Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

rednecks have a superhuman tolerance for getting really sweaty and rubbing grease all over their faces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for calling my dad a loser because he is refusing to pay for college?

Investment is basically just gambling for rich people, and the cardinal rule is that you never gamble anything you can't afford to lose.

Dad is both an rear end in a top hat and an idiot, decent odds his "stocks" are actually cryptocurrency or even an NFT and he can't liquidate the remaining 32k even if he wanted to.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Boiled seafood is better :colbert: you all that good-rear end seasoning in the flesh. Y'all eating some bland-rear end crustaceans.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Putting tail-shell shrimp in stir fries, bouillabaisse, and so on is the act of an utter monster. That inch of carapace adds nothing to the flavor of the dish and does require me to either get food on my hands or crunch through inedible material.

Thank you for listening to my rant.

In a lot of East Asia they just eat it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can make a fantastic bisque with just lobster shells; if someone is tossing shell w shells in a dish and it comes out bad, that's entirely on the cook.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Investment is basically just gambling for rich people, and the cardinal rule is that you never gamble anything you can't afford to lose.

Dad is both an rear end in a top hat and an idiot, decent odds his "stocks" are actually cryptocurrency or even an NFT and he can't liquidate the remaining 32k even if he wanted to.

According to a comment by OP, he's playing with options.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You can make a fantastic bisque with just lobster shells; if someone is tossing shell w shells in a dish and it comes out bad, that's entirely on the cook.
Oh, yeah. When we were younger and had plenty of time, whenever we had shrimp from scratch, we always saved the shells and made stock. Also, the local grocery store sold lobster bodies for a quarter each (they sold the tails at market price), and oh man, that lobster stock.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Dramatika posted:

:murder:

The comments on this seem to be split between telling his mom and pressing charges

Seems to me if she presses charges, the police get to tell dudes mom

What a piece of poo poo though

Comedy third option is retaliating with an Icyhot handjob and telling him "it's just a prank bro! Calm down"

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Comedy third option is retaliating with an Icyhot handjob and telling him "it's just a prank bro! Calm down"

I was gonna say IcyHot in the jockstrap but your method is way better

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Xakura posted:

As far as I understand (which isn't that much) the timing works out well for going long on GME or AMC and those stocks falling in price recently, instead of the short squeeze skyrocketing the price for unlimited gains as some predict.

Maybe he shoulda stuck to a no-brainer index fund instead of risking his kids entire college fund on fancy gambling.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xakura posted:

So I thought to myself, why shouldn't I financially ruin myself?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

It's a very Singapore thing that you absolutely must try if you're ever there. Also pepper crab.

It is served with a bib. You will need it.

This looks like a reasonably close recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/singaporean-singapore-chili-crab-recipe

Looks like I have a project this weekend!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Just wait until he's asleep and then shove habanero seeds one by one into his urethra until he wakes up.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Just wait until he's asleep and then shove habanero seeds one by one into his urethra until he wakes up.

Two hours later: "He's... still sleeping!!! I don't know if I should stop!? I'm scared"

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for not inviting my father's new gf on a trip with my friends?

quote:

My father(55M) started seeing "Kelly"(25F) recently. Kelly and I attended high school, but never socialized. My parents divorced a year ago and I(25F) found out from social media. My father has been trying to get my brother(23M) and I(25F) to invite Kelly to our activities. He will ask us what we are doing and then ask if Kelly can be invited. Example, we were celebrating my friend's birthday dinner and my father dropped Kelly off at my apartment and insisted that I take her with me. The dinner was very awkward, but my friends did their best and were very nice to Kelly. Kelly spent the entire dinner complaining about having to be there and kept asking if we could leave.

My friends booked a nice weekend for a weekend getaway and had everything planned. We booked a room big enough for 4 people. My father reaches out to me asking what I was doing this weekend and I told him that I was going to visit a friend. My friends posts a picture of us on social media and my father texts me asking why I didn't invite Kelly on the trip. I text back saying maybe because none of us wanted her to come.

I tried to reach out to my father to apologize, but he won't answer any of my texts or calls. Kelly has texted me saying that I hurt her feelings and my father's.

AITA for not inviting my father's new gf on a trip with my friends?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

surely there is some kind of network for young trophy wives to get together and hang out, maybe in a hotel bar downtown or a babysitter's club or something

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hawowanlawow posted:

surely there is some kind of network for young trophy wives to get together and hang out, maybe in a hotel bar downtown or a babysitter's club or something

instagram

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for pricing my custom cakes so high, just to discourage people from asking me for cakes.

quote:

I'm a hobbyist baker but my full time job is engineering consulting. There's more money in the engineering side; when I want to pick up extra hours of work, I'm gonna do engineering work.

But I genuinely like making cakes for friends or for events as a surprise! But I don't always, sometimes I'm just too busy to make one, it's just something I do if I happen to have a free day before a get together.

I like making them as surprises because if I screw them up, there's no pressure to bring something.

But as of recently a bunch of people, have asked me if I can make cakes for different events. And I started just saying no, because I don't have the time. Plus I don't know if I could do designs other people make justice, I really just make whatever I'm feeling and kinda wing it.

But people got so annoyed by that, saying stuff like 'but you made a cake for (other person)" or "I'm not asking for anything hard!"

So I started saying that for special requests, I'm making cakes for commission, and that I can send them my pricing structure if they're still interested.

My pricing structure is really structured around what it would cost to make it worth it to me, to spend a day making a cake instead of spending it on my main job... So my rates are:

Customer pays the cost of ingredients.

A base hourly rate of $150 (Minimum 3 hours)

If the "deadline" is in under 48 hours my hourly rate is $250

Soo... After I set my commission rates, most people will be like "nevermind" when I mention a commission at all, before I even get into prices. With only two exceptions.

My aunt Jess who I'm not really close to came up to me at Christmas and asked me if I could make a cake for her friend's party. I said I'm only doing commission work right now but I could send my pricing breakdown. She said sure then she got really rude saying that my cakes were nowhere near that good to charge that much and that she could get better at the bakery.

I said that she should go to the bakery then, they would have something nice!

She got frustrated with me and said she didn't want a chain store bought cake, and I said there were some non chain bakeries in the nearby city. She said I was missing the point and that my prices were absurd and nobody would pay that. I said that was okay, I had enough business through my main job.

Next my cousin asked me if I could make a cake for her kids birthday party, and I said that I'm only taking commissions. She said that my prices were horrible, for a kids party? I said that kids would like a grocery store cake just as much, I was sure the party would be great whatever cake she got! She said she didn't want a grocery one, she wanted one of my custom designs. I said that seemed like overkill for a kid's party. She said that nothing but the price was overkill and that I was taking advantage.

AITA for "selling" my cakes for so much? ,

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1486007669831917568

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sorry about your re-election

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for pricing my custom cakes so high, just to discourage people from asking me for cakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYMnAUGFuG0

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for refusing to let my daughter move back in with us after she got my husband sent to jail?

quote:

Okay the title might sound bad but idk. So I (36F) and my husband (34m) have a 16 year old daughter. We can call her Lola. Well Lola has not been doing well in school and her dad and I have really been trying to keep her on course with school by reaching out to teachers and making sure homework and assignments have been getting done. Lola fights and resists every little thing we try to do to help her stay on track. She skips school, gets bad grades and all in all would just rather fart around with her friends. I get it, typical teen stuff. Now the issue stands that my husband is a marijuana smoker. he uses it for his depression. We also live in a state where marijuana is heavily illegal. Lola is aware of his weed use and we had a nice long discussion about it and everything was cool. Until the day came that we found out that Lola had been caught skipping school and was shoplifting at the local store. We had had it and we took away all of her electronics. Phone, computer, tv. Everything. She screamed and cried and threw stuff and told us she hated us in her rage. She went to her room for the night and we didn’t hear anything from her until the next day. Things were quiet and I figured she was going to try and be better at school so she could get her stuff back. Only to our surprise a few days later we had several police knocking on our door saying they were here from a tip they had gotten from Lola’s school about her telling the counselor that her dad was smoking pot and abusing her. Yes he smokes pot but we do not abuse her. Well the police searched our house and found all of his stuff. He was arrested and had to spend 90 days in jail for drugs and child endangerment. The state took Lola away from me and sent her to live with my mom as I was deemed a neglectful mother. I was sent to court for the abuse allegations and I spent a weekend in jail for it and now I am on a 6 month probation and I have to see a counselor twice a week. I have been working my job 40-50 hours a week to maintain my bills while my husband is in jail as he lost his job and won’t have one when he gets out. I have been getting texts and phone calls from Lola saying she can’t wait until she can come back home with us and that loving with my mom has been a night mare. I finally told her that I would have to think about her coming back to live with us after what she did. She said she only did it because she was mad at us and that she didn’t mean for him to go to jail and that I was being unfair to her by not wanting her to come back home to live with us. She has not apologized and I’m torn.

AITA for being hesitant about bringing by daughter back home after she got my husband sent to jail ?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

ad090 posted:

AITA for refusing to let my daughter move back in with us after she got my husband sent to jail?

That certainly is one way to burn down your entire life

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

ad090 posted:

Hmm, you know, I’m not totally sure if I believe the OP on the “of course we don’t abuse our daughter” part.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Lol I mean I know she's 16 but what did she think would happen? I knew adults went to jail for weed and abuse a lot younger than 16.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ad090 posted:

Show those texts to the court as proof that there was no abuse, then don't let her come home anyways because gently caress narcs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
On the subject of surstromming and food chat in general, a big thing with a lot of these delicacies is you have to eat/prepare it certain ways or it just sucks. Vegemite has gone from the classic disgusting weird Aussie food to the big "you aren't eating it right" thing on social media.

To that, apparently no one just eats surstromming out of the can, they chop it up with some onion and eat it on flatbread usually. I'm recalling a decades old episode of Bizarre Foods but the host said the difference between the plain fish and the prepared fish was night and day.

It's the same with a lot of those foods in general. Balut by itself is kind of weird, but you can dip it in certain sauce/seasoning and suddenly it tastes 10x better. Heating it up a bit is also a big part of making it more edible.

Durian smells terrible but you get fresh durian and eat it right away it tastes delicious and creamy. Make some quick batter and fry it then its even better. Meanwhile there's a brand of cheap snack cakes made with Durian that I've tried and literally spit out the moment it hits my tongue.

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS

Is this Grinch slash?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Kurieg posted:

Show those texts to the court as proof that there was no abuse, then don't let her come home anyways because gently caress narcs.

In the comments the OP says they were found guilty of child endangerment because drugs were in the house. So unfortunately that wouldn't change much because of the state's lovely weed laws.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kurieg posted:

from the comments on that thread, apparently the shithole they live in considers the mere presence of illegal drugs in the house to be 'abuse', and since the wife knew about them she was legally culpable too, so it wasn't a matter of the kid claiming they hit her or anything like that, and she couldn't just recant what she said after the cops searched the house and found the weed

the kid can eat poo poo and die though

e: and if the state took her from her parents' home, she can't just go back on a whim

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 25, 2022

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I too fantasize about the elusive Hot Wild Man who somehow manages to not have lovely teeth

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

narc kid is only gonna get better at loving people over

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mr. Lobe posted:

I too fantasize about the elusive Hot Wild Man who somehow manages to not have lovely teeth

"It was your beautiful smile that let me see through that rough, animal exterior and fall in love with the man within."

"Oh, y'like my teeth?" *pops them out* "I made them myself; wild boar, coyote, rabbit, and groundhog. Better'n the originals!"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

hawowanlawow posted:

There used to be, but Hef died and nobody has really taken his place.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hawowanlawow posted:

Are they the sitter or sittee

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

pentyne posted:

To that, apparently no one just eats surstromming out of the can, they chop it up with some onion and eat it on flatbread usually.

The classic way to eat surströmming is to put it in a wrap with boiled potatoes, butter, sour cream and red onions. That way, you can barely taste the fish. The fish itself is mostly salty and gelatinous.

It’s like lutfisk, the stuff you have with it is tasty, and does a good job of hiding the fish.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ad090 posted:

"Sorry honey, ever since you cost your dad his livelihood we just can't afford you anymore"

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The shame I would feel knowing my child was a narc would keep me from having them back.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

While he does steal dental hygiene products, it doesn't mention anything about toilet paper. Thus i must assume the hot cave man does not wipe his rear end, and therefore he is not good boyfriend material.

ad090 posted:

Hoo boy, they're gonna need years of therapy to work past this.

Can she even go back home so soon after being taken from home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I found lutefisk to be unremarkable, taste and texture closer to scrambled eggs than anything else. There are better ways to eat a codfish, but it isn't stunt food, it is just old tyme preserved food that you can do without.

Never had anybody offer me surstromming, or hakarl, or any of the "open under water, out of doors, ideally at a hunting cabin you are renting" kind of foods.

Durian is fine, smells like a hot garbage pit, but an awful lot of the non-city parts of SE Asia smell like hot garbage pits on account of all the hot garbage pits. You get used to it. I suspect that a lot of the durian prejudice is urban looking down on rural.

Brain is awful. curried, deep fried, simmered in milk, pureed and piped into an egg. Every preparation of brain is the worst.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 25, 2022