Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

So infant pits are okay??

Let’s open this pit up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

teen witch posted:

yes

E: ball piercings

thank god I’m in the clear then

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

teen witch posted:

yes

E: ball piercings

Thank you for making me audibly wince.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
What the hell kind of supermarket security responds to a call of "help a pre-teen swore at me!".

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Grape posted:

What the hell kind of supermarket security responds to a call of "help a pre-teen swore at me!".

I IMAGINE they just went to see why this lady was screaming her head off and it went from there.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for wanting my employee to stop talking about her dead husband?

quote:

I (22F) am a supervisor at a corporate home improvement store. I am over the entire front end including approximately 30 cashiers ages ranging from 16-70. I have one employee who we will call Annie, she is i think in her mid 60’s. Annie had a husband who has been battling cancer for as long as most can remember, ive only been with the company for about a year and many people have talked about how her husband kept going through chemo and dialysis and all sorts of treatments to keep him going.

Everyone in the store has been very supportive of her and we even had a bake sale to raise money for her family as she was out of work a lot due to his illness. The past 6 months though he has rapidly declined in health and it became all Annie would talk about, another coworker even confided in me by saying they were tired of hearing Annie talk about her husband because it was depressing and they just didnt know what to say to her anymore. several other coworkers have said she shouldve let him go a while ago instead of dragging out his pain. Christmas day of 2021 Annie’s husband finally passed away and understandably she was out for about a week before returning to work. once again we were all very supportive because even though it was expected for him to pass its still sad to lose your husband to cancer.

Annie struggled with grieving and would tell us about her memories with her husband and talk about how much she missed him. she would show us this ring that he got her for their 30th wedding anniversary that was engraved and all, it was pretty and we allowed her to grieve as she wished. Until she told us about the ring for the 4th time, until she kept reminding us that he died on christmas, we were all supportive until she would go out of her way to walk over to us and tell us how depressed she is now that hes dead. ive tried my best to be a supportive boss and obviously i dont understand her pain because im so young but at what point does it stop? other cashiers dont even want to be on a register near her because they dont want to be bummed out by her grieving. its gotten to the point where i cant give simple directions to Annie without her bringing up her dead husband and ive started just tuning it out. am i the rear end in a top hat for wanting Annie to take a LOA and stop talking about her dead husband at work?
(added paragraph breaks)

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 13, 2022

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Nothing like taking an unpaid LOA after spending your retirement savings on your dead spouse

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"some people raised money for her because she had to take time off work. anyway what can i, her boss, do to shut her up?"

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
"He's been dead almost THREE WEEKS now, why isn't she over it yet?!"

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

ilmucche posted:

So infant pits are okay??

Worse than kitten pits, better than snake pits, imo

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Halloween Jack posted:

There's a line (eruv) encircling most of Manhattan! Maintaining it is a community project at this point.

So hear me out: we get a Rabbi to declare a small Möbius strip an Eruv...

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Breetai posted:

So hear me out: we get a Rabbi to declare a small Möbius strip an Eruv...

Construct a spherical one, then do the thing in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI-To1eUtuU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

wheatpuppy posted:

"He's been dead almost THREE WEEKS now, why isn't she over it yet?!"

Counterpoint that 100% makes me an rear end in a top hat: these people are not her therapist. In a retail environment her coworkers have been saints to do what they've done. She should not be dumping this on people who are also likely barely keeping it together. That's what therapy is for.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"Why not give the grieving pensioner some paid time off?"
*stares back confusedly in Capitalism*

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Counterpoint that 100% makes me an rear end in a top hat: these people are not her therapist. In a retail environment her coworkers have been saints to do what they've done. She should not be dumping this on people who are also likely barely keeping it together. That's what therapy is for.

I'm a rear end also. We have to take into account that the coworkers were subjected to years of bad news about the now-deceased husband and were now hoping for an end to it instead
of becoming grief counselors for the next months or years.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think the handbook says to pull her aside and tell her she needs to be cheerful for her customers and coworkers and if she does that it will also make her feel better

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The manager will pass the buck upwards and the grieving widow will probably end up beibg fired.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for wanting my employee to stop talking about her dead husband?

I (22F) am a supervisor at a corporate home improvement store. I am over the entire front end including approximately 30 cashiers ages ranging from 16-70.

ive only been with the company for about a year

Is this weird to anybody else?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

America is a hellscape and you have to work to get health insurance

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you mean because she's a manager after a year? or just the ages? from what I can tell you just have to want to be a manager and they will know you're fool enough to be taken advantage of

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

sephiRoth IRA posted:

In no world are you the rear end in a top hat; this is the correct opinion to have. They should not be expected to martyr themselves indefinitely for the $11.50 Home Depot pays. Also this is not part of their job. In a perfect world, the government would provide grief counseling to people like this and 60+ year old people would not have to work minimum wage jobs to sustain themselves like in Scandinavian countries, but neither of those things are the coworkers' fault.

limp_cheese posted:

What part are you asking about? As mentioned, our old people can never stop working if they want to avoid living on the street. If you're asking about OP's age, she is probably like a shift manager of the other cashiers and does not have the authority to fire the employee on her own initiative. Like when you see a half dozen people working at a fast food restaurant, one of those people may be the supervisor and thus making an extra $2 an hour, but they probably do not have much actual authority to do things like hire/fire.

hawowanlawow posted:

you mean because she's a manager after a year? or just the ages? from what I can tell you just have to want to be a manager and they will know you're fool enough to be taken advantage of

Yeah pretty much this. It's like being an RA: it attracts a certain type, and is not worth the slight bump in pay.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not letting my friends husband order for the table and calling him a control freak?

quote:

My friends husband is your "typical oldschool man" who thinks men should order for women at restaurants and be the one to talk to the servers. It pisses me off to no end and i've told him several times not to do this for me as he has no idea what i'd want and that I think he is overstepping.

My friend meanwhile is rather meek and will just go along with this to avoid a conflict, our friend group was recently out eating and he tried to order for the table wanting everyone to get a steak and even stating they'd be served rare. I told the server to not mark that down and went around asking everyone specifically what they wanted off of the menu before plainly telling him I would not be eating steak and ordering the crab cakes for myself.

In the end only one person besides my friends husband got the steak and that was my friend. Later on she messaged me saying i'd made things very awkward and I should have just let him order for the table as he is now upset and feeling like I went out of my way to undermine him and embarrass him. I told her that he embarrassed himself by acting like a control freak, this upset my friend and she is not speaking to me currently, was I wrong to do this?

ETA: Quote marks to express sarcasm over calling him oldschool as that's what they call it.

AITA for telling my wife she embarrassed everyone during son's birthday dinner?

quote:

For starters, I just want to say we do have money and don't have a need to save money. My wife(42F) currently works as a part-time nurse. I(42M) work in the local police department as a detective. We have two kids, son(12M) and daughter(`13F). My wife has started wanting to save money and it's starting to annoy the kids. An example, we were giving the kids $10 each week for allowance, but my wife decided that $10 was too much and lowered it to $3. I have told her that I think the allowance amount is too low, but she disagrees.

Another example is that she will buy meals to bring to the restaurant to be microwaved. We have gotten looks before and it's always turned down. It results in her making a fuss and will be asked to leave. I have told her that she needs to stop and that when we go out, I am fine with her ordering whatever she wants. I normally pay for the groceries, the bills, and food that we eat out. My wife helps with small payments and will buy our kids cheap clothing. My daughter does have like to wear designer clothing and I normally will buy the clothes and then hear about it from my wife.

My son was turning 12 and he wanted to eat out at his favorite steakhouse. I did ask that my wife not bring any of her meals along to the restaurant. We arrived at the restaurant and sat down at the table. My wife gets up to use the bathroom and we order our drinks. When the drinks arrive, we give the waiter what we want to eat and my wife orders a small salad. The waiter comes back over with a meal and says Ma'am, we can't warm this up for you. I see my son and daughter both look embarrassed, and I apologize to the waiter. My wife spends the rest of the dinner staying silent and wouldn't touch the salad she ordered.

When the evening was over and we got home, my wife and I began to argue about the evening. I told her that she was in the wrong for bringing a meal when I asked her not to. She started to argue back that eating out is a waste. I then said well, you embarrassed everyone, including our kids. She asked me to leave the bedroom and I am now staying in the guest bedroom.

who the hell is still eating out during covid

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

limp_cheese posted:

She is a “floor supervisor” at Home Depot or whatever. It means she has a key so when someone needs to do a return she walks over to the register and swipes it because regular cashiers cannot be trusted to do such an important task.

I was doing it at 19 because the requirement is “work at that job for at least 6 months and don’t get caught stealing”.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I've heard of people centralizing orders for dinner, but what sicko is ordering non family style dishes for everyone at a table without their input? The gently caress?

If you wanna be big man and order all the food you gotta pay for everything and it has to be family style dining.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Mx. posted:

who the hell is still eating out during covid

"I(42M) work in the local police department as a detective."

Completely unrelated: https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/data-shows-covid-19-as-leading-cause-of-death-in-law-enforcement-this-year/2737304/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mx. posted:

Given with near certainty what his response will be I don't want to tell him but she is very probably having an affair.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Barudak posted:

Given with near certainty what his response will be I don't want to tell him but she is very probably having an affair.

Allegedly it's this:

quote:

The only thing that could be affecting this is her brother is struggling financially and is in debt.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Barudak posted:

I've heard of people centralizing orders for dinner, but what sicko is ordering non family style dishes for everyone at a table without their input? The gently caress?

If you wanna be big man and order all the food you gotta pay for everything and it has to be family style dining.

Yeah, if someone orders for me, they can bloody well pay for me.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Biplane posted:

When my ex was about 3 months pregnant with our son, we were having lunch with a friend of ours, who made a "joke" about maybe the baby would die in the womb and we could all get drunk again, like we used to. The joke was so funny we didn't speak to her for about 5 years! Haha!

A friend and I had a falling out (we have since made up) and I remember seeing her announce her pregnancy on Facebook, and I was a bit horrified and worried, because she posted it when she was maybe 2 months along, and the women in her family all had had a lot of health issues and problems with conceiving and carrying to term. Not horrified she was pregnant, horrified something bad would happen because she was celebrating so early. It had taken years for her to conceive with IVF and they were barely able to afford the last round.

We got back into contact when she was later in term, and never once did I mention how uncomfy her announcement had made me. Because she had prenatal care courses every week, and would chat about them with me, wanting to hear my input. The worst one was for the 37th week, when the class was about late term miscarriages. Holy gently caress that was hard.

BTW her daughter is awesome and about 3 years old and loves dinosaurs.

AITA for offering to be my coworker’s sperm donor?

quote:

I (29M) have a lesbian coworker (27F) who got engaged over New Year’s. She and I have always gotten along and been friendly. One time when we were getting lunch last year, the lady at the cash register said we made a cute couple and we’ve laughed about it a couple of times since then. I was thinking about that when I talked to her after she made her engagement announcement - I said “Congratulations on getting engaged! I know you and fiancée might want kids and since we make such a cute couple, hit me up if you need a sperm donor”. I was trying to be jokey and fun but she immediately stopped smiling and two of our other coworkers looked shocked. I tried to explain that I was just trying to make a joke that was kind of an in-joke between me and her. I said, sorry, it was a stupid joke, but since then she’s seemed uncomfortable around me.

Now this should be in a movie. It probably is.

Fun fact: family friend of mine is a lesbian, and she and her wife decided to have kids. They used the same sperm donor for both, but it was someone the biomom knew, had worked with, was friends with, and everyone got along. They also drew up a ton of legal documents, did counselling, etc. The kids are now 18 and 15, and the sperm donor's wife jokes that she is a partial donor because she helped get the actual samples out. But never, ever did he offer to be the donor. Because, maybe I'm old fashioned, but that is pretty loving weird.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bringing it up unprompted like that is both weird and creepy.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah, I was going to say. If they want you to be the donor they will approach you. It's weird enough as is, you being the one to bring it up first makes it even weirder.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

People think it’s noble if I offer my blood or my organs. But you offer a coworker and friend your precious cum one time and… they turn on me? Has the world gone mad??

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

house of the dad posted:

People think it’s noble if I offer my blood or my organs. But you offer a coworker and friend your precious cum one time and… they turn on me? Has the world gone mad??

Nope. You don't approach someone and be like "hey do you want some of my blood? I'll give it to u".

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for going to my parents house while my roommate painted her room?

quote:

My roommate (34F) and I (31F) decided to buy a house together after living together in apartments for the past 10 years. She and I dated from 2013 to 2019. We are still best friends. We moved in in February of 2021. From the talks we had before moving in we agreed that our house would look so cute if we painted every room a different shade of purple. Purple is both of our favorite colors and purple is a color that everybody loves. It goes with everything.

Our home has 4 rooms. 2 bedrooms and 2 offices. Soon after moving in I decided to paint my rooms my two shades of purple (she did not offer to help me paint and did not offer to pay for the paint) It took me a while to get done however I did complete my rooms and even managed to paint one of our bathrooms as well (by myself.). Months passed and she did not paint anything. I did not really mind though because she is very busy. (in hindsight this is obviously not why she was putting it off keep reading)

Out of the blue she comes home from work at 3PM with her boyfriend and two of his LOUD friends to help her paint her bedroom with hideous GRAYBLUE paint. I was very uncomfortable as I could hear the four of them snickering amongst themselves and jumping around while I was in my room trying to game. I managed to keep my cool as I played. Until that evening when her boyfriend knocked on my door to ask me If I wanted Wendy's as if I were a child incapable of getting my own food. I could not handle them any longer and drove to my parents home just so I could get some quiet. Her + her friends took 2 days to complete the process and when I returned back the structure no longer felt like my home. It felt like it had been contaminated. Strangers have been there. One of my rooms is a different color than we had intended. I got emotional when I asked her why she decided to go back on her word like that. She told me that since her boyfriend would be coming over more often and staying the night she should consider his feelings when deciding what color to paint HER room (?) She said she still intended to paint her office and her bathroom purple just liked that one specific grayblue.

The conversation did nothing for me. I find it so rude that she would not only have her boyfriend over often without asking permission from her roommate but that she would do this knowing this would hurt me. We have a history and it feels like she wanted to hurt me for some reason. We both decided every room would be purple. I kept my side of the promise that would allow us to have our dream home. She didn't. She gave in to the wants of her boyfriend and now OUR house (not her and his house) looks tacky. She tried to pin this on me by saying I was home when she started painting and could have told her not to paint her room bluegray (while she had friends over. good way to make me seem like a b!&#$ in front of people who made no effort to get to know me.)

*reads title* Yeah, paint fumes can be a bit overbearing and give you a headache, that's fine! *reads post* What the gently caress. What. The. gently caress.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Nope. You don't approach someone and be like "hey do you want some of my blood? I'll give it to u".

* furiously taking notes *

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Evil Willow posted:

*reads title* Yeah, paint fumes can be a bit overbearing and give you a headache, that's fine! *reads post* What the gently caress. What. The. gently caress.

I mean, this is why you don't buy a house with someone else unless you're deeply committed. Op clearly had an idea of what she wanted her life to be and it included her roommate not ever dating again so they can spinster in their purple house.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Sure I do, and some day I'll find my true vampire love.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Uncle Enzo posted:

Maybe YOU don't. I've had a lot of success with this method---<faints>

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Uncle Enzo posted:

What if they're an umpire?

[checks notes] Oh, my bad. I meant 'vampire' :drac:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Evil Willow posted:

keep reading

I should have stopped there.