Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Archer666 posted:

The idea of gender identity is incredibly vague, as (biology aside) what makes a "man" or "woman" is dependent on both the times you're living in as well as the culture you're part of, isn't it? Same with a feminine or masculine style.

Not sure what this is trying to get at, honestly. Gender roles, presentation, etc. can shift quickly, but people exist within their own context and time. I think the distinction being made is more important than the details of that distinction, I guess?

And definitely gender is restrictive & I think that argument that it shouldn't matter carries a ton of weight, but you're still going to be dealing with people making essentialist arguments, e.g. "what about having children?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I gave birth to ur mom's dick

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Sorry you had to deal with her!

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

mkvltra posted:

What about the ability to give birth?

I’ve dated multiple cishet women who could couldn’t give birth. I sure would love to hear your point here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i feel like society keeps getting so weird in so many stupid ways, like how literally most of america believes in a satanic pedophile conspiracy, why can't we get weird in any good way...

i don't think it would be that bad if we just stopped... just stopped. with gender. just who cares. literally who cares. why, what in the world purpose does it serve, to think of a "man" in a "skirt" as "weird" or to think a "woman" with facial hair is "unusual"

like twopoints here

1. literallyeveryone is "unusual" in some way
2. literally nobody is "special", nobody is "unusual"

so in conclusion

NOTHING IS TRUE
EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED

DO WHAT THOU WILT

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

mkvltra posted:

What about the ability to give birth?

Just make your point about how if you can't give birth then you're not a real woman and save us all the time.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Ive dated a couple of cis het women myself op.
Not to toot my own horn

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i've uh... heh... i've "dated"...

sometimes i've even dated "real people"

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

Ive dated a couple of cis het women myself op.
Not to toot my own horn

I've dated some women that made poop come out their assz

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Sorry you had to deal with that!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I've dated some women that made poop come out their assz

haha gross!! who does that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
im very glad that, of the many ways in which im hosed up, i dont think poop is either sexy or incredibly gross. like people who have poop fetishes are as weird to me as having a fetish for like...arm hair or earwax

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

precision posted:

i feel like society keeps getting so weird in so many stupid ways, like how literally most of america believes in a satanic pedophile conspiracy, why can't we get weird in any good way...

i don't think it would be that bad if we just stopped... just stopped. with gender. just who cares. literally who cares. why, what in the world purpose does it serve, to think of a "man" in a "skirt" as "weird" or to think a "woman" with facial hair is "unusual"

like twopoints here

1. literallyeveryone is "unusual" in some way
2. literally nobody is "special", nobody is "unusual"

so in conclusion

NOTHING IS TRUE
EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED

DO WHAT THOU WILT

My mom told me I'm special so I think there are some issues with your working out.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fiddler on the Reef posted:

This part, especially "most people have an internal perception of themselves as having a particular gender category" I don't get at all, don't experience at all, and the whole idea seems fairly regressive (insofar as it seems to reinforce gender roles).

I guess I sympathize with NBs insofar as it's an attempt to escape the pink and blue boxes created by society, but it also lends credence to those boxes, and presupposes the existence of some sort of internal gender identity that is somehow separate and distinct from gender roles (seems almost religious to me).

Seems to be that id'ing out of those pink and blue boxes is futile. Identify NB all you want, but if you're (born) a woman, society's gonna treat you like one with all the oppression that comes with it, regardless of if you identify nonbinary. Instead of escaping the boxes, we should be tearing them down instead... imo.

I think you're really, really misunderstanding.

These things are pretty ephemeral in the end, and a lot of what ive done since beginning this poo poo in 2018 has been inverting a sense of rigid category with regards to gender, into a fluid spectrum that any given mind falls within.

Most of the time, the colored boxes work fine, for most people, and toxic elements aside, there's nothing really wrong with inhabiting one or the other firmly, or putting one foot in either box; it is largely the insistence that these boxes do not exist in a fluid spectrum that causes much of the harm that relates to gender. Most people, statistically gonna fit pretty well inside an amab/afab gender role for their culture. That really doesnt mean nothing else exists or can be accepted or done

I have known true non binary folks, who truly do not inhabit anything anywhere close to the usual binary. They do not straddle some arbitrary androgyne line, they exist outside of that binary well and truly entirely.

Like frankly I am thinking of one person i know, who is truly otherworldly, and does not inhabit gender the way someone in the statistical average might.

Ive met folks, who remind me of an authentic and not-lovely version of that old SNL character, Pat? Like stuff like that happens, where people consciously and eagerly eschew all trappings of gendered expression, and it's loving cool imo, but it's also not me, it's hard to relate to, but easy to accept, and celebrate.

Like you really dont need to get it, most people can only understand a range of human expression that fits inside their abitrary range of known experience, and in billions of people across a multitude of cultures that exist in their own spectrums of experience, it is really dumb to erase or insist some ephemeral qualia of human experience is somehow less real or less valid than yours.

Trans and nonbinary folks spend a lot of time thinking about and quantifying how their experience is unlike expected norms, we approach this as honestly as we can on the whole ime, because at some point it was probably crucial to our happiness if not survival, and you should trust what you read from these folks as an authentic reflection of self coming from someone as capable as you in pontificating this poo poo, and not purely academic theorizing to be tossed aside because you can't personally grok it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

hey just to quote this from earlier but Gnosia has a couple non-binary characters and allows the player to be as well

also it’s basically single player Mafia which sounds like it shouldn’t work at all but i think it’s really cool

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rockman Reserve posted:

hey just to quote this from earlier but Gnosia has a couple non-binary characters and allows the player to be as well

also it’s basically single player Mafia which sounds like it shouldn’t work at all but i think it’s really cool

OH poo poo OH poo poo OH gently caress

i knew about this game but i forgot about it bc it wasn't on steam but NOW IT IS?!

OH poo poo

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I feel like what this thread needs in an injection of actual queer theory, because we have a lot of people thinking they're presenting some bold new takes who don't realize there's a whole other deep end of the pool.

I took a few pictures of some pages from Queer: A Graphic History by Meg-John Barker and Jules Scheele. Sorry they're a bit crooked, it's hard to take good pictures of comic pages while also holding the book open :/

Page 16 - I share this one because I think this might surprise some people and is a good basic intro:

Pages 27-31 continue on the above theme - a bit of context, just before these pages we were presented with the history of sex research and sexology (Kinsey scale, etc), which ended up shaping our perceptions both of gender and sexual intimacy:

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 1, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
How was the film Predestination recieved by the enby community?

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

Riot Bimbo posted:

I think you're really, really misunderstanding.

These things are pretty ephemeral in the end, and a lot of what ive done since beginning this poo poo in 2018 has been inverting a sense of rigid category with regards to gender, into a fluid spectrum that any given mind falls within.

Most of the time, the colored boxes work fine, for most people, and toxic elements aside, there's nothing really wrong with inhabiting one or the other firmly, or putting one foot in either box; it is largely the insistence that these boxes do not exist in a fluid spectrum that causes much of the harm that relates to gender. Most people, statistically gonna fit pretty well inside an amab/afab gender role for their culture. That really doesnt mean nothing else exists or can be accepted or done

I have known true non binary folks, who truly do not inhabit anything anywhere close to the usual binary. They do not straddle some arbitrary androgyne line, they exist outside of that binary well and truly entirely.

Like frankly I am thinking of one person i know, who is truly otherworldly, and does not inhabit gender the way someone in the statistical average might.

Ive met folks, who remind me of an authentic and not-lovely version of that old SNL character, Pat? Like stuff like that happens, where people consciously and eagerly eschew all trappings of gendered expression, and it's loving cool imo, but it's also not me, it's hard to relate to, but easy to accept, and celebrate.

Like you really dont need to get it, most people can only understand a range of human expression that fits inside their abitrary range of known experience, and in billions of people across a multitude of cultures that exist in their own spectrums of experience, it is really dumb to erase or insist some ephemeral qualia of human experience is somehow less real or less valid than yours.

Trans and nonbinary folks spend a lot of time thinking about and quantifying how their experience is unlike expected norms, we approach this as honestly as we can on the whole ime, because at some point it was probably crucial to our happiness if not survival, and you should trust what you read from these folks as an authentic reflection of self coming from someone as capable as you in pontificating this poo poo, and not purely academic theorizing to be tossed aside because you can't personally grok it

I'm not saying anyone's being inauthentic, just as I wouldn't accuse a deeply religious person of being inauthentic. I just take issue with the inherent implication that people who don't id as NB necessarily id as either a male or female gender (both of which cannot be concretely defined outside sexism). Like I don't think gender identity is actually a thing for the vast majority of people. The characterization of it as some unconscious state that exists in everyone, is definitely there, but can only be detected when it causes someone distress seems to be pure mysticism.

We're not gonna get anywhere here since we're coming at this from two completely different axiomatic frameworks (you believe in an innate and universal gender identity, while I do not)...

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Outrail posted:

How was the film Predestination recieved by the enby community?

never knew about the movie but All You Zombies is one of my favorite short stories

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i started GNOSIA

it loving owns like hell holy poo poo

i'm only on the third loop but for real, hot drat

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't think gender identity is actually a thing for the vast majority of people.

Some galaxy brain hot takes going on here.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's true whether your black, Asian, or regular

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Cis people actually aren't cis because they don't think about being cis and therefore can't be because you didn't think therefore you amn't.

Just pulling out the big guns here folks. Joining the Galaxy Krew.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Like I don't think gender identity is actually a thing for the vast majority of people.

I'm not really sure what this means. Are you saying most people don't identify as having a gender?

I went to an all boys school and it seems like the majority of teenage boys are very, very keenly aware of gender identity. A very toxic understanding in most cases.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
I don't understand it nor do I feel it ergo it does not exist thank you and goodnight

really though, do you think a cis man will just not care if people started treating him like he was a woman? Or a cis woman, if she was referred to as if she were a man? That's what I mean by "you don't feel it unless something's up," if your gender starts being undermined you're going to realize you're not comfortable with that, because you are/aren't a man/woman, drat it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

precision posted:

i started GNOSIA

it loving owns like hell holy poo poo

i'm only on the third loop but for real, hot drat

i fell asleep playing it on the switch and dreamt raqio stole all my loving weed

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
many people are keenly aware of my gender, and for that, i am truly sorry

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Archer666 posted:

The idea of gender identity is incredibly vague, as (biology aside) what makes a "man" or "woman" is dependent on both the times you're living in as well as the culture you're part of, isn't it?

i think you are really over interpreting what i’m saying. if someone handed you a form, and it asked you check your gender as male/female/other, does one of those answers feel more correct than the others? in the most basic sense, that is your gender identity. that’s all.

(obv other isn’t a gender identity and needs more specificity, that’s just what i tend to see on forms)

Ocean Book fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 2, 2022

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Like I don't think gender identity is actually a thing for the vast majority of people.

I wish I lived in a world where "You _____ like a GIRL" has never been used to insult boys or men.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

I wish I lived in a world where "You _____ like a GIRL" has never been used to insult boys or men.

Fully agree

That one is clear and direct but calling men a bitch or sissy is also saying "you are acting female and therefore bad/weak", it's just easier to hand wave away the genderedness

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Remember when the world was so confused by men getting manicures and buying moisturizer that they came up with an entire word for it and spent like a year mocking those men in the media like every day?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Picnic Princess posted:

Remember when the world was so confused by men getting manicures and buying moisturizer that they came up with an entire word for it and spent like a year mocking those men in the media like every day?

im pretty sure "metrosexuals" were made fun of for more than a year, more like "the entire 90s and 00s"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The characterization of it as some unconscious state that exists in everyone, is definitely there, but can only be detected when it causes someone distress seems to be pure mysticism.

Have you considered listening?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You care about your appearance! Ha-ha

-Nelson, the avatar of childish bullying

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

an insult that idk if it was common or just like the good ol boys from around me that my brother and his friends would use for people who were androgynous like me or "metro" like my brother in law greg was to call us Hollywood

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
HEY HOLLYWOOD U WANNA ZIMA HA HA HEY HOLLYWOOD IS THAT A PERMMMMMMMMMM HA HA HA SUCK MY DICK IT WOULD BE SO FUNNY IF YOU PUT YOUR MOTUH ON MY PENIS HAHAHAHA

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

precision posted:

HEY HOLLYWOOD U WANNA ZIMA HA HA HEY HOLLYWOOD IS THAT A PERMMMMMMMMMM HA HA HA SUCK MY DICK IT WOULD BE SO FUNNY IF YOU PUT YOUR MOTUH ON MY PENIS HAHAHAHA

so it wasnt just local then

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yes, unfortunately

they had zima everywhere

:grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames