Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my dad bought my first video card in 2003 or 2004 so we could play the first KOTOR without crashing

I legit learned and got my initial interest in coding by editing INI files for that game and lovely AMD drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

forget all these other games, taiko no tatsujin is now out on game pass!

e: but the logon is broken somehow and it is unplayable

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 28, 2022

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

no yakuza, but butcher bay is amazing
hell yeah butcher bay

also mgs3, but not "on release" imo

some of these are reaching

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

no yakuza, but butcher bay is amazing

It is

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
escape from butcher bay may have been the best movie tie in game of all time

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

escape from butcher bay may have been the best movie tie in game of all time

goldeneye is the other obvious contender but yeah, escape from butcher bay was real good. it's like they set out to make a game in the movie universe instead of phoning in a lovely cash-in.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

re: movie ties-in i have really fond memories of blade runner but i haven’t played it in more than 20 years and i bet it aged horribly

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i watched a longplay of it a year or two ago and it still holds up imo. the character graphics were always kinda poo poo even at release, but the backgrounds and music and pretty much everything else makes up for it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

little bundle of pixels rolling around in front of a beautiful matte painting

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

txt me

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it was weird hearing jeff garlin's voice acting as your boss too

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

jesus WEP posted:

re: movie ties-in i have really fond memories of blade runner but i haven’t played it in more than 20 years and i bet it aged horribly

oh that one is still good

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

i kinda agree

do people unironically like manhunt now?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i thought people always did

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I remember it being well received at release but falling out of favor some time later.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

jesus WEP posted:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my dad bought my first video card in 2003 or 2004 so we could play the first KOTOR without crashing

I legit learned and got my initial interest in coding by editing INI files for that game and lovely AMD drivers

my first real 3D accelerator was an nvidia Riva 128, their first actual GPU as we understand them today (the predecessor, the NV1 accelerated quads instead of triangles like modern cards).

it was so rough around the edges (initial releases of GLQuake had seams between the textures that showed the skybox, for example), but it was so good. it lasted me a good long while too.

seeing games running so smoothly with filtering and AA was a game changer.

still the best computer purchase I’ve ever made.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i had a voodoo 2 which ruled and didn't even have 2D capabilities so you had to run a patch cable from the built-in video output into the card

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
yeah i had a diamond monster 3d that required the patch cable as well. that was a great card

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i kinda agree

that was the thief game that had the same engine as DX:IW and was kinda hosed, not as bad as DX:IW though
also kotor 2 was pretty broken at release and needed a few years and a fan patch, same thing with vampire: bloodlines
far cry 1 was kinda meh (that's the one with the trigens, not the one where you can throw north korean soldiers)

that said, still an awesome year

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i just played halo 5 and i'm playing halo infinite and getting confused because either I forgot something or they reset the plot at some point because idgi

From what I remember in halo: reach, some scientist (I don't remember if it was halsey) discovered a forerunner AI, or like forerunner tech that let her make an AI, and that AI was cortana. at the end of reach the spartan you're playing as dies getting the AI to the pillar of autumn, where presumably the master chief is hanging out. at the start of halo 1 they're like "they followed us from reach!" so I assume halo 1 starts like right after that.

but then in halo 4/5/infinite they seem to imply that halsey made like a bunch of AIs and paired them with spartans during their training or something? and that halsey was there when master chief started working with cortana? did that training happen in 5 minutes on the pillar of autumn? or did they just decide to change the backstory of how the AIs/cortana ended up where they were?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I didn't play Reach because it came out after I'd moved away to college and didn't have my xbox-owning friend around to binge co-op with.

But based on the wiki page, the macguffin in Reach wasn't "ai tech", it was "an artifact with the location of a Halo ring". Cortana and the other AIs predate the events of Reach.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Jabor posted:

But based on the wiki page, the macguffin in Reach wasn't "ai tech", it was "an artifact with the location of a Halo ring". Cortana and the other AIs predate the events of Reach.

okay that makes more sense now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ADINSX posted:

I really feel like 2004 was an inflection point in video game graphics where a lot of these games still probably look decent today with the ultra high settings, but maybe thats because i was in college at the time and they look "good enough" to me, I'd be curious to see what a teenager thought about it

It's probably because by this point a dedicated video card was an absolute must

a lot of games in 2004 were developed for directx 9 and could handle stuff like shaders and were still fairly moddable so a lot of those games that look dated can be graphically modded to hell and back and still run at 144 fps no problem with any graphics card made in the past 10 years

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ADINSX posted:

I really feel like 2004 was an inflection point in video game graphics where a lot of these games still probably look decent today with the ultra high settings, but maybe thats because i was in college at the time and they look "good enough" to me, I'd be curious to see what a teenager thought about it

It's probably because by this point a dedicated video card was an absolute must
No, you're right. 2005 was when the X360 launched and the cost of jumping to HD really set both graphics and framerate back quite a ways.

KidDynamite posted:

do people unironically like manhunt now?
It is looked upon more favorably since Manhunt 2 came out, much like Thief Deadly Shadows looks better since Thi4f came out.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

a lot of games in 2004 were developed for directx 9 and could handle stuff like shaders and were still fairly moddable so a lot of those games that look dated can be graphically modded to hell and back and still run at 144 fps no problem with any graphics card made in the past 10 years

the metroid prime games still look really nice running at 4k in dolphin, and they were developed for fixed-function gpus so old they used integer texture coordinates. they had some top-notch technical artists

DuckConference posted:

that was the thief game that had the same engine as DX:IW and was kinda hosed, not as bad as DX:IW though
also kotor 2 was pretty broken at release and needed a few years and a fan patch, same thing with vampire: bloodlines
far cry 1 was kinda meh (that's the one with the trigens, not the one where you can throw north korean soldiers)

that said, still an awesome year

kotor 2 was a rushed mess, and even fan patches couldn't fix the whole thing where the game just kind of stops and jumps to the ending because they ran out of time

far cry 1 was cool when you were skulking around islands and sniping guy from a boat. the trigens were unfun, bullshit bullet sponges though. the ones that would jump and swipe at you calculated whether or not they would hit you with some incredibly janky calculation before they even moved, so their attack could completely miss you yet you still took damage. it became crytek's gimmick as they did the same thing with crysis and the boring, bullet sponge aliens half way through the game

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

kotor 2 is a game i keep trying to replay but the first areas are aggressively bad to slog through

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The United States posted:

much like Thief Deadly Shadows looks better since Thi4f came out.

deadly shadows was actually quite good, the only real major complaint was the developers splitting the levels into multiple parts to fit the game in the xbox's tiny amount of ram. apparently there's a mod now that removes the mid-level loading zones

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

kotor 2 is a game i keep trying to replay but the first areas are aggressively bad to slog through

compared to KOTOR it sucks really bad

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

compared to KOTOR it sucks really bad

i wish there was an update to kotor that added controller support to the pc version like with 2. if you want to play it with widescreen + controller support, the switch version is the only option

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I seem to remember the combat being absolute booty and it being insanely laggy, which is saying something since the lower levels of Taris/the city world absolutely shredded my computer at the time.

I grabbed it on steam sale for $2.99 so I didn’t have to do the 6 CD install on a system without a cd drive and didn’t make it past the intro because the combat system didn’t age well, but it’s one of maybe three single player video games I ever played through because the story was so good

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lol I remember making my first ever forums account at the age of 12 on the BioWare forums because I couldn’t find an answer for the crashing issue in lower taris when you find the leper colony and it turned out the AMD driver for the CPU wasn’t fully supported and then had to wait a year to play again while they worked on a patch (I think that was it anyways)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

oh no there was the crash on taris and then there was another one on the lower levels of Kashyyk and I think I had to wait a few months for each one

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
recently-ish games started to use deferred shading which, i dunno what benefit it even has since i'm not a game dev but it uses huge amounts of memory bandwidth and cuts framerate by something like a factor of four

anything from before the deferred shading era runs like gangbusters on a modern gpu

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

a ps5 and switch together cost about half of a gpu. even less if you count dummy scalper prices

Just Stop Using Computers

free yourself

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

a ps5 and switch together cost about half of a gpu. even less if you count dummy scalper prices

Just Stop Using Computers

free yourself

free yourself...

by paying a company for the privilege of possessing their locked down, proprietary marketing device designed to feed corporate curated content into your living room

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 29, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the old way, forward rendering: input data is directly converted to final pixels in the framebuffer with no stops along the way. very fast but not very flexible and you will have to design a complex pipeline and do multiple passes to achieve certain effects

deferred rendering: input data is rendered into a set of intermediate buffers which each contain one aspect of the scene- color, depth, normal (surface angle), etc. these buffers are then used as inputs in a second step which combines them to produce the final pixels

the main advantage of deferred rendering is it makes it much easier to mix different effects in the scene, especially effects which you know will only affect a small region of pixels. a deferred engine will have no trouble putting dozens or hundreds of individual light sources in a scene, because it can paint each pool of cast light individually as a small object. a forward engine would have to check every light source each time it processes every pixel and grind to a halt. or if you want a heat distortion field, or screen space reflections, or any other effect that works by taking a chunk of the scene and making an altered copy somewhere else

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol yes computer gaming is a strike against capitalism very good

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I can’t do controllers and most console games worth playing are single player so as much as I’d like to, :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

another update: got down underneath the current of the gas giant and pounded my head against the electric field for a while. maybe i was doing something wrong but this is honestly the first time i've found something that bugged me which is saying something as i've put 15 hours into it so far. feldspar clearly was able to use a jellyfish WITH HIS SHIP to get to the core of the planet but for some reason I'm not able to, however I'm able to individually ride a jellyfish through the barrier. lame

anyways it's really cool how the experience of learning the story will be different for everyone. for me i'm just now learning that a naomi probe has actually found the eye of the universe, and i'm guessing the coordinates it then shows me is what it expects me to enter into the vessel whenever i can find a warp core. so for a while i was assuming this was a game about accepting your inevitable death as entropy eventually consumes everyone but maybe it's about.... idk i have no clue what to expect at the eye. this can go in so many different directions

because the only two things left are the ash twin towers and black hole forge, and i can't get into the black hole forge, i'm guessing i have to finish exploring the towers next. that or get into the high energy lab but i've attempted that several times now and the fact i keep getting lost in the maze tells me there has to be some trick to it that I haven't found yet. so yeah towers are pretty much the only way i can go now.

i can see the ending coming now but i still have no idea what to expect