Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nothingtoseehere posted:

:ssh: I think he's being sarcastic :ssh:

:negative:

ChaseSP posted:

Love how we've come full round to setting up quick standardized encampments in modern warfare in an very similar fashion to Roman card camps.

It's very cool, I'm hoping that star forts come back around within my life time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The circumstances that led to star forts were so specific to the weaponry available at the time that I'm not sure they're ever coming back. But, if we ever again hit a situation where we can have fortress walls that can withstand artillery and the primary concern is maintaining line of fire on infantry, then the star will be ready for us

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ChaseSP posted:

Love how we've come full round to setting up quick standardized encampments in modern warfare in an very similar fashion to Roman card camps.

it never really left

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wow, thank you for all of the replies everyone! I was not expecting such a response. That is all incredibly useful info! I wont get to go through it in fine detail until later after work but I'm excited to have so much to work with.

Re: Greece and Anatolia also being mountainous - of course, but they received more focus and detail in the education I've received and the historical stuff I've read on those areas. Therefore I had a better idea about how to handle them when setting up their regions for the map I'm making. On the other hand, I knew pretty much nothing about Persia in comparison and I was having bad luck researching - like Tulip said the map I used as an example did a bad job showing me what I was looking for, while Tulip and Slim Jim Pickens' maps and info do a way better job showing me what I'm looking for.

It's worth noting that of the 4 ancient empires based in modern day Iran, two of them weren't Persian, specifically the Medes and the Parthians.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Weka posted:

It's worth noting that of the 4 ancient empires based in modern day Iran, two of them weren't Persian, specifically the Medes and the Parthians.

The Parthians are kind of a sister group, though, and were heavily integrated with local Persian elites in Parthia, which they had settled peacefully. Most of our sources on them are also Sasanian and they pretty regularly denigrate their predecessors in order to establish their right to rule and Achaemenid bona fides. The Arsacids/Parthians are pretty unique and not really "Persian" in the same sense as the Achaemenids but were certainly more "Persian" than the Seleukids they overthrew.

The Medes predate the Achaemenids and their relationship and identity is harder to pin down. There was a lot of cultural exchange between the Medes and the people who would become the Persians and the Achaemenids adopted a lot of practices from them. I think by the time of the Seleukids the difference between Medes and Persians are pretty irrelevant.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Parthially Persian

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
By my understanding it's not even clear who the descendants of the ancient medes even are, presuming they still exist as an identifiable ethnic group today. They're plausibly the Kurds but it isn't a sure thing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i would be really surprised if any modern ethnic group was distinctly "medean", they essentially assimilated with the persians. similar to the many ancient ethnic groups which contributed to the Han identity

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

FishFood posted:

The Arsacids/Parthians are pretty unique and not really "Persian" in the same sense as the Achaemenids but were certainly more "Persian" than the Seleukids they overthrew.

Seleukids these days, they don't even know the meaning of the word "Persian"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Xenophon met a group called the Kardouchoi in the right part of the world which is competing for being the ancient Kurds, too

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

FishFood posted:

I think by the time of the Seleukids the difference between Medes and Persians are pretty irrelevant.

I'm sure there was a great deal of cultural interchange but even as late as the Sassanid empire Medes typically fought as infantry while the Persians had a strong cavalry tradition.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Fuschia tude posted:

Seleukids these days, they don't even know the meaning of the word "Persian"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

The circumstances that led to star forts were so specific to the weaponry available at the time that I'm not sure they're ever coming back. But, if we ever again hit a situation where we can have fortress walls that can withstand artillery and the primary concern is maintaining line of fire on infantry, then the star will be ready for us

Well, what we really need is indirect fire and ideally explosive shells to go away. A big enough berm will probably still do quite well against direct fire but it's not doing you much good if your opponent can lob a shell right over it that goes boom (and that's before we get into aircraft, cruise missiles, ballistic missiles etc etc).

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Implausibly effective laser point defence would do the trick.

Actually there's a lot of star forts in sci-fi illustrations...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ChaseSP posted:

Pretty much the whole idea of a 'modern' army was basically reinventing what the Romans figured out. Standardisation is incredibly powerful.

FMguru posted:

What's interesting (IMHO) is the transition away from itinerant courts and towards permanent settled courts, most famously Louis XIV and Versailles (and all its imitators), because it turns all the virtues and characteristics of the traveling on their head. Instead of going out and keeping an eye on your magnates, you force them to come to your palace (where you can keep an eye on them), etc.

Eventually, all the big shots in Europe end up constructing multiple giant luxury palaces (often in the form of deluxe 'hunting lodges') and they'd travel between them on a seasonal basis, dragging their courts with them.

(I just finished reading Blanning's The Pursuit of Glory, which goes into this quite a bit).

I think it mighta came up earlier itt that Versailles became literally lovely because it was never really rebuilt properly to function with all the staff and guests it ended up having, not enough chamber pots and all.

I think the idea probably only really went away with the advent of modern communications, and even then you see efforts made in a different way for a government to function on the move, see Air Force One.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mossyfisk posted:

Implausibly effective laser point defence would do the trick.

Actually there's a lot of star forts in sci-fi illustrations...

Basically man portable defenses that can only be defeated by short range, LOS weapons. Dune shields, make some adjustments so the laser explosion thing is more defeatable.

I mean this is sci-fi as gently caress but hey, a man can dream.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it mighta came up earlier itt that Versailles became literally lovely because it was never really rebuilt properly to function with all the staff and guests it ended up having, not enough chamber pots and all.

I seem to recall reading that if you were high enough ranking at Versailles, you didn't even bother with chamber pots. You just squatted wherever you felt like and left it for the servants to deal with.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I seem to recall reading that if you were high enough ranking at Versailles, you didn't even bother with chamber pots. You just squatted wherever you felt like and left it for the servants to deal with.

Yes, this is correct. Louis XIV in particular liked to use the various stairs to relieve himself.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

TipTow posted:

Yes, this is correct. Louis XIV in particular liked to use the various stairs to relieve himself.

which way would he squat?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

euphronius posted:

I was talking to someone the other day and they said Cicero correctly and I almost fainted I was so happy

quote:

Kaesar und Kikero gingen ins Konkil,
Kaesar im Kylinder und Kikero in Kivil.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Fuschia tude posted:

It's also interesting that this was happening as late as the 1880s in Ethiopia. I haven't studied the imperial history of the country much, but Addis Ababa is basically the capital because it's the last place Emperor Menelik II's court settled down. The royal family enjoyed the hot springs there, and he expanded his empress's house into the imperial palace, which is still the seat of government to this day.

more because Shewa was the core of the empire, and it allowed Menelik to be close to the newly conquered areas of the empire. In the medieval era, the imperial Abyssinian court would stay in a location till the peasants started starving, then they would move on

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

TipTow posted:

Escacaliers

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ngl my first thought if someone said Cicero correctly would be "get a load of this nerdlinger"

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Nerd bar one: knowing who Cicero is

Nerd bar two: knowing anything about him beyond he existed in Roman times

Nerd bar three: knowing how to pronounce his name correctly

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
kickero is a much better name than sissero

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cursed textile.

https://twitter.com/AntiquityJ/status/1486651462671286276

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Bout to pillage some pants off these rich bitches

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

gently caress

quote:

Sitting a few miles from the German border, Nijmegen is the oldest city in The Netherlands, and after a recent archeological dig, it’s also the site that unearthed a stunningly preserved bowl made of blue glass. The pristine finding, which is estimated to be about 2,000 years old, is from the agricultural Bataven settlement that once populated the region. Featuring diagonal ridges, the translucent vessel was made by pouring molten glass into a mold, sculpting the stripes while the material was liquid, and using metal oxide to produce the vibrant blue. Archeologists uncovered it without a single chip or crack.

https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2022/01/roman-glass-bowl-nijmegen/

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That thing is stunning

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

that rules

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd serve salad out of that

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd serve salad out of that

yeah, i think that my aunt has a few of those

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Imagine fumbling and dropping that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That thing is super cool, though this is my new favorite Roman glass piece.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

drat, a percolator and everything

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's always good to know that the ancient romans had the same garbage taste as your grandma in 1974

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My grandmother's taste was impeccable

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

both good, but that blue is wonderful

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I saw that bowl and before I read the post I went back and looked to see if I had clicked the 3d printing thread by mistake :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's always good to know that the ancient romans had the same garbage taste as your grandma in 1974

it never fails to be true