Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Serious news voice: UK used to mean “United Kingdom”, but ask anyone today and they'll tell you it stands for “Unbelievable Kovidwave”

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

He really is absolutely pathetic

Mebh
May 10, 2010

TACD posted:

Yea I don’t know how it is for anybody else but my GP’s online access portal (which I realise is a rare luxury in itself) hasn’t had any availability even for phone appointments for several months now.

It's been like this for two years here. I have two phones with auto diallers on and it still takes 50m to get through as the on hold queue is a max of 5... By the time you do get through there's usually no appointments as they only do same day stuff.

They had to disable online bookings early in the pandemic because cunts booked them all immediately and there was a 70 percent no show rate. Absolutely shocking.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Boris is being kept around to carry the Covid can. The Tories bring in a new person who is clean to win an election and then be jettisoned mid parliament for the next stuffed suit (just like the last two times).

There is no Tory leadership anymore, just rats in a barrel fighting over scraps.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Hes the kind of guy I'd like to have a pint with, illegally.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Regarding health, over xmas in france my toddler niece was ill so was taken to the local hospital but they wanted her at the bigger hospital in the next town with a proper paediatric ward. Brother just got the €111 bill for the private ambulance they (the hospital) insisted on sending her in. Can't wait for this to happen here.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

A big problem GP has is poor ratios of doctor to general public. Compared to other European countries we lag massively.

The other huge problem is the British public. Constant appointments for loving nothing coupled with a legal system that encourages defensive practice leads to a lot of bad medicine.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

... I am scared to try and change it in case Three get my accounts in a complete mess which wouldn't surprise me, UK customer services being what they are these days.

Yeah don't risk it unless you want to spend a lot of time getting them to fix whatever they cock up. My monthly cost went from £8 to £16, called them up to get a better deal... then their next letter informed me my bill was now £24 a month. Fixed, eventually (£9 a month for 50% more data) but quite a pain.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

BalloonFish posted:

Not just a profit-sharing scheme - the John Lewis Partnership is fully employee-owned so as well as an annual dividend there's an amount of internal democracy, since the workers are also the shareholders. They have a series of holiday centres around the UK which partners can stay at for ridiculously cheap prices, and include some of the farms that provide their produce in the partnership.

IIRC there's been some ladder-pulling in recent years, with JLP partners who have enjoyed decades of mutual benefits voting to either decrease benefits for newer members or to make increasing use of agency and temp workers who are therefore not partners and don't get the benefits while protecting the partners' dividend.

Not quite. JLP is owned by a trust. The trust was set up to protect the partners (All staff are partners). They are not direct shareholders. There are shares, which are owned mostly by the surviving family of Spedan Lewis (See: Patrick Lewis, who recently left the Partnership last year but still has his shares). JLP have an awful habit of pushing the "We're all co-owners and have a say!" line but when pressed have admitted the trust ownership (but honestly you could say the co-ownership is there in a very roundabout way). As for the democratic side of running the business, its done through Forum/Partner Voice/Council. Partner's get to vote on a representative for their department and that rep goes on to Forum/Council. That's where the voting happens. The majority of reps are low/middle management hunting promotion.

The annual bonus from profits is certainly true and is paid out in the March pay-slip. Its been held back once or twice when business hasn't been great, but that's quite rare and IIRC there was still a bonus last year but quite small, around 1 or 2% of a Partner's annual wage. The highest I knew it when I was there was 18% and the highest ever was around 25% (Only happened once I think). Oh yeah and the holiday homes, those are cool.

The reliance and abuse of juggling temp worker contracts has been going on for a long time. Like clockwork, take on a few Christmas temps, then the ones they like would get extensions to their temp contract. This would go on and on until the temp realised "Hey I've been here for over a year now... shouldn't I be on a permanent contract?" There's been a slow creep of relying on product reps from suppliers to supplement shop-floor staff, which is something Partners have expressed a worry about for years, and the behaviour of said reps described by Bobby Deluxe doesn't surprise me.

TL:DR - Not quite owned by the staff. Not the best place in the world to work but for retail work eh, could be worse.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

you get a 2 year warranty on stuff you dont elsewhere

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

winegums posted:

A big problem GP has is poor ratios of doctor to general public. Compared to other European countries we lag massively.

The other huge problem is the British public. Constant appointments for loving nothing coupled with a legal system that encourages defensive practice leads to a lot of bad medicine.

The old silver surfers group I ran was just full of people whose hobby was their health, and it's this country wide boomer thing that's completely loving up the system.

Just dickheads who (in the before times) showed up at the doctors doors opening every day, not because they have an appointment but because they want to book an appointment and screech excuses about how they can never get though on the phone (in the before times it would take you 10 mins at 8 am) but in reality it's because it gives them something to do and another excuse as to why they don't have to give up driving because THE BUS PASSES DUNT STURT TILL 9:30 AND AH NEED TO SEE ME DOCTOR ITS IMPORTANT AND AHM NOT TELLING HER ON PHONE WHAT ME PROBLEM IS (a small rash caused by a new jumper/other insignificant thing)

The venn diagram between these people and not taking self inflicted genuine illnesses seriously is a perfect circle, and that's not me being mean about diabetes or emphysema and the like, but loving hell I've seen some crazy excuses from people over the years. Like they won't do me hernia operation because that bitch has the scales set 20lb too high (same scales used by small kiddies) and the doctor won't believe I've lost weight when I've gone down 3 trouser sizes (worked out how to use belt and braces to sling trousers under belly) and that's before we get to prescribed tablets that stop fat being absorbed guy who used it as an excuse to eat more burgers to the horror of all around him.

edit: I'd tell you what some of these people tried to do to see doctors during lockdown but there are health workers here and It might drive them to kill.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 10, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Maybe the nhs should get you and your reasonable opinions triaging the nation's doctor's surgeries. Get it all sorted.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

smellmycheese posted:

He really is absolutely pathetic

I wonder if part of it is that Labour can't afford to fight a general election.

Edit: Because he's run them into the ground.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

winegums posted:

It's not helped by GPs being drained away to supervise vaccinations or simply quitting after a year of COVID burnout. In spite of everything, doctors (especially older ones from the bad old days) are well paid and many keep slaving away into their 60s and 70s out of dedication rather than any need for money.

So some of these smaller GPs end up with one green GP flailing around out of their depth husbanding a flock of nurses and paramedics conscripted into playing doctor. This leaves you with half-baked medical opinions and no one to do the equally important nursing or paramedic-ing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

learnincurve posted:

The venn diagram between these people and not taking self inflicted genuine illnesses seriously is a perfect circle,

Oh no

Oh no

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Lately they've started using the service where GPs can bounce people back to the pharmacy if they think we can triage it better. But almost everyone they send us actually does need to see a doctor. Sometimes they even write in the bit for 'reason', something that makes that obvious, like 'tonsillitis, white spots on tonsils' or 'conjunctivitis' for a tiny baby. Those things are GP only! So it just adds a few hours to the patient's turnaround time, because we need to see the email and then respond, and most often we're just telling them to go ahead and call the doctor again anyway. It's not like we can make them a special appointment if it turns out they really, really do need to see a GP after all. We just tell them to try again.

I am half an inch from burnout, friends. Today I sat on the stairs at work and cried for fifteen minutes. I'm so tired.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

HopperUK posted:

I am half an inch from burnout, friends. Today I sat on the stairs at work and cried for fifteen minutes. I'm so tired.

I'm sorry, this sounds like a horrible situation :smith:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Thank god we've brexitted and your allowed to use imperial measurements again.

I can go and piss off a mod somewhere and get probated if it would help cheer you up?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Not quite. JLP is owned by a trust. The trust was set up to protect the partners (All staff are partners). They are not direct shareholders. There are shares, which are owned mostly by the surviving family of Spedan Lewis (See: Patrick Lewis, who recently left the Partnership last year but still has his shares). JLP have an awful habit of pushing the "We're all co-owners and have a say!" line but when pressed have admitted the trust ownership (but honestly you could say the co-ownership is there in a very roundabout way). As for the democratic side of running the business, its done through Forum/Partner Voice/Council. Partner's get to vote on a representative for their department and that rep goes on to Forum/Council. That's where the voting happens. The majority of reps are low/middle management hunting promotion.

The annual bonus from profits is certainly true and is paid out in the March pay-slip. Its been held back once or twice when business hasn't been great, but that's quite rare and IIRC there was still a bonus last year but quite small, around 1 or 2% of a Partner's annual wage. The highest I knew it when I was there was 18% and the highest ever was around 25% (Only happened once I think). Oh yeah and the holiday homes, those are cool.

The reliance and abuse of juggling temp worker contracts has been going on for a long time. Like clockwork, take on a few Christmas temps, then the ones they like would get extensions to their temp contract. This would go on and on until the temp realised "Hey I've been here for over a year now... shouldn't I be on a permanent contract?" There's been a slow creep of relying on product reps from suppliers to supplement shop-floor staff, which is something Partners have expressed a worry about for years, and the behaviour of said reps described by Bobby Deluxe doesn't surprise me.

TL:DR - Not quite owned by the staff. Not the best place in the world to work but for retail work eh, could be worse.

Thanks for the correction :tipshat:

Honestly, one of the problems with being a professional bullshitter journalist is that my default posting style is "plausible and authoritative-sounding paragraphs based on stuff that I've picked up somewhere but I think is relevant to the conversation."

HopperUK posted:

I'm very sorry to hear things have reached that point for you :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks chums. I'll get some sleep tonight, things will probably look better tomorrow. And if not I can always start my Chaos Plan which is to get super bad at my job and blame it on my disabilities to see what they do.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Thank god we've brexitted and your allowed to use imperial measurements again.

I can go and piss off a mod somewhere and get probated if it would help cheer you up?

Awww thanks mate <3

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mebh posted:

It's been like this for two years here. I have two phones with auto diallers on and it still takes 50m to get through as the on hold queue is a max of 5... By the time you do get through there's usually no appointments as they only do same day stuff.

They had to disable online bookings early in the pandemic because cunts booked them all immediately and there was a 70 percent no show rate. Absolutely shocking.
See, if this is such a common experience everywhere then I don't understand why healthcare workers are constantly quoted as saying the health service is "near collapse" or "on the brink of failure"… it's clearly already functionally collapsed for the majority of normal care, and it annoys me that so many people apparently don't realise that describing something as "near" failure just comes across to Tories as "operating near peak efficiency, maybe push it a little more".

Anyway, I'll carry on self-diagnosing all my medical problems and ordering myself medication online from whatever sources I can find, I expect this will have no long-term ramifications for my health whatsoever :waycool:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

The I fell over while out poaching and decided to treat the resulting gunshot wounds myself in case A&E told the police and I lost my licence guy approves of your post.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Cool wet grass

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sending internet hugs to you, hopper, which are probably more pleasant than in person hugs especially at the moment.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Sending internet hugs to you, hopper, which are probably more pleasant than in person hugs especially at the moment.

Also more pleasant than internet thugs, which are in turn more pleasant than in person thugs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thanks pugs. Thugs.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thank you friends. Sometimes it's nice to have a bit of a vent. You are comrades.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Two things that would help the NHS are more GP funding so that people aren't putting off minor complaints until they reach the A&E stage, and more social care funding so that people can be discharged safely. It's no good hiring the army to drive ambulances (on their day off from driving HGVs?) when the bottleneck is with admission into A&E.

At least the vaccination programme is slowing down now, which means healthcare staff should be going back to their substantive posts

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lady Demelza posted:

Two things that would help the NHS are more GP funding so that people aren't putting off minor complaints until they reach the A&E stage, and more social care funding so that people can be discharged safely. It's no good hiring the army to drive ambulances (on their day off from driving HGVs?) when the bottleneck is with admission into A&E.

At least the vaccination programme is slowing down now, which means healthcare staff should be going back to their substantive posts

Hire the army to shoot anyone trying to go into A&E, think of the savings.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think back to when they turned up in the car park at asda with a mounted M2 machinegun pointed at the entrance. Apparently as a recruiting gimmick.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/NiSoc6655/status/1480670269266173954?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Centenary of TUC library.

I think you can see this facebook page without an account.

https://www.facebook.com/tuclibrary/posts/7486993241326194

quote:

Trades Union Congress Library Collections

#TUCLibraryCentenary22 – a hundred years ago the TUC Library was founded. We’ll be marking our centenary with a social media focus on some of the rare and unique items in the library, and attempting to draw attention to the less known collections. " Any help in pushing this is appreciated.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I really want Corbyn to form a party and for it to actually succeed by him putting some angry firebrand in charge and then by this time next year labour to be properly and fully in the bin.

Pipe dreams are good. Squirrel smasher and Lembit Opik making a comeback and steamrolling the tories by 300 seats is about as likely, but i enjoy a bit of fantasy.

Realistically what IS the best possible outcome? Unions drop support for the plp? It feels like whatever happens labour will cling on harder than barnacles even if its just kier and wes left hugging flags in a phone both.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Kieth and Wes in a phone box hugging flags while Luke Akehurst (the One Member with One Vote) blogs about how at least 50% of the PLP are secret trots and need to be driven out in order for Labour to win again.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Re: new left-wing party chat, I'd take the example of right-wing politics to explain how it could be super-successful. On the right, the mere existence of first Ukip, then the Reform party with hard Brexit views and a genuine chunk of voter support meant that if the Tories wanted to attract those voters back, they had no choice but to offer a hard-right Brexit to them and it worked: the pressure to the right of the Tories forced them rightwards.

In the same way, a new national left-wing party, with union backing and substantial support among the electorate wouldn't actually need to win a General Election: the mere fact of its existence would force Labour into making significant concessions to the left if it wanted to preserve its own voting bloc. Nigel Farage has never had any significant electoral success in the Uk but is arguably one of the most successful politicians of the 21st century because he pressured the Tory government into doing exactly what he wanted, even without any material Ukip presence in Parliament.The first goal of a new socialist party would be to apply the same pressure from the left and I think that's the strategy that we need to be looking at in the medium term.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Pistol_Pete posted:

Re: new left-wing party chat, I'd take the example of right-wing politics to explain how it could be super-successful. On the right, the mere existence of first Ukip, then the Reform party with hard Brexit views and a genuine chunk of voter support meant that if the Tories wanted to attract those voters back, they had no choice but to offer a hard-right Brexit to them and it worked: the pressure to the right of the Tories forced them rightwards.

In the same way, a new national left-wing party, with union backing and substantial support among the electorate wouldn't actually need to win a General Election: the mere fact of its existence would force Labour into making significant concessions to the left if it wanted to preserve its own voting bloc. Nigel Farage has never had any significant electoral success in the Uk but is arguably one of the most successful politicians of the 21st century because he pressured the Tory government into doing exactly what he wanted, even without any material Ukip presence in Parliament.The first goal of a new socialist party would be to apply the same pressure from the left and I think that's the strategy that we need to be looking at in the medium term.

This this this, 1000000%.

I hate Nigel Garage with every fiber of my being. But there is no denying that he has been one of the most successful voices in British politics in my lifetime. He's like the opposite of this amazing lesson: https://youtu.be/t4A-Ml8YHyM. It is possible to do everything wrong, and still win. His party lost but his principles won, and surely that's much more important for the left.

The problem with Labour is what many people think is its strength, and that is its history. Garage could operate completely independently as leader of UKIP, and because he was newsworthy and controversial his voice got massively amplified. If he had been the leader of the Tories, he would have had to constantly bow and scrape and kowtow to the party elders and would have been just another Tory. Ditto with Corbyn. He was a firebrand being forced to act like Keith. If he had his own party, he could drive the national discourse in a much stronger way than he ever could within the confines of Labour. If he cuts the Gordian knot instead of trying to untangle it, we may have a real chance.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

Unfortunately though the far-right projects were pandering to a voter base who had been coddled and courted by every party since 1979, and so react with frothing rage the moment things don't go exactly as they've been promised they'll go, and were supported by huge thermals of coverage from a press that broadly agreed with them. A new left-wing party has to engage an electorate deliberately ignored and beaten down for that time, who see no point in voting at all, and will face a degree of press hostility that will make what Corbyn, Abbott et. al. went through look tame.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
File under "normal island"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59946622

quote:

One of Britain's largest energy suppliers has apologised after it advised customers they could cuddle pets and eat porridge to stay warm.

Ovo Energy said it was "embarrassed" after a link to a blog "containing energy-saving tips" was sent to its SSE customers, a brand which it owns.

On a now-deleted SSE webpage, which offered tips on "keeping warm in winter without turning up the heating", SSE suggested "10 simple and cost-effective ways" to stay warm and keep bills down.

The advice included wearing extra layers and to keep moving by "cleaning the house, challenging the kids to a hula-hoop contest, or doing a few star jumps".

Alongside stopping draughts, SSE said people could find "extra heat" by leaving your oven open after you've finished cooking and by having "a cuddle with your pets and loved ones to help stay cosy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The pets part is right tho