Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
I love my harbor freight rivnut tool. I’m sure the Astro is better, I might get if I ever break mine. It seems like mandrels are the expensive part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't know about those two but I can tell you the WETOLS one on Amazon was good years ago when a friend bought one and was utter poo poo by the time I bought mine last year. Like, it didn't last 5 rivets before going to poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I bought this one in the beginning of November and it's surprisingly not complete poo poo:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T8YZY23/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Came with a ton of mandrels (in well-marked plastic cases!) and bunch of pretty making GBS threads looking rivnuts. The instructions are hilarious.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Motronic posted:

Sexangular

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 15, 2022

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I have a big Sherex rivnut tool for setting 1/2" rivnuts. It came with mandrels for smaller rivnuts, too. But if you apply full force on a #10-32 rivnut, it will effortlessly snap the mandrel or strip the rivnut.

It's obvious in retrospect, but there is no mechanical stop, and you can't just set the smaller ones with a solid, hard squeeze, or you will break stuff. It's also easy to break mandrels if you apply sideways bending force to the mandrel when operating the levers.

If you are using a large rivnut tool to set smaller rivnuts, you need to use a gentle touch.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Nah man you gotta go vintage. I have no idea what I’ll use it for but I figured it was a useful tool to have so I threw it on the pile of stuff to bring up from my dad’s workshop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the Ryobi Lynx system looks to not be very versatile or economical. I was originally quite interested but it's just so drat expensive for small components. Even the rolling toolbox is just too pricey, may as well go Milwaukee for the money.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
*Does a search for Ryobi Link*

So, it's Lego?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The tool box is. The wall system is a bit weirder. I'm just sticking with pegboard and the Husky boxes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

devmd01 posted:

Nah man you gotta go vintage. I have no idea what I’ll use it for but I figured it was a useful tool to have so I threw it on the pile of stuff to bring up from my dad’s workshop.

These are also useful, but only do pop rivets, not rivnuts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The tool box is. The wall system is a bit weirder. I'm just sticking with pegboard and the Husky boxes.

I'm always wary of manufacturers doing their own proprietary systems like that. Like, peg board has basically standard spacing at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only thing I would switch to is slatwall with metal inserts. I had a sheet of that in the wall years ago and it was the best poo poo ever. But I have so much pegboard stuff there's no reason to change.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I mean, I've never owned a house nor lived somewhere long enough for making permanent changes like hanging peg board to make sense, so I am unqualified to really have an opinion on those systems. I just like drawers vs hanging on the wall, but maybe that's just a product of my circumstances.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

I mean, I've never owned a house nor lived somewhere long enough for making permanent changes like hanging peg board to make sense, so I am unqualified to really have an opinion on those systems. I just like drawers vs hanging on the wall, but maybe that's just a product of my circumstances.

I like both. The small stuff goes in the tool box and the big stuff (and yard stuff) goes in the peg board.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

kastein posted:

These are also useful, but only do pop rivets, not rivnuts.

Well now I have some reading to do because I assumed they were the same thing with a different name!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

devmd01 posted:

Well now I have some reading to do because I assumed they were the same thing with a different name!

Cliffsnotes: they both attach the same way but a rivet is basically just a nail with a head on both sides, a rivnut has a threaded hollow part down the middle so you can bolt things to it.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

And you can get big rivnuts. My van's skid plates are held on with 1/2" rivnuts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

devmd01 posted:

They're really pretty cool tools. In rust prone areas they can be loving infuriating as rust will build up on the threads and the rivnut will spin in the hole until you die of old age instead of coming unscrewed, but otherwise they're very nice. I try to remember to put a little tack weld on one side (if possible) or a notch in one side of the hole they're pressed into so that they won't spin as easily.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Also, the cheap rivnuts are way more prone to this. Better ones have ribs on the outside. But for those to work you need to be careful not to over drill the holes they are going into.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The gearwrench 120xp flex ratchet set I ordered from tool discounter forever ago showed up yesterday.

The double stacked 60 tooth pawls feel very weirdly smooth, and the stiffness of the non locking flex head detents is right on. Not too much to the point that it sucks to mash the head of the ratchet into a dirty hole and adjust it mid swing and not so little that it just flops around.

The 3/8 ratchet is the perfect length, the stubby is a nice bonus, the 1/4 was wonderful for doing glow plugs, and I can't wait to break some poo poo with the 1/2 flex head that's basically a fancy breaker bar.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I bought a few Tekton 90T ratchets a few months ago and noticed last week that one was dead:

The thing in the middle should be one solid piece rather than two.

I filled out the warranty form on their website, attached that picture, and with no further questioning was sent a full rebuild kit that arrived this week:

I’m a little disappointed it broke but there’s good odds I may have used it on the other end of something with the impact wrench, so I’m still pleased with the ratchets.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

I love digging through the tool bins at my local thrift store. Most of the time it is all garbage but sometimes there are good finds! Proto ratchet and nutrounder, Craftsman wrench and a german made ball-peen hammer. All for $15! Perfect for my limited budget.

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k

PBCrunch posted:

Does anyone have any experience with rivet nut tools? They look awesome and very handy. Is there a big difference between a $50 Harbor Freight unit and a $75 Astro Pneumatic?

kinda late but i would suggest getting one that is compatible with plus nuts (pre bulbed rivet nuts) as well. i prefer these to regular rivet nuts in many cases.

you need a longer mandrel to set plus nuts, so the harbor freight tool and most astros will not work.

i have the astro 1450, which does everything, and it works really well

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

runaway pancake posted:

kinda late but i would suggest getting one that is compatible with plus nuts (pre bulbed rivet nuts) as well. i prefer these to regular rivet nuts in many cases.

you need a longer mandrel to set plus nuts, so the harbor freight tool and most astros will not work.

i have the astro 1450, which does everything, and it works really well

I just bought that! Only used it once but it seems excellent and I love that the blown plastic case includes a little extra cubby for stuff like your rivnuts.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Sherex DLHT is a solid tool for big rivnuts (esp 3/8" and over). It's a quality tool that performs well, which is good because the fucker costs $250.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
Bought a Mini-Ductor II off a friend of mine. Can't wait to see what i can do with it.

I've got a small oxy torch setup that i use a lot but the thought that this is safer/easier/quicker is appealing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tell me what you think of it. Kind of wondering how practical it is with "maneuverability" in some quarters, but I'm sure it's way safer than the hot wrench.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

slidebite posted:

Tell me what you think of it. Kind of wondering how practical it is with "maneuverability" in some quarters, but I'm sure it's way safer than the hot wrench.

You can bend the wires however you like so long as they don’t touch/short, so you can make it work in some pretty close quarters. It’s just too bad even the AliExpress knockoffs are outside of impulse buy territory.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

Frank Dillinger posted:

You can bend the wires however you like so long as they don’t touch/short, so you can make it work in some pretty close quarters. It’s just too bad even the AliExpress knockoffs are outside of impulse buy territory.

If i didn't get this as a good used deal i would have never ponied up the $ as my torch set only cost me $350 and has more utility.
Got this for $200 used, retails for about $600.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I was working with a professional install team today doing graphics for the super bowl, it blew my mind... they were all using M12 red teams and they loving loved them. I commented something like "i cant believe you guys are using 12v for this" one of the guys tossed me his compact impact - holy.. I was blown away, then he tossed me the drill - smooth as silk. I'm.... really considering the compact 12v drill and impact - I feel dirty like I cheated on my girl Makita... but man... Torquey, compact, smooth as silk, really really easy to manipulate.. I realllllly feel like these little guys would benefit my shop.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

LobsterboyX posted:

I was working with a professional install team today doing graphics for the super bowl, it blew my mind... they were all using M12 red teams and they loving loved them. I commented something like "i cant believe you guys are using 12v for this" one of the guys tossed me his compact impact - holy.. I was blown away, then he tossed me the drill - smooth as silk. I'm.... really considering the compact 12v drill and impact - I feel dirty like I cheated on my girl Makita... but man... Torquey, compact, smooth as silk, really really easy to manipulate.. I realllllly feel like these little guys would benefit my shop.

I continue to love my M12 Fuel Surge Impact Driver. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Never wanted for power, it's been my go-to tool for 2 years and has done everything from stupid repetitive assembly to drywall installation to electrical. Small, powerful easy to control, it's great.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I can believe it. My 18v red drill and impact driver are both totally overkill for my regular needs. The impact in particular is absurdly overpowered to the point of being tricky to use sometimes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Have you used the Makita subcompacts?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Sub-Compact-Brushless-Cordless-Impact-Driver-Tool-Only-XDT18ZB/316360448

I haven't really needed more around the house.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah if you’re already in the makita ecosystem, the brushless LXT mini impact is a big improvement over the older ones.

If I had to do it over again I’d probably go team red though…

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

12v really does have oodles of power for 99.9 of anything. I have a Bosch and I love its physical size and torque.

But this for me too:

Crunchy Black posted:

If I had to do it over again I’d probably go team red though…
Reason being: There just isn't enough on the ecosystem. Bosch really dropped the ball on it. They could have competed with the other "quality" brands no problem if there was just more 12v items out there. Instead they focused on 18v. Too bad they didn't do both like red.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
My noco genius 1 has apparently stopped charging my bike (The tracker has a voltage graph, the daily spike is gone and the voltage has been falling for a few days). I went and checked on it, the status led is slowly pulsing red, which supposedly means charging & below 75%.
I reset it, maybe it will charge again, but seeing as I still have warranty on it from Amazon I figured I'd complain to them and they are sending me a replacement.

Considering the car charger I bought a long time ago was DOA noco really isn't doing too well in my book.
Back then I was mighty confused because their UX wasn't too intuitive and I thought I was just not triggering it right.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

meatpimp posted:

I continue to love my M12 Fuel Surge Impact Driver. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Never wanted for power, it's been my go-to tool for 2 years and has done everything from stupid repetitive assembly to drywall installation to electrical. Small, powerful easy to control, it's great.

plus the surge tool is significantly quieter than a traditional impact when it's hammering

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

meatpimp posted:

Thats the one they were using, mean little fucker.

My go-to impact for screwing is the old white/black makita compact - I think what I really liked about the Milwaukee is the form factor of the pistol grip.

Last year I bought the M12 ratchet set - I love the drat thing, I think I've charged it once or twice. so now I KINDA am in that eco system.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
All my carpenting stuff is 90% M18. I have loved the full size 1/2" M18 brushless impact for a long time. I tried to like the older M18 3/8" impact but it just didn't quite do it for me.

I recently got the M12 stubby 3/8" impact and the right angle die grinder and holy poo poo do those things rule.

The only thing I don't like about the M12 platform is that the battery form factor doesn't handle drops quite as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yerok posted:

I recently got the M12 stubby 3/8" impact and the right angle die grinder and holy poo poo do those things rule.

My buddy has either the 3/8 or 1/2 stubby impact, I forget which, and I can confirm that thing does rule. I've got a DeWalt 12v compact impact that I got with three batteries for $100 on a sale at Lowes and the M12 is without a doubt better, just not better enough for me to buy into another ecosystem, I'd rather save up to get higher power options. I already got the Kobalt right angle impact which, while huge in length, is amazing for tight quarters and will bust off mechanic-installed (read: overtorqued) mag-chloride gummed up lug nuts without a hitch. I still might buy into the M18 ecosystem eventually, though. They're not always the best but I've almost never seen them be bad when Project Farm or whoever tests them.