Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have no reference for drinking because I live in Australia and when I realised drinking was ruining my life the response from everyone was "eh, you aren't that bad". Alcoholism is standard here.

But also yeah, Americans are also very prissy about drinking too. I like non alcoholic beers, and I'd be happy to have a six pack for a lazy day. No worse than having a day of soft drinks tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

pentyne posted:

On the subject of surstromming and food chat in general, a big thing with a lot of these delicacies is you have to eat/prepare it certain ways or it just sucks. Vegemite has gone from the classic disgusting weird Aussie food to the big "you aren't eating it right" thing on social media.

I mean I don't know about vegemite specifically, but 'eating it right' for Marmite is just to spread it on toast. It's not hard.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

feedmegin posted:

I mean I don't know about vegemite specifically, but 'eating it right' for Marmite is just to spread it on toast. It's not hard.

In all sincerity, have you not seen how Americans apply condiments? Imagine a 2cm thick slab of marmite on toast and you'll get close.

edit: remembered this gem from the start of the plague

https://twitter.com/tomhanks/status/1239098302294970368?t=u5D21VG8FLszqyhHxGfb8w&s=19

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

feedmegin posted:

Spread it on BREAD!
Spread it on THICK!
Wash it all down with
A cup of cold SICK!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
You should see how much cream cheese Americans think is acceptable on a bagel

It's a truly disgusting amount

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

teen witch posted:

Man, my “foreigners won’t eat this!!!!” experience has been salmiakki, kräftor, and blodpudding.

My parents fed me black pudding when I was about 13 without telling me what it was in advance. I was unimpressed when they told me afterwords. Salmiakki is pretty good, though.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I am guilty of this - my bagels look more like cream cheese sandwiches

they're delicious (to me) :colbert:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my brother's girlfriend what he was planning to do before he passed away?

quote:

My (M17) older brother (M26) passed away 3 weeks ago in an auto accident. It was devastating for the entire family though he was low contact with them for minor disagreements. His girlfriend was the one devastated the most, She didn't eat or take a shower for an entire week. My parents took her in last week because she could no longer afford rent for the apartment she shared with my brother.

Here's the situation, before my brother passed away, I think this took place a month ago. He confined in me his problems with his girlfriend and said he was planning on breaking up with her next month (Jan) I thought that was too much for his girlfriend since she'd always been the one to try to work things out but my brother had issues.

Seeing his girlfriend depressed to the point of losing weight and hearing her break down crying multiple times a day, I decided to sit down and tell her what my brother was planning on doing. I didn't just dish it out on her, I just told her what he told me but she reacted in a very negative way, She had a break down crying and screaming at me. My parents came rushing asking what was happenning and I told them after my brother's girlfriend rushed upstairs. My parents berated me saying I should never have said this to her seeing how breaved and struggling she was. I explained that I felt bad for her and didn't think it was fair for me to hide this important truth from her. They told me i had no right and this was not a good timing...also said that I just made it worse and tainted my brother's memory for her and confused her even more. I got punished harshly but my friends agreed I did the right thing since my brother's girlfriend's situation is just tragic and she needed this piece of info and I was right and considerate to give it to her.

I really think I just let her know this because I felt guilty for hiding the truth from her but I might be TA for what I did.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my brother's girlfriend what he was planning to do before he passed away?

And a great reply:

Commenter posted:

INFO: Are you going back upstairs to kick her later? Might as well.

OP posted:

No, we would never. She is family to us.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I've definitely known people who had a trouble with people drinking around them and could get a bit pushy about it. Pretty much always related to growing up around alcoholism. I don't think that what's going on there and I've never seen anybody be quite that unreasonable, but it could be.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

a podcast for cats posted:

I'm not getting that vibe. Instead I'll try to insinuate that Americans are a bit uptight about drinking which has always been kind of weird.

But, nevertheless, a relationship with that sort of dynamic is unhealthy and they would both benefit from severing.

Let's get a bit of context on that; how many beers do you drink on a typical workday afternoon?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Soylent Pudding posted:

oh my loving god this guy sucks

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Let's get a bit of context on that; how many beers do you drink on a typical workday afternoon?

Because only alcoholics could possibly disagree with you?

I'm also not getting that vibe. I think a lot of posters assume facts not in evidence.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for being angry about my parents and grandparents keeping a secret and hiding a part of our family history from me?

quote:

My grandfather (my mom's dad) passed away recently. After he died my grandmother decided to move into a seniors community. She was moving from a house to a one bedroom flat so there was lots of items she didn't need. The house was pretty full and lived in because she and my grandfather lived in it for like 50 years. When we were going through the attic we found boxes and boxes of old pictures. My grandmother wanted to go through them. In some there were pictures of my mom when she was little and there was a baby in them or a kid younger then her. I asked her who it was because she doesn't have a sister, and she doesn't have any aunts and uncles so no cousins either. My dad said my mom had a younger sister but she died from cot death and to not say anything to my grandmother because it would upset her to talk about especially so close after my grandfather's death. At the time what my parents told me made sense.

After that I helped to move the furniture to her new flat or to sort what she was not keeping. I honestly forgot about the pictures. The next month I found one of my dad with a woman in a bridal grown. It wasn't my mom and I could not figure out why my mom's parent's would have a photograph of my dad at a wedding not to their daughter. My mom was there when I found it and she couldn't explain it then. The next day my grandmother told me the truth when I confronted her. My mom had a sister. She was married to my dad. My dad played away with my mom, who was his wife's sister and I was born from the affair. My dad divorced my mom's sister to be with my mom. My mom's sister went away somewhere else because my grandmother and grandfather wouldn't condemn the divorce and they are estranged and not in contact now for almost 30 years. My dad's parents also knew all of this and didn't tell me. My mom and dad never bothered to get married after his eventual divorce from my mom's sister.

I'm angry that the only family members I have, my parents and both sets of grandparents have kept this from me. I would never have known if I didn't accidentally see those pictures. My grandmother had thought they got rid of all the photographs of my mom's sister. My parents and my other grandparents have admitted this too and told me the same thing as my grandmother. My parents tell me it is none of my concern since it happened before I was born and doesn't affect me. I disagree such a big secret should have been kept from me plus I don't agree with the behaviour of anyone involved in this. Do you believe I'm right to be angry or are my parents and grandparents correct and I'm in error?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It's the cupcakes that I don't understand. Buttercream frosting isn't that nice at the best of times, but I've seen cupcakes which have literally got more frosting than there is cake.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yes, this attitude is almost exactly what I meant, thanks for the helpful example. Cheers even.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, that’s what I thought.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gerblyn posted:

It's the cupcakes that I don't understand. Buttercream frosting isn't that nice at the best of times, but I've seen cupcakes which have literally got more frosting than there is cake.

Instagram destroyed the cupcake as a discrete enjoyable unit of cake. So many of those videos start with a "blorp" of frosting the size of the cupcake itself, which serves as a foundation for more icing decoration, candy, sprinkles, and maybe even a whole cookie or a piece of brittle. It's bad

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Let me just step in and say that anyone continuing the same old Americans vs Australians vs UK drinking derail will have to provide a complete itinerary of all their alcohol consumption for an entire week complete with amounts and times of day due on February 3rd, thank you.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I drink an IPA between 10:30 and 11 pm then fall asleep

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Let me just step in and say that anyone continuing the same old Americans vs Australians vs UK drinking derail will have to provide a complete itinerary of all their alcohol consumption for an entire week complete with amounts and times of day due on February 3rd, thank you.

Mines easy I haven't had any alcohol since the start of the year

Lawyered this up :hehe:

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Mines easy I haven't had any alcohol since the start of the year

Lawyered this up :hehe:

Same, but company Christmas dinner in early December. So, not really that hard to list everything.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for making a joke about my pregnant SIL or is my brother overreacting?

quote:

Throwaway for obvious reasons.

I (32M) am child free. I always thought my little brother would be too, but he actually really likes kids. I always thought my SIL must be behind him feeling like that, but he says he’s the one who really wants them but I don’t know if I believe that honestly.

She’s currently pregnant with their second child and they already have a one year old. They were over to celebrate our dad's birthday and my mom told SIL she was sure she was exhausted and to sit down and rest and not help with the dishes. I fake pouted and jokingly asked why she offered the broodmare rest but not her son who’s been helping her all day. I expected my mom to laugh and sort of swat my shoulder like she usually would, but it was silent.

My brother asked me WTF I just said about his wife. I laughed it off and said to take it easy, it was just a joke. He demanded I explain what was funny about calling his wife a broodmare. By that point I was irritated and said they’re the ones who thought popping out kids close together was a smart idea and at this point that’s what she essentially was. He called me a disgusting immature rear end in a top hat for how I spoke about his wife.

My dad told me to leave and my mom refuses to answer any calls or texts other than once to tell me she was disappointed in me. I really thought my family was just overreacting but now several of my friends are saying I was being an rear end in a top hat to my SIL and that there was no reason for me to say that. I really was just kidding though, am I really the rear end in a top hat just because my joke fell flat?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for making a joke about my pregnant SIL or is my brother overreacting?

quote:

I (32M) am child free.

Didn't have to read past that because there has never been a time in recorded reddit history where that phrase appears and they're NTA

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

axolotl farmer posted:

The classic way to eat surströmming is to put it in a wrap with boiled potatoes, butter, sour cream and red onions. That way, you can barely taste the fish. The fish itself is mostly salty and gelatinous.

It’s like lutfisk, the stuff you have with it is tasty, and does a good job of hiding the fish.

Stuff like this reminds me of the old jokes my gramps would tell about people cooking carp. "Know how you cook carp? Clean it, bake it on a pan in the oven, then chuck the fish & eat the pan"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I had half a pitcher of some cocktail I did not mix and do not know the contents of, and maybe a third of a flask of whiskey, on New Year’s day. Probably a dreg of champagne, too. Nothin since though.

E: oh yeah and a red wine’s glass worth of port, most of which I probably drank after midnight.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 26, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Why is everyone calling me an rear end in a top hat and getting weird just because I called a woman, who is also a wife, daughter, and mother a "broodmare" basically in front of all those relations?

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

If he really meant it as a joke he wouldn't have been so irritated at his brother asking he explain it. :colbert:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Asking someone to explain how and why an offensive joke is funny is one of the greatest tools against assholes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Gather round, y'all, it's time for the comedy workshop with some dipshit rear end in a top hat! He's gonna teach us some funny-rear end misogyny so listen up

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

teen witch posted:

Man, my “foreigners won’t eat this!!!!” experience has been salmiakki, kräftor, and blodpudding.

The first time I tried salmiakki I was pretty sure someone tricked me into eating soap.

But the second time I had it, and knew kind of what to expect, it was pretty good.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The joke's on you, I don't drink.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for making a bake shop re-do my order multiple times?

quote:

I (f29) got married to my partner of three years (m28) last weekend. We wanted our wedding to be untraditional, and we had decided we wanted tiers of cupcakes rather than a normal wedding cake. We married on a Friday, and on the previous Wednesday morning, I went to a local bake shop to pick up my order of 120 cupcakes. I had specified that they were all to be vanilla cupcakes with white frosting in the center that would ombré into the outlines of the cupcakes' frosting which would be black. When I arrived on Wednesday at 7:30 AM, I found that they were nothing like I had ordered. I asked why the frosting on top was completely black, and they said that the cupcakes were filled with white frosting inside and topped with black frosting. I explained how it wasn't what I asked for, and the worker (a probably 70-year-old woman) agreed to have my order redone by that afternoon, except I'd still have to pay part of the price of the first cupcakes since my "directions were unclear."

I reluctantly payed and then came back at 4:30 to yet again find cupcakes that were NOT how I asked. There was no ombré design at all; just a white circle in the middle surrounded by a chunky black outline. I pulled up a picture on my phone of how I had wanted them to look, and to my surprise, some of the workers there were kind enough to stay at work late to fix my order (and this time I didn't have to pay). I assumed they would bake the cupcakes then and call me in the morning, so I was again surprised when they called me that same day at 6:00 to tell me my order was fixed. When I got there, the cupcakes were finally pretty much just as I had imagined them. I asked how they got them done so quickly, and to my shock the said they literally scraped the frosting off the old ones and redid the frosting. "I hope that's okay" says the same 70-year-old lady as earlier (she should've said that they'd do that BEFORE she "fixed" them). Upon further examination, I noticed that there were obvious imperfections in many of the cupcakes, and you could see staining from the original layer of frosting. I did not accept these cupcakes and yet I was told I had to pay FULL PRICE for them because of all the trouble I supposedly caused the workers. I asked if I could talk to the manager about my situation (I promise I'm not a Karen), and lo and behold, I was already talking to her, the 70-year-old woman. I had nothing else to do but pay nearly $200 for nothing.

The next day I found a different bake shop and they completed my order properly first try like any normal bake shop would be expected to do.

AITA for not just accepting them from the first bake shop?

Edit: a lot of people commenting still don't understand what I wanted the cupcakes to look like. This is the photo I sent for reference (it doesn't look great because I had to edit a picture of a plain white-frosted cupcake since I couldn't find any pictures online of what I wanted): https://imgur.com/a/OP52fR9 So basically, all the cupcakes had completely flat frosting with white in the center fading to black on the outside. I thought that made sense but nobody that I saw comment thought anything like this.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

lol at butthole cupcakes

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for getting a non-alcoholic beer at 5PM

Are you all sure you're not reading too much into this guy's girlfriend being annoying? I guess it depends on whether you think "every now and then" means a few times a week or month or a few times a day. IME alcoholics are after putting alcohol in their system, not the taste of beer, which is why alcoholics don't hide bottles of O'Doul's around the house.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my cousin he can’t do an interpretive dance at my dad’s funeral?
And he ran away to start a new life as a dancing pallbearer.

Miserable Maid posted:

My friend has a nude drawing of my GF and is being an rear end in a top hat about it, my girlfriend wants me to to buy it but I can’t afford the price he’s setting.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I feel like you could nip this poo poo in the bud if you tell his teacher that he's getting one of their nude models harassed.
Yeah, I had a little bit of a hard time believing this one, purely because it would be trivially easy for either the model or her boyfriend to get this guy absolutely nuked.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for making a bake shop re-do my order multiple times?

I'm torn. I work with artists doing various illustration for various things. You have to be extremely detailed when communicating what you want.

I can kinda forgive the woman requesting the cakes for not understanding how clear and detailed you have to be. But I can also kinda blame her for not understanding that the cake lady can't read her mind.

Did she post her original instructions? Did she even write them out or did she just vaguely describe what she wanted verbally?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

spacetoaster posted:

I'm torn. I work with artists doing various illustration for various things. You have to be extremely detailed when communicating what you want.

I can kinda forgive the woman requesting the cakes for not understanding how clear and detailed you have to be. But I can also kinda blame her for not understanding that the cake lady can't read her mind.

Did she post her original instructions? Did she even write them out or did she just vaguely describe what she wanted verbally?

She did an online order with incredibly minimal instruction and reveals she didn't give a reference image until after they had redone it twice.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

spacetoaster posted:

She did:

quote:

I said I wanted "120 vanilla cupcakes with white and black vanilla frosting in an ombré pattern with the white in the middle and black on the outside."

And she also said it was an online order. Also they were so important, but she never got any pictures of the final results at the wedding because

quote:

I didn't get many photos at the wedding at all because I wanted to experience the moment rather than having cameras in my face the whole time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Halloween Jack posted:

Are you all sure you're not reading too much into this guy's girlfriend being annoying? I guess it depends on whether you think "every now and then" means a few times a week or month or a few times a day. IME alcoholics are after putting alcohol in their system, not the taste of beer, which is why alcoholics don't hide bottles of O'Doul's around the house.

The line preceding that one is "She claims she doesn't want to be controlling, but every time I go to get a beer I'm always worried I'll be met with rolled eyes, 'how many have you had tonight?'" and I'm struggling to read that in any way that suggests he just drinks a few times a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, details matter here. Though with visual artistry of any kind of can be a bit of a crapshoot. You can provide written and visual reference and the artist will obviously skim or ignore the written details and focus on the visual one, or take one minor detail and get carried away with it until it takes over the whole work.

But then,

Zore posted:

She did an online order with incredibly minimal instruction and reveals she didn't give a reference image until after they had redone it twice.

Yeah, that sounds right.

Preparing the description for a commissioned work is a complex and important task in itself not to be taken lightly.