Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Barudak posted:

They don't like Lilo in Japan, but love stitch, so she gets written out of all their EU content.

No gay on MY day

Is it for racist reasons or is it something more unusual?

Mr. Lobe posted:

I hear they had a similar reaction to Snoopy vs Charlie Brown
Which one do they dislike?

AITA for telling and orphan they will never understand the pain of losing a parent?

quote:

I recently lost my father, it has not been easy but we are all dealing with it. The situation at hand involves a coworker, Jan, who was abandoned at birth and grew up with no parents or consistent loved ones to be considered parent. I went back to work a week after my fathers death, i wanted more time to grieve but i still chose to go back. Now we are allowed two 15 minute breaks a day whenever we want within reason, but we never take them because we are usually busy or just dont want, but the option is there.

So I have started taking a break usually once every two days because i need to clear my head, unfortunately we are understaffed due to covid so this means everyone else has to pick up the slack for a bit when I step away. Now earlier today when I came back from my break Jan started saying that after i left we got really busy and i should have been there. I told her I had to clear my head because i cant work or deal with customers when my mind is full of invasive thoughts. She said I still should not have left.

Now me and Jan dont typically get along, mainly because she tries to boss me around, so I didnt want to deal with her on a good day let alone now. As soon as she said "I understand that losing your dad is bad" I cut her off and said, "No you dont, you never had parents so you ill never understand the pain of losing one." This resulted in heavy silence, the manager who heard me say it pulling me aside so I could sit and try to calm down, and eventually sending home for the day. As far as I know I won't be written up because Jan being on my case is a known issue, but I may have crossed a line. AITA fo saying what i said?

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Mr. Lobe posted:

I hear they had a similar reaction to Snoopy vs Charlie Brown

In parts of Europe Peanuts is literally known as "Snoopy".

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Invisible Clergy posted:

Which one do they dislike?

That mopey bald kid

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for telling and orphan they will never understand the pain of losing a parent?

I'm not going to blame her for saying a lovely thing while grieving. She should probably apologize and find some way to never interact with that person again. She deserves an apology from her coworker trying to be her boss but I doubt that would happen.

The capitalist hell world stuff in there about breaks is depressing as hell.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Mx. posted:

AITA for wanting to bring my girlfriend as a date to my sister's wedding instead of one of the groomsmen?

I'm betting the sister and her fiancé are ostensibly fine with the gays but his family is "old fashioned," so the OP's just going to have to pretend to be straight to avoid embarrassing her sister in front of her new in-laws.

I wonder if the other dude is gay too since it sounds like they're the only people who weren't given a plus one.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not giving my sister my baby?

quote:

My (f22) sister (f33) is infertile and desperately wants a baby. I recently became pregnant with my boyfriends (m23) child. This was very shocking as I am on birth Control and we also use protection often because I don’t want children and am paranoid about getting pregnant. I didn’t tell my sister about my pregnancy because I didn’t want to upset her. My boyfriend and I decided I’ll have the baby and give it up for adoption. We found a couple through the adoption agency that We really liked and decided to give them our child.

The thought of giving the baby never occurred to me for a few reasons, 1. She is adamant she doesn’t want to adopt or have a surrogate because she wants to carry the child herself.2. She is very controlling and would completely take over the pregnancy and make it all about her 3. I would be very uncomfortable with the thought of having a child that my sister raises and thinks is her biological mother, I wouldn’t be able to do it.

When I started showing I told my parents and sister. My parents were super supportive but my sister was so upset. She was outraged that I didn’t offer her the baby. When I brought up the fact that she didn’t want a surrogate or to adopt she said that she could make her peace with it if it were me because were so similar, she could live vicariously through me and that I was very easy to control so she could make sure that I do the pregnancy the way she wants. My parents are on my side about this but my BIL and his parents are on my sisters side and say that I’m being selfish and I betrayed my sister. Am I the rear end in a top hat for not giving my baby to my sister?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Evil Willow posted:

When I brought up the fact that she didn’t want a surrogate or to adopt she said that she could make her peace with it if it were me because were so similar, she could live vicariously through me and that I was very easy to control so she could make sure that I do the pregnancy the way she wants.

https://youtu.be/cOy6hqzfsAs

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
From “Give me your house,” to “Give me your firstborn.”

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mx. posted:

AITA for being Hawaiian and having my dad talk to the principal.

Shut up base brat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

Is it for racist reasons or is it something more unusual?

Japanese people love Hawaii a lot, but like Paris its a weird idealized thing. The backlash is because of how Lilo acts which did not gel well culturally in Japan with parents or kids at the time, even if to you and me shes very normal for going through an awful situation.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for asking for more child support?

quote:

I (31 f) have a 10 year old child with my ex, (40 m) several years ago we had parenting time and support established as week on week off with him paying $11.00 a month in child support. Right after the order was established, he called me and said he no longer wanted to do week on week off, he wanted me to take our child full time with him getting the child every other weekend only. For years he's been paying $11.00 a month in child support but not having the child more than every other weekend but he has told me if I need anything at all for the child to just ask and he'd help out. However, every time I've asked he's told me "sorry I can't right now". I've tried being nice, I've even offered extra days or weekends with his child and he has refused, even getting mad sometimes. Recently the court sent me paperwork stating I was allowed to request a review of the support order, so I requested one. He just received the notice in the mail that the court is launching an investigation into the matter. He called me furious, stating $11.00 is plenty considering I claim him on my taxes every year and he reminded me he offered to help out when I need it. It's true that I claim him on my taxes every year, but I think it's fair considering i am the person who takes care of our child the most. But now I'm wondering if I went too far and if the ..11.. a month really is enough. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Edit to add, I'm from the US, the $11.00 is USD.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my brother's girlfriend that it was weird for her to keep an urn of her late husband's ashes in the house?

quote:

Okay, So this happened last night while me (M23) and my family were visiting my brother's (M30) girlfriend's (F30) house for the first time.

We were all sitting at dinner table and I remembered when my brother's girlfriend, who's a widow, saying that she keeps an urn of her late husband's ashes in the house. Conversation let from one thing to another then, I looked at my brother and asked him quietly if he was comfortable with having his girlfriend's late husband's urn in the house. he gave me a long stare so I figured the answer was yes but maybe, he couldn't tell his girlfriend about it fearing she'd misunderstand maybe?. So I brought it up with her and told her it was quite weird to have her late husband's urn in the house. She looked at me and was apparently caught off guard by what I said. she said that she didn't think so and that it wasn't like the urn was on display, also said this is her late husband's house and where the urn should be. I told her it felt weird especially, since she just had my brother move in with her and he must be feeling uncomfortable with the idea, his girlfriend looked upset and got quiet. my brother shouted "none of your goddamned business, shut your mouth Elijah, jeezus!" I responded with "I mean..personally I wouldn't be cool with my girl keeping an urn of her ex within close approximate, at best best it'd make me feel uncomfortable, at worst it'd make me feel creeped out." his girlfriend then replyed by saying that I have no business dating a widow then and I shrugged. She excused herself to the kitchen and stayed there, my brother went off on me calling me an obnoxios rear end in a top hat for making dinner awkward and upsetting his girlfriend. I told him I was just giving my opinion but he lashed out more.

my parents and I left and they told me my brother's girlfriend was being hypersensitive, but I too went too far and upset my brother and probably sparked an argument between them and I should reach to apologize but I'm not sure.

[edit] Guys! please, One thing you should know is that I had no intentions of being hurtful. I do not hate my brother's girlfriend, infact, we get along pretty well but I just wanted to add that I had no malicious intent here. I'm not the the type of guys who go out of their way to act maliciously but I feel kind of guilty for how the situation played out. [edit2] my parents are the ones who said she was being hypersensitive, not me. [edit3] Yes, I overheard my brother venting about the urn when he first moved in just so you know.

we got a whole family of dipshits here

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for asking for more child support?

I don't understand how you could get a monthly child support award in that amount. In Illinois, it is 20% of your net income. I can't imagine that it's orders of magnitude different elsewhere

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

therobit posted:

Unless Grandma was totally senile when she made the last will, which would be strange because the notary isn’t supposed to stamp anything unless the person is with it enough to know what they are signing, what is written matters a lot more than what they say. My grandfather promised to will the farm to several different people but in the end it was split between his kids because that’s what the will said. Also if they want to argue she was too senile to know what she was doing, then why would her telling them verbally that they could have the house be any mor valid than a written document?

All really good arguments.

That will probably be made, very expensively, in court.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Just the other day I was wondering, “How do I piss my wife off enough that I will be hearing about it for as long as I’m married to her?”

AITA for upgrading to a business class ticket while my wife sits in economy

quote:

So I (m25) and my wife (f24) are going to the United States from Japan for a month for vacation, and when we booked the tickets, we initially thought that we were going to be sitting next to each other, but I had the option to upgrade my seat to business with miles and I did. Well, my wife is not too happy about that because she wanted to sit together on the 12 hour flight, but it’s overnight so we’re gonna be sleeping the whole flight so I didn’t think it mattered. I told her that and she got upset because she thinks I chose business class over her and that’s rude apparently. I said to her that she’s just jealous (in a teasing joking way) and she got upset and told me to ask the airline to see if I can switch my seat back to economy. I said hell no because I’m not going to miss my opportunity to sit in business class (which looks amazing btw, look up “ANA the room”). In my eyes, it’s just a 12 hour flight and it doesn’t matter if I sit next to my wife or not. If it’s really bad though I still have a week before my flight to maybe get it changed. AITA?

Edit: yeah I’m the AH, I’m buying her the upgrade to sit next to me in business

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Admiralty Flag posted:

I don't understand how you could get a monthly child support award in that amount. In Illinois, it is 20% of your net income. I can't imagine that it's orders of magnitude different elsewhere
They had 50/50 custody. The payment reflects the official custody agreement, not the later child abandonment.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

therobit posted:

Just the other day I was wondering, “How do I piss my wife off enough that I will be hearing about it for as long as I’m married to her?”

How the gently caress does anyone reach the conclusion this is okay lol

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

They had 50/50 custody. The payment reflects the official custody agreement, not the later child abandonment.

Yeah, my cousin has 50/50 custody and just alternate weeks in the same part of town so that neither he nor his ex-wife have to pay support. Of course, his ex-wife keeps quitting jobs and he is actually trying to build a career so if she figures out she can take him back to court because he makes more now it might be trouble down the road.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

therobit posted:

God drat wives, always thinking we "have to be physically near each other" or "I might want to talk to you." She should understand, its business class.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Brawnfire posted:

How the gently caress does anyone reach the conclusion this is okay lol

My partner and I used to travel overseas yearly because her worked paid for her to go. They pay for her to fly business class but I'm on my own for tickets. She flies up there and enjoys a sleep while I'm quite happy booking any economy seat that gets me a bit of leg room and reading a book. This is discussed well in advance though and gets me a very cheap month holiday every year so it works.

This is moot now because lol at the idea of sitting in a covid chamber for the length of time it takes to fly anywhere from here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

Japanese people love Hawaii a lot, but like Paris its a weird idealized thing. The backlash is because of how Lilo acts which did not gel well culturally in Japan with parents or kids at the time, even if to you and me shes very normal for going through an awful situation.

Basically Japan isn't big on the idea of kids expressing emotions and being anything but well behaved and obedient apparently.

But haha funny alien

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA For not punishing my autistic son when he asks people if they want him lie?

quote:

My son is fifteen and very blunt. You ask him a question and he tells the truth. Its never something I've tried to correct; I dont think it necessarily needs correcting.

However, it really upsets some family members. The biggest thing recently was my brother and his wife are having a baby, and she mentioned wanting to name the baby MacKayleighah. Which is a mouthful. She then asked our opinions.

My son told her it was spelt weird and that he didnt like it. She got super upset and started crying. I dont personally think he did anything wrong - she asked a question and got an answer.

He kinda shrugged it off and said he wanted to go home. We went home.

That annoyed them even more. Its been a few tidbits - people asking about clothes and hair. He's always honest.

With the whole baby thing everything is seeming much more tense. Because of that, now whenever someone asks a question, he asks them if they want him to lie or not.

They dont like this either. I was contacted by my brother, telling me I need to discipline my son when he's rude, and teach him that being truthfully kind and just being truthful are different (I'm not really sure how to explain that one?)

I disagree. He realised they were getting upset, so now he clarifies before he answers. Its working out well for him. My husband appreciates it a lot more lol.

This has obviously devolved in a fight because why wouldnt it in this family. Usually arguments have at least some form of split, but with this one its just me against them.

Which makes me second guess myself. So, aita?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA For not punishing my autistic son when he asks people if they want him lie?

Tact is a skill and it's one this dad has neglected to teach. Kid needs to learn how and when to be blunt. Honesty is a positive trait but that has to be balanced vs upsetting people for no reason.

This is something I had to learn myself. I use a set of metrics like:
-Does my opinion actually matter to the person I'm taking to?
-Does the thing in question actually matter? Are there actual consequences on the line?
-If they get upset at my opinion will I want to try and take it back? Is my opinion important enough to upset people over?
-Is there anything that can be done one way or another?
-Would I feel better having shared my honest opinion, or would I feel better from having backed people up and supported them?
-Is there an obvious truth that is being intentionally overlooked out of politeness?

Someone shows you their newborn baby. There were complications and it's seriously kind of messed-up looking. Should you be honest?

No
You liking the baby's appearance or not is irrelevant, it's not even your baby
Nobody had or has any control over how the baby looks, and if they did, this was probably the best they could do
Are you a pediatric plastic surgeon? No? You can't help, shut up
The parents know the baby looks funny no one gains anything by you saying it
You could have backed up your friends and made them feel a tiny bit better about a bad situation but instead you upset them, for no benefit to anyone

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for accidentally sleeping on the couch with my husband?

quote:

My (24f) husband (24m) and I are visiting my family.

My husband, kids and I were getting ready to go to our room for bed when my parents started acting really awkward. Like something was off.

I asked them what was wrong and my mom quietly told me that my husband should sleep on the couch in the living room. I was a bit shocked because... why? Apparently my dad doesn’t feel comfortable. I called her and my dad weird and told my husband to ignore them.

We finally put our kids to sleep and are getting ready to sleep when my mom barges into the room while we’re changing and says that she doesn’t want us in the same room alone in her house. My husband is freaking terrified at this point because he was in the middle of changing so he leaves for the couch and my mom says she’s sorry but she’s not in the mood to deal with my dad’s complaining all night.

I pointed out that my younger sister (21f) and her husband have slept in the same room at their house MULTIPLE times and she’s never said anything and she goes “well... your husband is white so your dad feels weird.” I was over it so I said fine.

I got up at like 4am to drink some water and I saw my husband wide awake just lying on the couch. He said the couch is uncomfortable as gently caress (which yes it is) so I sat down next to him and we both accidentally fell asleep.

I woke up later to my mom freaking out. She was whisper yelling (so she doesn’t wake up my dad) and asked if we’re that codependent on each other that we can’t spend one night alone. I tried explaining that it was a mistake but she kept calling me disrespectful and said that I was selfish etc. I was upset but my son called for me so we ended our conversation.

Now I’m wondering if I really am the rear end in a top hat in this situation? My mom says I am because I was being selfish, disrespectful and completely disregarded how difficult her life would’ve become if my dad found us. My whole thing is that it was an accident, I’m 24, my dad is being weird and my sister’s husband doesn’t have to do this so why does mine? AITA?

Edit:

My family and I are south asian.

Edit:

Yes, I know a lot of this has to do with my husband being white and them being racist/prejudiced.

I called my parents weird/strange/awkward because of what they were doing (glaring at each other, swearing at each other under their breaths, randomly going quiet out of nowhere etc). They do this pretty often and have been doing it for as long as I can remember. So much that my sister and I call it the “weird mood”.

Like “keep an eye out for mom and dad, they’re in their weird mood.”

Sorry for so many edits but this should be the last one. I’m getting a lot of people asking the same thing so I’m just going to copy one of my replies.

“My kids were not in danger.

We live over 8 hours away, it was snowing HEAVILY and the roads would’ve been icy and pitch black, it was after 11pm, my sons are 2 and 3 and the nearest hotel is pretty far away. Not to mention my husband and I had been driving for literal hours and were completely exhausted.

Trust me, we definitely thought about it and BOTH my husband and I decided to stay the night.”

What the gently caress?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Also the alternative isn't "lying", it's "find something positive that you can truthfully say".

"What do you think of baby Pnurtis?"
"I love his clear blue eyes! And such a big boy too!"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Uncle Enzo posted:

Tact is a skill and it's one this dad has neglected to teach. Kid needs to learn how and when to be blunt. Honesty is a positive trait but that has to be balanced vs upsetting people for no reason.

Broadly true, but in the specific scenario mentioned, the son was entirely right to share his honest opinion, that is an absolutely awful name with which no child deserves to be saddled. I’d have to see some other examples of his brutal honesty before definitively declaring him as lacking tact.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Everyone knows white men leak leather polish fluid in their sleep so its honestly rude of him to not sleep on the couch.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

AITA for having and argument with bartender and restaurant manager over $8 appetizer?

quote:

Starts with my hubs and I both having lovely days, irrespective of each other. We decide to go have paella. Small Spanish place, 5 min from home, never been there, has good reviews. We either had to wait for a table, or sit at a nearly empty bar. Sit at bar to get to the paella faster. We sit, do the back and forth with the bartender, order drinks, empanada app, the large paella. We drink, eat, compliment the delicious salsa for the empanadas. Finish. The glorious paella plate comes out. We start scooping and eating, laughing, eating. needs salt. get salt. I go for another scoop, make sure to catch a couple more mussels this time. Talking, hubs is eating, I poke a fork into my mussel, husband pauses, has a weird look on his face, Did somebody just walk by us & fart? What? I laugh, as I catch a whiff and realize it's COMING FROM MY PLATE! 🤯😵🤮

I pat my his shoulder, as he's looking around to see who could have done such a thing! I quietly point to my plate and laugh. Hubs sniffs it, No way! Ooo waaaay! We laugh, I flag the bartender, he sniffs & quickly backs up, takes plates away, mumbling sorry under his breath. Comes back & asks us if we want anything else, "anything but the paella, haha", he says. We politely laugh, I decline, hubby grumbles that he's still hungry. Looks over menu. I point to the pork chop appetizer. "Get this", I say, "it's not seafood and should be filling". Orders it, eats it, it's tasty, he's satisfied. We sit back, finish drinks. Check comes out, paella is not on there, but the empanadas, pork chops, two beers, two martinis, are all on there. And this is where I lose it! Why the gently caress would you loving charge us for the loving pork chops? Why? You have just loving lost a customer. -I scream in my head- but politely ask the bartender why he would do that? His answer "well, your husband ate them, but I took off the paella, it's a $40 paella", at which I reply, "but why? You guys served me rotting mussels, I didn't make a fuss out of it, the least you can do is comp the paella, but why charge us for the $8 pork chops? Like that's just horrible customer service!" To which he replies, "that's just our policy, he ate it."

Husband gives card to run, and I ask to talk to the manager. We pay, don't tip. Manager comes over, starts mumbling something about being sorry for our experience, to which I say, "did you smell it? Did you smell that nasty thing that I almost ate?" He mumbles something about apologizing for the chef, to which I reply, "usually the chef comes out to apologize for these types of things, but that's not the point, why in the world would you charge us for the pork chops? That's just horrible customer service!" At this point, I get quiet, laugh, and we walk out. Laughing, making fun of the situation. I did not post on the socials. I did not leave a 1 star review. I chose this anonymous forum to ask AITA?
(added paragraph breaks)

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 2, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

How do I kindly tell my Boyfriend that he needs to educate himself on some topics before talking about them

quote:

Hi! So like the title says, I (20F) have been in a relationship for about a month, and we had a discussion about birth control. I have the nexaplanon and ( obviously) I can’t control when i menstruate and I was telling my bf(29M) about it. He said if i changed my diet i would be able to control when i started my period……… He also said some ignorant stuff around the topic of food and sex, and I said that sounds like a yeast infection waiting to happen and he said oh i’m a hygienic person you don’t have to worry. …. How do i kindly say that if he doesn’t know anything about the topic or knows little to none about it, he should educate himself, maybe say he doesn’t know the topic that well, or shut the gently caress up. Like I want him to be educated on this, and I understand that sex education lacks in the US, however I really don’t want to be continuously teaching him about the female anatomy.

Tldr: I am struggling with a kind way to educate my boyfriend about topics he should already know.

lol

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Barudak posted:

Everyone knows white men leak leather polish fluid in their sleep so its honestly rude of him to not sleep on the couch.

This is true, it’s led to some awkward moments

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Uncle Enzo posted:

This is something I had to learn myself. I use a set of metrics like:
-Does my opinion actually matter to the person I'm taking to?
-Does the thing in question actually matter? Are there actual consequences on the line?
-If they get upset at my opinion will I want to try and take it back? Is my opinion important enough to upset people over?
-Is there anything that can be done one way or another?
-Would I feel better having shared my honest opinion, or would I feel better from having backed people up and supported them?
-Is there an obvious truth that is being intentionally overlooked out of politeness?

Someone shows you their newborn baby. There were complications and it's seriously kind of messed-up looking. Should you be honest?

No
You liking the baby's appearance or not is irrelevant, it's not even your baby
Nobody had or has any control over how the baby looks, and if they did, this was probably the best they could do
Are you a pediatric plastic surgeon? No? You can't help, shut up
The parents know the baby looks funny no one gains anything by you saying it
You could have backed up your friends and made them feel a tiny bit better about a bad situation but instead you upset them, for no benefit to anyone

This is utter incoherent nonsense and it should be taught to nobody. If you follow a flowchart like this, you will come across like you're following a flowchart.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for having and argument with bartender and restaurant manager over $8 appetizer?

quote:

Starts with my hubs and I both having lovely days, irrespective of each other. We decide to go have paella. Small Spanish place, 5 min from home, never been there, has good reviews. We either had to wait for a table, or sit at a nearly empty bar. Sit at bar to get to the paella faster. We sit, do the back and forth with the bartender, order drinks, empanada app, the large paella. We drink, eat, compliment the delicious salsa for the empanadas. Finish. The glorious paella plate comes out. We start scooping and eating, laughing, eating. needs salt. get salt. I go for another scoop, make sure to catch a couple more mussels this time. Talking, hubs is eating, I poke a fork into my mussel, husband pauses, has a weird look on his face, Did somebody just walk by us & fart? What? I laugh, as I catch a whiff and realize it's COMING FROM MY PLATE! 🤯😵🤮

I pat my his shoulder, as he's looking around to see who could have done such a thing! I quietly point to my plate and laugh. Hubs sniffs it, No way! Ooo waaaay! We laugh, I flag the bartender, he sniffs & quickly backs up, takes plates away, mumbling sorry under his breath. Comes back & asks us if we want anything else, "anything but the paella, haha", he says. We politely laugh, I decline, hubby grumbles that he's still hungry. Looks over menu. I point to the pork chop appetizer. "Get this", I say, "it's not seafood and should be filling". Orders it, eats it, it's tasty, he's satisfied. We sit back, finish drinks. Check comes out, paella is not on there, but the empanadas, pork chops, two beers, two martinis, are all on there. And this is where I lose it!

Why the gently caress would you loving charge us for the loving pork chops? Why? You have just loving lost a customer. -I scream in my head- but politely ask the bartender why he would do that? His answer "well, your husband ate them, but I took off the paella, it's a $40 paella", at which I reply, "but why? You guys served me rotting mussels, I didn't make a fuss out of it, the least you can do is comp the paella, but why charge us for the $8 pork chops? Like that's just horrible customer service!" To which he replies, "that's just our policy, he ate it." Husband gives card to run, and I ask to talk to the manager. We pay, don't tip. Manager comes over, starts mumbling something about being sorry for our experience, to which I say, "did you smell it? Did you smell that nasty thing that I almost ate?" He mumbles something about apologizing for the chef, to which I reply, "usually the chef comes out to apologize for these types of things, but that's not the point, why in the world would you charge us for the pork chops? That's just horrible customer service!" At this point, I get quiet, laugh, and we walk out. Laughing, making fun of the situation. I did not post on the socials. I did not leave a 1 star review. I chose this anonymous forum to ask AITA?

(Added para breaks)

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

That story gives me flashbacks to the "noki" [sic] one.

AITA for laying off all my staff and moving my small business overseas?

quote:

I used to run a content production business in the UK.

I employed 15 members of staff.

I reside in Sweden.

I am now opting to move my business to Sweden because:

I want Brexit residency rights

I can easily find clients in Sweden, and they may be much more profitable.

As a result, I shut down my British company and made all 15 staff members redundant. They receive 3-months redundancy pay.

Everybody around me is calling me a dick.

I don't think I am.

Firstly, I have the right to shut down the company that I built up.

I have a need to move overseas and maintain my EU residency rights.

My staff have no loyalty to me, and I have no loyalty to them. It as a mutually beneficial relationship. I took 5% of all their earnings, and I found them their work.

So, AITA?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

That story gives me flashbacks to the "noki" [sic] one.

AITA for laying off all my staff and moving my small business overseas?

If his entire business is getting business for other people to work and taking a cut, he’s a loving moron for shutting it down when he could handle it remotely. He could just make it a satellite office, keep everyone there, and go make himself more money at home.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DemoneeHo posted:

And just in case it wasn't clear: Tact is the wrong move here. Like it almost always is, but that'll get super deep in the weeds of how social hierarchies work, so I shall pass.

The name's ridiculous, and the kid's being set up to do a power play between the parents, as can be seen from the brother's insistence on punishment.

You're going to ask an autistic kid a question like that? You're looking to get offended and will find a reason. Morton's fork, all options end up at "how horrible YOUR child is".

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my girlfriend her baths are expensive?

quote:

My girlfriend moved in with me 3 months ago. I have come to hate her nightly routine of baths. She soaks in a tube for an hour before bed. Facemasks candles, even loving rose petals. Sometimes to meditation music, wine or a book. She’s even got a pillow and a stupid bath tray.

I confronted her about the extra cost of money for the water and gas. I said she was wasteful.

I didn’t expect her to start crying and complaining that men always want to bring women down and I was being petty just like her father.

I said it cost me extra money for extravagant baths. She said fine she was no longer taking them at my place ever again.

I went away to work and she moved out. She called me petty and controlling. She’s staying with her best friend now but plans on moving back with her mother and sister next week.

I’m just in shock because I thought I had a good point of her running up utilities and she shouldn’t be so extravagant every night before bed. Maybe like once a week or something.

I asked her to come back and compromise but she’s being childish and has been boating on TikTok that she’s doing a valentines day with her mother at her favorite restaurant and her mom bought her bath accessories.

Everyone thinks I was overreacting but she dumped me because I said she took to many baths.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

i want OP to enumerate exactly how much extra money in water and gas this bath is over a shower

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

(Added para breaks)

Perhaps I’m being kneejerk and judgemental (perhaps? Of course I am), but goddamn I will instantly side against anyone who uses the term hubs or hubby. Makes my rear end in a top hat cringe.

Also god that noki story. gently caress. What a gem. Did it all for the noki (cmon) the noki (cmon) the noki

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

teen witch posted:

Perhaps I’m being kneejerk and judgemental (perhaps? Of course I am), but goddamn I will instantly side against anyone who uses the term hubs or hubby. Makes my rear end in a top hat cringe.

Also god that noki story. gently caress. What a gem. Did it all for the noki (cmon) the noki (cmon) the noki

Just in case there are people here who have no idea what the noki story is......

AITA for refusing to pay at a restaurant that was false advertising?

quote:

So my girlfriend (her 27 me 28) wants to go to this fancy new restaurant in the city that she’s heard good things about. We get there and it seems like one of those hipster places but whatever, I’m hungry.

I look at the menu and this place is crazy expensive - like every dish is more than $15-$20 and half the ingredients I’ve never heard of. I order the bison steak ($26) and my girlfriend orders some weird pasta, noki I think ($18). Very important, these were listed as ENTREES on the menu. Mind you with drinks plus tip this is going to come out to over $60 which is already ridiculous for dinner for two people.

So anyway we order as we are starving. My steak arrives and I am shocked, it’s like 6 small pieces of sliced steak with some weird sauce on the side and a small handful of salad. I joke to the waiter “where’s the rest of my steak?” and he explains they serve smaller portions at this restaurant because they focus on getting the highest quality ingredients. I don’t care if this bison was blessed by the pope himself it’s absurd to charge that much for such a small bit of steak, it’s highway robbery. When I go to restaurants I expect an entree to fill me up and be enough for leftovers.

I’m complaining to my girlfriend and she’s getting annoyed with me. Similar situation with her pasta it was like maybe 12 pieces of noki dressed up with some frou frou bullshit. Granted the food was pretty good but I can not get over how tiny these portions are. I’m a big guy and I like to eat, what can I say.

When the waiter comes back I inform him we will not be paying for our meal, and that they are falsely advertising entrees that barely qualify as a light snack. My girlfriend is begging me to stop but that’s where we’re different, I don’t let businesses push me around and rip me off.

A manager comes and apologizes but asks us to leave. I don’t end up paying as they realized I called them out on their bullshit. My girlfriend is silent the entire time on the way back. Im still hungry so I drive through McDonald’s and get a burger, and when I did that she asked to be dropped off at her place. It’s now the next day and I’m starting to think I didn’t handle the situation as well as I could have (I could have probably just asked for a discount). My girlfriend hasn’t responded to my texts so now I’m starting to think I’m an rear end in a top hat.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Edit to add, when I went to a concert one time, one of the food trucks was selling gnocchi with Nutella. OMG it was to die for! That's my gnocchi story.

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mx. posted:

How do I kindly tell my Boyfriend that he needs to educate himself on some topics before talking about them

lol

Is he a hotep? Does he think she has a period 'cause she eats corn? Lmao