Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Man these fuckers will not come out. I just can't get enough leverage under them :negative:

Especially with the huge heatsinks flanking 2 of them 🙄

Sorry but you removed the screws first right? If they're in place it looks like they obstruct the movement of the two plastic legs (that go through the board) that need to be pinched together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's the part I'm stuck at. As shown in the timestamp in the video, I cannot get any leverage on those black caps they seemingly, effortlessly just lift out.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Is it possible to push the pin from the bottom? Just that little bit by the arrow i drew up there, not the flanges it's between, maybe just enough to give you a gap to work with at the cap end on the other side? Beyond that, i'm at a loss. :(

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The pictures I found have ridges on the pins that I assume interface with the flangy bit. Its not advice I like to give but "get medieval on it, carefully" seems to be the way to go if its not working nicely; the few times I've had to remove clip-on mounting the clips themselves did not survive. As long as you don't drive a screwdriver into the motherboard or the like it should be fine in the end...

If you do have to do more than lever between the pinhead and the ring it might be worth looking for something plastic to use as a tool, especially if you do try to push in from the bottom.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Can you grip the bottom of the pin with needle nose pliers and push up? You are 100% sure there is for sure nothing to turn on top of them?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You totally could get side cutters in there and snip the plastic off. Hold them perpendicular to the motherboard and squeeze slowly without twisting or pulling and you wont' damage the board. You can see the traces going around the holes, avoid them.

You could also melt them out with a big fat soldering tip or maybe a heat gun to soften them up and just pull them free.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I tried some rubber-tipped pliers yesterday but I still couldn't get a grip on them. Positive there's no twisty-turny to be done. You can even view the manual here:

https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/media/productattach/db/support/usermanual/_76b159482a2a456b8043de128ce57d46.pdf

It's literally just line up the ring
Drop the clear plastic tubes into the correct slot
Push the black plastic caps into the clear ones
Mount the Heatsink [which I can't do]

Just fought with it for another 30 minutes, yea, those fuckers aren't coming out. Even if I get the two to the "bottom" of the CPU out, I sure as gently caress aren't getting the top two out with the motherboard's heatsinks in the way.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

a kitten posted:

Is it possible to push the pin from the bottom? Just that little bit by the arrow i drew up there, not the flanges it's between, maybe just enough to give you a gap to work with at the cap end on the other side? Beyond that, i'm at a loss. :(

Sab669 posted:

Just fought with it for another 30 minutes, yea, those fuckers aren't coming out. Even if I get the two to the "bottom" of the CPU out, I sure as gently caress aren't getting the top two out with the motherboard's heatsinks in the way.

Is it possible to remove the mobo from the case and just use a pin punch on the mounts like top quote suggested? it's totally how i'd go

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't really own anything like that, so :shrug: I think I'm just gonna take my flush cutters to the pins on the underside of the mobo and hope that does the trick. And failing that Amazon will can get a Z590 to me by tomorrow if I order within the next 8 hours apparently. Can't imagine this is any worse than my EVGA Z490 FTW, yea?

Extremely dumb to spend $150 on a mobo when mine isn't broken but it also seems kinda silly to drive all around buying various gizmos to try and dislodge this fucker.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OH gently caress I GOT THEM!!

I was just pacing around my minis painting room and remembered I had this tool and I was able to push those black clips out using it.

3 came out fairly easily, 1 gave me a fight and I definitely stabbed my board a few times but I got it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I am about to purchase parts for my first PC Build and had a question about the MSI B550m Motherboard linked below. Is there any way to know for sure if this mobo will require a bios update to work with the AMD Ryzen 5600x? I have read a few places that say newly manufactured B550m mobo's should have the latest bios version and not require an update but wanted to be sure. Thanks for the help!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089D1YG11/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A1FJ9SEK1UVDTX&psc=1

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

MrSargent posted:

I am about to purchase parts for my first PC Build and had a question about the MSI B550m Motherboard linked below. Is there any way to know for sure if this mobo will require a bios update to work with the AMD Ryzen 5600x? I have read a few places that say newly manufactured B550m mobo's should have the latest bios version and not require an update but wanted to be sure. Thanks for the help!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089D1YG11/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A1FJ9SEK1UVDTX&psc=1

The only way for it to not have a compatible bios is if its been sitting in the warehouse since before the 5xxx line launched back in 2020. Its almost certainly not going to be an issue.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The only way for it to not have a compatible bios is if its been sitting in the warehouse since before the 5xxx line launched back in 2020. Its almost certainly not going to be an issue.

Thanks a lot for the response, much appreciated.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Dear Thread,

I'm looking for a wireless headset with some specific features that doesn't suck. I want:

- Decent Cans
- Decent Mic
- Comfortable
- Input mute on the headset.
- Wireless, with at least 30ft of range
- A base that charges the headset and switches between various sources.

The dream for me is honestly the HyperX Wireless II Cloud's Mic, Cans, and Feel, but with the Jabra Engage 75's dock and source switching, with physical buttons (as opposed to touch). 'Source Switching' is a stretch goal and if I can't get the complete package, that's the first thing I'd give up. I would try to avoid bluetooth if I could.

Does such a thing exist? Does a decent Wireless headset exist at all that at least has it's own charging base + good range + good cans / mic? Does Audio Technica just make this and I can't find it?

The best I can find is a set of Astro A50s which is...fine I guess? 30ft range is kind of the minimum and the 5.8Ghz signal makes me think that if I turn a corner, connectivity is gonna go to poo poo. For $300 bux, I really would expect this to be outstanding.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 27, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Dear Thread,

I'm looking for a wireless headset with some specific features that doesn't suck. I want:

- Decent Cans
- Decent Mic
- Comfortable
- Input mute on the headset.
- Wireless, with at least 30ft of range
- A base that charges the headset and switches between various sources.

The dream for me is honestly the HyperX Wireless II Cloud's Mic, Cans, and Feel, but with the Jabra Engage 75's dock and source switching, with physical buttons (as opposed to touch). 'Source Switching' is a stretch goal and if I can't get the complete package, that's the first thing I'd give up. I would try to avoid bluetooth if I could.

Does such a thing exist? Does a decent Wireless headset exist at all that at least has it's own charging base + good range + good cans / mic? Does Audio Technica just make this and I can't find it?

The best I can find is a set of Astro A50s which is...fine I guess? 30ft range is kind of the minimum and the 5.8Ghz signal makes me think that if I turn a corner, connectivity is gonna go to poo poo. For $300 bux, I really would expect this to be outstanding.

There is a headphone thread that probably has a lot more knowledge on this. I looked but it's not in my bookmarks anymore.

I would expect $300 corded headphones to sound very good, and I think I would expect wireless versions at the same price point to sound just 'good' since they're putting additional technology in them for the same price.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Headphone thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521

They are probably going to suggest just getting a modmic or whatever the current equivalent is plus a nice set of headphones :v:

FWIW that's probably a good way to go, the headset market is kinda messy. I think lockdowns, work from home and Twitch encouraged some companies to slap any old plastic poo poo on their standard headsets and mark up the price by 50 bucks.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What's the best way to play pc games on the TV with my pc in the other room? My wife wants to watch me play scary games whenever I do but the office is a bit too cramped.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If you have an Android TV or Samsung smart TV there's a native Steam Link app you can install on there

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Steam Link hardware is good and cheap, especially hard wired ethernet. Otherwise you can hook up a computer and stream to that if you sign into Steam on both.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

repiv posted:

If you have an Android TV or Samsung smart TV there's a native Steam Link app you can install on there

Oh poo poo we do have a Samsung TV so I'll give that a go.

I was wondering if there was some well known cheap way to like, have my controller and stuff in the living room. It'd be weird if I was in the office while she was in the living room lol

Maybe the actual steam link will work for that. Previously I owned one and it gave me issues.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Steam Link does let you control the game from the TV end, although apparently controller support is pretty limited in the Samsung App version

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/175C-DDCE-F0CF-B3BD

quote:

The Samsung TV App currently supports the following controllers:

The Steam Controller
Xbox 360 Wireless/Wired
Xbox One Wired
Logitech F510 / F710

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If you have an Nvidia card on the main computer and a laptop you could plug into the TV then Moonlight (which uses the GameStream protocol) is another alternative. It will forward local control inputs (like a controller plugged in via USB or connected via Bluetooth) over to the host.

It is extremely low latency and nearly free performance wise (ofc newer is better, I've used a 1060 which took a 5-10% hit and a 3070 which was unnoticeable) because it snags the output directly from the framebuffer and sends it to the onboard NVENC encoder without any need to hit the CPU first.

I've used it to stream in my house with no issues, and used it to stream to a buddy (who I made promise to not mess with his controller lol) at 1440p@60 smooth as butter (unlike discord which kept making GBS threads itself).

Edit: to be clear the laptop can be just about anything. Windows and MacOS have clients, even iOS works.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 29, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Or failing all the rest there's always the nvidia shield, which is doing great for me (so long as you have an nvidia GPU)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My shield is great. And GeForce now at 4k is a nice extra option

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Another Shield user here (streaming via Moonlight), most things play well on it although a lot depends on your connection. If both the host PC and client are directly wired to the router you should be golden.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Party Boat posted:

Another Shield user here (streaming via Moonlight), most things play well on it although a lot depends on your connection. If both the host PC and client are directly wired to the router you should be golden.

This sounds great and yeah I can wire everything

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I recently bought a Switch, and I'm very impressed with docked mode, but my monitor only has a single HDMI port. What can I get so that switching from one input to another is going to be easier? I don't think a KVM is appropriate in this case since it's just the second HDMI port that I need.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
hdmi switch, they're usually not too expensive

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Some HDMI switches can split the audio out too, which is useful if your monitor has bad audio (as most do)

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's outside the range of my experience, but I would guess would have less latency than, say, Bluetooth. I did a quick search and this page seems to have a decent primer on running USB longer distances (with the caveat it's a store that sells cables): https://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html

JnnyThndrs posted:

I use a couple of active USB cables for my homemade security camera setup, 25 footers, and they work seamlessly with the cameras. Prior to buying the active cables. I tried some 10’ regular cables and had nothing but issues. I don’t know about latency, you’d probably have to just try one and see.

There’s a couple places on eBay that sell the active cables for under $20, just search for ‘active 25’ usb cable’.

Just checking in to report that a cheapo Amazon active cable is doing the job. The main problem is that the female end isn't particularly snug, but that's not really a problem with the tech itself, and I mounted the cables pretty tightly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Crosspost from laptop thread. Probably makes more sense here:

slidebite posted:

Question to AMD APU laptop owners:

Are windows supplied drivers the recommended go to or should I get drivers right from AMD? Is there a way to get the drivers from AMD without the software package? Just basic drivers without all the software?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

slidebite posted:

Crosspost from laptop thread. Probably makes more sense here:

Get them directly from AMD but I’m not sure about the software part. They all do that now including intel.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I've been having weird bouts of times where my computer refuses to stay asleep. When I check the event viewer it would always say power button but I know for sure it wasn't being actuated at all.

Last night I fully unhooked the entire front panel wiring harness and just now my computer woke up again reporting as power button.

It's it possible this is some hosed up software thing or do I really have some weird intermittent short in the motherboard itself (the time it takes to wake up is never consistent)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be Windows Update constantly waking my computer up, and keeping it awake. Had nothing to do with a power button.

This isn't saying that you have the exact same problem, but I'd start by trying to disable wake timers. You could also "catch" the computer as it wakes and quickly run powercfg -requests and see if anything shows there.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

My PC has sometimes, but not always started waking up when I turn off a lamp on the other side of the room. :iiam:

So at this point I'm starting to think the things are actually just black magic

e; I did the above awhile back and it's something to do with the USB hub maybe, it's not annoying enough that I've looked into it much further

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 10, 2022

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

doctorfrog posted:

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be Windows Update constantly waking my computer up, and keeping it awake. Had nothing to do with a power button.

This isn't saying that you have the exact same problem, but I'd start by trying to disable wake timers. You could also "catch" the computer as it wakes and quickly run powercfg -requests and see if anything shows there.

Yeah this is what I did before posting,

And this was the state of my power button connector at the time

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SeXReX posted:

Yeah this is what I did before posting,

And this was the state of my power button connector at the time

I assume you also unplugged all your usb devices.

I’d probably take out the lan wire too and see.

I’ve also had this happen and I have no idea what causes it because it’s not consistent for me at all.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

MarcusSA posted:

I assume you also unplugged all your usb devices.

I’d probably take out the lan wire too and see.

I’ve also had this happen and I have no idea what causes it because it’s not consistent for me at all.

wouldn't those be reporting as USB device and wake on lan if thats what was waking it up?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SeXReX posted:

wouldn't those be reporting as USB device and wake on lan if thats what was waking it up?

You'd think!

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they didn't though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

http://www.allaboutadapters.com/auhdlb2.html

I'm looking to get a bunch of channels of audio out of a laptop, and this seems like it might be a little nicer than using a cheap USB sound card.