Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Yeah the only zone they had that really did something different and fun was the moon which was at drat near max level, it was stupid as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I liked the style of wildstar with its wacky animations and poo poo but "we're going to do all the same poo poo wow does except 200% more obnoxious because we're super hardcore and you nerds wont be able to handle it" is basically the exact opposite of what I want from an mmorpg.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Yup, it's all well and good saying the endgame grind and obnoxious developer attitudes to difficulty were what killed it, but IIRC it bled a huge number of users well before they hit max level. The entire game was a grind and levelling was pretty punishing and repetitive - even though they had some really good bits (solo expeditions! the cool housing!)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Digital Prophet posted:

I liked the style of wildstar with its wacky animations and poo poo but "we're going to do all the same poo poo wow does except 200% more obnoxious because we're super hardcore and you nerds wont be able to handle it" is basically the exact opposite of what I want from an mmorpg.

oh, your attunement quest bugged out? well, create a new character I guess :smug:

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

Yup, it's all well and good saying the endgame grind and obnoxious developer attitudes to difficulty were what killed it, but IIRC it bled a huge number of users well before they hit max level. The entire game was a grind and levelling was pretty punishing and repetitive - even though they had some really good bits (solo expeditions! the cool housing!)

The housing was pretty fun from what I recall but I also was one of those people who didn't make it very far in Wildstar. I got out of the first 2 zones I think? Something about it just didn't feel rewarding to play.

New World was super fun for the first couple weeks when the world was heavily populated and there was a lot of world pvp. After the world pvp dried up on my server I kept logging in for a time but it was a bit joyless. The pvp quests where you had to flag should have given more xp/gold. Iirc they gave more tokens and influence than regular quests but less xp/gold. They should have also had some variety. For a game that went from PvP focused to PvE from alpha to beta, I would have expected there to be some fleshed out PvP quests, not run in a loop to get a package, stand in an area, kill some animals or gather some mats, run back to town.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Did wildstar actually never come up with a fix for attunement bugging out besides "you got to reroll"?

That seems like something they could have GM's flag on a per-character basis daily until they had something for a patch.

That would be a huge quit moment if you grinded out to raid just to find out you had to do it all again and there was no guarantee it wouldn't happen a second time.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Someone start a Wildstar thread

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Did wildstar actually never come up with a fix for attunement bugging out besides "you got to reroll"?

I don't believe so, no. I dimly recall players mucking around with it and determining it to be something clientside (which is admittedly downright bizarre and has me wondering if I'm misremembering it), which would explain why they couldn't simply do a database edit.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

arbybaconator posted:

I feel like there is enough room for discussion of two dead games in this somewhat slow thread.

Vermain posted:

I don't believe so, no. I dimly recall players mucking around with it and determining it to be something clientside (which is admittedly downright bizarre and has me wondering if I'm misremembering it), which would explain why they couldn't simply do a database edit.

I guess it just wouldn't be "hardcore" enough if they fixed the permanently bugged attunement process.
That's the kinda bug I'd expect a company to devote all their time to fixing once they found out about it and if it's somehow impossible to fix, doing away with attunement due to the bug, seeing as how they put their entire bet on "hardcore raiders" sustaining the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 13, 2022

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

arbybaconator posted:

I guess it says a lot people would rather talk about a dead trash game that shut down years ago than whatever New World is currently.

Dug out the Wildstar "spit on corpse" thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868076&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

DancingShade posted:

I guess it says a lot people would rather talk about a dead trash game that shut down years ago than whatever New World is currently.

Dug out the Wildstar "spit on corpse" thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868076&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It was closed years ago with the words "Why are you still here?".

Just forget about Wildstar, it isn't worth it, just as we sooner or later, will forget about New World.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If we're talking dead MMOs, check out community Asheron's Call servers. There's Darktide under another name for unforgiving PvP fans.

Neith
Feb 16, 2013

The Gadfly posted:

How many goons are still active in the server?

Im fairly active, but I went to Pluto. I think I have 750hrs logged so far. When the game released and everyone couldnt figure out what was going on, the drama, etc. I just chose a populated server and remained solo concentrating on PvP only.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is this game still lol and lmao, or is it too dead for that?

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Hughmoris posted:

Is this game still lol and lmao, or is it too dead for that?

https://twitter.com/NewWorldMMO/status/1481695807514431489

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol and lmao.

I paid $15 for lost ark

I kinda thought it was an mmo but it seems more like an Arpg mmo lol

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

MarcusSA posted:

Lol and lmao.

I paid $15 for lost ark

I kinda thought it was an mmo but it seems more like an Arpg mmo lol

P2w rear end whale!!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

P2w rear end whale!!!

Listen if I only get the 3 days of early play out of it and then the game shits the bed I’ll call that a win.

I actually didn’t realize the game was free till someone pointed it out I always thought it was $15.

Oh yeah and the game has the tiny rear end guild size like NW lol (actually smaller I think).

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Another dead MMO incoming? Zenith, the vr mmo is apparently coming jan 27th. I just feel like it limiting to vr already limits what you'll get as a market. Since we are talking about any mmo that isn't new world anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWNtT8SMcpM

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Another dead MMO incoming? Zenith, the vr mmo is apparently coming jan 27th. I just feel like it limiting to vr already limits what you'll get as a market. Since we are talking about any mmo that isn't new world anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWNtT8SMcpM

If I can’t use my NFTs in it that’s a hard pass.

Imagine getting lag in VR?? :barf:

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 14, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

I am sad about how much of a disaster this game turned out.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

how many times have they had to shut off the in-game economy, like 4 times now?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

What? Again? What now? More dupes? More broken economy?

EDIT: Duping exploit caused by UI issues? Or IU issues caused by duping? Who knows?

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Apparently the dupe bug wasn’t an actual dupe bug, just a UI display issue.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Ragaman posted:

Apparently the dupe bug wasn’t an actual dupe bug, just a UI display issue.

Can't even get a dupe bug done properly, disgraceful.

New World: Fails are failing.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm just amazed at how loving awful this game's fundamental core code must be.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Rexicon1 posted:

Wow sucks, but this is one of the most insane things I’ve ever seen posted on this website.

I was trying to remember why I thought this, and I think it was just too much poo poo to press for 'optimal' play.

From what I remember of the little I played WoW (we're talking maybe a few days /played total), there were multiple hotbars, while WildStar restricted it to one as I recall.

Beyond that, I had played basically all other MMOs. I don't really recall why I couldn't get into WoW other than that.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I picked medic and got really fuckin angry that my heals would keep missing bc people were moving around to dodge the poo poo they were supposed to dodge

I remember posting to the goon wildstar dev "sorry I didn't like the beta" in this very forum and the following two pages insisted I was wrong

goons were really hyped for that game right up until it launched, and then never again

I have not, in fact, seen warplots

edit: trying to heal as a medic was like if sacred ground did all its healing at once instead of over time and also everyone is on roller skates because there were so many more telegraphs

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 15, 2022

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ad by Khad posted:

goons were really hyped for that game right up until it launched, and then never again

There was hope they were gonna spend the months between beta and launch to fix bugs and add content to some of the worst stretches of the levelling curve.

Instead they spent all their dev time on warplots and adding the godawful attunements. Thyr made the game worse for some dumbass reason.

poo poo, the only "bug" I remember being fixed on launch was them removing drops from a questing area that was really good for getting loads of crafting materials.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Deki posted:

There was hope they were gonna spend the months between beta and launch to fix bugs and add content to some of the worst stretches of the levelling curve.

Instead they spent all their dev time on warplots and adding the godawful attunements. Thyr made the game worse for some dumbass reason.

poo poo, the only "bug" I remember being fixed on launch was them removing drops from a questing area that was really good for getting loads of crafting materials.

Hey at least they changed the quest in Grimvault where you had to kill (literally) 100 enemies for a single quest

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Were they like ... hard enemies or something?

Y'all keep posting about grind and it barely registers to my FFXI corrupted brain. 50 kills with a 1 damage weapon to unlock dark knight, 50 more kills to upgrade that weapon into something useful for maybe five lowbie levels.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ranzear posted:

Y'all keep posting about grind and it barely registers to my FFXI corrupted brain. 50 kills with a 1 damage weapon to unlock dark knight, 50 more kills to upgrade that weapon into something useful for maybe five lowbie levels.

Greatest MMO of all time. :allears:

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

arbybaconator posted:

This is the Wildstar thread now

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anita Dickinme posted:

Greatest MMO of all time. :allears:

Lol yes

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Ranzear posted:

That sounds pretty good. Post th e worst grinds you've done thread tia. Mine is probably a few levels in a korean mmo called air rivals but I gave up pretty quick. I'm sure other people have more impressive ones

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Hah, Air Rivals. That game was actually really fun to play and different but dear jesus the grind was exactly era-appropriate Korean.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Helped friends in EverQuest do a 4 day camp and then a 7 day camp once. Both were those "ultra rare" spawns that were based on a random chance, with the placeholder having ridiculous spawn times. I think one was on a tiny island for the druid epic, and the other was in Splitpaw I think for some robe.

I guess not grinds in the sense of having to kill a ton of mobs, but a time grind for sure. In both cases we would just call each other when we were logging off for sleep so the other could log on to maintain control of the camp. The Splitpaw one was a little longer because the first spawn got ninja'd out from under us.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I grinded for a million hours some dumb poo poo treant in EQ in south Karana for a part to a totemic chest piece that I replaced almost immediately afterwards.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear posted:

50 more kills to upgrade that weapon into something useful for maybe five lowbie levels.

Forgot that if you don't do this part and just throw the weapon out, you'll get stuck in a 40 second cutscene and receive a new one every time you ride a certain particularly useful boat back to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
someone in my guild camped the ragefire for my cleric epic without me even asking and bless their loving heart because they were there for 5 days

we call new world a bad game and rightly so but everquest was just on another level of being a bad game that wasted your time