide "Alright yeah let's loving do this, let's go, stand right here."

lol that wasn't me but I did find that video by searching specifically for it because that scenario did happen to me. I should start recording.

I'm starting to get a little better. Actually completing raids where I get done what I actually want to get done. Killin' scavs. It's all coming together.

I escaped a team of three dudes I accidentally engaged (I thought it was just one dude lol) by hiding in a bush and not moving as they drat near stepped on me lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 7, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if u got nvidia you can setup a thing to grab the last however long after the fact and it has no perfomance impact. i think amd does to but idk how good it is.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Phoix posted:

How are you getting around the rogues? Or do you just fight them yourself/get lucky and somebody already did?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Stux posted:

if u got nvidia you can setup a thing to grab the last however long after the fact and it has no perfomance impact. i think amd does to but idk how good it is.

shadowplay or whatever right

e: oh it's instant replay in the overlay

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah no idea why they chantged the name of the thing everyone knew the name of lol it works really well, v handy in general

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Circling back to the PVP vs PVE discussion I’ve been reading this thread for a good 6 months and I’m still not super clear if this game is more of a PVP game with a small slice of PVE or PVE focused where you run into other people every so often.

I still haven’t pulled the trigger on the game but I’ve been super tempted.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Circling back to the PVP vs PVE discussion I’ve been reading this thread for a good 6 months and I’m still not super clear if this game is more of a PVP game with a small slice of PVE or PVE focused where you run into other people every so often.

I'm gonna say it's a PVP game. It's possible to play raids and not run into any other human players but they're always around you. All of the talk about anxiety and fear and being jump scared and all that poo poo is pretty much entirely PVP related.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Also never forget this is a survival horror game no matter what anybody else tries to call it

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
Ya. The game can be fun by just trying to PvE but the fact that you can die at anytime for any reason brings it all together. That doesn’t include the fact that a lot of quests are directly PvP oriented.

That said, you can still have a lot of fun avoiding gun fights if you’re into that but you’ll quickly get forced to from a number of different ways.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Chad playstyles are all about PVP. Rat playstyles are also, sorta, in a way about PVP, except thats mostly being about avoiding it at all costs. The PVE is no joke either, those scavs can still ruin your day, and the bosses and raiders are worse.

I think even just playing the single player mod will get yours moneys worth. Really loving switching between it and active online.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wrr posted:

I think even just playing the single player mod will get yours moneys worth. Really loving switching between it and active online.

Last I tried this the offline mod required a specific older version that was no longer available, is that still the case now? I could never really figure out how to get it working (I'd get the game to launch but the menu never showed up) so I just kinda gave up on it.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

MarcusSA posted:

A lot of this answer depends on the map you are running, where you are going on that map and how early in the raid you are doing it, and how early in the wipe it is. For example, factory is basically the deathmatch map and you can expect to PVP nearly every time you go in there. The chance of PVP on Woods is typically low to moderate as long as you avoid the lumbermill - you are usually only running across other players if you just happen upon each other while looting the less hot areas at the same time. Early in the wipe since everyone has the same missions you will see a lot more players in some places but after a week or two that usually thins out a lot.

Don't go assuming that you'll never need to PVP, since there are missions that require you to kill players. Probably the most important one (Friend From the West) requires 7 player kills and it gatekeeps all missions from one vendor. If you are running a standard account, you'll probably also want to do the Punisher series of missions at some point to unlock the largest secure container you can get (ignoring the Kappa that realistically only people who live and breathe the game will get during a wipe cycle) and 3/6 missions there require player kills with various parameters.

My group of 3 (occasionally 2 or 4) only plays a couple nights a week so we tend to focus getting missions completed and while we don't avoid PVP, we also don't usually look for it unless someone is on a mission that needs it. Typically, we solo our player kills on factory unless the specific mission is map restricted. I'd say that we see players maybe 1/3 to 1/4 of raids we run unless the missions are pushing us into a known hot PVP zone like Custom's Dorms (warning: a lot of early missions have you heading here) or Shoreline's Resort. It's also entirely probable that there are more players around us, but they aren't interested in instigating a 1v3, of course :D. Larger groups are harder to coordinate and more obvious running around the map, so I would expect that some solo players are just hiding while we pass through from time to time.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Fancy_Lad posted:

A lot of this answer depends on the map you are running, where you are going on that map and how early in the raid you are doing it, and how early in the wipe it is. For example, factory is basically the deathmatch map and you can expect to PVP nearly every time you go in there. The chance of PVP on Woods is typically low to moderate as long as you avoid the lumbermill - you are usually only running across other players if you just happen upon each other while looting the less hot areas at the same time. Early in the wipe since everyone has the same missions you will see a lot more players in some places but after a week or two that usually thins out a lot.

Don't go assuming that you'll never need to PVP, since there are missions that require you to kill players. Probably the most important one (Friend From the West) requires 7 player kills and it gatekeeps all missions from one vendor. If you are running a standard account, you'll probably also want to do the Punisher series of missions at some point to unlock the largest secure container you can get (ignoring the Kappa that realistically only people who live and breathe the game will get during a wipe cycle) and 3/6 missions there require player kills with various parameters.

My group of 3 (occasionally 2 or 4) only plays a couple nights a week so we tend to focus getting missions completed and while we don't avoid PVP, we also don't usually look for it unless someone is on a mission that needs it. Typically, we solo our player kills on factory unless the specific mission is map restricted. I'd say that we see players maybe 1/3 to 1/4 of raids we run unless the missions are pushing us into a known hot PVP zone like Custom's Dorms (warning: a lot of early missions have you heading here) or Shoreline's Resort. It's also entirely probable that there are more players around us, but they aren't interested in instigating a 1v3, of course :D. Larger groups are harder to coordinate and more obvious running around the map, so I would expect that some solo players are just hiding while we pass through from time to time.

i was going to write an effortpost response but it's basically this. you can almost entirely play this game as a pve experience if you're super aware of the map and your surroundings and have a deep understanding of how players move, but you'll never avoid it entirely. i'm quite poo poo at killing other players so i mostly play as a dirty dirty rat setting up ambushes and avoiding evenly matched confrontations. it's extremely satisfying to play this way... and also frustrating when i die like a coward

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

explosivo posted:

Last I tried this the offline mod required a specific older version that was no longer available, is that still the case now? I could never really figure out how to get it working (I'd get the game to launch but the menu never showed up) so I just kinda gave up on it.

With SPT-AKI they have downgraders posted on the mod pages. If you go to the site and click on HUB in the top right corner, that's the modding hub. Click on TOP RATED and you can get SPT-AKI and the patcher/downgrader. It's still on 12.11.whatever so no new guns, no lighthouse, etc but you can downgrade from 12.12 versions.

Wrr posted:

I do want to try 12.12 online at some point, probably when things calm down, but I do feel like I got my money out of EFT from playing offline. Some of the tasks though, what amazing design on some of them.

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 7, 2022

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Umbreon posted:

How are you getting around the rogues? Or do you just fight them yourself/get lucky and somebody already did?

In most of my raids PMCs have killed at least some of them. You can typically tell if it's safe or not based on whether the mounted gun guys are dead.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Pro tip, swing by the rocky hill on the bottom right overlooking water treatment. 1/4 raids there’s a dead PMC there who got cheeky trying to snipe the rogues.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I learned the hard way that the rogues are not to be hosed with as a scav.
But the times i've been there and the rogues were dead it was like total lootsville daddy-o.
There were so many mods laying around I couldn't pick them all up, I just wish I had any idea which ones were 50k+ winners and which ones were 3k losers.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

REDjackeT posted:

With SPT-AKI they have downgraders posted on the mod pages. If you go to the site and click on HUB in the top right corner, that's the modding hub. Click on TOP RATED and you can get SPT-AKI and the patcher/downgrader. It's still on 12.11.whatever so no new guns, no lighthouse, etc but you can downgrade from 12.12 versions.

I do want to try 12.12 online at some point, probably when things calm down, but I do feel like I got my money out of EFT from playing offline. Some of the tasks though, what amazing design on some of them.

I only play SPT-AKI now and while waiting for their 12.12 I decided to try out the QuestManiac mod. Holy poo poo. It's like 4000+ quests. You can remove certain kinds and make it your own which I did and I'm truly enjoying it. A lot of the quests feel like they should be in live tarkov too.

I can't go back to playing live until they add some of these sp mods to live. Hideout Architect is a god drat must have to name one.

Edit: Also, SPT-AKI tarkov is the easiest poo poo to install, its like 3 steps but yea their whole site and community on discord is a weird mess and hard to navigate.

NJersey fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

fuuuuck this event take him out of the game already goddamn. dude was running around me like a mofooooo