Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Baker was to ve tippy toe in the new warriors series that got canned for being too gay.

I think he did her voice in those marvel rising movies too.

Though he'll always be Klaus in Americam Dad primarily.

I also really love his Batman in Harley Quinn.

edit: \/ no idea how I got them confused

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Mokinokaro posted:

I also really love his Batman in Harley Quinn.

That‘s Diedrich Bader.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

I've heard the 'wooden door creaking open' clip from Daggerfall in dozens of TV shows, it must be named aaaa_door_open.wav or something.

morrowind was my first so i looked it up and i do recognize the sound at least
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1G7UaywkZY

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Takes No Damage posted:

I've heard the 'wooden door creaking open' clip from Daggerfall in dozens of TV shows, it must be named aaaa_door_open.wav or something.

There are massive sound archives for pretty much everything possible, both licensed and royalty-free. Doing your own foley is complicated and expensive, especially if it's just stuff like doors and footsteps, and gunfire and explosions are notoriously hard to record in any accurate way because they're so loud that the pressure wave has partially passed before the microphone diaphgram has struck the back to record the sound. The famous bank robbery in Heat was filmed like this, and miraculously caught accurate sound, and everyone had to shout their dialogue over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQNBg6I29gI

So unless necessary or demanded by the creator, especially with the low budget of TV, most sound departments just take a file library and make edits as necessary. Pitch, reverb, mixing with other files, etc.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a massive youtube video about the sound effects that get re-used over and over in video game & movies & TV shows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-HUM65Wwig

E: video description has timestamps for each of the SFX, CC shows game/movie titles

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 26, 2022

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Peacemaker tv-series is good, however I want to hear Vigilante's take on how he thinks Blake's 7 really ended.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

There are massive sound archives for pretty much everything possible, both licensed and royalty-free. Doing your own foley is complicated and expensive, especially if it's just stuff like doors and footsteps, and gunfire and explosions are notoriously hard to record in any accurate way because they're so loud that the pressure wave has partially passed before the microphone diaphgram has struck the back to record the sound. The famous bank robbery in Heat was filmed like this, and miraculously caught accurate sound, and everyone had to shout their dialogue over it.

So unless necessary or demanded by the creator, especially with the low budget of TV, most sound departments just take a file library and make edits as necessary. Pitch, reverb, mixing with other files, etc.

this a great scene. we are rooting for the robbers right? because i wanted all those vops to die and not just because of acab, like, they set up a shoot out in the middle of a busyass city. obviously the robbers arent helping but it isnt the robbers job to protect people. neither is it cops, but that illusion is the only reason we let em have guns n poo poo so gently caress all these fuckers getting into gun battles over insured money gently caress off lmao.

oh al pacino actually did save somebody instead of kill or nearly kill them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

quantumfoam posted:

Peacemaker tv-series is good, however I want to hear Vigilante's take on how he thinks Blake's 7 really ended.

You clearly hear a final shot go off after the initial flurry of blasts, clearly Avon got the drop on everybody which explains why he was laughing when initially surrounded as he had a back-up plan, as opposed to him just acknowledging the inevitability of his death and furthermore.... :byodame:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think the HEAT shootout might still be the best filmed shootout I've seen. And yeah, the sound is a huge part of it

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

You clearly hear a final shot go off after the initial flurry of blasts, clearly Avon got the drop on everybody which explains why he was laughing when initially surrounded as he had a back-up plan, as opposed to him just acknowledging the inevitability of his death and furthermore.... :byodame:

Nah...Think Vigilante would go...What the gently caress is blakes seven?
Personally see Vigilante going with :tinfoil: Avon clearly activated the last ditch *secret* jam-all-guns-except-mine device his paranoid rear end had Orac design after Blake vanished, did that laugh, then shot all the frisbee headed blacksuits. The final shot was Avon killing Arlen. :tinfoil:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zzulu posted:

I think the HEAT shootout might still be the best filmed shootout I've seen. And yeah, the sound is a huge part of it

Mann does the same sound thing in Collateral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFPcljAXgs

This is exactly what a gun going off in an empty part of a city sounds like.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Mann does the same sound thing in Collateral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFPcljAXgs

This is exactly what a gun going off in an empty part of a city sounds like.

Yep, gunshot sounds roll. That happens everywhere, but buildings make the echoing more pronounced.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1486083846055604232

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Cena definitely has the chops for comedy and seems like a funny dude.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I watched Collateral because of that clip and lol what a weird movie. baby tom cruise dressed up like old man cruzassin. the last act went kind of nuts and taxi man suddenly became action movie gunfighter.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

I watched Collateral because of that clip and lol what a weird movie. baby tom cruise dressed up like old man cruzassin. the last act went kind of nuts and taxi man suddenly became action movie gunfighter.

I really like Collateral, the nighttime shots of LA are some of my favorites from any movie, but yeah it falls apart pretty quick with any close inspection. For example, the timeline is completely busted. The 2nd guy they kill is a jazz nightclub owner, who they hit after the place is closed, chairs up on tables and everything. At a minimum that would be 3 or 4am but then they still run all over the city, visit Foxx's mom in the hospital, visit some more people and go save his lawyer girlfriend all in the same night? I don't think so :nyd:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
cops pulled over Max and almost politely had him step out of the car and poo poo, never pulled their guns or tased him or bashed him for resisting or whatever. Later he gets into an On Purpose and while recovering from the crash and cop gently tells him he's been in an accident and needs to stay calm and sit down to collect himself. It's not until he sees a body in the trunk that he pulls out his gun. those moments were went they went full fantasy to me.

Also if they didn't say it was LA a few times I'd have assumed it was New York because I got city blindness, poo poo all looks the same to me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/JohnCena/status/1486416248749633536

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So....season 2 announcement?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rhyno posted:

So....season 2 announcement?

Maybe? Whenever Gunn gets the time. He did this in between working on Suicide Squad and GOTG3.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol remember when Gunn was briefly cancelled by Cernovich and then we as a nation were like, you know what: no. (and without his brief cancellation the SS movie and thus the peacemaker show would've never happened. Thanks weird Mike!)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I remember that because it's when I first learned and immediately forgot that james gunn is not kirk from gilmore girls. i remember that itself only long enough to share that anecdote and promptly return to believing them to be the same person and wow what a blowup from the goober of stars hollow to comicbook media darling.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

cops pulled over Max and almost politely had him step out of the car and poo poo, never pulled their guns or tased him or bashed him for resisting or whatever.

Also Mark Ruffalo's whole character. "Oh huh I think I remember this weird case from years ago where a cab driver drove around and assassinated like 6 high value targets in one night then drove himself to the airport and commit suicide :downs: " Sure you do Mark, sure you do.

Khanstant posted:

Also if they didn't say it was LA a few times I'd have assumed it was New York because I got city blindness, poo poo all looks the same to me.

Fewer palm trees in NY. That scene where they stop and some coyotes run across the street while Chris Cornell sings at them is :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX9JNJThhxY

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

No way - he's one of the best parts and I was miffed he got killed off.

Hah! Glad to see another guy out there. Also, as someone who has read and always enjoyed Suicide Squad comics extra dirtbag Captain Boomerang is like one of the essential members. His brief moments loving with the new recruits was gold.

Oh man that is nice. Glad to see something this good get some notice. Have a feeling John Cena will NOT be going back to wrestling anytime soon and good for him. Seriously his delivery is amazing and guy is a natural comedian as well as grand in action scenes. Guy was pre-made for Super Hero comedies. Always glad seeing Gunn get success and praise.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Spacebump posted:

The Suicide Squad didn't do well and I feel like I've seen 0 ads for this show.

Shageletic posted:

There's only been one release. I've already talked to someone in the wild about the show. Give it time.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't know when they usually drop but ep5 just showed up on my feed. GO GO GO!

e:

Mover posted:

what happened to the escaped gorilla on the news in his dad’s apartment? whither chekov’s great ape??

Soooooooooooo yeah, about this... 😬

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 27, 2022

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Never though I'd see Steve Agee backstab an alien-possessed gorilla with a loving chainsaw.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The ending to the episode oh Jesus please be a fake-out and Murn explains he's like a... good parasite inhabiting a human brain....?

Episode was wonderful, and I loved how the team bonded over chainsawing a gorilla to death :allears:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Hipster Occultist posted:

Never though I'd see Steve Agee backstab an alien-possessed gorilla with a loving chainsaw.

his fieldwork so far has been amazing, much better than his powerpoint

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I feel like this episode would've made for a fine and surprising reveal to us the audience of what's up with Murn. It'd certainly be more shocking and out of nowhere than doing it earlier. I wonder what the reasoning was for doing it that way when they were basically going to end an episode with that surprise (and have it be more impactful as it involves another character finding out) anyway.

Also there's no way we're getting a lot of complexity about what's up with the Butterflies. In retrospect, I was way overestimating how cerebral this show was going to get.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I need even more footage of John Cena randomly listing dozens of people.
Now I wonder if that whole tirade and the reaction shots were completely scripted or if they improvised some of that. Either way Incredible well done acting there. Cena has great comedic timing.
I also loved the end scene where John loudly objects to a dead guy, after Chris just listed like a dozen fictional characters. Sure that guy is less believable than Ernie or Bert. Ariana Grande does look to innocent, though.

By the way, it's sort of weird to have a character with the same first name as the main actor.

Also, with that new police chief, everyone from the intro is now in the show.
Another great moment was when in contrast to Peacemaker, Detective Song was unable to come up with more than three white guys. She seems great, and good at her job, but just not as good at these verbal battles.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 27, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eat peace motherfucker :911:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

cant cook creole bream posted:

By the way, it's sort of weird to have a character with the same first name as the main actor.

The character has had that name for 35 year already. :ssh:
https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/John_Economos_(New_Earth)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The character has had that name for 35 year already. :ssh:
https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/John_Economos_(New_Earth)

Yeah, I figured. He was also around in the movie, before Cena became the capital Main Character. On the other hand, Cena had that name longer than that. :colbert:
Well, I just have to use Felix Cena now, that sure rolls off the tongue.

If I ever write a story, I'll just have three central characters randomly share their first name. No deeper meaning or reason for learning to know each other. Just the occasional clarification, which one is meant. That's so rare in fiction, that it will be groundbreaking!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 27, 2022

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Team bonding felt very unsubtle but I enjoyed it. Loved the Charlie payoff.

NowonSA posted:

I feel like this episode would've made for a fine and surprising reveal to us the audience of what's up with Murn. It'd certainly be more shocking and out of nowhere than doing it earlier. I wonder what the reasoning was for doing it that way when they were basically going to end an episode with that surprise (and have it be more impactful as it involves another character finding out) anyway.

Also there's no way we're getting a lot of complexity about what's up with the Butterflies. In retrospect, I was way overestimating how cerebral this show was going to get.
Yeah I think it was good for pacing to have the twist in the last episode to make it feel more significant, but this cliffhanger ending mid-moment feels like a repeat AND pretty much confirms he's going to talk it out or something, but not kill her. (Otherwise that would've been the cliffhanger.)

I'm invested either way though. Show good!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

You have no conception of how incredibly loud a gun going off inside the cab of a vehicle is until you've heard it. Firing an automatic inside would be insane, it hurts just watching that part.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
🧜‍♂️

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We're the 11th Street Kids now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

I need even more footage of John Cena randomly listing dozens of people.

Make sure you watch the post credits scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

CODChimera posted:

his fieldwork so far has been amazing, much better than his powerpoint

he did an excellent job with that powerpoint, it was sincere without being kitschy. truly the econogoat.