Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know much so no comment on if the revs are spiking unexpectedly high from pushing the pedal down - for the shift indicator though, it seems fairly dynamic on my Mk7.5 GTI. Like if I'm going up a hill it knows to wait longer to indicate an upshift, and I'm pretty sure if I'm pushing the gas harder for fast acceleration it also knows I'm in go fast mode and waits a lot longer to prompt to shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rusty posted:

Clutch slipping always starts with low revs in my experience. If you want to know if your clutch is slipping, go 60 on the highway in 6th and give it some gas and see if the revs go up without acceleration and then catches. It eventually shows more and more in the lower revs as it gets worse.

Yea, that's pretty much what it's doing. I'm mainly noticing it in 4-6 right now, and it's when I try to accelerate.

teh_Broseph posted:

I don't know much so no comment on if the revs are spiking unexpectedly high from pushing the pedal down - for the shift indicator though, it seems fairly dynamic on my Mk7.5 GTI. Like if I'm going up a hill it knows to wait longer to indicate an upshift, and I'm pretty sure if I'm pushing the gas harder for fast acceleration it also knows I'm in go fast mode and waits a lot longer to prompt to shift.

I'm not talking about the shift indicator, just the display of the actual gear the transmission is in.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

devicenull posted:

Yea, that's pretty much what it's doing. I'm mainly noticing it in 4-6 right now, and it's when I try to accelerate.

I'm not talking about the shift indicator, just the display of the actual gear the transmission is in.

Interesting. It might be the clutch slipping causing the module to think you’re in neutral. I’d start shopping around for a replacement and definitely get a stage one or two if you’ve got a tune. They are known to be somewhat of a weak point once you start down that road.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My neighbor just got a nice looking used FoST and I wish they still made them. Kinda bums me out seeing fewer hot hatches and wagons in the US.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rolo posted:

My neighbor just got a nice looking used FoST and I wish they still made them. Kinda bums me out seeing fewer hot hatches and wagons in the US.

you can still buy one

or you can spend $6-10k less and get a FiST, which is the funner, better handling car although it has less straight-line power

I’ve been putting a lot of miles on my FiST since getting it in Aug/Sep, and especially driving it in MA during this winter I’ve refound the feeling I had years ago when dailying my E36 through the worst, most busted roads in all of Massachusetts—the feeling that you’re driving a current/future classic into the dirt and wantonly destroying the gently caress out of it.

Except this time it’s even worse because at least the E36 has 15”s which give you a decent amount of cushion on those garbage road surfaces. I hit potholes and road cracks and debris with my factory wheels and hair-thin sidewalls that like straight up reset my spinal alignment. I’m constantly pulling over and checking my undercarriage for damage and poo poo.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Rolo posted:

Same bud, same. I hope someone is able to convince BMW to federalize the M3 touring but the fact they arent even selling the standard touring here is pretty dire.

New FoST looks good too. Also Golf R estate!!!

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

TheBacon posted:

Same bud, same. I hope someone is able to convince BMW to federalize the M3 touring but the fact they arent even selling the standard touring here is pretty dire.

New FoST looks good too. Also Golf R estate!!!

if we're dreaming, Corolla GR Estate :getin:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

no lube so what posted:

if we're dreaming, Corolla GR Estate :getin:

too big

making it a Corolla instead of bringing over the Yaris is already a step in the wrong direction

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ok Comboomer posted:

you can still buy one

or you can spend $6-10k less and get a FiST, which is the funner, better handling car although it has less straight-line power

I’ve been putting a lot of miles on my FiST since getting it in Aug/Sep, and especially driving it in MA during this winter I’ve refound the feeling I had years ago when dailying my E36 through the worst, most busted roads in all of Massachusetts—the feeling that you’re driving a current/future classic into the dirt and wantonly destroying the gently caress out of it.

Except this time it’s even worse because at least the E36 has 15”s which give you a decent amount of cushion on those garbage road surfaces. I hit potholes and road cracks and debris with my factory wheels and hair-thin sidewalls that like straight up reset my spinal alignment. I’m constantly pulling over and checking my undercarriage for damage and poo poo.

the FiST is a little bit more raw which may not be what the OP wants and the FoST is also a fair bit bigger

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

too big

making it a Corolla instead of bringing over the Yaris is already a step in the wrong direction

The Yaris is the way, but Toyota’s take on a wrx wagon would be dope as gently caress. I think the wheelbase is only 3 inches longer than the hatch

Yaris 101”
Hb 103”
Estate 106”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

surprised that the wheelbase is actually different

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Ok Comboomer posted:

you can still buy one

lol they're both selling for over what they did new now. I paid $21k out the door with new car interest rates for my FoST in 2016

The gap on the cars was only like $2-3k new and spot checking it's about the same now

There's an argument to be made for the Fiesta, it's the lighter more nimble car and in my case was just way too small to be a livable daily driver. But they aren't selling $10k cheaper

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MunchE posted:

lol they're both selling for over what they did new now. I paid $21k out the door with new car interest rates for my FoST in 2016

The gap on the cars was only like $2-3k new and spot checking it's about the same now

There's an argument to be made for the Fiesta, it's the lighter more nimble car and in my case was just way too small to be a livable daily driver. But they aren't selling $10k cheaper

they were when I bought mine

I hope this bubble bursts soon, I might want another one in a couple of years but not at $10k+ what I paid for mine (admittedly with like 70k miles)

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Ok Comboomer posted:

they were when I bought mine

I hope this bubble bursts soon, I might want another one in a couple of years but not at $10k+ what I paid for mine (admittedly with like 70k miles)

Long term, I can see the Fiesta holding onto more value than the Focus. It has more of a reputation as a Sports Car and has gotten lots of favorable press everywhere. As a popularity note the Focus ST didn't make it from Forza Horizon 4 to 5 but the Fiesta is still in both. They're both "last of their kind" cars but Fiesta has a lot stronger reputation and will probably cost more than Focuses in the future

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
now I feel even worse about dailying it

time to go give it its daily salt bath, lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cars are meant to be driven

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's this op.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Amen

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

:yeah:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
god it's so cold and snowy and salty here and i've probably driven my car like 5km total in the past two weeks. not even like fun goof around in a parking lot snow, just black slush.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Roads are meant to be traveled.

I feel your pain though. poo poo is nasty in MSP right now.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 28, 2022

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I literally just don't have anywhere I need to go except occasionally going to grab some takeout or something and the last thing I want to do is leave my house if I don't have to when it's -15C out. As long as it's above freezing I'll just go out for a drive as something to do but for now it's just not worth the effort of bundling up, scraping the car off, hopefully not side swiping a snowbank on my way out of the neighbourhood, and then roasting my balls off once the car warms up. Hopefully we get some relief in Feb.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Just placed an order for a new daily. Really looking forward to this.

Interested to see how the active damper system they’re using now compares to the previous one. And the new double clutch steptronic vs the old dsg thing.

Tbh it’ll just be nice to have CarPlay.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Daily the e46 you coward!!!

I do like that red a lot (do you have a rule you only buy red cars or something?)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hahaha my current mini is green! And my civic black and mx5 silver. But I do really like red.

Can you imagine me taking the m3 to work and stuff lmao. GOIJG into meetings stinking of fuel and having sweat dripping through my shirt

E: holy poo poo just noticed the new binnacle! That’s insanely trick. What a great bit of design

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 1, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
CarPlay is a game changer, doubly so when connected to some decent speakers.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I mainly listen to podcasts but I still want to get a fat subwoofer setup in my car

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Bape Culture posted:

Hahaha my current mini is green! And my civic black and mx5 silver. But I do really like red.

Can you imagine me taking the m3 to work and stuff lmao. GOIJG into meetings stinking of fuel and having sweat dripping through my shirt

E: holy poo poo just noticed the new binnacle! That’s insanely trick. What a great bit of design

Sounds like you would earn major points for taking your work home with you!!!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I see a Mini and CarPlay mentioned, time to contribute my monstrosity!:

Apparently I don't have that many pictures of my car. And mostly bad. Mine is the tacky one on the right:

2008, had pretty much every known common engine problem, many at least once. Replacing it with a Kona N soon cause I make questionable decisions, it's weird and dumb in mostly right ways for me. It's...kinda like a hot hatch? :ohdear:

Bape Culture posted:

The what and the what now? Been keeping up with Minis up until the last few months and don't remember mention of that.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This thing:

It looks all digital but it’s actually just a portrait screen in between two physical gauges that are lit to mimic screens. I’m impressed.

I’m impressed you got your phone working with the older style stereo. As soon as I looked at retrofitting on my current one my eyes just glazed over. Automotive wiring is not the one.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think that looks really cool.

Black on red car club.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

This thing:

It looks all digital but it’s actually just a portrait screen in between two physical gauges that are lit to mimic screens. I’m impressed.

I’m impressed you got your phone working with the older style stereo. As soon as I looked at retrofitting on my current one my eyes just glazed over. Automotive wiring is not the one.
Ah yeah, "binnacle" confused me there. It can actually be retrofitted to previous years too iirc, not sure how far back though.

My setup mostly works, and no internal wiring to mess with. It's basically just an Android phone with one of those wireless CarPlay adapters. Music audio goes through an old Bluetooth-iPod adapter that hooks up through the original iPod integration. Phone audio (and Siri) is...broken, cause the car's Bluetooth pairing doesn't stick anymore for whatever reason. Not sure whether it's something broken car side like messed up memory or battery, and/or newer iPhone/iOS just not playing nice.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

This thing:

this is super ugly and cheap looking imo but more power to yall that like it

it's me, the guy who actually liked the steering wheel column mounted tach in the "old" nu mini coopers

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
welp, it finally happened. I ate some curb, in a restaurant drive-thru, no less

turns out the clear film the PO applied to the side skirt trim is actually worth a drat, and appears to have saved the actual body of the car from any damage I could find

both passenger-side rims got a fair bit of a shave, unfortunately, but it should blend into all the other nicks and curb rash that I bought them with

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also, apropos of my sad curbed rims, what kind of filler do pro wheel refinishing shops use to fill curb gouges?

Is it just Bondo? I know DIYers will use that or JBWeld.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also, apropos of my sad curbed rims, what kind of filler do pro wheel refinishing shops use to fill curb gouges?

Is it just Bondo? I know DIYers will use that or JBWeld.

If the internet has taught me anything, sunflower seeds, noodles and super glue are the go to repair materials these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

this is super ugly and cheap looking imo but more power to yall that like it

it's me, the guy who actually liked the steering wheel column mounted tach in the "old" nu mini coopers

I’m probably not getting it now anyway because of the chip shortage. So it looks like I’ll just get the normal stack like my current one lol

I just thought the mix of analogue and digital was neat :)