Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

carry on then posted:

as a product of nclb i hate making phone calls because i don't have the rubric in front of me so if i ask a dumb question or don't have every conceivable piece of information ready i assume they will be very angry at me and will punish me in some way

how did you get inside my inner monologue; i thought this door was locked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i order online from the restaurant website and then pick it up when the website says or when they call me to tell me its ready

ordering online makes it way harder to get the order wrong

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
For some reason I'm fine on the phone calls, but my adhd makes the idea of making the call absolutely terrifying.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Hunter2 Thompson posted:

yeah nothing wrong with that, it's definitely cool and i do it too. i just think people who get dramatic about making phone calls are a little weird

I loathe synchronous real-time voice and video, and can just barely tolerate the occasional call with family or friends on top of all the meetings I have to attend for work

living in a semi-urban area and being able to place lots of orders and pick up without dealing with people has been a real sanity-saver

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

the hn is coming from inside the thread

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

edit: vvvvv good call, fwiw i also struggle with phone calls a lot, probably a bad time to post at like 5am or whatever ungodly hour it was

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 30, 2022

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hi don’t do that please, the yosposters itt are clearly talking about this from the pov of “i struggle with this” and not the hackernewsy thing of “phone calls are Objectively Bad”

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
yeah my preference for online ordering is strictly due to the fact that it’s harder to gently caress up the order

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

yeah i have always had to psych myself up and mentally rehearse what i am going to say, anytime i need to call some place i have never called before (or even a familiar place). its probably something that you can train yourself to be better at but i probably have some mental block thing going on

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
the best pizza in town is phone call only, and last time i called them there was a two hour wait for pickup.

that was my last call for food story.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

NihilCredo posted:

the hn is coming from inside the thread

Brb making an app to teach me how to shower.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

ftr though, online ordering > phone in almost all situations, since 80% of restaurants around here are gonna be noisy, and a phone call is gonna be 5 minutes of two people yelling at each other.

Plus I've heard the staff almost always prefer it, since the tablet can just queue it up, instead of having to drop whatever they're doing at that moment to go answer the phone. What they hate is the 15% tax from the app gangsters.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Jack Sprat could take no bath, his wife could take no rain

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

carry on then posted:

as a product of nclb i hate making phone calls because i don't have the rubric in front of me so if i ask a dumb question or don't have every conceivable piece of information ready i assume they will be very angry at me and will punish me in some way

this is also why the call is valuable tho, because the idiot on the other end who you want to do a thing is feeling the same way. if you had sent an email, they probably would have answered the first question in it, incorrectly of course, and then ignored the rest of your message and pressed reply. at least on the phone you can call them out for not doing the thing immediately, while they are still on the line with you. like there's more of a social need to justify doing your job badly

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

DELETE CASCADE posted:

this is also why the call is valuable tho, because the idiot on the other end who you want to do a thing is feeling the same way. if you had sent an email, they probably would have answered the first question in it, incorrectly of course, and then ignored the rest of your message and pressed reply. at least on the phone you can call them out for not doing the thing immediately, while they are still on the line with you. like there's more of a social need to justify doing your job badly

i was referring to personal life things like calling to schedule an oil change for my car. with an online system i can see exactly what information they want me to give them, see a list of open times, and basically be able to take as long as i need to to gather everything i need to fill out the form. much better than having an overworked service worker audibly sighing and rolling their eyes because i'm wasting their time since i've never done this before and don't know what to expect

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
oh yeah for sure i agree with you there, hate phone calls for that sort of thing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Chris Knight posted:

online ordering and then just walking over to pick up loving rules.

it's nice to be able to walk in and then walk right back out with food

i don't care if i can pay ahead or gotta use cash or whatever, i just don't want to have to wait in a line or for stuff to finish cooking

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

MrQueasy posted:

For some reason I'm fine on the phone calls, but my adhd makes the idea of making the call absolutely terrifying.

Internet Janitor posted:

how did you get inside my inner monologue; i thought this door was locked

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

anonporridge 7 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

Most people want the lowest common denominator information. They want to know what most other people think and want.
HN and their desire for niche information is just not representative of the average human.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

quote:

alufers 24 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

I personally just flash everything possible with open-source software. All my light switches and Wi-Fi lightbulbs run Tasmota, which I password protect and semi- regularly update. The one odball is my Gree AC unit, which is on a separate WiFi network and subnet (I just run hostapd on my RPi since it's close-by). But it's more to protect it from the outside, not the other way, because it's controlled with JSON sent over UDP, and if you send a malformed packet the microcontroller inside crashes. When this happens and the compressor is engaged it will freeze up, possibly destroying itself and start flooding the floor, because the condensation pump won't turn on.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
paging @internetofshit

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"my air conditioner must be kept six degrees away from the internet"

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Ask HN: If Meta dies will React follow?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
gently caress, if only

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
legalcorrection 27 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

Flight attendants and gate agents well on their way to being the most powerful petty dictators in America. Put that seat back forward, turn your cellphone off, and don't you dare hit that service button. Don't use the bathroom during takeoff and landing, poo poo your seat instead. Stuff your suit into your carry-on, I don't care if it gets wrinkled and if you were going to hang it as soon as you get on the plane. Give me any lip service, and you'll never fly again. Who are they gonna believe? I'm a 20-year-tenure unionized flight attendant whose lobbyists get a red carpet at the FAA. You're a nobody with a coach class plane ticket.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
when the gently caress could you ever have done like half of those things except on a chartered flight

hanging a suit? in coach?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've done that it's no big deal. they just put it up front when you get on and you get it when you get off. i've also folded it over and put it overhead, but that was before they crammed so many people in when there was room. the started cramming and an attendant was like "hey i'll hang that up for you" and now i ask them to and they always have

granted i haven't flown in a couple years. the last time i hung a suit on a flight was maybe 2018?

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
yeah they’ll keep your coat in a coat locker up front but I only learned that not flying coach

I’m just grateful people will cope with me being drunk during the day

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I’ve also never hit the service button tho

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I miss the days when they let you listen to the cockpit radios on one of the armrest channels

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

deftnerd 2 hours ago | prev | next [–]

This seems disingenuous to me, but my personal experience with Coinbase colors my opinion.
I had my Coinbase accounts canceled more than 5 years ago. Despite my merchant account with them processing over 1MM USD a year in BTC, they refused to tell me why they terminated my merchant and personal account.
At the time, I was buying physical giftcards in bulk from official wholesale distributors for 90c on the dollar, scanning and OCR'ing the redemption codes, and was selling those for the BTC equivalent of $1.05 on the dollar.
At the time, some of those merchants had their own plans for digital giftcard distribution and said they didn't want to be associated with cryptocurrencies. I ignored their pressure because I was staying true to the law in regards to various resale doctrines.
I suspect some of the larger merchants pressured their financial partners to represent them and put pressure on Coinbase.
I didn't mind writing my own bespoke payment processing system to replace them, but the loss of an easy USD <-> BTC gateway did make life quite a bit harder. Since my move to NY, it's been even more difficult because there are few companies that are allowed to operate here.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm going to guess that the "official wholesale distributer" selling activated giftcards at a discount on face value to John Q Public was less than official and more like some low-level goober stealing from their employer.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Jabor posted:

some low-level goober stealing from their employer.

poo poo, now i feel conflicted. Ok I gotta make a table

• HN Poster: Bad
  • Stealing From Employer: Good
  • Cryptocurrency: Bad

... ok so i should hate this person. ok!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

salisbury shake posted:

Don't use the bathroom during takeoff and landing, poo poo your seat instead.

I thought this was normal hn poster behavior

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

deftnerd 2 hours ago | prev | next [–]

This seems disingenuous to me, but my personal experience with Coinbase colors my opinion.
I had my Coinbase accounts canceled more than 5 years ago. Despite my merchant account with them processing over 1MM USD a year in BTC, they refused to tell me why they terminated my merchant and personal account.
At the time, I was buying physical giftcards in bulk from official wholesale distributors for 90c on the dollar, scanning and OCR'ing the redemption codes, and was selling those for the BTC equivalent of $1.05 on the dollar.
At the time, some of those merchants had their own plans for digital giftcard distribution and said they didn't want to be associated with cryptocurrencies. I ignored their pressure because I was staying true to the law in regards to various resale doctrines.
I suspect some of the larger merchants pressured their financial partners to represent them and put pressure on Coinbase.
I didn't mind writing my own bespoke payment processing system to replace them, but the loss of an easy USD <-> BTC gateway did make life quite a bit harder. Since my move to NY, it's been even more difficult because there are few companies that are allowed to operate here.

ah, so they were caught for money laundering, got it

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Plorkyeran posted:

Ask HN: If Meta dies will React follow?

Who needs to die for Electron to die?

The simple menu bar app for my VPN provider where you basically just turn it on and off is like 800MB because it includes the Electron runtimes.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

lobsterminator posted:

The simple menu bar app for my VPN provider where you basically just turn it on and off is like 800MB because it includes the Electron runtimes.

and lets now check our notes for state of the art in cross-platform binaries, cosmopolitan hello world clocks in at 16kb that is one six kilo bytes

magic exists and it is real, it's just the contemporary webdev toolchain that is at wax cylinder tech level

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
lol no

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

lobsterminator posted:

all it takes is for users to care, even the slightest bit, about the technology that underscores their lives and businesses, beyond stuff like 'what colour is the icons', or a majority of technical leads to care more about doing a thing right than doing a thing quick

so it will never happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lobsterminator posted:

the entire concept of "reducing time to market by minimizing development effort", so it will only go away when something does that better than electron and electron becomes like flash or java applets, abandoned so long a bunch of ultra severe vulnerabilities are found and everyone just cuts support and runs

and the concept of native widgets is never coming back, ui design now answers to marketing and it's now a violation of the brand guidelines to ship an app with buttons that don't look Authentically Us