Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alright, despite being American I managed to see Toast of Tinseltown via "Methods". It's fantastic, very surreal and very funny, would love to watch it again legally if given the chance.

One problem I had with it though: sometimes Toast really didn't feel like he was enough of an rear end in a top hat to warrant the amount of poo poo he gets. Like, maybe I'm just naturally inclined to side with Matt Berry, but half the time the plots were less "Toast is a jerk and gets his comeuppance" and more "Toast is a reasonable man just trying to do his job and gets screwed over by much worse people who all get off scot free despite being awful human beings" like it's still funny, but it felt a little darker and meaner than past seasons (and past seasons are already pretty dark and mean).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Rando question - do I need to watch all of Toast of London to understand Toast of Tinseltown? Like, is this basically S4 of Toast of London, or is it a new show that happens to star the same main character?

I’ve watched the first 3 eps of Toast of London and it’s not really grabbing me. Part of that is because the show seems to be very British, and I feel like I’m missing a lot of references. Is Toast of Tinseltown the same way?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s very much season 4.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Rando question - do I need to watch all of Toast of London to understand Toast of Tinseltown? Like, is this basically S4 of Toast of London, or is it a new show that happens to star the same main character?

I’ve watched the first 3 eps of Toast of London and it’s not really grabbing me. Part of that is because the show seems to be very British, and I feel like I’m missing a lot of references. Is Toast of Tinseltown the same way?

The first few eps of Toast of London are the weakest, it gets a lot better as the series goes on. I actually stopped watching after the first ep until my wife watched the rest and convinced me to give the rest a shot.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

but half the time the plots were less "Toast is a jerk and gets his comeuppance" and more "Toast is a reasonable man just trying to do his job and gets screwed over by much worse people who all get off scot free despite being awful human beings" like it's still funny, but it felt a little darker and meaner than past seasons (and past seasons are already pretty dark and mean).

It's sort of Curb Your Enthusiasm in that way, yeah.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

thekeeshman posted:

The first few eps of Toast of London are the weakest, it gets a lot better as the series goes on. I actually stopped watching after the first ep until my wife watched the rest and convinced me to give the rest a shot.

The first episode has the surgical mishap, did you not find that funny?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Where are you watching this, because apparently Netflix dumped the show back in September and nobody else seems to have it on the usual US streaming apps.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Where are you watching this, because apparently Netflix dumped the show back in September and nobody else seems to have it on the usual US streaming apps.

It's up on iPlayer, if you have a way to watch that, or JustWatch reckons it can be bought on AppleTV.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

WonkyBob posted:

The first episode has the surgical mishap, did you not find that funny?

Lol the fact that they devoted like half the episode to that lame quasi-gag (and completely wasted a Julian Barratt cameo) was half the reason I stopped watching. Maybe it would be funnier if I knew or cared who Bruce Forsythe is (was?), but I gather he's like a British Dick Clark or something so probably not.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So in episode 1 of Toast of Tinseltown - that's Kayvan Novak, right?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Arglebargle III posted:

Whoa. I just noticed his name is a stone's throw away from being a palindrome.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arglebargle III posted:

Yup! He nailed his role too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I almost didn't recognize him because he's like... hot. Nandor doesn't hot.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

He was also Roger Dearly in Cruella... https://www.reddit.com/r/WhatWeDointheShadows/comments/nncj23/kayvan_novak_is_in_cruella/ for a bad screen cap of it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arglebargle III posted:

I almost didn't recognize him because he's like... hot. Nandor doesn't hot.

I disagree that Nandor isn't hot, but yeah Kayvan Novak is indeed hot out of costume.

For me the thing that made him hard to place is the voice, I'm so used to hearing him be Nander and his regular speaking voice sounds like a completely different person.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
He'll always be Razz Prince from PhoneShop for me.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
He also plays a huge dumbass wannabe suicide bomber in Four Lions, which everyone should seek out ASAP.

"It's me prayer bear"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

a lovely king posted:

He also plays a huge dumbass wannabe suicide bomber in Four Lions, which everyone should seek out ASAP.

"It's me prayer bear"

Holy poo poo, I never put that together.

Good excuse to rewatch Four Lions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, Four Lions is absolutely incredible, well worth watching (or rewatching!)

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

thekeeshman posted:

Lol the fact that they devoted like half the episode to that lame quasi-gag (and completely wasted a Julian Barratt cameo) was half the reason I stopped watching. Maybe it would be funnier if I knew or cared who Bruce Forsythe is (was?), but I gather he's like a British Dick Clark or something so probably not.

It could have been any old white guy, the absurdity of that situation was what I found funny.

Natasia Demetriou was great and I'd be more than happy to see a spin-off about Carman.
If were talking about wasted cameos they brought in Bill Hader and had him do two "sorry I thought I was muted" jokes. I didn't think the Larry David cameo was any better.

Julian Barrett hasn't been in Toast, if you're talking about the surgeon that's Harry Peacock as Ray Purchase. He does look a lot like Barret with tache, I've always assumed that Purchase was written for Barrett but they had to recast and found someone with a similar face.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'm glad they did

This is one of my favourite line deliveries of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8JhJQeoNY

I poo poo THEE NAY!!!

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Very same. Peacock is great and gives Purchase a wild eyed intensity that Barrett may not have been able to muster.

The revelation that he's supershredded was hilarious.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know if anyone here is familiar with Found Footage Festival, but one of their oldest bits is Kenny Strasser (see the video below). What I never realized until last night is that Kenny is played by Mark Proksch aka Colin Robinson. I've seen those clips many times but never connected the dots until they mentioned it on their Youtube show last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj9VF7LyffU

I think I originally discovered these clips on SA like a decade ago and immediately thought it was one of the funniest things a human being has ever done

relieved to find out they're still very funny. god the sheer look of terror on some of these hosts' faces. idk how Mark doesn't break character even a little. it's insane

he's also very funny in On Cinema. all of his Oscar Special bits are amazing. like he's always the best part of them and I love every second

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

JAMOOOL posted:

I think I originally discovered these clips on SA like a decade ago and immediately thought it was one of the funniest things a human being has ever done

relieved to find out they're still very funny. god the sheer look of terror on some of these hosts' faces. idk how Mark doesn't break character even a little. it's insane

he's also very funny in On Cinema. all of his Oscar Special bits are amazing. like he's always the best part of them and I love every second

The guys from Found Footage have done a few other gags like this. They've gone on local news shows as 'cooks' and weight lighting experts. It's hilarious because these Midwest tv stations are basically desperate for content so they'll book anyone on their news shows.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Something to look forward to:

quote:

ELLIE & NATASIA: BBC3, due in spring

Following a one-off pilot in 2019, a full series of this sketch comedy is on the way this year. Written by and starring friends and Stath Lets Flats cohorts Ellie White and Natasia Demetriou, their collection of skits include pastiches of vlogging mums and cactus shop owners.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh nice, the pilot was pretty good. I’ll watch that for sure.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So, he really is playing a butler in the new star wars.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arglebargle III posted:

So, he really is playing a butler in the new star wars.

Was Matt Berry cast as that before or after Toast of Tinseltown was written? I can't decide which is funnier.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Technically his character on Boba Fett is a torture droid, which is why he kept recommending torture.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"I'm just saying, it's gotten me quite a lot of mileage in the past. I was able to get a gonk droid to tell me every gonk he knew, and then some!"

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I really needed some TV comfort food so I've been rewatching community and im getting to Season 6 (the yahoo years) for the first time since yahoo screen was a thing, and ol Matt Berry himself shows up as a teacher in S6E9 as a guy who teaches a class about grifting people. I have no recollection of the episode, but im sure he does well with the material provided

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Brawnfire posted:

"I'm just saying, it's gotten me quite a lot of mileage in the past. I was able to get a gonk droid to tell me every gonk he knew, and then some!"

Goennnnnnnnnkkkeeeh

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Eat This Glob posted:

I really needed some TV comfort food so I've been rewatching community and im getting to Season 6 (the yahoo years) for the first time since yahoo screen was a thing, and ol Matt Berry himself shows up as a teacher in S6E9 as a guy who teaches a class about grifting people. I have no recollection of the episode, but im sure he does well with the material provided

"you HIT me! with a WOMAN's hand! you midWEStern floozYYYYYYY!"

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Pattonesque posted:

"you HIT me! with a WOMAN's hand! you midWEStern floozYYYYYYY!"

Ha! Yeah, delivered beautifully :allears:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Eat This Glob posted:

Amazing episode

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Seasons 1 and 2 of WWDITS are on Disney+ in Canada!

Toast of Tinseltown is great. I love how absurd it is. Is it only 6 episodes? Toast does seem like less of an rear end this season, but I took it as Hollywood being full of even more terrible and weird people.

Yellow Ant fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 21, 2022

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Yellow Ant posted:

Seasons 1 and 2 of WWDITS are on Disney+!

What country?

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

Sorry - Disney+ Canada.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Yellow Ant posted:

Sorry - Disney+ Canada.

And UK!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

And Finland!

If anyone has Audible, Matt Berry's Toast on Toast is included in the Audible Plus library at least on Audible.co.uk.

I made the mistake of listening to it during my shopping run and people probably think I'm dangerous after I lost my poo poo during the first chapter when Toast tells the story of a misguided charity TV program that ends up with Prince Edward pulling a switchblade on a bunch of journalists and putting several of them in the hospital.

It's amazing, and I am in awe of Matt Berry's ability to add extra syllables to common words like "slogan" and "television".

Link: https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Toast-on-Toast-Audiobook/B016UWQ5SC

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 22, 2022