Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
She's so militant anti-child that she got "devastated" when her friend got pregnant.

Her entire identity is based on her hating kids. She's just in denial about it.

Edit re: complications

"Oh, yeah, the doctor told me tha-"

"YOU SHOULD HAVE ABORTED I TOLD YOU BABIES ARE LITERALLY SATAN"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
OP apparently made an abortion joke, along the lines of 'oh god i'd go get it aborted right away!' (paraphrasing)

I also don't trust people who go to the friend group try and litigate this poo poo in the court of public opinion, so gently caress OP there as well. She wasn't just venting or asking for 'opinions', she was looking for backup to bully her friend.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

StrangersInTheNight posted:

OP apparently made an abortion joke, along the lines of 'oh god i'd go get it aborted right away!' (paraphrasing)

I also don't trust people who go to the friend group try and litigate this poo poo in the court of public opinion, so gently caress OP there as well. She wasn't just venting or asking for 'opinions', she was looking for backup to bully her friend.

It's much worse than that

quote:

I didn’t outright suggest she kill it. At most I think I was like “Oh no! Really, are you sure? It’s not to late!” which obviously was mostly a joke, and then I just said if it were me I’d already have gotten an abortion and I was glad my doctor knew that if that ever happened to me I’d be getting an abortion right away.

"I'm just kidding. Or am I? I totally am. Unless..."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Barudak posted:

Like Im happy for the two of them but thats some lovely behavior to a friend being nice.

Sounds like Hailee has self-confidence issues and was struggling with her sexuality, as teenagers (it sure sounds like teenagers, or maybe young college students) are wont to do. OP prodded her at a delicate moment, she lashed out, and everything's back to normal once she sorted her poo poo out.

It's lovely, but it's kind of understandable and it sounds like neither of them are holding it against each other.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Sounds like Hailee has self-confidence issues and was struggling with her sexuality, as teenagers (it sure sounds like teenagers, or maybe young college students) are wont to do. OP prodded her at a delicate moment, she lashed out, and everything's back to normal once she sorted her poo poo out.

It's lovely, but it's kind of understandable and it sounds like neither of them are holding it against each other.

yeah they sound very young, I know I wouldn't be pissed off by her reaction and neither is OP

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Variable 5 posted:

She's so militant anti-child that she got "devastated" when her friend got pregnant.

Her entire identity is based on her hating kids. She's just in denial about it.

Edit re: complications

"Oh, yeah, the doctor told me tha-"

"YOU SHOULD HAVE ABORTED I TOLD YOU BABIES ARE LITERALLY SATAN"

yeah this is what boggles my mind. i don't want kids because that entire endeavor is not something i feel drawn too or suited for. Sure id be a good dad cause I'm not a monster, but its not what i want from life. I'm excited to be an uncle to future neices/nephews and "uncle" to my friends kids.

Yeah i don't like being around crying/whining kids for too long either, that's part of my whole deal, but just lmao at this broke brained poo poo

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

When my ex was about 3 months pregnant with our son, we were having lunch with a friend of ours, who made a "joke" about maybe the baby would die in the womb and we could all get drunk again, like we used to. The joke was so funny we didn't speak to her for about 5 years! Haha!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I think I had them mentally pegged as a bit older like, early twenties, but either way I'd still want an apology or at least some admission of the snap back being uncalled for.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah they sound very young, I know I wouldn't be pissed off by her reaction and neither is OP

If they are out of high school I would be shocked

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The real question is how lovely were the dates this girl has been having been that dinner and a movie was life changing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ethiser posted:

The real question is how lovely were the dates this girl has been having been that dinner and a movie was life changing.

I dunno, a guy could take me to dinner and a movie and I still wouldn't wanna gently caress them. Prolly works the same way for lesbians

or if she's bi maybe they did all just suck rear end lol

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Ethiser posted:

I went on a first date with a woman who was super impressed that I didn't balk at buying her a frozen yogurt. I guess she had met up with a lot of broke fucks previously.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ethiser posted:

If they're highschool boys your lucky to get dinner.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Ethiser posted:

I don't think you appreciate how low the bar is for dating these days

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my friends that their pretend date sounds like lot like a real one?

Update: AITA for telling my friends that their pretend date sounds like a lot like a real one?

I thought this was cute :3:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hey babe, my idea for a date is I pick you up in the family car, drive to a quiet spot and we gently caress. Dinner? No thanks, I ate already

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's similar to the difference between "I play video games" and "I'm a gamer"

"I'm not having kids" is just fine. Avoid "I'm child-free"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dinner? In this economy?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Cream's "I'm Child-Free" never made it to the top of the charts, and for good reason!

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

"militantly" child free at that.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hey u wanna Samsung Live TV Plus and chill?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like she's gone from "I'm child-free" to "reincarnation of King Herod"'

hawowanlawow posted:

hey u wanna Samsung Live TV Plus Pluto TV and chill?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for disrespecting my future MIL after she gave us advice?

Protip: If you need couples therapy in the first couple of years of a relationship and before you're actually married, you're probably not gonna make it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
She's also someone that just refuses to grow the gently caress up. Like, I'm sure they made jokes about abortion and "just getting rid of it" when they were younger and single and having fun. But to not see a difference between that and telling her pregnant and happy friend "You know, there's still plenty of time to get rid of it but I'm totally kidding if you get upset" means she'll end up the lonely miserable old woman that throws a fit every time she hears children laughing at the park.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hey wanna come over, play some madden. Nah I don't have a car, ask your mom.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Ouhei posted:

Protip: If you need couples therapy in the first couple of years of a relationship and before you're actually married, you're probably not gonna make it.

I actually disagree. I've heard arguments that it's good to get couples therapy when you're getting serious so you can have someone neutral help you defuse any time bombs or communication missteps that may occur. Therapy doesn't necessarily have to be reactive imo

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

"I could never have children, having to raise them would take too much time away from my hobby."

"Oh, what's your hobby?"

"Hating children."

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

She's also someone that just refuses to grow the gently caress up. Like, I'm sure they made jokes about abortion and "just getting rid of it" when they were younger and single and having fun. But to not see a difference between that and telling her pregnant and happy friend "You know, there's still plenty of time to get rid of it but I'm totally kidding if you get upset" means she'll end up the lonely miserable old woman that throws a fit every time she hears children laughing at the park.

Friend of mine swore he'd never get married, then got married. He then swore he'd never have kids. He now has two adorable little girls and apparently took cake decorating courses or something because he now bakes and decorates super elaborate multi-tier princess castle-style birthday cakes :3:

If you're the same person in your 30s/40s as you were in your teens/20s, something has gone wrong somewhere.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I actually disagree. I've heard arguments that it's good to get couples therapy when you're getting serious so you can have someone neutral help you defuse any time bombs or communication missteps that may occur. Therapy doesn't necessarily have to be reactive imo

Personal bias as I did it in a previous relationship. I could see how it would be not a horrible idea in your scenario though, even I think most healthy couples should be able to navigate any of those logistics without a therapist.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Variable 5 posted:

Friend of mine swore he'd never get married, then got married. He then swore he'd never have kids. He now has two adorable little girls and apparently took cake decorating courses or something because he now bakes and decorates super elaborate multi-tier princess castle-style birthday cakes :3:

If you're the same person in your 30s/40s as you were in your teens/20s, something has gone wrong somewhere.

this is true. i used to be a huge fuckup. i still am as well.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ouhei posted:

Personal bias as I did it in a previous relationship. I could see how it would be not a horrible idea in your scenario though, even I think most healthy couples should be able to navigate any of those logistics without a therapist.

Even healthy couples have things happen to them like illness, loss of employment, deaths of people close to them, etc. That's actually a really lovely thing to say.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for telling my girlfriend she 'ruined' my night by insisting she comes along?

quote:

My girlfriend and I (both 20f) have been dating for a year. My girlfriend-Jane and I have separate friend groups. Jane doesn't get along with my friends, yet insists she is brought along to our nights out/in. It's incredibly uncomfortable because whilst she's also a woman, these get-togethers are no-partners allowed parties. Plus, she doesn't get along with anyone so it's super awkward. I was invited out to one of their parties, and Jane got upset that I'm going without her. I'll be gone from 10am Friday to afternoon on Saturday. She has no issue with both of us going, but without her, it's an issue.

I said I'd leave later and try to get back earlier, but she wouldn't have it either. I ended up bringing her along and it was a nightmare. The mood was brought down and no one really had fun as all my friends seemed to be walking on eggshells around her.

When we got back, she kept gloating about how much fun she had, but I felt the opposite. I said 'well, I'm glad someone had fun.'. She got upset and asked what I meant. I explained that it was a friend night in, and she wasn't invited. She got super upset and pulled some crap about how it's 'toxic' that I want to have a night out without her. She says she's hurt that I 1) didn't want her there and 2) that I said she ruined the night.

I just wanted to spend time with my friends, 1 on 1. AITA?

EDIT: clarification.

I mentioned Jane's gender because usually on posts like these, the no partner rule is because the partners are of opposite sex so it's a 'safe space' for the people to talk (guys night or girls night). I brought up that she's a woman because all my friends have male partners but it's still a no-partner's night despite the gender.

I am female. Jane is female. I am bi. Jane is lesbian.

All my friends are female

the party was a birthday celebration which is why it was over 2 days. They usually aren't that long

quote:

Because if Jane doesn't agree with something, she'll go on an angry rant about it. My friend finally cut her toxic family out of her life, and Jane called her a 'pos' for 'abandoning her family'. One of my friends doesn't drink booze but is fine in its presence (religious reasons) and Jane called her an 'idiot'.

She has something to say about everyone. You don't want your drink super strong? 'loving pussy.'

You're uncomfortable with talking about your sex life and pregnancies in insanely graphic detail? 'Get over yourself, bitch.'

quote:

Yes I do think she tried to deliberately ruin things.

quote:

I love my girlfriend. I'm just sick of her double standard (I'm not allowed to join her on her nights out with her friends).

quote:

I didn't bring her along, she came on her own.

quote:

(After receiving a slew of comments telling her to DTMF) Not yet. I'm going to have a long sit down and talk with her.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I loved hanging out with hardcore Jews. I worked at a hospital as a teenager that was in a very Jewish area so I met a lot of them, and their kids would have a similar job as me but with all sorts of odd restrictions. I remember one of my friends mentioned that he had his computer and stereo set up on a timer so he could listen to music on The Holy Day (Shabbos?) without touching any electronics. Another guy told me about how his dad was running fishing line all around his cul de sac to create a special enclosure in which Things Would Be Allowed.
There's a line (eruv) encircling most of Manhattan! Maintaining it is a community project at this point.

Gerblyn posted:

:guillotine: the family, liquidate thier assets and give them to the girlfriend.
It sounds like this family is a bunch of rich douchebags, but being blunt with the girlfriend is probably the least lovely thing they've done all year.

Tarkus posted:

I went on a first date with a woman who was super impressed that I didn't balk at buying her a frozen yogurt. I guess she had met up with a lot of broke fucks previously.
It's not about money. Buying froyo is even gayer than washing your dick and butthole; no self-respecting straight man would do that.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Halloween Jack posted:

There's a line (eruv) encircling most of Manhattan! Maintaining it is a community project at this point.

It sounds like this family is a bunch of rich douchebags, but being blunt with the girlfriend is probably the least lovely thing they've done all year.

It's not about money. Buying froyo is even gayer than washing your dick and butthole; no self-respecting straight man would do that.

What if I wash my butthole with froyo?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Soylent Pudding posted:

It wraps right back around to being straight.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Did you pay for it? Hold on, I'm calling Rabbi Eliezer to get a ruling on this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Halloween Jack posted:

It's one of the most fun bits of Jewish rules lawyering.

Problem: There are restrictions on what you may move into or out of your home on the Sabbath

Solution: Redefine "home" to cover the entire neighborhood, go hog wild

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruv

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Honestly, this goes for many things. There's obviously a lot of linguistic nuance in this, but "I do/am interested in/try to avoid x" is overall less worrisome than "I am x". The latter kind of suggests it's the main or only aspect of your personality.

Also, I'm an engineer, and I'm interested in homosexuality.

(Note: I'm not an engineer, though it was in my job title a couple of years. Tres gay, though.)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

haveblue posted:

It's one of the most fun bits of Jewish rules lawyering.

Problem: There are restrictions on what you may move into or out of your home on the Sabbath

Solution: Redefine "home" to cover the entire neighborhood, go hog wild

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruv

There was an unfortunate conflict over this in some predominantly non-ultra-orthodox Jewish New York suburb a while back. I think it was covered by The Daily Show back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Literally laughed out loud in a public place just from the title alone

My [32m] girlfriend [31f] asked me to choose what year, I thought she was the most physically attractive. I told her 21.. Now she told me that I am a creep and I am not the guy for her

quote:

My girlfriend and I have been dating for a year and a half we met each other off a dating app. Things have been overall good, but now we have been at a weird place where she has been constantly been bringing up us getting married. And for me, I view it as the next natural step in a long term relationship, but I need to feel like I truly feel ready for that level of commitment. My girlfriend says she agrees with that but then does a lot of like subtley manipulative stuff to get me to think about marriage and babies.

And we are at a weird spot now where I feel like if I don't see something on the exact same thing with her, she puts distance between us. Like for example, I asked her if she could try to make a recipe for me but with my mom's style cooking and she is like oh thats a wife level request. And that I am asking for too much.

Now comes the situation at hand. My girlfriend was showing me her Facebook ( I have seen this before) and she asks me what year did she look the best. I was like those years are ahead of us. And she is like no like be objective, which year did I look the hottest. For me, I chose a pic of her when she was in college and was 21 at that time..

Welp , after that it was tears and anger from her. She starts calling me a creep said that she misjudged my character. And that she doesn't know if she can see herself with me. Im like you asked me to pick a photo. For me, I wasn't trying to be hurtful like, I prefer my girlfriend now with the personality and all she has today. But she asked me just about pure looks.

What do I do now here? I feel like my girlfriend in general has been doing these probing type behaviors, and I see this more as a continued pattern than this individual event. What should I do here? Also how can I assure her that I love her how she is now?

Tl;Dr - girlfriend asked me to pick a year on which she looked the best I chose a pic of when she was 21