Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BMan posted:

On-site refining with a driller: Easy Money
With an engineer: RollerCoaster Tycoon
With neither: Hell

Yeah, I think this is why I didn't understand people complaining about that game mode. I always do it with a buddy where we tend to be an engineer and digger combo, so it's just chill fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
on site refinings where the driller doesn't just dig straight tunnels directly to the pumpjacks are just a waste of everyone's time

the ideal division of labor on an on site refining is the driller immediately carving up the landscape and everyone else doing the scut work of finding nitra, secondaries, and laying pipe in the drill tunnels

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Dogen posted:

Maybe your 4th friend sucks

It's more likely we all suck. We're all old as balls, and Haz 3 is as much as my friends can handle. I'll jump into pub games at Haz 4 and 5, but my friends would just get blasted. I'm too poo poo to carry a H4/5 with them along for the ride.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
If a driller digs direct tunnels on refining missions I simply build around those tunnels because I want dumb roller coaster pipes.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Is there any good lightning engineer setup, or does it really rely on synergy with other players? Both of the SMG overclocks with all the lightning-focused tier options chosen seemed pretty underwhelming.

i use stubby with the turret arc oc with breach cutter with return to sender its a very area of denial type play style. when a wave comes down ill drop my two turrets with them both facing inward towards each other then ill throw some stubby shots or a breach cutter into a big wave and then electric my turrets when the wave gets close. it works very well on dreadnauts esp if you have a scout emp inbetween the turrets so they dreadnaut basically sits still. it lets you keep your turrets arced and let you fire your cutter into the dread when armor breaks

the only down side is if your not solo or your not in a group who knows to hang near your turrets it loses alot of its luster and the lok1 build will do better.

another thing is you can just arc your turrets and play jump rope with the horde. and you dont even need to fully deploy your turrets so if they ran out of ammo or its the initial haz 4 / haz 5 steping out of the pod wave you can get alot done just keeping them arced. arcing them can be annoying sometimes your stubby doesnt have a 100% chance

Bumper Stickup posted:

If a driller digs direct tunnels on refining missions I simply build around those tunnels because I want dumb roller coaster pipes.

as a driller if someone wants to build a roller coaster i let them i just go back to getting every single chunk of mineral possible. I like to build all 3 pipes in one big line next to each other sometimes i dont care if they would of been 1/8th as long if i let them go seperate directions.

snergle fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 24, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Bumper Stickup posted:

As a driller I will make those direct tunnels for convenience but if everyone wants silly/crazy straw pipes I'm not gonna complain at all.

e;
it'd be funnier too if you snake the pipes to criss cross around the direct tunnel or even go in the reverse direction through the tunnel.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I like doing crazy pipelines especially for missions that require gunk seeds, that way you can just dump a seed to a pipeline and you've got an easy way to quickly gather them back to the base.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Coolness Averted posted:

What classes are you playing? And is it on difficulty 1 or 2? Luckily even if no one makes it to the escape pod you'll still get credit for completing a mission.
I also strongly suggest having a digger when duoing, since you can just ignore Molly's path and dig straight to the drop pod.

Sorry for the late reply. Partner is playing only gunner, she is not a gamer but tries her best. I play solo; I went Gunner, Driller, then Scout to promotion, and I'm just playing as Engineer now. Got a few overclocks spread over chars, but I am hitting the resources wall of new weapons and their upgrades vs. forging stuff.

I go:
Gunner / Driller - A Rank - functional and survivability, great equipment. Take gunner first so you can feel the joy of drilling smooth paths through walls after learning pickaxing and ziplining.
Scout - B Rank - Fun, great equipment, great once you have better feel for the game but prepare to get cocky and die falling, can't cling but lights up!
Engineer - C Rank - Starting shotgun is a finger breaker and grenade launcher is best used for flea killing, sentries are a bit of a pain (I would like a Roland/Ashton Borderlands turret system, limited time/life.) Platform maker is great unless it is lovely map.

Some generated maps are just terrible, and nothing ruins enjoyment more than hitting the heartstone as you watch your partner fruitlessly spray the high ceiling for a cave leech that will down her next. My Engi had Quick revive in it's one slot.

Just some thoughts/complaints, never know who's listening on these forums. I did end up buying the game to support it and have got my moneys worth.

edit: Levels
2-Player 2-3
Solo 3-4 gave up on Lethal as I got new missions and haven't tried again.

HAmbONE fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 24, 2022

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

snergle posted:

I like to build all 3 pipes in one big line next to each other sometimes i dont care if they would of been 1/8th as long if i let them go seperate directions.

making the pipes go the majority of their length next to each other is very good, even if that makes the pipes much longer. Especially if there is a big open part you can defend easily and you route them through, I much prefer liquid missions to defend away from the minehead. Without the little popguns like point extracts, there's almost no good reason to be around there, you just get bugs hitting you from underneath the grating and other stuff

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Liquid Morkite sucks if you don't have a good driller, and also if the secondary is gunk seeds on a super vertical map, but otherwise building stuff is fun

ppl always get way too invested in the secondaries. just don't do em if they aren't fun imo. I only do them passively and just keep an eye out when nearing the end if i want to actively look about.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Homeless Friend posted:

ppl always get way too invested in the secondaries. just don't do em if they aren't fun imo. I only do them passively and just keep an eye out when nearing the end if i want to actively look about.
From a pure mechanics point of view, once you've promoted every class (and can thus bring them on deep dives, get overclocks etc) there's no point to xp, so you can just skip secondaries whenever you want.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

cage-free egghead posted:

I like doing crazy pipelines especially for missions that require gunk seeds, that way you can just dump a seed to a pipeline and you've got an easy way to quickly gather them back to the base.

On vertical maps those pipes can be used as safe jump-off points too, if you can nail your landing on a pipe while holding E you can land on them from literally any height and survive. Saved my dumb driller rear end a few times.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

HAmbONE posted:

grenade launcher is best used for flea killing

:bighow:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

The feeling of nailing that small blue dot with hyper propellant

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kitfox88 posted:

The feeling of nailing that small blue dot with hyper propellant FAT BOYS

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I got one of the annoying bugs!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Zephro posted:

From a pure mechanics point of view, once you've promoted every class (and can thus bring them on deep dives, get overclocks etc) there's no point to xp, so you can just skip secondaries whenever you want.

They still matter for milestones to get perk points, if you haven't grabbed everything you want already. Eventually those run out too though.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

You know what secondary I’d love to see next update? A heavy duty rivet gun to nail the bugs to the walls Deep Rock style. (For the engie, or scout maybe)

It makes me sad whenever I accidentally nail a ceiling grunt with my flare gun and both the corpse and my flare fall to the ground in slow motion.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
When they add utility OCs or sidegrades the flare gun absolutely needs one that makes it either stick to bugs (turn steeve into a portable light) or spear them with style.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

LOK-1 with Electro-Chemical Rounds + Electric Generator Mod, and/or Breach Cutter with High Voltage Crossover OC

Unfortunately lightning isn't a very good element to build around. Nothing is especially weak to it and it doesn't have any strong synergies like fire & cryo.

Have lightning and chem work the same way as cryo and fire, call it septic shock.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Fishstick posted:

When they add utility OCs or sidegrades the flare gun absolutely needs one that makes it either stick to bugs (turn steeve into a portable light) or spear them with style.

Are additional modifications in the works for utility tools?? That'd be sweet.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Everyone yelling at me because I always run the disco modifier on my flaregun, but I'm too busy being funky to listen.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

cage-free egghead posted:

Are additional modifications in the works for utility tools?? That'd be sweet.

As far as we know, no, just another set of secondaries, but there's no sign that the game is going to stop seeing active development any time soon either.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Grapplejack posted:

Have lightning and chem work the same way as cryo and fire, call it septic shock.

:vince:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm a little scared to think about what an unstable zipline overclock would do.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

rocket ziplines for super fast ascent

the rockets can't turn off so descent is super slow instead

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shifty Pony posted:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Shifty Pony posted:

For the brave, the Zipline of Death thread is in the goldmine.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Shifty Pony posted:

goofy_scream.aiff, hopefully
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUL5w91dzbo

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't think about my turrets much. I take two turrets, more ammo, and stun. I set them up to basically cover eachother and stall out bugs as they come in and do chip damage. It seems to work pretty well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hwurmp posted:

If the rockets can't turn off then we should get a repeat of the thread Father Windingo mentioned.

Leaving looney tunes style dwarf-shaped holes when you make the mistake of firing 40m at 40° down.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I don't think about my turrets much. I take two turrets, more ammo, and stun. I set them up to basically cover eachother and stall out bugs as they come in and do chip damage. It seems to work pretty well.

Quick deploy is indispensable imo, especially since the +ammo alternative only gives you the same +90 you already got from "choosing" Geminis (it's not really a choice). It's a fairly low increase compared to many weapons' ammo upgrades, while quick deploy is one of the best changes you can make to your turret (after Gemini and Defender, which, again, are a "choice" in name only). I feel like the only upgrade tier on the turret where you can truly do whatever you want is row three. Like, sure, you can technically do whatever you want as long as you take Defender, but if you want those turrets to pull their weight the whole mission it's 12X1 ride or die.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I run +ammo on the gemini, it's still like +25% which can totally be felt after a few resupplies. Well, I run it on some of my loadouts, the less mobile ones. I feel it's a good choice! Unlike many of the tiers, which I agree are cut&dry.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

That is true! I guess I should have added the caveat that I think it's 12X1 ride or die if you're going to stick to a single build. If you tweak on a per-objective basis (I only bother with special builds for Extermination and Data Rack) then I'm sure ammo is great for all the stand-your-ground mission types.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I've found the single gun ain't bad at least in 3 star missions. It doesn't have the same damage output as gemini but seems to have better tracking, can fully rotate, and doesn't chew through ammo.
Also fun tip: engineers can refill eachother's guns.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 25, 2022

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I admit that I hate turret classes in games so I play engineer with the turrets built completely so that I have as little babysitting of the machines as possible. One turret, fast deployment, 360 FOV, etc. I drop my turret when it seems necessary using as little brainpower as possible and recall it when it's not needed.

I'm sure at the very highest levels this is a terrible build, but I routinely run haz5 with haz4 as my chillout zone and I always equal the other engineers in killcount, and we never struggle in situations where the turret system is doing heavy lifting.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You don't really need to think with defender system, just place it against a wall or towards where you're going to be.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Hwurmp posted:

Extra secure attachment: you can't be knocked off until you get to the end. You can't choose to get off either, and nor can you change direction. So you're barrelling towards that Bulk Detonator whether you want to or not

Remove safety cutoffs: you can fire a zipline at any angle, but it's one use only, and if another dwarf jumps on it at the same time the line can't take the weight and collapses

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Safety Harness: Steeve can also ride the zip line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Steeve must always ride the zipline