Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Synth Riders has a free demo with a decent amount of content in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This is kind of a weird question but my google-fu isn't good enough. Is there a way to 'attach' a window to an area so that it stays over the rest of the VR area? Like if I wanted to screw around in The Forest or Subnautica or something but have a small browser window hovering off to the side I can glance at for watching Twitch or something?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How was the matchmaking? That’s always my issue with VR games is that either everyone is playing them or no one is

If this was to me about Steel Crew, I can't say much I've only played 2 hours and in that it went from 1-8 people or so but steam stats look p sad once I checked. Would suck if this one dies on the vine, it's actually fun to play even just as a pubby so probably tons more fun with some coordination on comms

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pierson posted:

This is kind of a weird question but my google-fu isn't good enough. Is there a way to 'attach' a window to an area so that it stays over the rest of the VR area? Like if I wanted to screw around in The Forest or Subnautica or something but have a small browser window hovering off to the side I can glance at for watching Twitch or something?

Yep, in the SteamVR menu, near the bottom left you can access your desktop windows and screens then pin one to either hand or in a fixed position in the world.

If SteamVR isn't an option for whatever reason you can use a program like OVR Toolkit.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Megasabin posted:

Seems like the Oculus really just didn't like that charging cable. Weird.

Are there any free or cheap apps/games that are good/impressive to show off VR to other people? RE4 is the only game I own currently and There's friends I'd rather not just pop into that.

You should have the First Steps app on there already, which is pretty nice for a tech demo.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Hmmmm, I got a referral set up with a goon on here. However, it just says that the referral was accepted but it never sent through the credit.

I messaged Oculus about it and they want the following “to further look into this”:

Your Oculus username, name and email
Your friend Oculus username and email
Your friend device serial number and retail receipt or invoice
A screenshot of the message you sent with the referral link

The last two seem to be pretty extreme to solve this problem and I have a feeling that it may came back to bite me (and the other goon) if I go send the info.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Megasabin posted:

Seems like the Oculus really just didn't like that charging cable. Weird.

Are there any free or cheap apps/games that are good/impressive to show off VR to other people? RE4 is the only game I own currently and There's friends I'd rather not just pop into that.

In addition to the things people already mentioned, if the person you're showing off to is a fan of space flight, there a free app called Mission ISS which is a free roaming exploration of the space station inside and outside, it uses zero gravity locomotion so if they're older that might get disorienting for them? On that note Echo VR is a free disc-hockey kind of game in zero gravity, a lot of fun.

The original oculus intro demo 'First Contact' is still available and free, thats a very easy going intro for folks, that I still like better than the current first steps one.

Theres lots of games with free demos, Superhot being a usually big wow game for people who've never tried it.

Bait! is a free fishing game, if theres older folks in your life they might enjoy something straightforward like that?

Elixer is a free demo thing to show off the camera hand tracking, so its pretty simple (if sometimes janky) for people that get confused holding a controller.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Megasabin posted:

In addition to First Steps, you can download First Contact, which was the CV1 demo and still holds up and has a lot of charm. For Star Wars fans Vader Immortal is a comfortable experience and really wows.

If you're having a house/dinner party I can't recommend Acron enough to both wow and delight. If you're not familiar it's an asymmetrical multiplayer game where several players on the free phone app play a fairly standard flat screen 3rd person platformer as nut-coveting squirrels, and the headset player plays as a tree defending his precious nuts from them, throwing things at them and even picking them up to hurl into the abyss before they get them back to their home base to score.

Pretty much every time I've broken it out it's been a huge hit.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
My Quest 2 is working pretty darn well, the biggest problem I have right now is blurry vision. The view area in the center is sharp, but it gradually gets more blurry as you get away from the center. How can I tinker with this? I've adjusted the lens distance according to my IPD, and it did not seem to make a difference. What helps me the most is if I physically hold the headset with one hand, and pull it away from my face, for a really small distance like 1/8 of an inch.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Node posted:

My Quest 2 is working pretty darn well, the biggest problem I have right now is blurry vision. The view area in the center is sharp, but it gradually gets more blurry as you get away from the center. How can I tinker with this? I've adjusted the lens distance according to my IPD, and it did not seem to make a difference. What helps me the most is if I physically hold the headset with one hand, and pull it away from my face, for a really small distance like 1/8 of an inch.

If you don’t wear glasses you could try putting the glasses spacer in, that may just give you the distance you need.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Node posted:

It's normal for the view to get blurry as you get away from the center. It's a limitation from the optics. The questions is how much does it.
What I think it happens is, not all Quest 2 are the same, the manufacturing process for optics isn't as exact as manufacturing a chip (and chips already have varying qualities, think how overclocking varies on the same model sometimes!).
You may have a 'bad' one. The secret way to deal with it is buying 2 Quests, trying both, and returning the lesser one.

Or at least try to compare the experience with a friend, if you have a friend with a Quest 2.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I got my Frankenquest set up and the pleather "comfort" facial interface from VRCover just arrived, and this is indeed much more comfortable than the Quest 2 with the deluxe strap. Thanks for the advice, SCheeseman!

I think the VRCover facial interface might be the more important of the two components, just because you can tighten your strap more (putting more weight on your head and less on your face) without the nasty foam interface pressing into your face.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Hmmmm, I got a referral set up with a goon on here. However, it just says that the referral was accepted but it never sent through the credit.

I messaged Oculus about it and they want the following “to further look into this”:

Your Oculus username, name and email
Your friend Oculus username and email
Your friend device serial number and retail receipt or invoice
A screenshot of the message you sent with the referral link

The last two seem to be pretty extreme to solve this problem and I have a feeling that it may came back to bite me (and the other goon) if I go send the info.

I used their chat from my phone and within 20mins had the credit on both of our accounts. Just needed to provide them the link I was sent and our email/occulus info. No serial numbers or anything.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yep, in the SteamVR menu, near the bottom left you can access your desktop windows and screens then pin one to either hand or in a fixed position in the world.

If SteamVR isn't an option for whatever reason you can use a program like OVR Toolkit.

If you're on Oculus and PC connected (either link cable or airlink) you can also do this by bringing up the desktop window and then clicking the little pin in the bottom right. You can drag them around with the grip and move/resize with the thumbsticks.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

If it's the referral I used I did some digging a few days after it didn't work and I saw that they closed the device wipe loophole right around the time we tried it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Best mount and carrying case for an oculus quest 2? I 3D printed one and while it works now once my Kiwi strap shows up it'll definitely fall over.

Also something to travel with to keep it safe.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I normally don't mind the cord attached to the G2 but last night I was playing Prop Hunt in VR and it really gummed up my business, even though it's on a pulley on the ceiling.

The next wireless offering at a good price is gonna be a slam-buy for me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Speaking of ceiling pulleys, I always wondered if you could attach a cord to the top of the headset to take most of the weight, then the other end to the ceiling or a stand or something.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wait. Where can you play prop hunt in VR?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Gort posted:

Speaking of ceiling pulleys, I always wondered if you could attach a cord to the top of the headset to take most of the weight, then the other end to the ceiling or a stand or something.

just attach some helium balloons to your headset

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Inzombiac posted:

I normally don't mind the cord attached to the G2 but last night I was playing Prop Hunt in VR and it really gummed up my business, even though it's on a pulley on the ceiling.

The next wireless offering at a good price is gonna be a slam-buy for me.

I have people tell me regularly I'm an idiot and the cords fine.

They also preach pulley things.

Owned em all. Still regularly reach up and yank that cable down while doing climbing, throwing, or any overhand motions.

gently caress I want wireless so bad again. I really should sell some old VR crap and grab a pro 2.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

m.hache posted:

Best mount and carrying case for an oculus quest 2? I 3D printed one and while it works now once my Kiwi strap shows up it'll definitely fall over.

Also something to travel with to keep it safe.

A lot of folks, including me, are fans of the Apache case line from Harbor Freight. I got the 3800 but I'll probably move up to the 4800 if I end up with more accessories.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait. Where can you play prop hunt in VR?

Pavlov!

It's basically becoming the catch-all shooter game now that is has Push, TTT, The Hidden and Gary's Mod is (sorta) getting remade in it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Manager Hoyden posted:

A lot of folks, including me, are fans of the Apache case line from Harbor Freight. I got the 3800 but I'll probably move up to the 4800 if I end up with more accessories.

Thanks. drat that's expensive for a case. Almost a third of the cost of the headset up here in Canada

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

m.hache posted:

Thanks. drat that's expensive for a case. Almost a third of the cost of the headset up here in Canada

Dang, down here they are thirty and fifty bucks respectively.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

m.hache posted:

Maybe look at Nanuk cases if you're in Canada. If you're in luck you'll have a local reseller and won't have to pay shipping. They're basically a budget Pelican-alike.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Stormangel posted:

If it's the referral I used I did some digging a few days after it didn't work and I saw that they closed the device wipe loophole right around the time we tried it.

They got rid of the loophole? I just got my Quest 2 over the weekend and didn't know about the credit until today.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

diremonk posted:

They got rid of the loophole? I just got my Quest 2 over the weekend and didn't know about the credit until today.

yeah, now you must actually use the referral before setting up your quest

so, if you haven't played with it yet you could still do a referral

here's my referral link if you need one:
https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/Tip/

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Tip posted:

yeah, now you must actually use the referral before setting up your quest

so, if you haven't played with it yet you could still do a referral

here's my referral link if you need one:

Thanks, but I've already set it up and installed crap on it so I guess I'm out of luck.

Haven't had any issues with having a high IPD (71) so far, although wearing my glasses instead of contacts kind of sucks. Looked at getting the prescription inserts and they cost more than my last set of glasses ($100+). Gonna hold off on ordering them for a while.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Here's a code for 60% Zero Caliber for Quest: UDh1nLjBnWXxz3

And since I suck at card games, here’s a code for Skyworld Kingdom Brawl (Quest) for any of you Magic The Gathering OG’s: ACQRM-KY3WK-N37P9-HNFXX-FRNGH

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 11, 2022

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So how is the referral code supposed to work? I did a factory reset and tried to register using the code, but it said "This facebook account has already registered a quest 2"

How are people getting multiple codes?

Edit: and the answer was on this very page

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 11, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So I replaced the gasket on my G2 with a replacement pad from an Odyssey and some Velcro.

Only to discover the gasket had a removable spacer already :negative:

The drat pad took a month to show up and isn't all that great. Better material than the standard fabric one that was a sweat sponge.

Gonna test it a bunch and see if it was worth it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Stormangel posted:

Yep, that was us. Sorry that it did not work out.

I was afraid of responding to them and it getting you banned or something.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Is anyone able to send out referrals from the app? Mine seems borked.

Edit: Never mind, 'Not available in my area', in yet another gently caress You to US Territories.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 11, 2022

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

diremonk posted:

Looked at getting the prescription inserts and they cost more than my last set of glasses ($100+). Gonna hold off on ordering them for a while.

I picked up some magnetic inserts from Etsy about two years ago for my original Quest and they’re still going strong on my Q2. Ended up being half the price of VR Optician after adding in high index lenses and anti-glare.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/710848026/oculus-quest-1-2-magnetic-prescription

I think this is the Etsy shop I used. Click through item details for the link to the Coastal lenses to price it all out.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just had a breakthrough with SteamVR!

I was having trouble trying to save custom bindings for Until You Fall. It was doing that thing I've seen games do sometimes where clicking the "save" button doesn't do anything.

Well, it turns out it was because "turn left" and "turn right" were marked as required, and I'd unbound them, it's just that SteamVR wasn't telling me that's the reason it wouldn't save.

Anyway, I bound them to left and right stick press respectively, and it immediately let me save with no problems.

Also, I recentred my view to face my living room rather than my computer, and I managed to not smack my monitor this time. I got a bit nervous when fighting someone to the side, though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/holonautic/status/1478788573168078852

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Have quest 2 on its way, is the referral thing still ongoing and do you need a facebook account for it or would an old oculus account work?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Oovee posted:

Have quest 2 on its way, is the referral thing still ongoing and do you need a facebook account for it or would an old oculus account work?

I think you can still use an old Oculus account without linking it to your Facebook, but I'm not sure if you can use that account for the referral or not

I guess only one way to find out

I suggest using a referral link right away so you're good to go when the headset arrives and you don't accidentally activate it without doing the referral

if you're in the US you could use my link:

if you're outside the US someone in the thread can probably help you, or you can go look at the oculus quest reddit, I think they still have a referrals thread going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

Tip posted:

I think you can still use an old Oculus account without linking it to your Facebook, but I'm not sure if you can use that account for the referral or not

I guess only one way to find out

I suggest using a referral link right away so you're good to go when the headset arrives and you don't accidentally activate it without doing the referral

if you're in the US you could use my link:

if you're outside the US someone in the thread can probably help you, or you can go look at the oculus quest reddit, I think they still have a referrals thread going.

ah, I'm EU.