Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/AP_Images/status/1480582252044197895

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

all my APs gone

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

double negative posted:

all my APs gone

lmao

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

double negative posted:

all my APs gone

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

double negative posted:

all my APs gone

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

double negative posted:

all my APs gone

new thread title

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

double negative posted:

all my APs gone

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

double negative posted:

all my APs gone

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

double negative posted:

all my APs gone

lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

double negative posted:

all my APs gone

lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i still don't understand

is an nft just a jpeg that you pay for?

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Lib and let die posted:

i still don't understand

it's an expensive receipt for something you don't physically own

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pepperoneedy posted:

it's an expensive receipt for something you don't physically own

...why

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Someone is going to buy one of these NFTs, publish the photo, and then get their pants sued off by the AP for publishing the photo without rights.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

i still don't understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrbDWq64BNg

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

what cryptonerds say: it's making a symbolic point about ownership in the digital age and how authenticity, provenance, and ownership can be conveyed by the blockchain

in reality: it props up specious crypto ventures since they are based on some currency

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

its getting harder and harder to turn cryptocurrency into real money thanks to anti money laundering laws so this is a new way to transform the fake money into something you can sell for real money

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

duz posted:

its getting harder and harder to turn cryptocurrency into real money thanks to anti money laundering laws so this is a new way to transform the fake money into something you can sell for real money

so you make an nft, buy it with your bitcoins and then sell it to someone for real money?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Speculation (greed).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Doctor Jeep posted:

so you make an nft, buy it with your bitcoins and then sell it to someone for real money?

Rather you fake selling it for an arbitrary large amount of money and hope a sucker will buy it or another nft

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Doctor Jeep posted:

You can also pass it around between you and your friends, creating a history of consistently rising prices that you then use to trick other people into buying this completely worthless receipt. You can probably throw money laundering into the mix and double down, scamming and laundering at the same time.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Lib and let die posted:

i still don't understand

yes but also you don't own the jpeg

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

what the hell ever happened to laundering money through bars, barber shops, and laundromats?

say what you will about us wops, but we did it with class.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol imagining a Sopranos storyline involving NFTs.

Christopher has to explain to Tony that someone stole their apes. Silvio hatches a plot to steal some monkeys from a private zoo

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol imagining a Sopranos storyline involving NFTs.

Christopher has to explain to Tony that someone stole their apes. Silvio hatches a plot to steal some monkeys from a private zoo

Word on the street is that someones that may or may not look like yous twos may or may not have a receipt for a jpeg that you may or may not own, capice?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

i still don't understand

it's stupider than that

it's a url to a picture and that picture can be trivially changed or unavailable by the web server

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/avierkant/status/1480905889536262151
An omicron'd Maggie Haberman jumps into the replies to say that NYT is just quoting doctors so they are completely blameless for publishing the word mild 2,487 times per day

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
robert patrick's demented gambling addict except

well you probably wouldn't have to change very much would you

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
you know bit.ly? nft are the same thing but with beanie baby mania

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Zvahl posted:

robert patrick's demented gambling addict except

well you probably wouldn't have to change very much would you

at the end of the whole storyline, Silvio prints the ape out and has Tony's face painted on it and hangs it on his wall

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Any doctors goto jail for prescribing herion to us yet?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The one thing that I just can't wrap my head around is the apes, why the gently caress it is singer garbage 2000s looking avatar creator poo poo? Why is that the face of this obvious money laundering scheme?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

make sure you’ve packed your pannies, folks

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

mawarannahr posted:

make sure you’ve packed your pannies, folks

what

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DLoesch/status/781156872?s=20

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

KomradeX posted:

The one thing that I just can't wrap my head around is the apes, why the gently caress it is singer garbage 2000s looking avatar creator poo poo? Why is that the face of this obvious money laundering scheme?

Because memes.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

KomradeX posted:

Isn't it meta? We are JUST APES. GET IT?!!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I can't think about the apes without remembering the "*beck voice* in the time of nfts they stole my monkey" tweet.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"Chris, you're in the Bored Ape Yacht Club!"

christmas boots posted:

I can't think about the apes without remembering the "*beck voice* in the time of nfts they stole my monkey" tweet.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

KomradeX posted:

it’s a scam so they’re not gonna put effort and time into making them look good. The marks aren’t going to care either way; if they cared they wouldn’t be marks

And if they’re all randomly generated there’s a certain brand of mark that’s going to think that makes them even better