Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

Cls: helped my landlords fix their kitchen cabinet doors and now I'm drunk on vodka and raw garlic again

this sounds both hilarious and sweet :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

cjs: working on a saturday doing some stupid cisco ucs/hyperflex + vmware upgrade. predictably it failed so now in a webex with cisco tac. good thing i'm being paid over time for this!!!

not a big fan of vmware, but their cloud SAN was an interesting move. i still despise vsphere

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

dioxazine posted:

not a big fan of vmware, but their cloud SAN was an interesting move. i still despise vsphere

cloud SAN? you mean VMC? that's literally just "vmware but we run it on AWS for you lol"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

also i just owned myself and hosed the entire environment by rebooting the wrong host. see i assumed that ESXi host host2 would be on UCS server rack-unit-2. turns out i can go gently caress myself because it's setup like this:

pre:
rack-unit-1 -> host1
rack-unit-2 -> host3
rack-unit-3 -> host2
i pray i never meet the sicko that configured that poo poo. as its hyperconverged the datastore went down so :rip:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pile Of Garbage posted:

also i just owned myself and hosed the entire environment by rebooting the wrong host. see i assumed that ESXi host host2 would be on UCS server rack-unit-2. turns out i can go gently caress myself because it's setup like this:

pre:
rack-unit-1 -> host1
rack-unit-2 -> host3
rack-unit-3 -> host2
i pray i never meet the sicko that configured that poo poo. as its hyperconverged the datastore went down so :rip:

sever

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh yeah im leaving this customer in the next month

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Fool posted:

I like celery but it makes my mouth fuzzy

What

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
cls: stupid steam pipes keep hissing and clanking just enough that i keep worrying that there are mice making noises in the other room :tinfoil:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Asleep Style posted:

when I was an intern in a factory another intern dropped his first gen iphone in a bucket of beef tallow. it clogged up the microphone and speaker real good

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pile Of Garbage posted:

pre:
rack-unit-1 -> host1
rack-unit-2 -> host3
rack-unit-3 -> host2

lmao rip

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

pre:
rack-unit-1 -> host1
rack-unit-2 -> host3
rack-unit-3 -> host2

at my lab there’s a bank of vacuum gate valves controlled by a power strip with switches for each outlet. the power strip was labeled with big numbers 1 through 8 and the valves are numbered V1, V2 etc. but like V4 is plugged into slot #6 or whatever so i have to try to read the tiny labels on the power cord to figure out which is which.

we’re just begging for someone at some point to pop the wrong valve and destroy our vacuum pumps.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Eeyo posted:

at my lab there’s a bank of vacuum gate valves controlled by a power strip with switches for each outlet. the power strip was labeled with big numbers 1 through 8 and the valves are numbered V1, V2 etc. but like V4 is plugged into slot #6 or whatever so i have to try to read the tiny labels on the power cord to figure out which is which.

we’re just begging for someone at some point to pop the wrong valve and destroy our vacuum pumps.

have you considered fixing this

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Nomnom Cookie posted:

have you considered fixing this

seems antithetical to cjs tbh

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

This is where we come to complain about tech, not to fix it. you fool, you imbecile :eng99:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

alexandriao posted:

This is where we come to complain about tech, not to fix it. you fool, you imbecile :eng99:

alright fair thats a good point. i retract my previous comment and replace it with make sure to get video when the fng messes with the power strip the first time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

prefect posted:

this sounds both hilarious and sweet :allears:

Just sitting there with a water glass full of vodka and an entire head of garlic, peeling the cloves with a knife and eating them raw.
Old man: "Do you eat garlic? I eat every day in morning."
Old lady: "yes, they say is very healthy. But he smell until the night"

He ate at least a dozen cloves, but she only let him drink two glasses of vodka, which he scoffed at. "Before I forty this no problem. One bottle for me is nothing."

Also apparently Leningrad is a much nicer city than San Francisco, because it doesn't have graffiti or kids on skateboards

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

Also apparently Leningrad is a much nicer city than San Francisco, because it doesn't have graffiti or kids on skateboards

:corsair:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Just sitting there with a water glass full of vodka and an entire head of garlic, peeling the cloves with a knife and eating them raw.
Old man: "Do you eat garlic? I eat every day in morning."
Old lady: "yes, they say is very healthy. But he smell until the night"

He ate at least a dozen cloves, but she only let him drink two glasses of vodka, which he scoffed at. "Before I forty this no problem. One bottle for me is nothing."

they’d be disappointed with st. petersburg then

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

they’d be disappointed with st. petersburg then

He was vaguely aware that it's no longer called Leningrad but honestly I do think it's a better name then St Petersburg

The best city in the world is Odessa, though, where 10 generations of his family lived

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

one time I wandered into some Russian cultural event in Seattle randomly. i think I saw a sign for free food and tea 🤔. Anyway they had some stuff for sale too and I found a guy selling vodka he infused with things like peppercorns and he'd give you a shot with a slice of bread and some kind of cheap caviar for $2. It was cool

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

the leningrad part gives it away, but he, uh, hasn't been there in a really long time. there's so much graffiti that the city now has a street art museum

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 15, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

He was vaguely aware that it's no longer called Leningrad but honestly I do think it's a better name then St Petersburg

The best city in the world is Odessa, though, where 10 generations of his family lived

odessa is legit, kind of like soviet miami

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

cloud SAN? you mean VMC? that's literally just "vmware but we run it on AWS for you lol"

yeah! that's why it was an interesting move.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
kind of annoyed i got doxxed on nextdoor publicly

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1482380912612372481

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

they have a legal time limit on idling their car?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

literally every winter driver in this state would run afoul of something like that

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i was gonna get out of bed, but then poodle jones jumped in with me so i'll stay here and pet him and listen to audio books a bit more

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cls sobbing over this video of a tiny tiny donkey

https://youtu.be/MIQKlHSD89E

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

small small donkey house!

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

the apartment complex near where i live always has cars idling in the morning in the street parking areas. you are an absolute fool if you get your car stolen that way

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

aeflux posted:

the apartment complex near where i live always has cars idling in the morning in the street parking areas. you are an absolute fool if you get your car stolen that way

My new car has remote start and you've got to bring the keyfob into the car and press the starter button before it'll shift out of park. Maybe they're like that?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

aftermarket remote starts are super common here

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
cls

https://imgur.com/pWEb7vB.mp4

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Fool posted:

they have a legal time limit on idling their car?

The law states that a car cannot be idling more than 5 minutes unless it is being serviced or it is being used to deliver or accept goods where engine assisted power is necessary. If someone is caught, they can be levied with a $100 fine for the first offense and up to $500 for subsequent offenses.

i guess cars got good enough at starting that they didn't need as much time to warm up, so they outlawed going too long. motor oil used to take a while to warm up and get all circulating

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3vWkqfX9fY

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

prefect posted:

The law states that a car cannot be idling more than 5 minutes unless it is being serviced or it is being used to deliver or accept goods where engine assisted power is necessary. If someone is caught, they can be levied with a $100 fine for the first offense and up to $500 for subsequent offenses.

i guess cars got good enough at starting that they didn't need as much time to warm up, so they outlawed going too long. motor oil used to take a while to warm up and get all circulating

starting a car with a carburetor and driving it cold was a good way to stall in the middle of the street if you were a little too heavy on the gas pedal. in high school i would start the car, get to the main road and, in spite of letting it warm up for a few minutes before setting out, it would occasionally stall when i gave it some gas to pull into traffic, which meant putting it in neutral, starting it back up, and throwing it into drive while flooring it to try and get the hell out of the way of oncoming traffic

old cars suck

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The_Franz posted:

old cars suck

Ya, they own. Only source of heat to defrost the windshield is the engine? Hope you like sitting around in fast-idle!

I'm so glad I live in a place where I don't need to change oil weights with the seasons, scrape ice, etc. I'd probably have given up on my old car by now, if I did. Also, living here means I can go to the farmers' market and buy several pounds of celery for $2.50, year-round, which is also pretty sweet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I was a little kid my dad had an old Saab with a two-stroke engine and a manual choke. It sounded and smelled like a chainsaw

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

When I was a little kid my dad had an old Saab with a two-stroke engine and a manual choke. It sounded and smelled like a chainsaw

old saabs were a thing of beauty, at the time