Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Clearly she had a microtransmitter in the pearls and a bone-conduction speaker in her nose ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My thing is that I'm sure one day someone will beat Ken's record, and if it's going to happen I'd like it to happen when he's hosting because I think it would be a neat passing-the-baton moment and I think Ken would be gracious about it and enjoy sharing the stage with the new record-holder.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

christmas boots posted:

My thing is that I'm sure one day someone will beat Ken's record, and if it's going to happen I'd like it to happen when he's hosting because I think it would be a neat passing-the-baton moment and I think Ken would be gracious about it and enjoy sharing the stage with the new record-holder.

I don't think there's any question that Ken would be unbelievably gracious towards that new all-time champion if he were hosting.

The problem is that Sony seems to have no interest in having him host long-term.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
At the end of every week right now I'm like "PLEASE BE BACK ON MY TV ON MONDAY KEN"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Find yourself somebody who yells at you to be back on their TV Monday like HookShot yells at Ken

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

At the end of every week right now I'm like "PLEASE BE BACK ON MY TV ON MONDAY KEN"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

HookShot posted:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

HookShot posted:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think Ken's record is like Ted Williams and a .400 batting average.

sexpig by night posted:

yea obviously there's tons of reasons to love Amy but the uber nerd in me will always really appreciate that she won just the 'normal' way of playing to her strengths and having good buzzer reflexes instead of the min-maxy 'optimum play' stuff. I don't really 'hate' that style or anything but it's just nice to have such a good streak that is proof that you don't NEED to do it.

Amy's easily my favorite superchamp after Ken because of it (certainly helps that some of the others like James were personally annoying too). I do hate the Forrest bounce and enjoy seeing someone just go down the categories and dominate all comers.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Every time Ken said "you ran the category" and they didn't pipe in applause made me die a little inside

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Amy is the rarest of Jeopardy champions: clever and with a warm personality that comes across on television. She had better end up with a Ken-level connection to the show moving forward, which I guess would still mean being ignored a lot and cut out of things as soon as possible.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think Ken's record is like Ted Williams and a .400 batting average.

Amy's easily my favorite superchamp after Ken because of it (certainly helps that some of the others like James were personally annoying too). I do hate the Forrest bounce and enjoy seeing someone just go down the categories and dominate all comers.

At this point, it's looking more like Cal Ripken Jr.'s 2632 straight games played. Who would be in a Jeopardy! Hall of Fame anyway? This includes the original too.

Amy playing the categories straight at least proves the intended strategy by the producers does work even if some people want to ignore it. Doesn't help if you blow Final which proved to be her Achilles’ Heel

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sad to see such a great champion be taken down by an egg

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

Amy is the rarest of Jeopardy champions: clever and with a warm personality that comes across on television. She had better end up with a Ken-level connection to the show moving forward, which I guess would still mean being ignored a lot and cut out of things as soon as possible.

Yeah, she doesn't have the total douchebag energy of some other *COUGHJAMESCOUGH* megachamps.

CPColin posted:

Find yourself somebody who yells at you to be back on their TV Monday like HookShot yells at Ken

#goals

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

HookShot posted:

They replaced the Trebek voice on my Echo Jeopardy App with Bialik and I have never hated something so much before.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

Come on let's not go nuts. Buzzy Cohen, Julia Collins, Matt Jackson, Austin Rodgers, Brad, Rodger Craig, Colby Burnett, ect. Amy was fine but it's not like she's some unique phenomenon of Jeopardy winner with a good personality. There's not that many Arthur Chus in the mix.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Sad to see such a great champion be taken down by an egg

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

Come on let's not go nuts. Buzzy Cohen, Julia Collins, Matt Jackson, Austin Rodgers, Brad, Rodger Craig, Colby Burnett, ect. Amy was fine but it's not like she's some unique phenomenon of Jeopardy winner with a good personality. There's not that many Arthur Chus in the mix.

i remember liking eddie timanus a lot as a kid

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The third position on Friday looked like if Jay Leno and John Kerry had a baby

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

They replaced the Trebek voice on my Echo Jeopardy App with Bialik and I have never hated something so much before.

Please tell me this is not true.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I feel like you know what they meant, and just felt like making a point of some kind. Amy is clearly at a level beyond these champions, so that's not the comparison that was being made.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jeopardy! champion Amy Schneider wants Ken Jennings to be named permanent host

quote:

"Ken Jennings should be the host," Schneider said. "I really can't say enough about him. I didn't necessarily think that before going into this because, yes, he was a great champion, but this is a different skill set. But you could see the work that he put into it, and I just thought he did a really great job. So as far as I'm concerned, that's my endorsement."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jeopardy-champion-amy-schneider-wants-171624460.html

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Amy stays winning with that opinion.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ken just has such a good rapport with the contestants IMO.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

thrawn527 posted:

I feel like you know what they meant, and just felt like making a point of some kind. Amy is clearly at a level beyond these champions, so that's not the comparison that was being made.
You can't claim Amy is a level beyond Brad

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

What was the point being made then because I dont find the statement "rare for a jeopardy champion to be clever and have a warm personality" to be very accurate, even amongst the super champs.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

thrawn527 posted:

What was the "point of some kind" you think they were implying?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

christmas boots posted:

Ken just has such a good rapport with the contestants IMO.

His current run is so much better than his initial six-week stint. He calmed down, he's not being obsequious to Trebek, he's being himself instead of an animated suit. I dig it.

I'd still like Buzzy Cohen to be the permanent host, but at this point I'd be fine with Jennings.

Really, anyone but loving Bialik.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

christmas boots posted:

What was the "point of some kind" you think they were implying?

That they knew a bunch of champions that they could rattle off.

OP was just trying to say how nice it was that Amy is the "rarest of champions", in that she's the second most winningest champion and a nice person, like Ken. Not that she was the only one. Hell, they even mentioned Ken in the post, pointing out that she's not alone. Listing off a bunch of champions that you know who aren't in the top 5 but are also nice doesn't change that fact.

The point is that Amy and Ken are the top 2 and are super cool. That's awesome. That's all. I don't think it needed a, "Oh come on, here are some other cool people who have won," post to try and counter it, saying, "Let's not go nuts."

Anyway, this really isn't important, so I'm going to drop it after this. Sorry for making this a thing. Just wanted to answer the direct question.

Timby posted:

Here here.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 31, 2022

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

From your post to Sony’s ears.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
A few months ago I was resigned to the fact that Mayim was definitely going to be the permanent host, but I'm starting to get cautiously optimistic about it going to Ken after all. The fact that the show recently had the highest ratings in years and all of the good press from Amy's run definitely couldn't hurt. There was also that report from a few weeks back saying that Sony was considering sticking with the original dual hosting plan, which means Mayim would just be hosting the specials. I would be OK with that, if it meant that Ken got to be the permanent host for the syndicated show.

Of course I'm still expecting to be disappointed, but I feel better about it than I have in awhile!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's weird that there were reports of Ken supposedly missing out on the job because of his mean tweet, but then Sony has been just fine for letting him host for months now. Maybe it's purely the result of Mayim's schedule, but to me it at least shows that they're not writing him off entirely. And I think anyone with half a brain can see that if Ken was named host, you won't have anywhere near the controversy that there was with Richards.

It will be awfully disappointing if Mayim is made the host and Ken is the "specials host".

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

HookShot posted:

I agree but I also have some bad news

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WAIT WHAT THE gently caress THIS ISN'T A TOURNAMENT OR SPECIAL

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GOD loving drat IT

Jokymi posted:

A few months ago I was resigned to the fact that Mayim was definitely going to be the permanent host, but I'm starting to get cautiously optimistic about it going to Ken after all. The fact that the show recently had the highest ratings in years and all of the good press from Amy's run definitely couldn't hurt. There was also that report from a few weeks back saying that Sony was considering sticking with the original dual hosting plan, which means Mayim would just be hosting the specials. I would be OK with that, if it meant that Ken got to be the permanent host for the syndicated show.

Of course I'm still expecting to be disappointed, but I feel better about it than I have in awhile!

I blame this post for everything. YOU JINXED IT.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I guess I'm watching a movie tonight

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Oh good, Mayim is back.
I missed her.
Bazinga!

Edit: Get it? Like the catchphrase of the TV show that she was on! The entire reason she is qualified to be host of Jeopardy! and literally laugh at people who make incorrect guesses! Because she was in that show! That show that everyone loves! Hahaha ok I’m bored

The Mighty Moltres fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 1, 2022

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I hate to splash cold water but let's be honest, Sony wanted someone with a high Q score who rural people think (emphasis on think) is smart. The fact that. Dr. Bialik helped make distributor CBS a lot of money (not as much as AT&T but still) via Big Bang Theory was a bonus and who wouldn't accept a lot of money for essentially 2 months of work a year?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Woman who hocks brain pills on TV and was on the bazinga show*: Smart
Guy who was a Jeopardy champion for over 70 days: Who does that smart aleck think he is?

-- America 2022

* I'm not trying to minimize Bialik's legitimate academic achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Don’t forget her being antivax.