Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I have a switch but I’m having trouble finding games to play.

I'm looking at a shelf with nearly 100 cases of Switch games and thinking, "gently caress, I'll never find the time to play most of these".

Are you not looking closely enough? I'm going to throw some random names, all completely different genres, see if anything sparks. Animal Crossing? Mario Odyssey? Ikaruga? Valkyria Chronicles? Xenoblade 2? Shantae Pirate Curse? Project Diva Megamix? Ys VIII? Steamworld Heist? Obra Dinn? New Pokemon Snap?

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Enfys posted:

I ended up buying some games I have on PC again on my switch so I can play while pooping or otherwise too lazy to move

I've done this with several too. Just bought Dicey Dungeons and Blasphemous again because I might wanna play them handheld or while traveling.

I'm gonna throw out three miscellaneous rewards for God of War (2018):

Best sound effect: The weird spectral caw that Odin's Ravens make. There are several bird sounds in the game but the weird filter on the Raven caws is so distinct that I always know if one is nearby.

This suckssss: The placement of a few of these Odin's Ravens. Some of these fly around in circles really far away from you so you have to time your axe throw early and angle the axe higher to account for the drop. There's one that I think I can't hit from where I'm standing but I haven't found a closer spot.

Best joke: When Mimir mentions how much Kratos enjoys destroying pottery. Then a short time later Kratos and Atreus drink from a wine pot and Kratos smashes it on the ground afterwards

Jolo

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Cyber Shadow is on there and on Game Pass. I don't think many people played it because only me and one other person listed it on their Goty list.

It's a 2d action platformer made to look like a lost 16 bit game. You get a handful of new abilities as you progress and each one gives combat and movement utility. The bosses are all challenging but fair. It's great. The title is terribly generic and I think that contributed to it being instantly overlooked by many. I highly recommend.

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I've heard that video games are pretty good games to play on the switch, have you tried one of those yet?

play monster hunter rise and let me know if it's worth getting on my PC now or waiting for a sale, since I just barely got into mh: world

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i almost bought Skyrim YET AGAIN for the switch

almost

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Farecoal

There he go
Is it weird to want an open-world space simulator like Elite Dangerous or the X series but with a soundtrack like Jet Set Radio

Mummy Napkin

Farecoal posted:

Is it weird to want an open-world space simulator like Elite Dangerous or the X series but with a soundtrack like Jet Set Radio

no that sounds kick rear end really

Enfys

The ocean is calling and I must go

Farecoal posted:

Dang I want this now

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
turn in game music off / down to 0 volume and just play your own soundtrack, I do that all the time :sweatdrop:

Prof. Crocodile

Saoshyant posted:

I'm looking at a shelf with nearly 100 cases of Switch games and thinking, "gently caress, I'll never find the time to play most of these".

Are you not looking closely enough? I'm going to throw some random names, all completely different genres, see if anything sparks. Animal Crossing? Mario Odyssey? Ikaruga? Valkyria Chronicles? Xenoblade 2? Shantae Pirate Curse? Project Diva Megamix? Ys VIII? Steamworld Heist? Obra Dinn? New Pokemon Snap?

I liked obra dinn a lot. and of course botw and untitled goose game and Witcher 3.

I think more than anything it’s that I just don’t enjoy video games as a whole as much as I used to, and I’ve completely lost connection with certain genres. like I can’t really get into jrpgs, fighting games, shooters or platformers anymore.

I love soulsborne games and open world rpgs, but those seem to be the genres where the switch is weakest.

maybe I’ve just lost my gaming fire. :smith:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Are you a roguelike person at all? The Switch has access to most of the best.

Hades
Into the Breach
Dead Cells
Slay the Spire
Dicey Dungeons
Darkest Dungeon
Ironcast
Rogue Legacy

Or Metroidvanias?

Hollow Knight
Axiom Verge
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the switch has a fuckton of castlevanias too if you would like to play them again (or for the first time)

Prof. Crocodile

I haven’t played a metroidvania in years. maybe I could give that a shot. gotta do a little research…

more falafel please

forums poster

also if you like puzzle games, baba is you is fantastic

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I love soulsborne games and open world rpgs, but those seem to be the genres where the switch is weakest.

How about a hunting game that mostly combines both of those?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9v1k5_pHJw

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 13, 2022

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I haven’t played a metroidvania in years. maybe I could give that a shot. gotta do a little research…

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is the most Castlevania out of the modern bunch. It's basically Castlevania with a new coat of paint but not in a bad way. I enjoyed it.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bo-Pepper posted:

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is the most Castlevania out of the modern bunch. It's basically Castlevania with a new coat of paint but not in a bad way. I enjoyed it.

Seconding this recommendation.

Mummy Napkin
finished halo infinite on heroic and my old rear end just don’t have it in me anymore. some of the boss fights were whoopin me in the rear end.

started playing no man’s sky which seems much chiller and is pretty tight so far. fixing my ship then going to space was cool

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Mummy Napkin posted:

started playing no man’s sky which seems much chiller and is pretty tight so far. fixing my ship then going to space was cool

it's a very very good Video Jame

Bobby Deluxe

i need to stop picking up f2p and live service games and just stick to single player story games

currently trying to clear the 30th anniversary stuff in destiny 2 :shepicide:

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Slime Rancher is super cheap on the steams right now, well worth the purchase at that low low pice

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
also i am going to buy Dead Cells, it's half price and i hear only good things aboot it

Jolo

I'm a big fan of Blasphemous, another Metroidvania. It's dark Spanish Catholic themed and kinda icky because of that. It's made by Spanish Developers who earlier made a Lovecraftian Adventure game called The Last Door that was also good.

My big sell for it is that there's a Spanish Voices option and the character you play "The Penitent One" becomes El Penitente. If you are like me then you'll really like hearing El Penitente.

Prof. Crocodile

Jolo posted:

I'm a big fan of Blasphemous, another Metroidvania. It's dark Spanish Catholic themed and kinda icky because of that. It's made by Spanish Developers who earlier made a Lovecraftian Adventure game called The Last Door that was also good.

My big sell for it is that there's a Spanish Voices option and the character you play "The Penitent One" becomes El Penitente. If you are like me then you'll really like hearing El Penitente.

muy interesante :thunk:

sb hermit

Jolo posted:

El Penitente

El Penitente

Jolo

sb hermit posted:

El Penitente

Triste sea el corazón, Penitente

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
just bought a refurbished V2 switch and mario kart for tree fiddy

waiiiiting
is the har dest part

deep dish peat moss

me: *looking counfoundingly at the lyrics insert from my Geto Boys CD* "V2? I thought switches were in black 6-4s."

kalel

Jolo posted:

there's a Spanish Voices option

are you fing kidding me

kalel

I beat that whole game and never once knew that was an option. I can almost feel the disappointment of my ancestors :smithcloud:

Jolo

I'm pretty sure it was added a while after the game came out after people asked for it. They've added a lot to the game over time. At release it didn't have fast travel either. It was there when I first played and I was surprised to find it wasn't there at the start.

Farecoal

There he go
Welp, don't like Sekiro. Combat feels too much like a rhythm game (ugh) and I'm not enjoying myself at all. I actually uninstalled it after playing for a few hours which is rare for me, I usually try to stick it out if I don't like a game at first. Oh well :shrug:

At least I defeated Laurence! Kind of anti-climatic but he was the last Soulsborne boss I had to defeat.

Wait poo poo there's a few chalice dungeon bosses I haven't beaten yet :negative:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 17, 2022

Enfys

Vampire Survivors is ridiculously cheap and ridiculously fun and I can't stop playing it

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Enfys posted:

Vampire Survivors is ridiculously cheap and ridiculously fun and I can't stop playing it

i just bought it and aaaarrghh it's so friggin good

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
It rules

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

beer pal

i want to play it on nintendo switch it would be a sick game to play handheld on the couch

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Enfys

Last night after going to bed I wished I could play on my switch.

Every time I close my eyes I see gems

sephiRoth IRA

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Farecoal posted:

Welp, don't like Sekiro. Combat feels too much like a rhythm game (ugh) and I'm not enjoying myself at all. I actually uninstalled it after playing for a few hours which is rare for me, I usually try to stick it out if I don't like a game at first. Oh well :shrug:

At least I defeated Laurence! Kind of anti-climatic but he was the last Soulsborne boss I had to defeat.

Wait poo poo there's a few chalice dungeon bosses I haven't beaten yet :negative:

Don't worry dude I was in the same boat. Beat the hell out of all the souls bornes, multiple times, and was so pumped to try sekiro.

I hated it. I could not make the blocks happen and did not have the patience to memorize all the timings. The whole was a drag and I barely made it through two bosses before bailed permanently.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Scarlet Nexus is... a game.

I don't know what to think of it, even 20+ hours in. The story is fairly sci-fi/anime boilerplate, but with some stuff about psychic powers and an underclass that never gets explored. You can play as two of the main characters and the story paths are slightly different (there's a NG+ for trophy hunting/endgame stuff). The combat is frantic like Bayonetta and there's just so many ways to approach the battles but I'm still not fully engaged. Don't know what it is either, all these things on paper make for a game tailor-made for me

Edit :

Finished last night and really have no desire to go back through with the other character, since it didn't quite grab me. Back to Shin Megami Tensei V and Resident Evil 8/Village

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo

Mafia Definitive Edition is dumb and bad but I keep playing it. Mostly you drive and shoot in the game and the driving feels ok but the shooting feels clunky as hell.

It's dumb because despite being part of a mass criminal organization nearly every mission in the game has your character being sent out to do some impossible suicide mission all by himself. Your idiot character should come back and say "hey boss, next time you send me into a situation where I have to shoot 100 goons please send a few guys with me to even the odds" but he never does.

I don't recommend it at all. The game isn't very fun to play and most of the story has been incredibly generic.