Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Eldsluft posted:

I may need some advice... how to make records of old style turn-based combat interesting? Previously I skipped the details and simply post some comment instead but... I dunno. I feel like it was too close to something like walkthrough guide this way.

What are you trying to convey?

This is the question that needs to be answered first. If it's a bunch of random battles, that's a different feeling from a climactic boss fight. Look at things from the perspective of a reader: what would be the interesting parts to hear?

One method is to write based on the decisions you make. For example, if there's three different enemies in an area and only one is of any difficulty, you probably have some sort of plan for dealing with that enemy. You don't need to recount every encounter with that enemy, but how you handle one of the encounters is worth describing. Failed attempts on the way to figuring out that strategy could work, as could the times that you go "oh I have an idea" and it doesn't work and your party dies to Bad Breath.

Another approach is that sometimes events need to be shown, but you have no commentary to give. That's fine! Saying nothing is fine, as is using the opportunity to connect into larger thoughts or narratives. You can also look into gifs or composite screenshots for those situations: you might not have much to say about thirty seven different Zubat encounters but a screenshot of each put into a pleasing collage of events can convey everything you want.

You can also choose to devote attention to what's interesting. If there's nothing to comment on, maybe it's not worth showing?

You can also focus on the feelings of what you experience as a player, or maybe did when you played for the first time or was younger, or similar experiences in other games.

My preferred approach is to focus words and screenshots on decisions and events that are either important or dramatic. I go into update writing with a general idea of the narrative I want to present. For example, in my first update for FF7 NT I knew before I even started writing (hell before I finished recording) that I absolutely had to end the first update on eating poo poo in an optional battle I had no business losing and being sent back to before the first boss battle. I wrote everything with that in mind, focusing on my thoughts and experiences with the original and my observations of the mod's changes. There was a bit of emphasis on my knowledge of the game's mechanics and various sequences of dramatic irony. This all culminated in making the entire sequence feel like a nice smooth beginning just in time to show me screwing up when I had no business doing so, just so I could end on a stinger screenshot of my pre-boss save file.

Not every turn or even every battle was important for that narrative, so I focused on the ones that were. Similarly, not every thought I had or decision I made was important for the narrative of events, but I thought some were important for the flow of that narrative.

If you're worried about coming across as a bland walkthrough, think about what you want to read. If you're dissatisfied with what you've written, figure out what would make it better. In general, though, you can't go wrong injecting more emotions and opinions into things: one of the distinguishing features of an SSLP on here is the unique interplay between the player and the game, and your feelings and thoughts on the game are the main parts of that. In other words, you aren't going to bore your readers with your opinions on a game because your readers are implicitly here for those opinions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."
Thanks for the advice!
It was more a game about exploration, like a Dungeon Master speaking to you...
I guess I'll keep omitting the details about battles.
Well it was more about I'm going to stumble into a slightly longer boss fight. I guess omitting details were still safe.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Artix posted:

JRPG combat and videos are an imperfect fit but can be done, usually with plenty of editing or just outright cutting it out once you've seen enemies and how they fight. As mentioned, the fact of the matter is that there simply isn't anything to really say when you encounter enemy #37 for the fifteenth time this dungeon unless something very silly happens where you unexpectedly die or something so regardless of how you present the game, just start cutting encounters out once you've shown what they can do.

I've found what I think is a happy medium by aggressively timestamping the Cold Steel videos since YT dropped the Chapters feature. It lets me keep the videos largely unedited (which I prefer) while also offering a low-friction way out for anyone who just wants to get to the good parts. Plus just doing it all has helped me get significantly better at talking, period, so even the dungeony parts have improved a lot as we go.

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

May I ask.what I.should do if I want to change the title of my LP? Shall I contact the mods, or give up.since it was too much a waste of their time?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Eldsluft posted:

May I ask.what I.should do if I want to change the title of my LP? Shall I contact the mods, or give up.since it was too much a waste of their time?

Report the first post in your thread and just put, like, "can you please change my thread title to X" as the reason. It's the easiest way.

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

TheMcD posted:

Report the first post in your thread and just put, like, "can you please change my thread title to X" as the reason. It's the easiest way.

...Wasn't that an abuse of reporting? Like the post did not break any rule of the forum...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Eldsluft posted:

...Wasn't that an abuse of reporting? Like the post did not break any rule of the forum...

If you look at the reporting function as a "flag down the mods for something" button, I guess technically its not an invalid use of the feature?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Eldsluft posted:

You would be increasing the number of reports in the forum from maybe one a week to two once.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Eldsluft posted:

Contact a mod, either by PMing them or by reporting a post in your thread and giving that as the reason. It's not difficult for them to change a thread title.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You have to be sending like 20 bullshit reports a day or call someone a slur in your report to be abusing the report system. Anything you need a mod for, the report button is the best way to go about it

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

Thanks for the help. I reported my post... hopefully it didn't go wrong.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

TheMcD posted:

You would be increasing the number of reports in the forum from maybe one a week to two once.

except since the ace combat 7 probation contest is active so there's approximately a billion reports happening lately :v:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've forgot to add a tag to a couple of my past LP's and I just PM'd one of the mods, I got a response with a couple of days and a pleasant reply afterwards.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
When I was an IK for one specific non-LP thread in LP for a while and I was somehow listed as an LP mod I responded within hours, no, minutes to requests regarding the forum I wasn't even modding. Step up your game mods! Your rear end belongs to this place.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

E: And yet it only took the mods 15 minutes to answer this report, curious. :smugbert:

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 3, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Mods are working their asses off. Love to see it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

IGgy IGsen posted:

When I was an IK for one specific non-LP thread in LP for a while and I was somehow listed as an LP mod I responded within hours, no, minutes to requests regarding the forum I wasn't even modding. Step up your game mods! Your rear end belongs to this place.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I had to see this beautiful art, now does everyone else.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
IGgy's rap sheet was clean. Then IGgy started posting in LP.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

The sad fate of many, it seems.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Finally finished up the test posts for the next LP I've been planning on doing and I want to make sure my formatting and whatnot are all good. It's easy to overlook things when you're the only eyes on something.

OP
First Update

Would rather address this kind of stuff now so I can make sure my workflow is solid, and it never hurts to be safe, really.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:justpost:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Sally posted:

The Curse of the Poster is a harsh one. But once you are branded with the mark of the sixer there's no turning back.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

If it's all good, then I'll do just that!

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I'm a forever-lurker and I finally decided to make an SSLP of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. I think a roleplay style LP might be a fun way to show off the game. It's great but for many people it can be way too intimidating to get into alone.

OP/Table of Contents
First post

How's it look?

worm girl fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 12, 2022

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Looks good so far! I'm hype for another CDDA LP since the last one I was following petered out.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Looks good to me from what I can see!

I'm one of those people who has tried their hand at CDDA many times, but inevitably bounced off each time. I eventually figured out Dwarf Fortress, but Cataclysm remains to elude me.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

QuarkJets posted:

I just want to comment on how insanely easy Nvidia Shadowplay is to use, I used to post let's plays in the dark ages of 2010 and the ease of recording high quality footage today is absolutely insane
Does anyone have a guide on how to best use Shadowplay for video LPs? The Tech Forum's most recent capture post is from 2019 and it doesn't mention it at all. Mostly, I'd like to know if there are any recommended setting specific to Shadowplay.

Also: what's the best way to add subtitles to a video in 2022? All the stuff in the Tech fort seems to be a bit outdated.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 13, 2022

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If you mean just slap some subtitles up on a screen for a couple seconds, Premiere updated last(?) Year with a system that is apparently pretty good. If you mean in general for a subbed video the answer is that they are all tedious at best.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I still use Aegisub and don't have any problems with it even though it hasn't updated in ages. I tried switching to a more recent program not long ago, but I couldn't get it to work at all. Granted, I'm using Avisynth, so once I make the subtitle file, I add the subs to the video with a single line, and that's easy for me. Your mileage may vary.

I do tend to use the Avisynth Subtitle filter for certain things, though. When I have a repeated subtitle that just needs a number changed periodically, or if I'm placing a subtitle over a transition, I find it much easier to write an Avisynth function to do that. It's usually pretty smooth from there. A lot of typing, but when you can copy and paste the line and just change a few details, it's easier than it sounds.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I knew making an LP would contain a lot of hard work but Jesus. Editing is making me go batty and I've only made the first 17 seconds for the post.

Mad respect, for real.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Editing video is a skill, and it's hardest when you're first starting out. Once you get some practice, things will go faster...but it'll never be fast.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Let's Play!

Once you've gotten the first one done and a workflow going it does become easier, somewhat, sometimes.

Edit: grammar.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 13, 2022

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I think the decision to make an SSLP will help with the roadmap and workflow. It'll certainly keep me on my toes.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Don't forget, you're here forever.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

It's so nice I can trip up myself into never doing another LP project despite wanting to do one sometimes. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

My Face When posted:

I think the decision to make an SSLP will help with the roadmap and workflow. It'll certainly keep me on my toes.

It helped a good deal when I learned that Irfanview let me save cutting/resizing templates.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PurpleXVI posted:

It helped a good deal when I learned that Irfanview let me save cutting/resizing templates.

Huh, it does? I did all my mass crops for the Disco Elysium LP using Photoshop batch actions.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Arist posted:

Huh, it does? I did all my mass crops for the Disco Elysium LP using Photoshop batch actions.

Oh yeah! It's great for it, really intuitive, too. Super easy to use.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Quick question: how do you link a single post so only that post is visible and it doesn't load the whole page with a bunch of updates?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Pierzak posted:

Quick question: how do you link a single post so only that post is visible and it doesn't load the whole page with a bunch of updates?

It's the little 1 right next to the hashtag you want in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

It's the little 1 right next to the hashtag you want in this case.
The what now? I see no such thing.

(if you're using a plugin, can you link a random post in this way so I can rip the URL and just replace the post number?)