Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

looks like a show that preserves all the contrivances of a location-based audio drama OP

Don't think actually seeing the things happen will make them interesting or scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Woke up to wooden overcoats season 4 finally being out. :hellyeah:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Len posted:

Woke up to wooden overcoats season 4 finally being out. :hellyeah:

Neat!!!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

If anyone was waiting for a review on the Archive 81 Netflix series, here's mine:

Watch it. NOW.

Completely spoiler free, it's really well done and they swap out auditory weirdness for visual weirdness in a way that feels faithful to the podcast, plus there's a lot of little touches that wouldn't be anything if you hadn't listened to the podcast but are really nice little touchpoints on an emotional level.

That said, also spoiler free, it is not a one to one retelling of the podcast story and they made a lot of really interesting choices with the story and the characters. The casting is also absolutely inspired, just perfect choices top to bottom, and the main cast all turn in terrific performances.

I'm very curious to see where they go with it if it gets renewed for a second season.

One spoiler thing I wished they would have done is specifically connect Kaelego with the "leviathans" concept from the podcast.

There was a couple really interesting lines in the last episode that give me hope though. At one point, Dan specifically comments on the tape he got that Davenport didn't have talking about the end of Samuel's story.

And the comment from Julia about how each other world has its own frequency (or something to that effect) might indicate that whatever world they were accessing wasn't where the leviathans duke it out, and leaves opens the possibility of seeing The City at some point.

Still, that's like inside baseball from someone who has listened to the podcast way too many times. Seriously, if you like horror at all, go check it out.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I heard they straightwashed Melody.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

I heard they straightwashed Melody.

Annabelle asks her about both men and women at one point so she's definitely bi, but yeah she doesn't have an on screen relationship with a woman like she does with guys, though it wouldn't surprise me if they eventually confirm that Melody and Annabelle were former lovers, and with how the series plays with time, that might be an on screen thing who knows.

That's not great but the series focuses way more around Melody than the podcast did, which in the first season was definitely very male driven. I'd be curious to hear the reason behind the change before making any real judgment, could legit be something they couldn't fit narratively without doing something like flipping Dan or Samuel's gender.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is it okay to watch it before I listen to the podcast?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Absolutely, just don't skip season 1 of the podcast if you go back and listen to it, since it ends very differently and would probably make season 2 really confusing.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Show seems to leave behind a lot of the awkward humor that really endeared me to the podcast. It’s well made but so find myself missing some elements of the overall feel of the podcast.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I'm really enjoying the Archive 81 TV show, except I nerd raged hard when Jess referred to a generic 90mm refracting telescope as "an Orion SkyQuest." IT MOST DEFINITELY WAS NOT. An Orion SkyQuest is an 8" dobsonian reflector that wasn't even on the market when the show takes place. I would know, I have one in my goddamn living room.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I enjoyed Archive 81, but man reviewing that footage must have been nauseating. 80% of the time she was filming the ground!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AstroZamboni posted:

I'm really enjoying the Archive 81 TV show, except I nerd raged hard when Jess referred to a generic 90mm refracting telescope as "an Orion SkyQuest." IT MOST DEFINITELY WAS NOT. An Orion SkyQuest is an 8" dobsonian reflector that wasn't even on the market when the show takes place. I would know, I have one in my goddamn living room.

I want to give you a wedgie so bad right now.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Azathoth posted:

I want to give you a wedgie so bad right now.

Perfectly understandable.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ratatozsk posted:

Show seems to leave behind a lot of the awkward humor that really endeared me to the podcast. It’s well made but so find myself missing some elements of the overall feel of the podcast.

Yeah I'm missing something in the tone. And I'm missing Sponsorbot

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah I'm missing something in the tone. And I'm missing Sponsorbot

The thing that the later podcast seasons have that this one did not is that special combination of horror and beauty and wonder. Granted, the first season of the podcast didn't really have that either, but it doesn't feel like they're including that element.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They really went with "that's my dog!"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Honestly I'm just disappointed that it's the first season. I was hoping for something new.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
So did anyone else get to the end of Netflix Archive 81 and find themselves disappointed that Dan didn't pull his hospital gown aside to see an implanted tape recorder? It seemed unlikely for budgetary reasons alone but for a minute there I was really hoping they were fully diving into the weird poo poo.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of, I just finished Archive 81 and wondered if anyone has any recommendations if I enjoyed the creepy, horror, esoteric elements of series 2 and 3 the most. The parts with the rituals and body horror and unknowable beings. I've given TMA a solid try and just can't grok with the way the story is told. Huge fan of limetown, didn't like how tanis and black tapes just kinda goes on forever and never resolves anything.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Speaking of, I just finished Archive 81 and wondered if anyone has any recommendations if I enjoyed the creepy, horror, esoteric elements of series 2 and 3 the most. The parts with the rituals and body horror and unknowable beings. I've given TMA a solid try and just can't grok with the way the story is told. Huge fan of limetown, didn't like how tanis and black tapes just kinda goes on forever and never resolves anything.

A tragedy that TMA didn’t click, but different strokes etc. If there are elements of Tanis/Black Tapes you did enjoy, the first season of Rabbits is nicely self contained and wraps up well. I can only imagine that season 2 will erase my goodwill but season 1 works great as a free standing work.

Old Gods of Appalachia is a pretty solid series that I need to keep up with. The White Vault suffers a bit from questionable prolongation of the series but unlike Tanis it has a definitive end point in the current season.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

You might like Spines, which is about a person waking up post-ritual (in the middle of the messy, bloody remains of said ritual) and having to reverse figure out exactly what happened to everyone else who participated in the ritual (by hunting them down) while a slowly expanding surrealist horror setting develops as weirder and weirder things begin altering reality.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Silt Verses is exactly what you're looking for, and maybe I Am In Eskew (they're by the same person). Definitely check out The Silt Verses first.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Hell yeah, cheers y'all

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

It's absolutely the silt verses.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Silt Verses and Eskew definitely were the ones that first came to mind here too.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I really enjoy Mabel, and it has recently returned from an almost 3 year hiatus. It's a modern take on a fairy tale, the old and horrific kind.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Spines a million times because not enough people are enjoying it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I liked the first season of spines well enough but the first episode of the second season felt like such a complete change from what I found interesting that I couldn't bring myself to keep listening.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

I liked the first season of spines well enough but the first episode of the second season felt like such a complete change from what I found interesting that I couldn't bring myself to keep listening.

That’s fair. I feel it stuck the landing and actually told a full story.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Azathoth posted:

I really enjoy Mabel, and it has recently returned from an almost 3 year hiatus. It's a modern take on a fairy tale, the old and horrific kind.
Awesome, I didn't realize it was back!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Was Mabel the one where it was someone taking care of an old house and there was a parallel fairy world that someone else was trapped in and trying to communicate through? I gave up on it but vaguely remember a bit of it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

That's the one. It's not as polished as some of the others recommended here and the performances are all over the place, but I find it charming in a way that few other podcasts are.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It is a lot weirder than some of the other ones here, but I really enjoyed it.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Watching Archive 81 made me remember a horror podcast I used to listen to that for the life of me I can't remember but I'm hoping someone here will. The basis of it seemed to be using the eyes of dead people to view whatever killed them. It usually involved unexplainable things or demons but had a twist ending that tried to explain that in normal terms. I thought it was the Magnus Archives but reading into that doesn't seem to match up. I remember it being pretty interesting and would like to pick it back up again so I'm hoping someone can decipher it from my vague rear end memories.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ChaosReaper posted:

Watching Archive 81 made me remember a horror podcast I used to listen to that for the life of me I can't remember but I'm hoping someone here will. The basis of it seemed to be using the eyes of dead people to view whatever killed them. It usually involved unexplainable things or demons but had a twist ending that tried to explain that in normal terms. I thought it was the Magnus Archives but reading into that doesn't seem to match up. I remember it being pretty interesting and would like to pick it back up again so I'm hoping someone can decipher it from my vague rear end memories.

I actually think I might know this one, was it Darkest Night? I remember it being really campy but in a way that was still compelling, and the framing narrative was using some kind of device to witness the events of the deceased in some manner, so it might've been that. If so, it's still a fun listen but, uh, just don't expect it to resolve in a satisfactory way :smith:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I believe you are thinking of Darkest Night.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Thank you both. I am pretty sure this is just based on the fact I remember the articles talking up how they recorded it in such a way that benefited headphones using like a fancy manikin head. Though you saying that it doesn't resolve in a satisfying way doesn't exactly sound like a great thing.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Yeah, they used that really fancy recording mic in the shape of a head to give full 360 degree soundscaping. It actually worked pretty good from what I remember.

And what I mean by that is mostly the ending is a bit rushed, it feels like it's building up to another big thing but then everything suddenly gets "resolved" in a final episode even though season 3 didn't really have any signs of being a final season before that point. It's still worth a listen imo if you like campy horror

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Well that's a bit disappointing but I'll probably still give it another go. It was stupid campy fun while being a little creepy so should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mix. posted:

the ending is a bit rushed, it feels like it's building up to another big thing but then everything suddenly gets "resolved" in a final episode even though season 3 didn't really have any signs of being a final season before that point.

We call that Terry Miles-ing