Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
goated poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Run Dodo Run posted:

He called me a "loving idiot" because I said I preferred Josh Freese's drum sound over Chris Vrenna once. It was in some like, small thread there were only three regular posters in as well which makes it even funnier because he must have spent a good amount of time just reading random stuff. It's like how TDS took so long to record because he kept playing Doom.

That's not even a competition. Freese is light-years more versatile

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That's not even a competition. Freese is light-years more versatile

the trap is laid

now we wait for trent to show up and call everyone in this thread loving idiots

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Always liked Freese’s album

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There's an expanded version of the Halsey album out on streaming now. What's most interesting is that there are 2 versions of a song called "Nightmare" -- the first version is pretty obviously not produced by Trent & Atticus, and the second version obviously is. It's cool to hear a clear-cut example of how they influenced the sound of the album.
There's also another new song, "People Disappear Here" (also produced by NIN)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

There's an expanded version of the Halsey album out on streaming now. What's most interesting is that there are 2 versions of a song called "Nightmare" -- the first version is pretty obviously not produced by Trent & Atticus, and the second version obviously is. It's cool to hear a clear-cut example of how they influenced the sound of the album.
There's also another new song, "People Disappear Here" (also produced by NIN)
Listening now. Was Nightmare a pre-album release single or something? It has 211 million plays on Spotify, while the song on the album that has the most plays is I am not a woman, I'm a god with 40 million. Seems unlikely that it got that many plays just being released today.

Also, People Disappear Here has the most obvious nod to Trent with its bridge:
"I hurt myself to make sure I exist
I pinch myself to make sure that I'm real
I hurt myself to make sure I exist
I need someone to tell me how to feel"

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Rageaholic posted:

Listening now. Was Nightmare a pre-album release single or something? It has 211 million plays on Spotify, while the song on the album that has the most plays is I am not a woman, I'm a god with 40 million. Seems unlikely that it got that many plays just being released today.

yeah iirc it was a non-album single released a few years ago, not initially connected to this album. TR&AR version is more like a remix/remake/reimagining i guess

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

That is definitely an interesting difference between the original nightmare and the one done with TR+AR. I guess I know where my music tastes go, I prefer the TR+AR version

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
People disappear here is pretty loving awesome. That piano and bass line are chef kiss.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if Trent is getting the collaboration bug out of his system now or whether it's going to carry over to the next NIN album...

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

...awwww yeah, Strobelight Vol. 2!

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Pussygrinder (Version) (feat. Phoebe Bridgers)

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Pussygrinder (Version) (feat. Phoebe Bridgers)

manifesting this :pray:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A Nine Inch Nailz (e.g. Gorillaz-esque) collab album would be awesome but does Trent like enough people to make something like that these days?

And if he wants to collaborate, why not collaborate with his wife and give us HTDA2

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Slam Bamboo reunion now

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Happy Hippo posted:

Slam Bamboo reunion now

Might as well throw option 30 in the mix too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeM_jfXxqjA

this cover actually whips and he should do a NIN-ized version of it now

e:
oh gently caress the gyrations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhyyQZ67544

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I just found out that someone uploaded six Slam Bamboo tracks to Spotify in 2015 and holy fuckin lol

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

A Nine Inch Nailz (e.g. Gorillaz-esque) collab album would be awesome but does Trent like enough people to make something like that these days?

And if he wants to collaborate, why not collaborate with his wife and give us HTDA2

I feel like he has kinda mellowed out over the years, so having a bunch of people doesn't seem as unreasonable as back when he told Robert Patrick he'd be better off delivering pizzas. Doubt he would work with Uncle Al again, but who knows?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Today would've been Bowie's 75th birthday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT3cERVRoQo

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I feel like he has kinda mellowed out over the years, so having a bunch of people doesn't seem as unreasonable as back when he told Robert Patrick he'd be better off delivering pizzas. Doubt he would work with Uncle Al again, but who knows?

Trent's had a lot of collaborators. NIN is very much his thing (well, now it's Trent & Atticus) but The Fragile for example had Adrien Belew and Dr. Dre along with some of the live band in the studio getting writing credits for some tracks. I remember the original Ghosts having a bunch of people in the studio contributing with Cortini and the drummer from Dresden Dolls doing a lot for the album. With Teeth had Dave Grohl drumming and so on and so forth. I guess if you strip it back then Pretty Hate Machine was a Trent record (discounting all the sampling and mastering/engineering personnel, and Richard Patrick's minor contribution) but starting and continuing on from Broken he's always had other musicians helping him make the albums, it's just that at the end of the day it's been his name. I think of Hesitation Marks as the last NIN album and that saw Cortini & Belew return with Lindsay Buckingham working on a few tracks (who saw that coming?) as well. It's kinda like Bowie who always had a lot of help but at the end of the day it was in his name.

I remember reading about the production of The Fragile and how Lohner and Clouser etc. were all at the studio and writing/recording with Trent. I think it was described as Trent basically messing around and coming up with lots of small ideas he'd forward to the other guys downstairs who'd experiment with what he sent and see if they could form a song out of it. He's very talented but he does have collaborators help making albums. I think he himself even stated the reason for Atticus joining the band was because he essentially had been in it for so long, citing how his way of working was just recording random ideas for hours and then leaving the room so Atticus could sift through all the material and see what was good and develop it into a song, and then Trent would return for Atticus to present what he'd developed and thought that they should work on.

I would really like a proper collaborative album however and someone mentioned Uncle Al who I'd love to get into a studio with Trent. I've always liked Al's freaky fishbowl/underwater voice and if there could be a strict "No vocal samples!" rule it would be great. Let Al bring his harmonica too and get Grohl back in on drums (or Freese who has been credited on Year Zero, I think) along with some new blood like Robert Fripp and Chu Ishikawa. I'd love to hear the result of Tom Waits being involved on a NIN track as well :allears: Liam Howlett dirtying things up would be interesting too.

I've always thought that a Trent Reznor & Thom Yorke collaboration would be amazing, even though it seems incredibly unlikely. I think Trent's been vocal about liking Radiohead however and 'All the Love in the World' seemed like a nod to them.

Edit: Just learned that Chu Ishikawa passed away in 2017 :(

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 9, 2022

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

I think it was described as Trent basically messing around and coming up with lots of small ideas he'd forward to the other guys downstairs who'd experiment with what he sent and see if they could form a song out of it.

Pretty sure it was the other way around. I read a Charlie Clouser AMA on this a little while back.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah it could be, I think that's where I read about that and I could be remembering the wrong way round.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does Liam Howlett actually collaborate with anyone?

Trent did vocals for a Pigface song and showed up in a video for Lead Into Gold (Paul Barker’s side project) so I wonder how well he knew some of the “industrial regulars” floating around in that universe. Chris Connelly, Nivek Ogre, Cevin Key, etc…

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Liam Howlett got Liam Gallagher singing on a tune, but musically I don't think so. He's a studio wizard and did some crazy impressive stuff before computers made it all easy but I think he just goes solo apart from vocals. He had someone from Pitchshifter on guitar duties live but I never looked into if he got involved in the studio. I would have liked to see how Copy of A would have turned out if he was involved, it would probably be more like the extended live version that turns into a banger.

Speaking of, I forgot to add Greg Puciato & Mike Patton to the list of dream collaborators as well. I know before they split up Dillinger Escape Plan joined NIN on stage (was it that farewell tour?) and performed Wish and maybe one or two more songs? Greg's got an insanely versatile voice however and has a broad range of tastes and projects, as well as being a multi-instrumentalist. Mike Patton has kinda fizzled out in recent times but I reckon locking him in a studio with no coffee for a week would get some interesting results :discourse:

As for industrial regulars, I think he knew most of them? Even had Bill Rieflin provide drums on The Fragile and yeah there was the Pigface mess with Trent putting Suck on Broken. He worked with Ministry for the Get Down Make Love cover (Al drugged him with Rohypnol and shaved his head while he was unconscious) and also sang for 1000 Homo DJs on Supernaut. Dave Ogilvie (former Skinny Puppy) has worked on NIN albums as well and I'm probably forgetting a bunch more. He probably knew Connelly through Pigface or Al, same going for Nivek, unless he knew him via Ogilvie but Down In It was a pretty blatant rip of a SP song so he might have avoided him. I think Trent's relationship with the regulars deteriorated around the time of Psalm 69 & Broken, but that's fueled by speculation of pot shots in the liner notes for each album.

It's funny how everyone seemingly knew everyone however. Even after Trent worked with Bowie, a couple years later Al was recording vocals for Supermanic Soul and David Bowie walked into the studio to watch since he was recording there too. Small world. Always wondered if that's what prompted Al to play saxophone on that album and sample Charles Mingus.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 9, 2022

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SUNKOS posted:

It's funny how everyone seemingly knew everyone however. Even after Trent worked with Bowie, a couple years later Al was recording vocals for Supermanic Soul and David Bowie walked into the studio to watch since he was recording there too. Small world. Always wondered if that’s what prompted Al to play saxophone on that album and sample Charles Mingus.

Probably drugs, lots and lots of drugs. That was also the last album he really tried to do something different on.

Yeah the 80s/90s industrial dudes seemingly all knew each other. I’ve always thought you could do some kind of “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon” thing with that crew using (probably) Uncle Al as the starting point.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

He had literally just shot up before Bowie walked in so yeah, your theory seems reasonable. I agree about trying new things as well, I liked how Al was always trying new stuff but after Barker left he just went into thrash for the most part. The newest Ministry album is better than the prior ones and has some good moments (nice to hear Jello Biafra as well) but I liked Al's experimentation and how it would actually work as well. I remember learning about how the Stigmata riff was made using this new computer they managed to acquire at the time and it was all digital guitar with a digital saxophone buried in there giving it that weird and unique sound. Al claims he recorded that song quickly in a last-minute rush to give the album an extra song but regardless he must have felt like a genius after coming up with that idea. Wish he'd used the mandolin more as well since it worked freakishly well in live performances of Reload. No idea what happened with the studio version of that song however, it sounds really messed up but maybe the intention was for it to sound like a squeal given the album name?

On that note, I just learned Paul Barker put out a new Lead Into Gold album in 2018 so I need to check that out. Think it might have Bill Rieflin's last performance :(

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Wasn't there a magazine interview towards the start of last year where he mentioned wanting to focus on collaborations for future projects, including the next NIN album?

I think a Gorillaz-esque NIN album would be really really cool

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

At this point, Tapeworm might actually be reasonable now. All the label fuckery that was supposedly one of the reasons why it never came to fruition doesn't matter now that everything is owned by like three conglomerates.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think Maynard releasing Passive might have killed the possibility of that. My memory is really foggy on this but didn't multiple people involved also say that the sessions didn't actually produce many songs? I could swear Maynard commented that Passive was the only thing they finished writing and he wanted to get it out there but I could be completely wrong.

Edit: Checked and seems like they had a completed album but Trent's stance on it is that it isn't good enough to release even if contracts were worked out. Not sure why he still got peeved about Maynard releasing Passive, though? Apparently Maynard put another Tapeworm song out with Puscifer that's called Potions and it's a great song. Definitely sounds like something Trent would have been involved in writing as well. The Wiki page for it says Tommy Victor was pissed that Trent gave his Tapeworm contribution to Marilyn Manson as well, and I had no idea that Phil Anselmo was involved :stare:

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 9, 2022

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Again, now that Trent is older and seems more mellow, I feel that a project like Tapeworm is more likely to happen in that maaaaaybe he can let things go a little and stuff that isn't quite as perfect as he wants them to be can be released.

Depending on what roster you are looking at, it likely doesn't scratch the surface of the people that were rumored to be working on it. Pretty much every mid-90s alt rock person was said to be contributing to it at one time or another.

Anselmo is probably the one of the least surprising contributors as he did vocals for Trendkill at Nothing, and for as many side projects as he as done, laying some tracks to burn tape probably wasn't much of an ask. As to what the lyrical content could have been, the mind boggles...

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Again, now that Trent is older and seems more mellow, I feel that a project like Tapeworm is more likely to happen in that maaaaaybe he can let things go a little and stuff that isn't quite as perfect as he wants them to be can be released.

No thanks, the uncompromising TR is the only one I want to hear from.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I seem to recall Trent saying that Tapeworm wound up being about a 7 out of 10 and that if members of Tool and NIN, etc collaborated then it really needed to be a 10 out of 10.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

According to the Charlie Clouser AMA Tapeworm didn't make it far beyond the conceptual stage. It wasn't like they recorded an album and then canned it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Everything that ever came out of tapeworm was honestly never good. Probably for the best it never happened

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

david_a posted:

Yeah the 80s/90s industrial dudes seemingly all knew each other. I’ve always thought you could do some kind of “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon” thing with that crew using (probably) Uncle Al as the starting point.
I had a co-worker back in like 2000 and he and I used to play Six Degrees of Trent Reznor when we were bored.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a NIN question, I haven't listened to too much of his catalog, but I'm 39 :corsair: so I specifically remember being in middle school when downward spiral came out. I would try to catch the video for closer on MTV late at night when my parents were asleep, and I remember the "bad kids" would have their downward spiral shirts, and I was jealous because there was no way in hell my parents would ever let me buy it

I'm not really an industrial person at all, but I do like some kinds of electronic music (mainly ambient). I'm listening to this album now fully for the first time, my favorite track is a warm place, hurt, obviously closer is great, but ruiner is the highlight for me (whatever that synth is that starts at 2:12 is awesome, kind of sounds like a trumpet). With that being said, I know trent is a pretty smart person - with tracks like heresy, which are obviously shocking (and definitely more so in the 1990s), is he just going for shock value, or is there something more to it, some sort of message he is trying to send? obviously there are several other kind of "shocking" tracks/lyrics on this album.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Downward Spiral is a concept album. Give it more listens and can pick up on the motifs he scatters through out. There's been a lot of effort posts and writing around that thing.

The short hand is that it captures the cycle of an individual as he hurdles toward his inevitable destruction. That's the general loose interpretation in my opinion.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hatelull posted:

The Downward Spiral is a concept album. Give it more listens and can pick up on the motifs he scatters through out. There's been a lot of effort posts and writing around that thing.

The short hand is that it captures the cycle of an individual as he hurdles toward his inevitable destruction. That's the general loose interpretation in my opinion.

what would you say is the main reason for these messages in his music? Is it reflecting something that he feels internally, or maybe a reaction to things going on in the world (political etc.)? I'm going to assume he's nonreligious and probably has a leftist political viewpoint (?)

but most important, like me he has greyhounds! lol

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 11, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

with the exception of year zero, trent has generally left politics out of nin's music. it's more a reflection of himself and what he feels are flaws in society

i mean it's not hard to figure out the "meaning" of the downward spiral, just skim the lyrics a bit.

1. mr self destruct - heroin
2. piggy - nihilism
3. heresy - religion bad
4. march of the pigs - conformity
5. closer - trent horney
6. ruiner - society bad
7. the becoming - transformation
8. i do not want this - self doubt
9. big man with a gun - ultraviolence parody
10. a warm place -
11. eraser - self loathing
12. reptile - trent horney, but actually about heroin again
13. the downward spiral - suicide
14. hurt - i mean its obvious

there's probably also a million interviews with him from the 90s you could dig up. i'd say its about 50% shock value and the other 50% is genuine self loathing and mental health/drug struggles. he is a known edgelord, he rented out the house that sharon tate was murdered in to record the album (which makes the piggy references a little sus) and then took the front door to be used as the entrance to his recording studio in new orleans.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

polyester concept posted:

with the exception of year zero, trent has generally left politics out of nin's music. it's more a reflection of himself and what he feels are flaws in society

i mean it's not hard to figure out the "meaning" of the downward spiral, just skim the lyrics a bit.

1. mr self destruct - heroin
2. piggy - nihilism
3. heresy - religion bad
4. march of the pigs - conformity
5. closer - trent horney
6. ruiner - society bad
7. the becoming - transformation
8. i do not want this - self doubt
9. big man with a gun - ultraviolence parody
10. a warm place -
11. eraser - self loathing
12. reptile - trent horney, but actually about heroin again
13. the downward spiral - suicide
14. hurt - i mean its obvious

there's probably also a million interviews with him from the 90s you could dig up. i'd say its about 50% shock value and the other 50% is genuine self loathing and mental health/drug struggles. he is a known edgelord, he rented out the house that sharon tate was murdered in to record the album (which makes the piggy references a little sus) and then took the front door to be used as the entrance to his recording studio in new orleans.

The hand that feeds is a very political song

They’ve had Bush, McCain and I think even Obama and trump playing while playing that song live