Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for refusing to pay for mechanic to tighten my wheel?

Caught between an unreliable narrator and potentially rear end in a top hat CYA grifter mechanics

The only winning move is not to play

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for uninviting my stepdad from my wedding so my brothers could come?

You hosed up OP. If you have a stable loving relationship with your step-dad and he's paying for your poo poo and there's no nefarious poo poo like abuse or cheating then you definitely didn't need to prioritize your shithead brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

teen witch posted:

And spice must be harder to avoid, especially if you haven’t been exposed to it at a younger age. But it’s one thing to not like something (or not tolerate it well), it’s another to sabotage another’s enjoyment of it.

As someone who's allergic to peppers, they're really loving difficult to avoid, especially once you start reacting to small enough amounts of them that you have to stop eating any processed food that just says "spices" on the ingredients list. A ton of restaurants also won't list them on the menu if it's a small amount that doesn't make the food taste "spicy." I used to try to just order carefully so I wouldn't inconvenience the kitchen, but between the stealth peppers in so many things and the fact that my reactions have gotten worse, now I check in with the server to make sure there won't be surprise chili flakes in the marinara or a bunch of paprika on everything.

But even with all that, it's pretty easy for me to duck out on events with pepper-heavy food, to eat in advance, or to fill up on rice or bread or something instead of demanding that everyone else's lives revolve around me.

I do find it funny that back before my allergy became noticeable, my lifelong spice aversion was sometimes treated like a moral failing, and now when I say I'm allergic those kinds of folks act like that's a tragedy instead. Apparently the first time I got a rash I went from being a huge picky baby to a pitiable victim of fate.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for calling my gf psychotic for believing her dolls were alive?

"Hi, I see you're excited about remembering a joyful, harmless part of your childhood so I'm here to explain how you were actually a monster. Then, I'll post about it on the Internet in such a manner as to imply something completely different than the actual situation."

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Soylent Pudding posted:

I went to some hot chick's place and she told me about how her good friend died recently and she said she knows that their friend is a ghost now talking to her and that was enough for me to leave instead of trying to seal the deal.

I could see how 'pretending they were alive' could freak the dude out, but jesus give it time to make a decision on whether or not she's psychotic.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Butts posted:

I went to some hot chick's place and she told me about how her good friend died recently and she said she knows that their friend is a ghost now talking to her and that was enough for me to leave instead of trying to seal the deal.

Which Pixar movie led her to believe that?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Doctor Butts posted:

I could see how 'pretending they were alive' could freak the dude out

:supaburn: *runs screaming out of daycare* help get me out of this madhouse!!!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Fatkraken posted:

r/relationships: I asked her when she was letting them Move in she hung up

This would be a drat good thread title.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I jokingly said "You were psychotic as a child." But I guess my tone sounded rather serious. 

I guarentee he said this with a straight face and a tone of voice with zero mirth in it. loving lol at a guy that hears his gf talk about how she used her imagination when she was a kid and thought "This bitch is crazy." He sure sounds like a fun guy to be around.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Some kids have a vivid imagination. Imaginary friends are routine, not psychotic. Thinking your toys are alive? Also totally within the normal range of behaviors.

AITA for letting my family borrow things my daughter no longer uses?

quote:

So I (M40) and my wife (F38) have 2 daughters (19F) and (2F).

My 19F daughter is living in her uni city but still keeps things at our home which is fine. At this point however, we need her room for our youngest daughter so I decided to start offering things to my family. For example, her smart scales weren’t being used anymore and my brother has been trying to get healthier and lose weight so I passed them onto him as they measure fat and metrics. My other brother’s kids wanted Articulate and I figured it can’t hurt to let them play with my daughter’s copy. She only took what she really wanted to university so I don’t know why she would miss the things at home.

Things came to a head a few days ago when I offered my nephew her Harry Potter book collection. He’s really been struggling to read lately and I think once he finds a book he really likes, it will makes it easier for him. My daughter is an avid reader so I thought she would appreciate the books are to help her cousin get into reading like she did. I was wrong. She got very angry with me when she realised the books were gone, saying that “I always do this without asking” and that I never ask for anything back from the people I give her things to. She also pointed out several examples so she does have a point and I guess I do let other people use her things.

I told her that she was being selfish because she’s enjoyed using them and that it’s going to family and whenever she needs something, they help her. It’s also not good to hoard things because it’ll get thrown out by my wife sooner or later. She refuses to engage in any conversation with me now until I get those books back so i’m wondering AITA?

EDIT - Okay I get it, I’m an AH. I grew up having to share everything but that doesn’t mean my daughter has to. I’m going to message my brother and ask for the books back and apologise to my daughter.

I'm glad the dad is doing the right thing, but what an awful childhood he must have had where "sharing" meant "things were given away".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

TL;DR: I have had enough of my stepdaughter so I moved back to my parents with my son. I’m also 8w pregnant and I don’t know know what to do

Update: tl;dr I have had enough of my stepdaughter so I moved back to my parents’ with my son

Jesus, what a tragedy.

jazzyhattrick posted:

What do you even do if your kid is just an irredeemable piece of poo poo? Stick them them a cheap boarding school until you can cut contact when they turn 18?
In most cases it's kind of a pointless question because like Fatkraken said, the people who will be making that decision are the people who made them that way. So whatever is the right thing to do, you can count on them not doing that!

I feel bad for the people whose story is like "My relative died, I'm raising their kids, and they're irreparably damaged"

My question is, what do you do as the father in this situation? How do you live with being such a massive failure that your daughter is attacking people and setting poo poo on fire, and your wife divorces you and aborts a planned pregnancy to save an unborn child from you failing them as a parent, too?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

My question is, what do you do as the father in this situation? How do you live with being such a massive failure that your daughter is attacking people and setting poo poo on fire, and your wife divorces you and aborts a planned pregnancy to save an unborn child from you failing them as a parent, too?

get into politics

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for refusing to pay for mechanic to tighten my wheel?

https://youtu.be/PI0hoBZ-xo4

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

limp_cheese posted:

I guarentee he said this with a straight face and a tone of voice with zero mirth in it. loving lol at a guy that hears his gf talk about how she used her imagination when she was a kid and thought "This bitch is crazy." He sure sounds like a fun guy to be around.

100% it's because she is experiencing a positive emotion that has nothing to do with him.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

teen witch posted:

I swear we know the same guy.

I feel bad because I outright hate most anise-salmiakki* type flavors and that’s present way more where I live, but it’s something that even a hint of it makes me retchy, so I get it. And spice must be harder to avoid, especially if you haven’t been exposed to it at a younger age. But it’s one thing to not like something (or not tolerate it well), it’s another to sabotage another’s enjoyment of it. Like I’m not going to TNT a candy section at ICA because I don’t like black licorice in a salmiakki hate crime.

*there is a beer here that’s half salt liquorice/half raspberry flavored and gently caress me it’s drat good (Dugges Fifty Fifty, anything from them is worth a shot). I think THAT might be the only thing I like.

Ah, sick! I remember when Salmiakki Hate Crime opened for Moonsorrow.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

sephiRoth IRA posted:

They didn't start making ritos with cocaine dusting or anything like that, right? :stare:

For real I can't have salted doritos in my house or I'll be likely to eat them all in one sitting. Actual cocaine would last longer.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm like that with pistachios, I will sit there and eat them as fast as I can shell them until they're all gone

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm like that with pistachios, I will sit there and eat them as fast as I can shell them until they're all gone

you fucker thanks for reminding of the bag over here

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Brawnfire posted:

It's definitely gotten insane, much like every tradition around weddings and childbirth. The original idea as I understand it was feeding each other cake and "oh lol that got messy let's kiss now"

That got a laugh from a desperate, trapped wedding audience so the next couple had to up the ante. Now I'm guessing there's probably cake cannons and poo poo.

The thing I'd be scared of is like, you can't just slam someone's face into a cake without preparing for that. You don't know what's supporting that cake. People have ended up with dowels and poo poo speared through their eye because they think a giant decorated cake is just cake throughout.

I'm trying to imagine how Jewish weddings would go if we had this mentality. Wine glass? Pfft... ten wine glasses! The groom breaking them with his foot? How about some DYNAMITE instead?!!?

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

Tell psycho daughter that she's dead to you, relinquish all parental rights, beg wife not to have the abortion and take you back.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

jazzyhattrick posted:

Tell psycho daughter that she's dead to you, relinquish all parental rights, beg wife not to have the abortion and take you back.

lol who'd take back a guy who did that to their child

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mediaphage posted:

lol who'd take back a guy who did that to their child

Somebody who's seen said child's behaviour first hand and knows she deserves it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
His behavior contributed to her becoming this way in the first place. What reason is there to think that, even if he happens to do this, he won't mess up her one existing kid more than he already has, and the potential new one also?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'm just glad the woman had the sanity to get an abortion.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Invent a time machine, go back and try to be less of be a complete failure as a dad and husband.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
That's kinda what you expect a kid to do when you emotionally neglect them and repeatedly tell them they are unwanted and then abandon them. They're going to lash out and resent their relatives who get treated better than them.

Hopefully the grandparents are nice.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

teen witch posted:

AITA for telling my boyfriend i don’t want his ugly handmade gifts?

There’s a whole hefty contingent of downvoted YTA comments because of course there are.
Something great about this one that came out in the comments... Christmas present was a rock. Just a rock found on the ground.

AITA for badly reacting to my house being rearranged?

quote:

Before you come at me hear me out. Obligatory throwaway account in case this gets seen.

I went interstate to see my mother over the Christmas period. I had asked my bf to look after my cat and house sit for me while I was away. I said to him not to have anyone over which included MIL. I think that's a pretty reasonable request. While I was away bf secretly had MIL over to my house under the guise of meeting the cat.

MIL got it in her head that I needed her to "tidy up" so they set to work "tidying up" while I was gone. I asked bf not to get too carried away and not to touch anything that could be classed as rearranging. I thought I made myself very clear on my stance about this. Bf actively lied to me about not having anyone over while I was away.

I come home, bf picks me up from to airport to tell me that my father is coming to my flat to see me. I thought the flat was still the way I wanted it. We get through the door to my flat and absolutely everything has been changed. I walk around and I lose my poo poo saying to bf that I told him not to go overboard. I started crying because he didn't respect my wishes and told me that MIL had been there to help him.

I lose it even more finding out that MIL who is a first class snooper has been in my apartment touching my things and putting my life on display. Bf got up in arms because I was being ungrateful and I said to him that I didn't want this, I didn't ask for this at all and to find out that MIL had been here without my permission really made me mad. I said to him he should have consulted me about the changes he was going to make instead of just doing it and making me learn to like it.

My Dad came over and I was in a foul mood having just learned that my privacy and my home had been violated. Dad thought I was being unreasonable about the state of my house (bf and MIL made it look like no one lives there) I stood my ground and said it was too much change and now they have made it so I can't change it back.

Bf said I was an AH because of my reaction to this. I'm starting to think I am, but I also feel like it was a heathy reaction to someone completely turning your house and stuff upside down without you knowing. So AITA?

What do you mean you can't change it back?

quote:

he's filled the empty spaces with furniture that I can't lift or move so I have to keep it the way he put it. he bought a whole second TV cabinet so I can't put things back.

Someone needs a loving hammer. Take it to the tv cabinet then the ex.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Is your child rotten? Throw it away, you can always get another. That is enough. Do not go on and say, 'Why did this child for whom I was responsible grow to resent this world?'" - Marcus Aurelius

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for calling my academic girlfriend a trophy wife as a joke?

quote:

My gf of 5 years, Clara (25F), and I (26M) both attend the same university. I’m finishing up the final parts of my STEM BSc (computer science, working on mobile application development), and she’s in the 3rd year of studying for a doctorate in a Humanities and will get her Phd in Sept. It’s a university city so politically active and Clara is active there, does a lot of organising, demos and protests etc: FYI we align the same politically so this isn’t an issue, I’m describing what she does.

If you know computer science dudes, you’ll know we like to joke around a lot. Last year, I had to repeat classes and I was with students a few years below me, who saw photos of me and Clara on my phone bg. Clara is objectively very pretty, and it’s something I can be insecure of. So I, jokingly, said she was my trophy wife, and made some dumb blonde type jokes about her being “no thoughts head empty” and “proof you are either pretty or smart”. If you know guys, you know inside jokes, and my trophy wife became a meme in the STEM underclasses, my friends even made me a mug that said “every developer needs a trophy wife”.

But last week I took Clara to a mutual’s party and the CS underclassmen were there. They straightaway started joking about finally meeting the trophy wife, and she got offended and said something snippy like “you know I’m doing a Phd and organised X strike to pressure the college for money for YOUR department right?” (I know this as I had told her abt the issue so she pressured the college).

My friend was drunk, and laughed at her and said he didn’t know that, but a degree in CS is worth more than “reading books and acting like MLK” and to my horror said something like “OP, you were right, she is a trophy wife”. Clara, who is mixed race, seemed to take offence at the first statement, but left the group and ignored me totally.

At home, she rounded on me and I immediately said sorry, the MLK comment was wrong, I’ll speak to him. She said to forget that, and asked me what the gently caress I meant by trophy wife. I explained the backstory, a bit badly as I was drinking. She asked why I didn’t defend her from the comments about her degree, but I said that everyone thinks their course is the best and she shouldn’t overreact. She told me I was a prick, then gave me the cold shoulder till now.

I feel like an AH because I didn’t think she’d be annoyed by trophy wife jokes. She is aware she’s pretty and is confident about it so I don’t know why she’s reacting badly. I accept the MLK comment was rude, and my friend apologised the next day. But the trophy wife stuff was just jokes, most people in her community knows her well, she never interacts with STEM students so I didn’t think their jokes mattered.

Maybe this is an “academia” thing I don’t know about since I’m aiming to work in an industry? If I messed up, I want to apologise, but I can’t see how this was more than a joke gone sour.

ETA because I’m seeing some people argue about politics and I wanted to be fair/clear about this since it seems Im the AH in all other ways.

She isn’t an activist for party politics aka leftwing or rightwing stuff, she’s more a “student politics” type. Student Union president last year and did a lot of student union stuff through her time here, thats why she was able to press the college for money for facilities. So no it’s not the kind of “professional liberal” ur thinking of, so please stop sending me hate from both sides of the political line.

Also, to the person who DMed asking if she was doing a gender studies phd, no, her subject is History. I accept that Im an rear end in a top hat, not because of all your abuse but because of the kind of people agreeing with me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

My gf of 5 years, Clara (25F), and I (26M) both attend the same university. I’m finishing up the final parts of my STEM BSc (computer science,

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Hughlander posted:

Something great about this one that came out in the comments... Christmas present was a rock. Just a rock found on the ground.

AITA for badly reacting to my house being rearranged?

What do you mean you can't change it back?

Someone needs a loving hammer. Take it to the tv cabinet then the ex.

loving :guillotine:

after my daughter was born, my wife went back to work during her industry's busy season which required 60-80 weeks. I was just starting my postdoc at similar hours. Her mom came out under the guise of "helping" out.

Bitch completely rearranged the drawers in my kitchen so they "made better sense". loving narcissistic rear end in a top hat. I couldn't find anything for months :fuckoff:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*fuming* "You... 'got rid of' the junk drawer?!? EVERY HOME NEEDS A JUNK DRAWER"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

:ramsay:

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Soylent Pudding posted:

I accept that Im an rear end in a top hat, not because of all your abuse but because of the kind of people agreeing with me.
It is such a shame that this sentence is too long for a thread title.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

I read the title, thinking that it was gonna be "she's not a supermodel and you're an idiot for reminding her" and he managed to make it so much worse. "The Other Guys" is a comedy, dude, not an instruction manual.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

HerStuddMuffin posted:

It is such a shame that this sentence is too long for a thread title.

How about :

I accept that Im an rear end in a top hat...because of the kind of people agreeing with me

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Brawnfire posted:

*fuming* "You... 'got rid of' the junk drawer?!? EVERY HOME NEEDS A JUNK DRAWER"
Julia Child's junk drawer is in the Smithsonian collection (along with the rest of her kitchen).

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm trying to imagine how Jewish weddings would go if we had this mentality. Wine glass? Pfft... ten wine glasses! The groom breaking them with his foot? How about some DYNAMITE instead?!!?

Mazel tov? More like Molotov!

*sets everything on fire*

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CannonFodder posted:

Mazel tov? More like Molotov!

*sets everything on fire*

Groom looks around at the his screaming guests, burning chuppah, fleeing Rabbi. "Ma.. lo tov?"

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Soylent Pudding posted:

:sever: :sever: :sever:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Soylent Pudding posted:

she never interacts with STEM students so I didn’t think their jokes mattered

Oh, I guess that makes it ok to not put a stop to people believing your gf is an empty headed gently caress doll accessory. That totally shows you respect her and don't secretly agree with them.

Alternatively this guy is such a weenie that he's scared of what underclassman might think of him. If so loving lol that this guy was being bullied for having a hot girlfriend by people who might still be mentally teenagers.

They could also be trying to break them up so they can take their chance with her, which he dived headfirst into. If she doesn't leave him over this it'll happen again, guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

first she decides to get a phd in history, and then shes dating this guy, talk about a series of terrible decisions