Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dienes posted:

Wasn't there a time when they were only having contestants from a small relatively local area beccause they weren't flying in people from all over the country amid a pandemic?

Yeah, and that probably contributed to last season where, if anything, contestants underperformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That was true for most of 2020, you could tell because they announced people's hometowns but not states

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zesty posted:

Responsible intelligent people are not crossing the country for a game show.

If you think that’s going to stop 99% of people from living out a bucket list dream at this point of the pandemic you’re very mistaken.

Hell if they gave me another chance to go on I would be on the next flight to LA in a foreign country without question.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If Trebeck was still alive I would've chanced it but no way in hell now.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Groovelord Neato posted:

If Trebeck was still alive I would've chanced it but no way in hell now.

:same:

I've been gearing up to try again but then <gestures vaguely at everything>

More time waiting on this dumbass country to stop pretending there isn't a pandemic killing a 9/11 worth of people daily the more time I have to study, I guess. Maybe they'll even sort out the host situation one day.....

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
The US government doesn’t give a poo poo and we’re in the “nothing matters” portion of covid, if you interact face to face with people you’re probably gonna get it. Why not risk it trying to win a ton of money and fulfilling a lifelong dream? You’re prolly gonna get it at the bank anyway

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Spokes posted:

You’re prolly gonna get it at the bank anyway

Who the gently caress physically goes inside of a bank in 2022?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Minor and really pointless question but am I wrong in thinking that Short Hills, NJ is an incredibly obscure answer?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

haveblue posted:

That was true for most of 2020, you could tell because they announced people's hometowns but not states

Yeah, they very conspicuously started announcing contestants as "Originally from [x city, y state]" because they were only bringing in people who lived within driving distance of the Culver City studio.

RoastBeef posted:

Minor and really pointless question but am I wrong in thinking that Short Hills, NJ is an incredibly obscure answer?

Not wrong at all. The clue-writing continues to be abysmal this year and probably won't get any better until they go on summer hiatus and re-tool the show, selecting a permanent host, a permanent executive producer, the whole nine yards.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Timby posted:

Not wrong at all. The clue-writing continues to be abysmal this year and probably won't get any better until they go on summer hiatus and re-tool the show, selecting a permanent host, a permanent executive producer, the whole nine yards.

It's just one of those hyper specific things - I live basically next door; have heard conductors announce "this is station stop Short Hills, Short Hills!" about a thousand times and have spent entirely too much time at the Short Hills Mall (sorry ... The Mall at Short Hills) while I was growing up but I can't Image anyone from farther away than like Manhattan having ever heard of it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

I know they're not going to and it makes me sad but god drat it's incredible how much more watchable the show is when Ken is hosting over Mayim and that's only one of the myriad of issues plaguing this show right now.

I'm like at least 7 or 8 games behind right now because I just cannot be hosed watching it every night when Biyalik is hosting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Ken not the permanent host now? He’s the only one with any charisma at all. Blossom stinks. Maybe if they let her wear that big floppy hat.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is Ken not the permanent host now? He’s the only one with any charisma at all. Blossom stinks. Maybe if they let her wear that big floppy hat.

Mayim is introduced as the "host of Jeopardy"

Ken is introduced as "hosting Jeopardy"

I think she's the actual pick but her other obligations have kept her busy

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, they very blatantly want Bialik as the full-time host but they're waiting for Call Me Kat to get canceled before announcing it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

I've asked this before but can we not refer to one person by their real name and the other by a character they played on TV twenty years ago? I dislike her as much as anyone, but she has a name.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

The host isn’t supposed to be the star of the show, as we all know, but I feel that Ken surpasses Mayim with his smoothness and ability to keep the game flowing almost exactly like Alex did. He just has it down. And in doing so he’s pretty invisible because his approach works great.

I’d love to see a woman host this show but Mayim isn’t the one.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

RoastBeef posted:

Seemed obscure to me. But I also didn't know that there was an official pictorial representation of a "ghoul" either...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

HookShot posted:

I've asked this before but can we not refer to one person by their real name and the other by a character they played on TV twenty years ago? I dislike her as much as anyone, but she has a name.

Just curious: why does this bother so many people?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can see how it could be disrespectful. I won’t do it again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't understand it it's how most of us know her. I never watched Big Bang Theory which is why the powers that be wanted her to be host. I stopped doing it but it is a weird thing to be upset over.

If they tapped Jim Parsons as host most people would be going "why the gently caress did they chose Sheldon?"

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 11, 2022

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

HookShot posted:

I know they're not going to and it makes me sad but god drat it's incredible how much more watchable the show is when Ken is hosting over Mayim and that's only one of the myriad of issues plaguing this show right now.

I'm like at least 7 or 8 games behind right now because I just cannot be hosed watching it every night when Biyalik is hosting.

Remember when Bialik was laughing at someone awkwardly during a daily double for getting it wrong a couple weeks ago?

A few days ago someone bet almost everything they had in an effort to catch up to Amy. He was wrong. Ken reassured him, “but you made the right choice.”

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Because it's often used against women to de-humanize them, referring to them as somebody they are not, when it's not done against men. I'm sure I AM GRANDO didn't mean it that way, especially since (unlike the last time this came up with someone) he didn't double down on how it's totally fine, but it's just one of those things that people don't think about a lot of the time but is almost always used to minimize women. Especially when it's done in the context of "Ken and Blossom", in which the man gets to be identified by his actual name, and the woman gets diminished to a role she played on a TV show twenty years ago.

Mayim Biyalik is a piece of poo poo, but we should still be referring to her by her name when we point that out.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I can see how it could be disrespectful. I won’t do it again.

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Zesty posted:

Remember when Bialik was laughing at someone awkwardly during a daily double for getting it wrong a couple weeks ago?

A few days ago someone bet almost everything they had in an effort to catch up to Amy. He was wrong. Ken reassured him, “but you made the right choice.”
Oh my God SO MUCH THIS. It's horrifying watching her literally laugh at people on that stage, and Ken is so good at that part of things without it coming off as patronizing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Well put, HookShot.

I also appreciate when Ken says, "You had room to make a big wager…" during Final. It's a good way to clue in viewers who aren't as in-tune as we TV/IV loonies without stopping and explaining all the wagering strategies on-screen.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

Because it's often used against women to de-humanize them, referring to them as somebody they are not, when it's not done against men. I'm sure I AM GRANDO didn't mean it that way, especially since (unlike the last time this came up with someone) he didn't double down on how it's totally fine, but it's just one of those things that people don't think about a lot of the time but is almost always used to minimize women. Especially when it's done in the context of "Ken and Blossom", in which the man gets to be identified by his actual name, and the woman gets diminished to a role she played on a TV show twenty years ago.

Mayim Biyalik is a piece of poo poo, but we should still be referring to her by her name when we point that out.

Not that I'm trying to refute you, but having a given name that is difficult to remember the spelling of doesn't help. Everyone can spell "blossom," "Mayim Biyalik" doesn't conform to English spelling well, as even my spell check says her name is misspelled.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Iron Crowned posted:

Not that I'm trying to refute you,

:hmmyes:

:hmmno:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm just trying to say her name is hard to spell if you don't set out to memorize it. :negative:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
No one here had a problem with George Stephanopolous, so they can learn Mayim or Biyalik.

(I'm obviously not talking about instances where autocorrect fucks you over, either. If it ends up coming out Matt Biyalik because iOS screwed you over then oh well, that happens)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I’ve never written his name without googling tbh

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

HookShot posted:

No one here had a problem with George Stephanopolous, so they can learn Mayim or Biyalik.

I agree with your overall point, but I have always had a problem with his last name.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That's actually fair, but nobody in this thread ever referred to him as "GMA Host". Everyone put the effort in to spell out his actual name, so everyone can do the same for Biyalik.

I spent almost an entire day memorizing how to say "Antetokoumpo" when I got mad at that one Jeopardy clue for saying you don't need to say his last name because holy was that particular clue ever rooted in racism and never should have seen the light of day.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm hoping she'll get distracted and move on in a year, so I never have to think about her again :shrug:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Sadly I don't think that's ever going to happen.

I'm personally hoping the focus groups come back and say Ken is infinitely better than Mayim and even Sony execs have to realize she's doing a terrible job, but I'm also well aware that for some reason people love her hosting (people are dumb) and also that isn't going to happen, they're super set on having the victim blaming brain pill hawker who buys vests so the IDF can kill Palestinians be the permanent host of Jeopardy.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

HookShot posted:

That's actually fair, but nobody in this thread ever referred to him as "GMA Host". Everyone put the effort in to spell out his actual name, so everyone can do the same for Biyalik.

I spent almost an entire day memorizing how to say "Antetokoumpo" when I got mad at that one Jeopardy clue for saying you don't need to say his last name because holy was that particular clue ever rooted in racism and never should have seen the light of day.

Did anyone refer to LeVar Burton as Geordie? I don't recall.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

HookShot posted:

That is also totally fair.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I avoid the issue of sexism by simply referring to her as "a dumb fuckin looney"

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also haven't watched an as-it-airs episode of Jeopardy since... Well, the 13th will be the first since Alex's final episode.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I will say that if Jim Parsons was hosting I would absolutely be referring to him as Sheldon

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

christmas boots posted:

I will say that if Jim Parsons was hosting I would absolutely be referring to him as Sheldon

That's very homophobic and misandrist of you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

1glitch0 posted:

That's very homophobic and misandrist of you.

I'm sorry but you need to phrase that in the form of a question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

christmas boots posted:

I'm sorry but you need to phrase that in the form of a question

All you need to do is change one letter to a W:

1glitch0 posted:

Twat's very homophobic and misandrist of you.

Wait, gently caress