Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Anita Dickinme posted:

Honestly there shouldn’t be any leveling since they got rid of scaling. Should just be weapon mastery in itself as progression.

too logical

Ort posted:

Sounds like they are adding M+ with difficulty ranging from 1-10 for expeditions. Despite the bugs and stuff this game adds content faster than most MMO launches I’ve seen in recent years, with pretty major updates every single month since release.

Lol one of the "major updates" was "we know everything is broken and not working but we added a bunch of dogshit you can buy in the cash shop!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

O/U on sale to gamigo? 18 months?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

downout posted:

I don't see amazon doing it. Amazon will either shutter it or we'll all be talking how amazing it is after a couple years.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

there is legit a sweetspot in games sucking and being unbalanced where you can squeeze the most fun out of them while finding creative ways to sidestep the intended grinds/tedium and that usually completely dries up the second any real QA is done

much like cyberpunk, both games will just become worse as time goes on and things get fixed because they'll still be boring but also completely bland instead of unintentionally hilarious

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Turambar posted:

Yes, although I was probably one of the only members that has been online the last couple of weeks due to general disinterest in the game. But they should be used to that :)

Don't have any mods installed or done any suspicious trading. I'm really baffled

edit:

lol and lmao
I pre-ordered this to get in the beta, and quit playing well over a month ago.

This legitimately pisses me off and makes me want to try and get a refund. I think I'm going to try since I literally never ask for them on Steam (the last and possibly only game I asked for a refund on was No Man's Sky).

I really don't want them having any of my money, ever. I wonder if I can just lie and say I was banned for no reason, like this poster.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

JuffoWup posted:

I don't see amazon doing it. Amazon will either shutter it or we'll all be talking how amazing it is after a couple years.

Pretty sure the Wildstar players are suffering from dementia, I tried it back when it went F2P and it was just boring and dull.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

RagnarokZ posted:

Pretty sure the Wildstar players are suffering from dementia, I tried it back when it went F2P and it was just boring and dull.

Perhaps people enjoy different things?
I tried WoW a couple of times and never played more than a week, because it was not fun for me.
I managed quite a lot longer in WildStar.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Evil_Greven posted:

no

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RagnarokZ posted:

The old Wildstar SA thread and subreddits were full of glorious drum banging true believer posts. I doubt they've changed their opinions since.

Kind of funny because you have mmos like Perfect World International which are ancient and have subsisted off server populations of about a hundred active people for over a decade.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

downout posted:

the gamigo thing only happened because trion worlds poo poo itself to death and went bankrupt, idk how hard amazon would have to poo poo itself to go bankrupt

pretty hard

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Ad by Khad posted:

the gamigo thing only happened because trion worlds poo poo itself to death and went bankrupt, idk how hard amazon would have to poo poo itself to go bankrupt

pretty hard

Right but if profits drop to a few million a year and amz can unload somewhere for 30 mil they'd do it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Reminder that Sony is definitely still around & profitable. That didn't stop them selling off Everquest to Daybreak who subsequently put the dying horse Everquest Landmark out of its misery.

Huh. Maybe Daybreak can look after New World.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

My gut tells me Amazon would shut the game down rather than sell it, but I have nothing to back that up.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We'll have a better idea around the 12 month mark post launch. Even each Bless iteration manages to last about 12 months per launch & closure cycle and (failures and all) I think New World isn't a Bless.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think New World can last for a while. Even when we eventually get down to a few servers per region I think as long as dummies (like me) keep paying for stupid skins and the eventual subscription for super dope subpar bonuses they’ll keep it up.

My estimate is a solid four-five years before the game is dead if we ever get to that point but I am an optimist. Of course I won’t play anymore if I end up being the last goon on the server.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't see the game ever recovering from the infinite money exploits abused to hell and back ruining any attempt to even pretend the economy matters when someone can spend 1% of their exploited wealth to buy up every single thing on the market at any given time.

But I can see the game being good some years down the line... when some russians get a hold of the code and make their own bootleg version of the game with 1000% increased experience and a focus on pvp focused balance changes and seasonal wipes and fresh starts.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm unsure. If Amazon was really expecting this to be a billion dollar smash hit (loving lmao), I can see them shuttering it. If they're OK with it merely being profitable, however, I suspect it won't be shutting down in the next few years. After a few content updates I could see it coasting along in maintenance mode for years while a skeleton crew keeps it running and makes new cosmetics for the cash shop.

Either way, the odds of it ever being a great game are basically zero.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't see the game ever recovering from the infinite money exploits abused to hell and back ruining any attempt to even pretend the economy matters when someone can spend 1% of their exploited wealth to buy up every single thing on the market at any given time.

But I can see the game being good some years down the line... when some russians get a hold of the code and make their own bootleg version of the game with 1000% increased experience and a focus on pvp focused balance changes and seasonal wipes and fresh starts.

:goonsay: The cap for a character is 500k gold so they couldn’t buy everything on the AH. :smug:

But really though if anything it helped the economy. Gold isn’t just something the common man is going to acquire a surplus of. This MMO like every other has that elite 1% that no one cares about so the economy is fine especially since there’s quite a few gold sinks in the game that just end up going poof like declaring war. If anything there needs to be more gold.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Anita Dickinme posted:

:goonsay: The cap for a character is 500k gold so they couldn’t buy everything on the AH. :smug:

And then I remind you that there was an exploit using Steam's family share, that means that having a significant multitude of alts, is pretty straightforward.

So yeah, probably a loooooot of gold out there.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dammit I was hoping no one would bring that up! :argh:

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Anita Dickinme posted:

Dammit I was hoping no one would bring that up! :argh:

That's New World for you, imagine the massive failure and New World will deliver it to you.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Anita Dickinme posted:

But really though if anything it helped the economy. Gold isn’t just something the common man is going to acquire a surplus of. This MMO like every other has that elite 1% that no one cares about so the economy is fine especially since there’s quite a few gold sinks in the game that just end up going poof like declaring war. If anything there needs to be more gold.

I suck at games, and suck at this one too.
So I run around chopping trees down and hitting things with a big loving hammer, and it's fun.
I checked how much gold I have (I am level 31 lol) and I have like 10,000 gold.
Then I discovered I can buy poo poo to finish town board quests, so now I have 9500 gold.
I feel like I play this thing in such a lightweight way that nothing is bothering me, I am not in a company, have no idea what they are really, I see the map is different colours, no clue why, and when I enter town some bullshit text pops up about taxes and stuff, no clue what that's all about.
I am having fun still, skinning rabbits and poo poo then going back to town and blindly clicking stuff I can craft to make a number go up.
It all feels very much like a cheapo survival game to me rather than an MMO

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
As soon as you start trying to play a little serious the game isn't fun. It is fun if you gently caress around chasing whatever shiny thing you want until like lvl 30 or 40. Its just fine at that

Anita Dickinme posted:

Don't think about the full companies making millions a week from owning cities, just pretend that doesn't exist.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
void ore used to be worth like 15k a piece. ackilles was 500k by week three

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Don't think about the full companies making millions a week from owning cities, just pretend that doesn't exist.
Yup, that's the real one. The companies that have owned Windsward or Everfall from release are the real economic issue that no one ever sees. There were plenty of obvious design solutions to that very obvious problem from the start, but lol and lmao

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

a focus on pvp focused balance changes and seasonal wipes and fresh starts.

I gotta be honest, New World even as-is would be loving sweet if there were some progression speedups and it ran wiped leagues like Path of Exile. It helps the MTX model too.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Ranzear posted:

I gotta be honest, New World even as-is would be loving sweet if there were some progression speedups and it ran wiped leagues like Path of Exile. It helps the MTX model too.

Why? The gameplay isn't fun if you remove the golds and the bots outta the equation and the grind is too long and dull to be fun as a seasonal thing.

I mean the crafting and gathering, speeding up Exp gain is probably smart, yeah.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Why? The gameplay isn't fun if you remove the golds and the bots outta the equation and the grind is too long and dull to be fun as a seasonal thing.

I mean the crafting and gathering, speeding up Exp gain is probably smart, yeah.

Well, the grind wouldn't be so long since they mentioned progression speed ups as well. It would probably held out longer for sure. As the next character wipe would instantly remove all exploited gold. I wonder if such a game that openly sells that every 3 months, the world is washed clean and you have to start over with nothing would do in sales. Too niche, or would people be on board with a mmo where the servers automatically restarts the world every x days. Your character would still be there, and thus the flag to skip tutorial would be left on, but you would just wake up again with nothing and have to start it all over again. Add server events that if the server completes them in time, some extra time is added before the server wipes.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

JuffoWup posted:

Well, the grind wouldn't be so long since they mentioned progression speed ups as well. It would probably held out longer for sure. As the next character wipe would instantly remove all exploited gold. I wonder if such a game that openly sells that every 3 months, the world is washed clean and you have to start over with nothing would do in sales. Too niche, or would people be on board with a mmo where the servers automatically restarts the world every x days. Your character would still be there, and thus the flag to skip tutorial would be left on, but you would just wake up again with nothing and have to start it all over again. Add server events that if the server completes them in time, some extra time is added before the server wipes.

this isn't too far from how everquest handles progression servers - you start with basic content and expansions get unlocked over time, then once the population starts to die down too much they just spin up a fresh progression server, sometimes with different rules

it's fairly popular, probably the only reason that game is still alive tbh, so the basic concept of seasonal servers in an mmorpg is proven to be profitable and honestly I could see it being the only way mmorpgs can compete going forward. you don't have to produce nearly as much content to keep the players happy when you don't have to deal with a population that's steadily becoming more and more top-heavy and instead of having to release a bunch of new dungeons regularly enough to maintain a player base you can just do custom rulesets

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

My estimate is a solid four-five years before the game is dead if we ever get to that point but I am an optimist. Of course I won’t play anymore if I end up being the last goon on the server.

How many goons are still active in the server?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

peter gabriel posted:

I suck at games, and suck at this one too.
So I run around chopping trees down and hitting things with a big loving hammer, and it's fun.
I checked how much gold I have (I am level 31 lol) and I have like 10,000 gold.
Then I discovered I can buy poo poo to finish town board quests, so now I have 9500 gold.
I feel like I play this thing in such a lightweight way that nothing is bothering me, I am not in a company, have no idea what they are really, I see the map is different colours, no clue why, and when I enter town some bullshit text pops up about taxes and stuff, no clue what that's all about.
I am having fun still, skinning rabbits and poo poo then going back to town and blindly clicking stuff I can craft to make a number go up.
It all feels very much like a cheapo survival game to me rather than an MMO
I like how this thread is 90% people making GBS threads on this game and like 10% people trying to convince themselves its worth playing

"just ignore all the features in the game and try not to understand what's going on too much"

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Gadfly posted:

How many goons are still active in the server?

We had about five on every day during the holidays and saw ten last week so it’s hard to say. More goons will probably come back this week but also probably not. We’ll see.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I wonder if we could convince AGS to put up the world's first regression server.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

We had about five on every day during the holidays and saw ten last week so it’s hard to say. More goons will probably come back this week but also probably not. We’ll see.

Eh, I guess it's still not as dead as some other games.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

blatman posted:

this isn't too far from how everquest handles progression servers - you start with basic content and expansions get unlocked over time, then once the population starts to die down too much they just spin up a fresh progression server, sometimes with different rules

it's fairly popular, probably the only reason that game is still alive tbh, so the basic concept of seasonal servers in an mmorpg is proven to be profitable and honestly I could see it being the only way mmorpgs can compete going forward. you don't have to produce nearly as much content to keep the players happy when you don't have to deal with a population that's steadily becoming more and more top-heavy and instead of having to release a bunch of new dungeons regularly enough to maintain a player base you can just do custom rulesets

Right, but the old servers are still there. You can still log in to the old servers and continue. I mean where all servers just reset after a certain time. Obviously, gameplay would need to be more focused on a fluid class system like new world, release rift, and ffxi(v) to work.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Evil_Greven posted:

I tried WoW a couple of times and never played more than a week, because it was not fun for me.
I managed quite a lot longer in WildStar.

Wow sucks, but this is one of the most insane things I’ve ever seen posted on this website.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rexicon1 posted:

Wow sucks, but this is one of the most insane things I’ve ever seen posted on this website.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

I said come in! posted:

We almost got it from Camelot Unchained, but it was effectively canceled. :/ Turns out the devs were scamming everyone that crowdfunded it. Now they are out of money and can't finish it is what I last heard, but also the devs have proven to be liars and misleading people.

Lmao that Nerdslayer helped with this by making a Death Of A Game: Dark Age of Camelot that was actually just a "ACTUALLY THIS GAME IS SO AWESOME OH MAN IT RULES BY THE WAY I WORK FOR THE PEOPLE MAKING CAMELOT UNCHAINED" shill, so :lmao: that I correctly saw this as a reason to stop watching his videos.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

That one always seemed odd to me. My understanding is that its failure was largely due to its tuning, not its framework. Did I misunderstand? Why would you kill a game that could be saved with balance adjustments?

Wildstar had wild swings in what was wrong with it depending on when you are talking about. At first the big issue was a dumb month long time gated and buggy attunement that could break and literally only be fixed by rerolling your character mixed with lovely gear itemization with a stupidly designed stat system that made raids loving hard just because it was hard mathematically to defeat them.

They did away with most of the attunement, when it went F2P the attunement became "Finish the 4 max level dungeons" and they gave alternate paths to gear up and boosted itemization so that if you jumped through a few hoops you could functually take a 20 man raid with about six smart people and 14 complete dipshits in and still complete the content. This lead to a new problem: Everyone interested in raiding was done with them by the time F2P was a few months old. The stripped out dev team just couldn't pump enough content into the game to keep people interested. They added a new daily zone that most people abandoned almost instantly because chores aren't fun, and they added a new dungeon that was just boring (It was a single arena dungeon like the argent crusade tourney) and the new raid wasn't enough to keep a playerbase that hosed off to a new WoW expansion.

Ultimately not catering enough to the bread and butter base (Casuals players) is what hosed Wildstar out of the gate, and while they addressed that they were so far behind that they could never catch up.

Edit: Also from a cost to build to how much money it made the game was in some pretty savage debt. Ultimately even leaving it on autopilot was never going to clear the initial money outlay and welp.

RagnarokZ posted:

Starting players in standard snow/desert zones was a mistake. Should have started them on the moon zone with it's whacky physics and just kept getting progressively whackier after that. Honestly that's probably a big part of that games problem. It was the same as literally every MMO ever in leveling even down to the way the zones looked save one or two interesting ones. It was generic till you got to late game dungeons and raids. Great music design though.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I've said this before, but I liked Wildstar's combat but the zones were dull and the quests were dull and it didn't get better by like level 20 or so which is when I lost interest.