Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

SlapActionJackson posted:

I executed a tax loss harvest trade last week, looks like I get to do it again this afternoon.

VTI -> ITOT -> VOO Anybody know what should come next if the slide continues?

Just space it out enough to avoid the wash sale rule and you can go right back to VTI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sure, but if the market continues to lose 4% a week, I'm going to TLH all the way down. Need 4 security pairs to do that and cover the full 30 day span.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

IVV, VV, SPY, SPLG... after that the expense ratios start to take off.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

defmacro posted:

w.r.t. TreasuryDirect: I've noticed that 1Password, if used to autofill the username, will autofill the password before the client-side javascript blocks the ability to do that. Not sure if other password managers do this, but I've never had to use the awful keyboard thing.

I have noticed the same thing. Never needed to mess with the Javascript manually.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I executed a tax loss harvest trade last week, looks like I get to do it again this afternoon.

VTI -> ITOT -> VOO Anybody know what should come next if the slide continues?

Space Fish posted:

IVV, VV, SPY, SPLG... after that the expense ratios start to take off.

I'd separate out the S&P based ETFs from the broad market ETFs, although yes, they will be highly correlated.

S&P:
VOO, SPTM (S&P 1500)

broad US market:
VTI, ITOT, SCHB, VONE, SCHX, VV, VTHR

every ticker there follows a different index and has a low ER

bonus, broad developed international tickers:

VEA, SCHF, IDEV, SPDW, IEFA

pmchem fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 21, 2022

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Sure do love watching my entire Roth IRA contribution disappear the week after I made it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

you ate my cat posted:

Sure do love watching my entire Roth IRA contribution disappear the week after I made it.

Hopefully Netflix & Bitcoin will recover by the time you retire next year?

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Motronic posted:

That's great if it works, and I immediately wanted to try it out but just lol:

lol at least they're committed to the bit

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

pmchem posted:

I'd separate out the S&P based ETFs from the broad market ETFs, although yes, they will be highly correlated.

Agreed, but the correlation between them is good enough for my purposes here.

In case it helps anyone else:
pre:
Ticker  Index                    ER (bps)
------  ---------------------    --------
VTI     CRSP US Total Market      3
ITOT    NYSE + NASDAQ + CBOE      3
SCHB    Largest 2500 US Equities  3
VONE    Russel 1000               8
SCHX    DJ Large Cap (top 750)    3
VV      CRSP US Large Cap (581)   4
VTHR    Russel 3000              10

VOO     S&P 500                   3
IVV     S&P 500                   3
SPLG    S&P 500                   3
SPY     S&P 500                   9
SPTM    S&P 1500                  3
So I'll probably do VTI -> ITOT -> SCHB -> SPTM -> SCHX -> VTI ... This way I keep a 3bps ER and worst case am still tracking a top-750 index (i.e. still closer to total market than the VOO I was considering)

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 21, 2022

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

you ate my cat posted:

I have been averaging into my Roth's indexes over time this month and feel some kind of way about everything dipping another 0.60-1.00% per day.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 21, 2022

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Space Fish posted:

I have been averaging into my indexes over time this month and feel some kind of way about everything dipping another 0.60-1.00% per day.

I made my normal purchases and I am sleeping fine.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
cheap stocks today buy some more

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
My strategy of max contributing my IRA in late December and early January is a nice early test of my supposed set it and forget it philosophy. Maybe things will uptick after I finally roll over those my old job retirement funds.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

spwrozek posted:

I made my normal purchases and I am sleeping fine.

yea

pmchem posted:

Jason Zweig of WSJ's Intelligent Investor column picked up the Vanguard target date fund taxable event story that was discussed here some number of days ago:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/vanguard-target-retirement-tax-bill-surprise-11642781228

part of WSJ story:

although what vanguard did is not customer friendly at all, i do seriously question the intelligence of someone holding tdfs in a taxable account

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

although what vanguard did is not customer friendly at all, i do seriously question the intelligence of someone holding tdfs in a taxable account

I'm not familiar enough with the details, is it really that bad a tax drag? Or is there another reason?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well yeah in normal years it's not ideal to have taxable bonds in a taxable account. Target Date Funds also rebalance on their own so it creates even more taxable events. It took me about an hour of research to learn to avoid those funds in my taxable account before I started investing. The tax drag isn't usually that bad but it was a really weird year with these funds.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Just about any financial advice around TDFs will say they are best kept in a tax-advantaged account. No one should use a prospectus to issue warnings about tax drag.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pokeyman posted:

I'm not familiar enough with the details, is it really that bad a tax drag? Or is there another reason?

to maintain proportions of underlying funds in accordance with the fund's objectives, the fund constantly rebalances by selling the underlying funds. this creates capital gains that incur taxes in taxable accounts.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This particular Middle Finger to small investors wasn't a rebalance though, it was a shuffle due to the influx of Institutional shareholders.

The irregularity of it, and the huge capital gains dividend, is why they gave ~6 weeks of advance notice

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

On the other hand everyone including small investors will have the lower ER fees so that's a win

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It'll pay for itself in no time!!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm sure it's a small fraction of people that put it in their taxable. The rest of us win!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This particular Middle Finger to small investors wasn't a rebalance though, it was a shuffle due to the influx of Institutional shareholders.

The irregularity of it, and the huge capital gains dividend, is why they gave ~6 weeks of advance notice

yeah, i'm aware, but the rebalances are why you shouldn't keep that poo poo in taxable accounts anyway

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I've honestly never even heard of someone investing in target funds outside of tax protected accounts. I suppose it might be a thing for folks that already have all their IRAs/401ks maxed. Still a little irritating to see the big rich eating the small rich again and again.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Agreed, but the correlation between them is good enough for my purposes here.

In case it helps anyone else:
pre:
Ticker  Index                    ER (bps)
------  ---------------------    --------
VTI     CRSP US Total Market      3
ITOT    NYSE + NASDAQ + CBOE      3
SCHB    Largest 2500 US Equities  3
VONE    Russel 1000               8
SCHX    DJ Large Cap (top 750)    3
VV      CRSP US Large Cap (581)   4
VTHR    Russel 3000              10

VOO     S&P 500                   3
IVV     S&P 500                   3
SPLG    S&P 500                   3
SPY     S&P 500                   9
SPTM    S&P 1500                  3
So I'll probably do VTI -> ITOT -> SCHB -> SPTM -> SCHX -> VTI ... This way I keep a 3bps ER and worst case am still tracking a top-750 index (i.e. still closer to total market than the VOO I was considering)

Ooooo this is my opportunity to get out of the FSKAX i regretted buying

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
It's good on the sense that the fund is now balanced the way it's supposed to be.

The cap gains payout is completely offset by an instant drop in the price of the fund, it's a neutral event other than it being potentially taxable. From the outside it looks like the fund dropped a bunch of you don't know what's happening.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

pmchem posted:

Jason Zweig of WSJ's Intelligent Investor column picked up the Vanguard target date fund taxable event story that was discussed here some number of days ago:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/vanguard-target-retirement-tax-bill-surprise-11642781228

part of WSJ story:

lol, this guy was fishing around in the bogleheads forum a few days ago on the topic

at least someone's speaking truth to power i guess

caluki
Nov 12, 2000
Very basic Roth IRA question, but just want to make sure this is correct: If you had a gross salary of 149k, and plans to max a traditional 401k (20,500) in 2022. MAGI would be reduced to 128.5k and therefore below the 129k limit to also a max a Roth IRA without the need to backdoor. Right?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Turns out my wife was one of the holders of Vanguard TDFs in taxable accounts. She doesn't have a 401k option so once she maxed out her IRA space she just kept doing the same thing in a taxable account. Our finances are semi-separate so I never noticed but to be fair, I don't think I would have known it was potentially dangerous either. Balance wasn't crazy high so it shouldn't be a huge problem but pretty annoying.

Jows
May 8, 2002

caluki posted:

Very basic Roth IRA question, but just want to make sure this is correct: If you had a gross salary of 149k, and plans to max a traditional 401k (20,500) in 2022. MAGI would be reduced to 128.5k and therefore below the 129k limit to also a max a Roth IRA without the need to backdoor. Right?
What if you get a bonus or a raise?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

Turns out my wife was one of the holders of Vanguard TDFs in taxable accounts. She doesn't have a 401k option so once she maxed out her IRA space she just kept doing the same thing in a taxable account. Our finances are semi-separate so I never noticed but to be fair, I don't think I would have known it was potentially dangerous either. Balance wasn't crazy high so it shouldn't be a huge problem but pretty annoying.

I was gonna say maybe fix it in future years by converting to a ETF version, but I assume that would hit you (her) with a capitol gains tax.

I’m not where I have taxable accounts yet, but I don’t think I really knew about it until others were posting about it here in just the past few months.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I was gonna say maybe fix it in future years by converting to a ETF version, but I assume that would hit you (her) with a capitol gains tax.

I’m not where I have taxable accounts yet, but I don’t think I really knew about it until others were posting about it here in just the past few months.

Yeah, we've changed future contributions to be other stuff but not sure what / if anything to do about the existing money, though if stonks keep going down maybe we could sell to move it and book a loss?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can also turn off the automatic dividend reinvestment and contribute to other.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Duckman2008 posted:

There are no equivalent ETF shares for the TDF funds, so she'd have to sell shares and trigger capital gains. If you wanted to convert an index fund to ETF (for a fund that is actually eligible) it would be a nontaxable event. It's actually quite easy to do.

Honestly, it's not a big enough deal to worry about. It's less tax efficient than a perfectly designed multi-location (taxable/roth/traditional, etc) portfolio, but you could do much worse. At least it's not active funds that throw off huge capital gains distributions every year.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Sorry, it's my fault, everyone. I cashed out my Vanguard TDFs last year to buy a house. I figured if I was going to have to pay capital gains so should the rest of America.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Thufir posted:

She doesn't have a 401k option so once she maxed out her IRA space she just kept doing the same thing in a taxable account.

Not really helpful now, but would an i401k have been a good option here?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Salami Surgeon posted:

Ah OK. I think I see what you mean

:words:

I think I got it!

Retirement Projector Estimator

If anything this graph shows how important it is to start investing early. Or you will miss out on the magic of compounding interest and basically have to keep working. Get in early!

I want to include social security income along with withdrawals for retirement but I'll work on that later this weekend.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Harveygod posted:

Not really helpful now, but would an i401k have been a good option here?

She’s a w-2 employee for an couple small businesses that don’t offer any 401k options, not self-employed so I don’t think she qualifies for that, though I haven’t looked into it super much.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

caluki posted:

Yes, 401k deferrals lower your MAGI and open up eligibility for front-door roth contributions. However, if you're that close to the edge the usual advice is to go ahead and back-door the contributions anyway since it's pretty easy. That way, if you end up earning more than you expected and over the limit, you don't have to re-characterize the contributions and backdoor them after the fact - that's a bigger pain.

But you should also be aware that congress is looking to close the backdoor loophole. IMO, there's no chance BBB passes at this point, but if the dems try to chop it up and pass smaller chunks of it, killing backdoor roths might still happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I'm looking to make higher returns on my general savings fund and am unsure where to put it. My retirement contributions are swell, I have money to cover 6+ months of expenses, etc and am otherwise in great financial shape. Money saved above the emergency fund and day to day expenses is sitting in a "high rate" bank account that earns 1% on balances up to $10k, and 0.1% above that. I have just over $10k in it, so the marginal interest rate for new deposits is pretty low. It's not money that I need, but it will could be used to fund a new car in a few years, or be part of a down payment if and when we move houses some day, or similar. As such my risk tolerance is moderate to low. It also has an uncertain time horizon because my car could get totaled tomorrow and I might decide I want to jump on a new car immediately, or I could get 5 more years out of it, for example. My expectation is that the money will be sitting for at least a few years, though.

I was thinking of moving that fund to a bond ETF or mutual fund. I have my eye on the Vanguard tax-free bond mutual fund for MA, which is where I live. There's also some junk bond mutual funds for higher returns but those may be too risky for me.

Would an investment vehicle such as this be appropriate for the non-specific savings I have, or should I stick to a bank account or CD? Another question is what happens to bond prices if, as expected, the fed rate starts rising this year. My understanding is that they generally go down in value when that happens, but because I would be investing in a bond index fund, I'm not sure what the effect would be.