Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

the holy poopacy posted:

this is a problem in gender discourse, yes

the term "egg" gets used plenty in a healthier, less prescriptive fashion but some people definitely latch on to the concept in a very toxic way. earlier editions of this thread had at least one story about someone's queer friend very insistently badgering them for supposedly being an egg (based on even more dubious tells than picking female avatars, IIRC)

You know, if it's the one I'm thinking of, it actually really may have been picking an avatar of the opposite sex. Gotta see if I can find it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Isn't that whole "egg" thing from a Terry Pratchett novel?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scags McDouglas posted:

I'm still relatively certain that the whole "stack of dollar bills I slowly deplete as punishment" thing is largely an urban legend. I mean surely it's happened but I think in reality most people would rather stiff a server at the end and escape, not make some weird show. I've worked as a server and never actually heard it credibly happening in the wild.

My dream though, if I ever saw someone doing it, would be to dash to an ATM and pull out some 20's and tell the server I'm applying a reverse bounty so every time you spill liquid in their face / lap I lay down a fresh Andrew Jackson.

A friend of mines father would do this at any restaurant he ate out at. He was not welcome in any restaurant in his home town except fast food places. Youd think he might have clued in that these were related concepts but nope!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
as this is not a trying time, I’d be wiser about the egg usage.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

sullat posted:

i've read all of terry pratchett's stuff and i don't remember anything like that

at least i think i did, maybe i missed a book or something

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Here's a fun one.

AITA for making my step-sister and step-mom look for my “lost” necklace?

quote:

Throwaway cause relatives on Reddit. I (17F) have a necklace that was made for me by a friend who does wirewrapping. It’s the prettiest thing I own and my friend moved last year so it’s my memory of her. My dad married his gf last year and her daughter (15F) and I don’t get along. She’s annoying and whines about everything and she always wants to borrow my stuff and then loses or breaks it or something. My step-mom just enables that and gives her whatever she wants to shut her up it’s dumb.

Anyway she really likes my necklace but I won’t let her touch it because I know how she is. She wanted to wear it with an outfit for her birthday party at her dad’s a week ago and I said no, so she whined to her mom who told me to let her wear it to keep the peace. I told my dad and he said I didn’t have to let her wear it, so I didn’t. On the day of the party though I notice it’s gone from my jewelry box and step-mom admits she took it and let my step-sister wear it since it was so important to her. I was so mad, I was going to just tell my dad but he was away for work for a couple of days and I decided to wait til he got back.

Step-sister said she would give it back the next day, but I saw it in the floor in the bathroom that night and took it back before it could get broken. I decided to teach her a lesson so I hid it and then asked for it back the next day. She couldn’t find it so her mom and her went through her room from top to bottom trying to find it and when they couldn’t step-mom said she would buy me a nicer one to replace it, but I told her she can’t replace something my friend made and she stole something my dad already said I didn’t have to share and this is why I don’t like either of them.

My dad came home and found out what happened and had a big fight with step-mom about it, they’re sleeping in separate rooms. Step-sister is grounded. I’m planning on “finding” the necklace, because the point is made. Most of my friends think it’s deserved, but a couple think I should have just told my dad and not made them look for a necklace I already had back.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008

sullat posted:

Way back when twitter just started wasn't the default avatar an egg? Maybe that is what this is referencing.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Mom and Sister absolutely suspect what's going on but they can't prove it. "Finding" the necklace is doom. Just hide it at a friend's until you move away forever.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kurieg posted:

Also, I'm willing to bet his "If I have to look at a character they have to be hot" logic doesn't apply to male characters.

Everytime a man says this, it's a lie. They pick female characters because they have nicer cosmetic choices to play pretty dress up, but if a guy admits this they're treated badly, so they give a DudeBro lie to save face

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I play female characters because I want to play Pretty Princess Dress-Up, as one glance at my 'downloaded mods' history would confirm.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

A friend of mines father would do this at any restaurant he ate out at. He was not welcome in any restaurant in his home town except fast food places. Youd think he might have clued in that these were related concepts but nope!

Huh, I stand corrected.

God bless the collective managers who banned him for life, which is absolutely the correct policy.

I'd loving adore being the person who walked up to ol' table-dollars and said to quietly collect them and leave because nobody's making their food and they're never welcome back.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Miserable Maid posted:

Everytime a man says this, it's a lie. They pick female characters because they have nicer cosmetic choices to play pretty dress up, but if a guy admits this they're treated badly, so they give a DudeBro lie to save face

Having had one of those people in my WoW Guild I assure you, it is not a lie every time. They absolutely refused to play a Worgen because "he couldn't play a woman he wouldn't want to gently caress" and "he hated skinny bitches."
This information was offered, loudly and unprompted, often when it was completely tangential to the conversation at hand.

Also Wow character customization.... was very much "not" pretty dress up at the time.

E: having done a cursory googling, class specializations in Black Desert Online are gender locked(Which is it's own gigantic kettle of fish and an endemic problem with Korean MMOs), so if there's a job he wanted to play then yeah, he may have had to play a woman. Which doesn't make "designing your mandatory female character to look as much like your girlfriend as possible in an MMO" any less weird.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 1, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Kurieg posted:

Having had one of those people in my WoW Guild I assure you, it is not a lie every time. They absolutely refused to play a Worgen because "he couldn't play a woman he wouldn't want to gently caress" and "he hated skinny bitches."
This information was offered, loudly and unprompted, often when it was completely tangential to the conversation at hand.

The fact that it was offered, loudly and unprompted, often when it was completely tangential to the conversation at hand makes it extremely sound like some kind of loud NOHOMO dude bro kabuki. Even if yes, the nerd version of dudebro.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Mods change my name to DudeBro Kabuki.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Everyone, man or woman, who has done character creation with me just wants to pick a woman and gas up the funballoons to as big as they'll go and Im not sure what this says about either them or me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

the holy poopacy posted:

this is a problem in gender discourse, yes

the term "egg" gets used plenty in a healthier, less prescriptive fashion but some people definitely latch on to the concept in a very toxic way. earlier editions of this thread had at least one story about someone's queer friend very insistently badgering them for supposedly being an egg (based on even more dubious tells than picking female avatars, IIRC)

I knew a guy like that IRL, he assumed that just because most of the answers came up "default" I must not have really tried to figure myself out, and would jump on anything that didn't fit the stereotypical straight toxic masculinity as "proof". In a way I get it; you find something that really works for you and makes things easier you didn't know were difficult, it can be hard not to assume it's the same for everyone. I got like that for a while with my CPAP, pouncing on anyone who yawned near me that they should get it checked out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Quackles posted:

Here's a fun one.

"Most of my friends think it’s deserved, but a couple think I should have just told my dad and not made them look for a necklace I already had back."

Sure, but why not? It's fun

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

Kung Food posted:

I've known the term less than a day, and already it feels like gender essentialism but from the other side.

It absolutely is, it's been getting so loving annoying online. A guy likes to wear pink? A gal likes to watch football? Must be an Egg! It's just 1950s style strict gender roles all over again. People on the internet these days are so obsessed with trying to fit people into neat & tidy clearly labeled boxes

Sorry for getting worked up, it's just I've had so many drat people assume I'm trans or non-binary right to my face, just because I'm secure in my sexuality. It's really rude and off-putting to have people decide my own life for me :(

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Quackles posted:

Here's a fun one.

How is this a story on Newsweek? Media is dead.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

i've read all of terry pratchett's stuff and i don't remember anything like that

at least i think i did, maybe i missed a book or something

I could have sworn there was one where the murderer is a clown and it's revealed that all the clowns have their face paint recorded on eggs that are kept in the Fool's guild.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Eggs are gross and taste like farts, that’s my hot take for the day.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

sullat posted:

...and it's revealed that all the clowns have their face paint recorded on eggs that are kept in the Fool's guild.

Oh, no, that's real.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not taking off work to get our daughter and calling my ex's girlfriend manipulative?

quote:

I'm 31 years old. I grew up in a very strict household with outdated beliefs. My mother stayed at home and father worked. My parents were toxic and always tried to convince me that my purpose was to get married, have kids and be a housewife. No offense to anyone who is a housewife. The problem with my parents though is they were misogynistic and felt women belonged in the kitchen. This was a huge conflict I had with them and caused resentment as I got older, moved out, graduated college and started working as a nurse. Eventually, I did meet someone and get married. We have a 4 year old daughter together which she was fully planned.

Unfortunately the marriage didn't last and we divorced over a year ago so now we coparent. My ex-husband has been self-employed since we originally got married so his schedule is very flexible compared to mine. When we were still married, he would either watch our daughter while I worked at the hospital or have his parents watch her. Since the divorce, every time I had work on a day that my daughter wasn't able to attend daycare or preschool, my ex or his parents would watch her. Also whenever there was an emergency, I had my ex pick up our daughter from daycare or school instead of me taking off work. We have split custody but he's been willing to watch her during my days when I can't due to work.

I've made a lot of progress in my professional career and something I hope that would be a good role model for my daughter when she gets older as I don't want her to grow up in a household like I did. Lately, my ex has been a lot busier since he began dating someone. He's been refusing to watch our daughter while I'm at work. The school recently called both of us to pick up our daughter due to her having an accident. I told them to call my ex-husband. They called him and he said I had to get our daughter because it was my week. Which is unlike him because he's always been willing to watch our daughter during my week if I'm working that day.

This threw me off and I ended up having to ask my parents to pick up their granddaughter. Last week, I got called in for work on a day I was supposed to have off. I brought our daughter to my ex's house while he was asleep. He usually leaves his door unlocked by habit, so I brought her inside and left for work. I also left him a text saying she's there with him.

Apparently his new girlfriend was there too but also asleep, probably in the guest room as I didn't see her. I got an angry call from my ex saying his girlfriend is pissed about me dropping off our daughter when they were asleep. From what I know she has no kids. She doesn't understand the work I have to do to keep a roof over mine and my daughters head. Now my ex-husband says he's going to be less available and told me to stick to our custody schedules. I'm thinking that the girlfriend is manipulating him. I can't afford a babysitter and calling off work is off the table too. The grandparents aren't always available either. AITA?

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

sullat posted:

I could have sworn there was one where the murderer is a clown and it's revealed that all the clowns have their face paint recorded on eggs that are kept in the Fool's guild.

Yeah, it was in "Men at Arms", a real good book.

Holy cow! That's actually really interesting!!

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

that's in Men at Arms as well

Boffo the clown and Dr. Whiteface

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

I have never been afraid of clowns before but this is terrifying.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not taking off work to get our daughter and calling my ex's girlfriend manipulative?

LOL “What’s wrong with dropping a four year old off in a house when no adults there are awake or aware of her presence? Why isn’t my ex available at my beck and call?”

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for tipping our waitress 20 dollars despite her poor service, because my date was playing a "game" with her tips?

Ugh. Never been in a situation this dumb (sounds like this person was straight-up dating a Patrick Bateman), but I've been on dates where the other person was an rear end to the wait staff and had an attitude about how much to leave for a tip, and it's always off-putting and a bit embarrassing.

My rule is to *always* tip 20% rounded up to the nearest dollar, no matter what, and in recent years (what with inflation and stagnant wages being how they are) I've started going up to 25%. If your service at a restaurant sucks (wrong order, food took forever to get there, etc.) it's likely not the waiter's fault anyway. There can be all sorts of fuckups in the kitchen or on management's part that can lead to slow service.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

teen witch posted:

as this is not a trying time, I’d be wiser about the egg usage.

Better scramble, folks, Teen Witch is about to crack.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Evil Willow posted:

Wasn't there a recent one from the point of view of someone who was having the kid left at theirs?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Agents are GO! posted:

We'll have a devil of a time escaping! Have to keep running until she's had an oeuf.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

ooh finally one from the other side of yeeting kids at people's houses sight unseen

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

BigHead posted:

We'll have a devil of a time escaping! Have to keep running until she's had an oeuf.

Shell get all hard boiled on us

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Eggs are delicious. I like them. I eat an egg almost every day.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not eating the dinner my in-laws insisted I order?

quote:

I(34M) am married to my wife(35F). I have always struggled with my weight growing up. My parents passed away when I was 8 years old and my Aunt took care of me. She had a very high demanding job and would feed me fast and junk food. When I went to high school, I weighed over 200lbs and after graduation, I was at 250. My senior year of college, I weighed about 350lbs and decided to make a change.

After I graduated, I decided to work on myself and become healthier. I lost about 100lbs and gained some of it back when my Aunt passed away. When I met my wife, I weighed about 275 and was not happy with my size. My wife loves to cook large portions of food and didn't see any problems with my weight. I decided to pursue a bariatric surgeon in August of 2020 and got the surgery in November of 2021. My stomach is smaller and it keeps me from overeating. I am slowly losing the weight as I have been eating broth and small amounts of cottage cheese. I have not been able to eat protein or fish as it makes me sick.

My in-laws and I don't have the strongest relationship as they met me when I was still very big. They always thought my wife could do better and would tell me that I was lucky that she settled for me. My wife got a huge promotion in her job and her parents wanted to take us out for dinner to her favorite steakhouse. Knowing I can't eat a ton, I ordered a cup of soup and water. My in-laws gave me a look and insisted that I order a steak entree. I told them that I could not eat meat yet as it made me sick. I went to use the bathroom and was surprised to see a steak entree being delivered to me. My wife whispered to me to take a few bites to please her parents.

I told her that I was not going to eat something that I did not want and watched as everyone finished their meals. There was a ton of awkward silence and FIL was quite angry that I did not even try the dish. My wife is hurt and thinks I should have just eaten the meal to keep the peace.

AITA for not eating the dinner my in-laws insisted I order?

i still think puking all over the table is a power move you can always go for

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Agents are GO! posted:

E:

DoctorWhat posted:

Shell get all hard boiled on us

I eggspect you to get a sixer for this.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

E:

I eggspect you to get a sixer for this.

As long as it's not a dozen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

Everyone, man or woman, who has done character creation with me just wants to pick a woman and gas up the funballoons to as big as they'll go and Im not sure what this says about either them or me.

Boobs are funny.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Eggs are delicious. I like them. I eat an egg almost every day.

I started eating a few more each day and now tragically I have the physique of a god and my thunderous, barge like size precludes me from entering peasant hovels

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

AITA for telling my wife one month postpartum she needs to pull her weight?

quote:

So my wife (28) and me (31 M) welcomed our first kiddo into the world a month ago! I make enough to provide for now so she quit her job during her pregnancy to stay at home for an indefinite amount of time. I only got a couple of weeks off after she gave birth so I do understand so that I could take care of our little man while she focused on healing and nursing. Now that I am back to work, things are getting more difficult.

The house is constantly a mess and nothing ever gets done unless I do it myself. All of this being while I am the sole provider for the household and taking care of my son. These were a lot of the things we agreed she would do since she isn’t working.

I understand that nursing is hard and her body is still recovering and has been dealing with clogged milk ducts, chapped and bleeding nipples, and has to get up every couple of hours to nurse him, but it’s a little unfair of her to expect me to do everything just because she is nursing and recovering.

It’s even more difficult because outside of taking care of the house and my son most of the time, I’m also taking care of her. She needs me to help out clogs, help clean up things in the bathroom, get her this and that, won’t change or shower half of the time unless I tell her to. Even then she needs help.

So anyways all this frustration finally came to a head the other night: I was finishing up some work at the office pretty late into the evening. I come home to find my wife sleeping on the couch and hear my son crying upstairs. I run up and get him and after trying this and that he wanted to be fed. I take him down to my wife and wake her up and she’s nursing.

Just out of curiosity I check the baby monitor we have in his room and looked at the footage. He had been crying for almost two hours. On the video, my wife originally came in and tried some stuff including feeding and he wouldn’t settle down. This went on for an hour before she just gave up and went downstairs and didn’t come back up. This pissed me off and so I lost my temper a bit and yelled at her and said she needed to take more responsibility. I told her I can’t always be the one to do everything and she needs to start pulling her weight. That I’m tired too and I don’t get to ignore her or the baby and sleep all day.

After this I just needed some time to cool down so I went to the bar with a friend and stayed out longer than I was expecting. I come home and find the house immaculately cleaned and both the kiddo and her sleeping. I apologized the next morning but she just didn’t seem right and still doesn’t seem right. The house is clean and she looks after my son and is always the one rushing to him now. She never asks for help with anything even though I know it hurts her.

It needed to be said and I am relieved but I do feel bad for her. I don’t know if I sm justified here so AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

From r/legaladvice

Loud conspiracy theorists wrecking my friend's cafe business

quote:

Long story summarized, had posted to Advice but this may be better. This is in California:

Friend (no it's not me) owns cafe with outdoor patio. Main street area, much foot traffic.
Intent is to create community feel, so people have been encouraged to congregate on patio for long chats.
Small group of elderly retired men have been taking over a table for angry, hateful, conspiracy-laden rants that go on for hours. Anti-vax is just one of them, but there's also a lot of general paranoia. They are LOUD and make the patio very unpleasant.
So now her other regular customers have been avoiding the place and business has plummeted.
What should she do about this? A rule about "no loud conspiracy talk" seems to violate free speech. I was thinking a new rule that you can only sit for 30 minutes but that might drive away everyone else. There's no rule in our county that you must be vaxxed to congregate outside. Can she get away with "reserve the right to refuse service?"