Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory address the fact that Peacemaker found a tiny alien spaceship? cries in Milhouse

e: Speculation based on the ep6 promo: I hope White Dragon shows up and kills all those cops as they are trying to arrest Peacemaker. Also there is a ridiculously amount of gore.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
drat this show loving rules.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

"Eat peace, motherfuckers!"

Adebayo's expression is killing me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory address the fact that Peacemaker found a tiny alien spaceship? cries in Milhouse

e: Speculation based on the ep6 promo: I hope White Dragon shows up and kills all those cops as they are trying to arrest Peacemaker. Also there is a ridiculously amount of gore.

This ep was the first time I think we got to see some classic Gunn gore. Still a little lowkey by Troma standards, but it was loving brutal for regular tv.

x-posting from chat:

Parrot Analyitics, one of those streaming Nielsen outfits, claimed last week that Peacemaker was the top streaming show in the world. I'm always skeptical of those numbers, but the fact that HBO is apparently developing a second SS spinoff series with Gunn would seem to confirm them.

quote:

“We’re working on something else now, another TV show that’s connected to that universe,” Gunn told us, “I can’t quite say.”

Peacemaker John Cena
In addition, Gunn says about a second season of Peacemaker, which recently dropped episode 5 today, “There’s a really good chance of that.”

“We’re the biggest show in the world right now,” Gunn continued, speaking from the set of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 in Atlanta.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

The ending to the episode oh Jesus please be a fake-out and Murn explains he's like a... good parasite inhabiting a human brain....?

That was my assumption as well, and doing the Body Snatchers scream and jumping at her was just cliffhanger bait.

NowonSA posted:

I feel like this episode would've made for a fine and surprising reveal to us the audience of what's up with Murn. It'd certainly be more shocking and out of nowhere than doing it earlier. I wonder what the reasoning was for doing it that way when they were basically going to end an episode with that surprise (and have it be more impactful as it involves another character finding out) anyway.

But then we the audience wouldn't have had any tension when she was messing around with the xray helmet without knowing what she was about to see. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Another great moment was when in contrast to Peacemaker, Detective Song was unable to come up with more than three white guys. She seems great, and good at her job, but just not as good at these verbal battles.

What are you, some kind of :fork:?

zoux posted:

Make sure you watch the post credits scene

:agreed: that all but confirms at least some of that was improv.

e:
And I like how somewhere in there he gets called out for listing dead people but Economo doesn't say anything about Elvis :tinfoil:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 27, 2022

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Annie Stupenhausen was human enough to pick out a guy in a bar to hook up with. (Who just coincidentally due to the sheer amount of butterflies, found the guy with the Black Ops Exterminate Butterflies documents)

Murn specifically remembers his human past while acknowledging that he's different now.

Judomaster said the butterflies "aren't what you think".

Is it possible they're not posessing/bodysnatching as much as....augmenting or hiveminding or something?

The only thing that throws me is Murn helping kill the others. Maybe it is just factionalism.

Sentinel Red posted:

"Eat peace, motherfuckers!"

Adebayo's expression is killing me.
I kinda love her chill, kind vibe. My friend said she's pretty much playing the same character she did in OITNB?

Takes No Damage posted:

That was my assumption as well, and doing the Body Snatchers scream and jumping at her was just cliffhanger bait.
Or just stopping her telling anybody/shooting him, to be fair.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My guess is that the butterflies are factionalized and the one in Murn's head (and Harcourts???) are "good guys".

Takes No Damage posted:

:agreed: that all but confirms at least some of that was improv.

e:
And I like how somewhere in there he gets called out for listing dead people but Economo doesn't say anything about Elvis :tinfoil:

Apparently Gunn runs a much tighter ship than you'd expect from the dialogue, but at the end of a good take he'll let the actors riff for a while.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Any word on if they're gonna release a sound track for this once the season is over?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Any word on if they're gonna release a sound track for this once the season is over?
James Gunn has apparently been running a spotify playlist and adding each episode's songs week after week.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

On a list of things I thought I'd see on an HBO show, I didn't think John Cena and crew fighting a gorilla super powered by aliens, until one of them tore him to pieces with a chainsaw, followed up with them rocking out to hair metal in a van while still covered in the gorilla's blood would be one of them.

gently caress, this is a REALLY good show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That gorilla broke my dick.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol I'm listening to the spotify playlist and I've never heard of 90% of the bands and it loving kicks rear end

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 27, 2022

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

You have no conception of how incredibly loud a gun going off inside the cab of a vehicle is until you've heard it. Firing an automatic inside would be insane, it hurts just watching that part.

Haha - truth. Always wondered if Hollywood knew one among many reasons people yell during combat is gunfire is loud (esp full auto) and when a bunch of guys are all going dakka - you can't hear poo poo for a bit. Even the outside mounted gun on an armoured vehicle make a fuckton of noise not to mention brass and "smoke". Chaotic as poo poo. Worse part of it all is.... your mouth gets so freakin dry so you are yelling AND hoarse. Camelbacks are among the the absolute best things ever invented and that water you take as you are cooling down after? Tastes amazing even if the initial bit tastes like you took a bite out of a piece of coal.

Since we are talking about sound... wish more shows and movies would avoid the stereotypical hollywood silencer sound...ESPECIALLY for the non .22 or 9mm rounds. Minor quibble but I see some AR or AK going full auto and its that pschoo pschoo just bugs the crap outta me.

thrawn527 posted:

On a list of things I thought I'd see on an HBO show, I didn't think John Cena and crew fighting a gorilla super powered by aliens, until one of them tore him to pieces with a chainsaw, followed up with them rocking out to hair metal in a van while still covered in the gorilla's blood would be one of them.

gently caress, this is a REALLY good show.
It really is. Acting, dialogue, plot... just really hits. Still hoping one of the spin offs is just more Suicide Squad with a recast Deadshot and Cap Boomerang. They can pop in who they need small time like Peacemaker or Count Vertigo (granted I really want snotty Count Vertigo in this) and also toss in randos playing Matter Eater Lad, OG Catman, Maxi Zeus, Mr. Mxyzptlk or Rainbow Raider. Tell me Gunn couldn't work magic with any of those five or really any obscure silly DC villain. Don't recast Amanda Waller as Viola Davis is amazing though CCH Pounder is also a perfect choice.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

Lol I'm listening to the spotify playlist and I've never heard of 90% of the bands and it loving kicks rear end

This is amazing. The only band on here I've heard of (I think) is Foxy Shazam. I've got some listening ahead of me.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

My guess is that the butterflies are factionalized and the one in Murn's head (and Harcourts???) are "good guys".

What reason is there to suspect Harcourt's bugged up? Beyond tanking getting punched through a shelf by a gorilla like a boss?

zoux posted:

Apparently Gunn runs a much tighter ship than you'd expect from the dialogue, but at the end of a good take he'll let the actors riff for a while.

I forget if it was an interview or one of the HBOMax clips posted earlier, somewhere I heard that he'll usually start with letting the actors do whatever, but if necessary he can step in and direct them down to the word to get the take he wants.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I'm glad they understand what makes tv shows good: watching a bunch of characters hang out

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Takes No Damage posted:

I forget if it was an interview or one of the HBOMax clips posted earlier, somewhere I heard that he'll usually start with letting the actors do whatever, but if necessary he can step in and direct them down to the word to get the take he wants.

Was it this?

chitoryu12 posted:

I've read some interviews about it. He said Cena is the best improvisational actor he's ever met, so it was really just about making sure he had the dramatic abilities. He'll also get extremely precise with actors if they're having trouble; during TSS, David Dastmalchian was having trouble with the scene where he reveals his mommy issues. Gunn directed him to stand in a really specific way that looked like an awkward child, and Dastmalchian said that was all it took to fall into place. Gunn allows improv whenever possible, but he also has a very precise creation in his head that he can direct to the inch. He's an absolute visionary and beloved by everyone he works with.

Because I read through the thread earlier, and this post stood out to me, and is what you're talking about. But you might have read the interview OP here is referencing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Takes No Damage posted:

What reason is there to suspect Harcourt's bugged up? Beyond tanking getting punched through a shelf by a gorilla like a boss?

When she first met him, she didn't fall head over heels for Chris. Classic Butterfly behavior. None of them did that so far. Well, except the first one depending on how you interpret it. She was the exception.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

When she first met him, she didn't fall head over heels for Chris. Classic Butterfly behavior. None of them did that so far. Well, except the first one depending on how you interpret it. She was the exception.

What? :psyduck: She was there in The Suicide Squad. She read his file. She knows he's an rear end in a top hat. Why would she fall head over heels for him?

Or maybe I am badly misunderstanding your position.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

This kind of complacency is what allowed the butterflies to get a foothold in the first place!

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLccVHVd_-E

I lose it at "loving LUIGI!?"

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Takes No Damage posted:

Unrelated to cocb's reasoning, but I couldn't help but notice that she and Murn's intro dance made me think that they're being controlled like puppets.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What? :psyduck: She was there in The Suicide Squad. She read his file. She knows he's an rear end in a top hat. Why would she fall head over heels for him?

Or maybe I am badly misunderstanding your position.

I don't really think so. But I could see him telling this to himself in order to heal his bruised ego.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My theory on the butterflies is that all of their hosts were dead or dying when the butterflies entered them. Also a possibility is they're trying to work towards world peace by any means

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Was it this?

Yeah that's what I was thinking of, :cool:

zoux posted:

This kind of complacency is what allowed the butterflies to get a foothold in the first place!

:tinfoil: 🦋

Baron von der Loon posted:

Unrelated to cocb's reasoning, but I couldn't help but notice that she and Murn's intro dance made me think that they're being controlled like puppets.

Oh goddamn if there's actual plot relevance built into the intro choreography I'm gonna lose my frickin' mind :tizzy:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Takes No Damage posted:

Oh goddamn if there's actual plot relevance built into the intro choreography I'm gonna lose my frickin' mind :tizzy:

Need someone to analyze the dance moves of the janitor and old neighbor man to figure out what it means.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The janitor's dance moves tell us that we can't trust him!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

The janitor's dance moves tell us that we can't trust him!

B... but we smoked weed together that one time :(

And in Harcourt/butterfly chat, I don't think it works. Didn't they say somewhere that that honey stuff (space nectar?) is the only thing they eat? And I don't think we've ever seen Murn eat or drink outside of That One Scene. If so, all those beers in that bar kind of rule her out.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Takes No Damage posted:

B... but we smoked weed together that one time :(

And in Harcourt/butterfly chat, I don't think it works. Didn't they say somewhere that that honey stuff (space nectar?) is the only thing they eat? And I don't think we've ever seen Murn eat or drink outside of That One Scene. If so, all those beers in that bar kind of rule her out.

I don’t adhere to the “Harcourt is a butterfly” theory, but if she is, maybe the butterfly just likes how getting drunk feels. The butterfly that picked up Peacemaker at the bar apparently just wanted to gently caress. That butterfly liked human orgasms so much it kept its vibrator out on the kitchen counter.

When not “performing”, butterflies obviously still have personalities and preferences. Otherwise, why would Murn be watching sitcoms or be annoyed that his merc buddy knocked on the glass instead of the door?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I assume the sitcom thing was to show him attempting to learn and understand emotions.

Good call on the "annoyed at the window knock though."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anyone would be annoyed by that, alien bug or not.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Rhyno posted:

Anyone would be annoyed by that, alien bug or not.

No doubt. It’s the fact he verbalized it when nobody was around is what I am commenting on. They aren’t just meat puppet drones.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Harcourt is definitely not a Butterfly simply because you don't do that twist twice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Marsupial Ape posted:

No doubt. It’s the fact he verbalized it when nobody was around is what I am commenting on. They aren’t just meat puppet drones.

People verbalize lots of things that annoy them.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Rhyno posted:

People verbalize lots of things that annoy them.

Butterflies aren’t people. That’s the point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Lemme see your alien bug expert credentials.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Baron von der Loon posted:

In one of the interviews they ask that, but Gunn says the choreographer wasn’t told any plot points.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Marsupial Ape posted:

they have technology and i assume societies to get those ships built. If thats not people i dunno what is!! :colbert:

Also in that outtakes scene John Cena lists off Freddie Stroma and James Gunn, which Steve Agee reacts to with 'Those last two aren't even things!!!'

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

...all emotions... ...expressed at once... ...should have sent... ...a poet...