Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

So, the question of the different intros came up in the contestants FB group the other day and it’s actually not what we all think! Apparently in an interview Ken was asked the same thing and he replied that he thought the title should belong to Alex and only Alex, and so he requested that he be introduced differently.

Ken once again showing he’s the best person for the job :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I AM GRANDO posted:

They’re very different skill sets. A closer analogue might be talk-show host, which is another thing not every actor can do—and many talk-show hosts are not great at acting when they try it, or they escaped acting and are good at hosting.

The history of quiz shows is dotted with people who started emceeing in the hopes that something bigger comes along but ultimately only being known as game show hosts.

And by dotted I mean two: Monty Hall and Richard Dawson. At least Monty had his paychecks as a producer to wipe his tears away.

Dawson should have been given more movie roles after the running man and I will fuckin die on that hill.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Isn't he like 157 years old and been recording his bits from home?

Yeah, Gilbert has been working from home since 2019.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Even in 2018 when I filmed he would only come in for the afternoons, and they'd have Sarah from the Clue Crew do the introductions in the morning and just dub him over after.

Also, so for the College championships they got the same casting company that picked the professors to do the casting, apparently, and they apparently did not do a google search of all the contestants, because the kid from NYU was caught in an HQ cheating scandal a couple years ago.

This is a really well-run show right now.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Shout-out to everybody else ITT who gets Jeopardy on NBC and gets to take a break for a few weeks, because Olympics!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Mayim needing confirmation on Desert Storm was not a good look.

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 17, 2022

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

she called it single jeopardy again today, and the dude didn't have to say operation what the gently caress

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CPColin posted:

Shout-out to everybody else ITT who gets Jeopardy on NBC and gets to take a break for a few weeks, because Olympics!

At least my local NBC affiliate is going to sacrifice Judge Judy reruns in favor of Jeopardy.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

At least my local NBC affiliate is going to sacrifice Judge Judy reruns in favor of Jeopardy.

I had this brief image of Judge Judy dealing with Matt Amodio's hemming and hawing. Her schtick wouldn't do for anything else, though.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Timby posted:

Yeah, Gilbert has been working from home since 2019.
He did come in on Mike Richards first and only day as host, and was used to hilarious effect when they completely replaced Richard's opening speech with a one second shot of Johnny clapping.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Zesty posted:

So they want to favor players who play big rather than those who play safe to get their win? Reduce chances of getting a wet blanket in the final?

Not against it.

Too much, dial it back a bit if you want people to take the bait

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
???

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Poque posted:

Mayim needing confirmation on Desert Storm was so stupid.

Yet the day before "Who is Harrison?" was enough for a question about a US President.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mearn posted:

Yet the day before "Who is Harrison?" was enough for a question about a US President.

She even took advantage of that to smugly clarify which Harrison herself in her continuing trend of reading extra info off of the answer sheet in place of actually adding anything of value to the game.

I also noticed she absolutely sucks at end of round transitions: All she does is read out the scores every single time. I think both things are symptoms of her being an actress used to reading from a script that she just cannot improvise anything.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Allegedly Ken is back on 2/14. Hope that's true!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Poque posted:

Allegedly Ken is back on 2/14. Hope that's true!

:same::same::same::same::same::same::same::same::same::same::same::same::same::same::same::same::same::same::same::same:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I also hope there's a noticeable dip in the ratings while he was gone. I doubt it, but it would be really nice.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The studio will just say the dip is because of the Olympics. Jeopardy is bouncing around the schedule on my NBC affiliate now. 12:30 PM today, next week something like 4:30 AM.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mearn posted:

I was so angry about this.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

mearn posted:

And earlier in theh week, a contestant had to clarify Auburn University when in the same category, just saying Purdue was perfectly fine.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

And earlier in theh week, a contestant had to clarify Auburn University when in the same category, just saying Purdue was perfectly fine.

Yeah, and the category was literally about universities so it was implied anyways.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm pretty sure they accepted "The hundred years of solitude" yesterday too

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Seriously , I’m leaving it open to come back to, but we have been basically not watching jeopardy and boycotting it since they keep loving up, and I think it’s a good idea.

If they want to run this poo poo into the ground , I don’t need to be around to see it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ken, is good.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
A podcast from The Hollywood Reporter results in this host of Jeopardy! complain about critics

Who is listed in the URL?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/tvs-top-5-inside-mayim-bialiks-jeopardy-journey-jason-katims-as-we-see-it-1235087050/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Duckman2008 posted:

Seriously , I’m leaving it open to come back to, but we have been basically not watching jeopardy and boycotting it since they keep loving up, and I think it’s a good idea.

If they want to run this poo poo into the ground , I don’t need to be around to see it.

I'm only boycotting MB episodes because:

I AM GRANDO posted:

Ken, is good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm only boycotting MB episodes because:

This is fair , and we do need to get to watching Ken episodes.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The Ken ones are actually good, even though the clue writing has taken a nosedive in quality.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If we pool our money together maybe we can pay Ken to record all the clues from Mayims episodes and dub them over her.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

banned from Starbucks posted:

If we pool our money together maybe we can pay Ken to record all the clues from Mayims episodes and dub them over her.

Just go back to every episode he's been in (as host and contestant) and piece together the questions from his previous answers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

The Ken ones are actually good, even though the clue writing has taken a nosedive in quality.

I've said this before, but the clue writing took a major dive even before Trebek passed, it's just more noticeable now that someone else is reading them. I think the current writing staff has been in place since 2019, which is when Mike Richards initially took over as producer; they need to (and I think they're going to) do a major house-cleaning when they hit the summer hiatus and have time to hire a new, permanent producer, give the writing staff a check-up from the neck-up, etc.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just go back to every episode he's been in (as host and contestant) and piece together the questions from his previous answers.

Watson sighed as it drew its virtual katana...

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMx-LDwdu1U

Canadian Sex Secrets

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Stay at home uncle is the best job title ever.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
SINGLE JEOPARDY

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This is not a good game but El Al as the answer to an airline founded by an Arabic dude made me laugh.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I hope Mayim got the chickenpox vaccine or we might be in for Shingle Jeopardy

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
The commercials for the National College Championship have started, and Miyam is laughing through her one sentence introduction. Can't wait for ABC's social media to get "WHERE'S KEN?" posts even though that was never the plan.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

SINGLE JEOPARDY

I yelled at my tv when she did this again tonight. Someone on the crew has to have said something....

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Today's bagpipes clue was one that popped up when I took the online test recently. Nice to know that they aren't softballing the questions.

HookShot posted:

SINGLE JEOPARDY

This is aggravating me so, so, so goddamn much. Even if Bialik weren't a goddamn quack hawking snake oil, her demeanor is similar to Katie Couric; Couric drove me nuts because she acted like a 4-K teacher. "Okay, you've all done great, now, let's play more Jeopardy!"

I was married to a pre-K teacher for 13 years.

Timby fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Timby posted:

Today's bagpipes clue was one that popped up when I took the online test recently. Nice to know that they aren't softballing the questions.

This is aggravating me so, so, so goddamn much. Even if Bialik weren't a goddamn quack hawking snake oil, her demeanor is similar to Katie Couric; Couric drove me nuts because she acted like a 4-K teacher. "Okay, you've all done great, now, let's play more Jeopardy!"

I was married to a pre-K teacher for 13 years.

I just said this same thing the other day during a game. She sounds like a kindergarten teacher encouraging children with that exact voice you use when you're trying really hard to fake enthusiasm. It hits its peak any time anyone says "true daily double", she loses her loving mind repeating that. She also has nothing of value to add to the game, all she does is read from her answer sheet and then read out the scores at the end of each round.

Coupled with how she likes to make "jokes" after clues that often land as "what loving nerd would know that", it's been tripping a lot of my pet peeves about American anti-intellectualist culture that has no place in this game of all things.

Contrast that with Ken's obvious love of the game and of knowledge; if there's a missed clue or extra tidbits, he always comes across as that guy who just can't resist sharing this cool thing he knows at a party.