Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

I know it's easy to forget here but other countries actually give a poo poo about people with disabilities.

Some might. The EU is over 30 years behind the ADA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Here's a new charging wrinkle. The authors claim they can get batteries to last 30% longer (number of charge cycles) by tweaking the charge cycle a little.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's not a good front end but I don't think it's worse than the previous gen

The old one reminded of a dog, but like if you grabbed it by the scruff of its neck and pull all the fur back

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Why yes I would like to get into the sport space.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i do not hate that kia front end

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
It looks like any other CUV, they all look like that. Aggressive jellybeans.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't understand why one of the shithouse companies doesn't try to stand out.

Suzuki makes the Hayabusa and Cappuccino and the Jimny and all they would put onto the American market is unreliable penalty boxes styled by accountants, and shockingly that failed.

Mitsubishi used to make Lancer Evos and Eclipse GSXes. Now they're content with the 14th in class compact SUV and the 16th in class mid-size SUV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

probably because none of that poo poo makes any money for a variety of reasons

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You say that, but something actually fresh on the market like the Bronco or Maverick is sold out into next year.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Jimny and Cappuccino would never ever pass federal regulations. You can go out and buy a Hayabusa right now though.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Sab669 posted:

I kinda get the complaints about taking up space on the sidewalk, but also you ever see city streets in the winter? They're narrow as gently caress from all the snow. I get that's "only" ~6 months out of the year rather than all year round but :shrug: if you can live with it half a year why not the whole year.

That underground cable seems like an expensive pain when something gets damaged / needs to be replaced.

One of those is a natural phenomenon and the other is humans being dicks.

You mean the underground one in the wavy channel? It's clearly designed for a cable running on top of the ground until it hits the footpath where you just shove it in the channel. The curves will help hold it in. Cable breaks or you move, just pull it out. It's not a perm install.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Charles posted:

Some might. The EU is over 30 years behind the ADA.

https://www.comune.milano.it/docume...t=1569322027617

page 8

“Le infrastrutture di ricarica devono essere posizionate in modo da garantire una distanza con il ciglio del marciapiede non inferiore a 50 cm ed in modo tale da non limitare la sicurezza dei pedoni.”

Every charge stand must leave enough room for pedestrians and not put them in danger with tripping over cables or bashing in the metal frame, do so or the fuzz will get there with a bulldozer and rip them out.

Same with most other town rulebook for public installation i found. Other euro goons will attest to similar rules. The only obstruction you can fit in a sidewalk are lamp posts, trash bins and bus stops, anything else will get ripped out quick.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

KillHour posted:

The Jimny and Cappuccino would never ever pass federal regulations. You can go out and buy a Hayabusa right now though.

I've seen some of the new Jimnys around NZ and IMO they look pretty funky and cool, all of the pretend-off-road styling and chunky bodywork etc. but at a much more sensible size for driving around in a city. I wish there were more interesting cars that were also extremely tiny, seems like the only choices these days are horrible boring small vehicles or way too large way too fast interesting ones. I'd fukkn kill for a Citroen Ami :(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Blackhawk posted:

I've seen some of the new Jimnys around NZ and IMO they look pretty funky and cool, all of the pretend-off-road styling and chunky bodywork etc. but at a much more sensible size for driving around in a city. I wish there were more interesting cars that were also extremely tiny, seems like the only choices these days are horrible boring small vehicles or way too large way too fast interesting ones. I'd fukkn kill for a Citroen Ami :(

The ironic part is those Jimnys are absolute offroad monsters, the styling might look fake but they are actually as capable as the bodywork suggests.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yet they used to make money when they made those cars :thunk: It's almost as if they've shifted so far toward 'profit above all else' that its a wonder why they style anything at all! Shift it back to where they still made a gently caress-ton of money but also had cool poo poo that set them apart.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KakerMix posted:

Yet they used to make money when they made those cars :thunk: It's almost as if they've shifted so far toward 'profit above all else' that its a wonder why they style anything at all! Shift it back to where they still made a gently caress-ton of money but also had cool poo poo that set them apart.

This was never true, the only profitable sports car is the Ford Mustang. Everything else was a halo product designed to get people to buy the boring mass market stuff.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Neo_Crimson posted:

This was never true, the only profitable sports car is the Ford Mustang. Everything else was a halo product designed to get people to buy the boring mass market stuff.

I mean as manufacturers, not the cars themselves. Porsche does it correctly, make a few SUVs for all the money, then focus on what makes them 'Porsche'. They get their money and the name stays safe.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Jimny looks cool but they are completely poo poo cars.

my friend has one (1.6L I4, we only get the Sierra non-kei model in AU) and it gets 15L/100km city in 2WD/high range.

my evo X which weighs nearly twice as much, full time AWD and makes twice as much power and it uses 11.9/100 City, 9/100 highway (28/100 on a circuit bit I digress)

but hey she gets 400 likes on Instagram if she takes a pic of her friend driving it through a shallow stream so shes happy.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

BuckyDoneGun posted:

One of those is a natural phenomenon and the other is humans being dicks.

You mean the underground one in the wavy channel? It's clearly designed for a cable running on top of the ground until it hits the footpath where you just shove it in the channel. The curves will help hold it in. Cable breaks or you move, just pull it out. It's not a perm install.

The underground wavy channel one looks like a disaster after a few thaw and re-freeze cycles in a place with cold winters.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

In my 20 years of owning cars and bikes in various cities I've never had reliable access to an outlet (let alone an L2 plug) until I got a house a few months ago. Putting chargers all over random streets seems like a pretty dumb strategy, but as range, charging times and charger networks continue to improve going to the ev charger station for 30 min once a week to juice up seems palatable.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think maybe what Powershift was trying to get at is why didn't Suzuki take any of the coolness from the Hayabusa (any of its motorcycles really), the Jimny, and the Cappuccino and mix it into the extremely generic product it tried and failed to sell in the US.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Laserface posted:

my friend has one (1.6L I4, we only get the Sierra non-kei model in AU) and it gets 15L/100km city in 2WD/high range.

my evo X which weighs nearly twice as much, full time AWD and makes twice as much power and it uses 11.9/100 City, 9/100 highway (28/100 on a circuit bit I digress)

but hey she gets 400 likes on Instagram if she takes a pic of her friend driving it through a shallow stream so shes happy.

The modern one isn't that bad on fuel - it's about the same as a 4WD non-hybrid Rav4. Not good for the size of vehicle, but not catastrophically bad either.

They are garbage on the road though, bouncy, noisy, slow.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PBCrunch posted:

The underground wavy channel one looks like a disaster after a few thaw and re-freeze cycles in a place with cold winters.

There won’t be much room for water in there once it’s full of dirt and leaves

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Laserface posted:

It might be broken then because they get like 8l on average. Which is still not great but then it's a box on wheels so it's always going to suck. https://www.spritmonitor.de/de/uebersicht/48-Suzuki/423-Jimny.html?vehicletype=1&constyear_s=2010&powerunit=2

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Infinotize posted:

In my 20 years of owning cars and bikes in various cities I've never had reliable access to an outlet (let alone an L2 plug) until I got a house a few months ago. Putting chargers all over random streets seems like a pretty dumb strategy, but as range, charging times and charger networks continue to improve going to the ev charger station for 30 min once a week to juice up seems palatable.

Is there any indication that range or charging times are going to improve that much in the foreseeable future though? I mean right now range is just a matter of cramming in more cells but that costs a ton, and rapid charging is possible but beyond a certain point reduces the life of the battery. I think if you took a battery using current cell technology and only ever charged it at the maximum possible rate for its entire life it would probably last several years less than one charged overnight every time.

It's my understanding that the specific energy of rechargeable lithium ion-type cells is reaching a plateau, so I think to see any significant gains beyond where we are now would require an entirely new chemistry of battery or other type of energy storage medium. I'm all for EV's but I don't think it's realistic to take the rapid progress made over the last 10 years and then extrapolate that out into the future, most of the gains that have been made are due to economies of scale reducing costs to a level that enabled mass adoption and that drove research into cell improvements that would otherwise not have been profitable to do.

Blackhawk fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 9, 2022

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dissss posted:

The modern one isn't that bad on fuel - it's about the same as a 4WD non-hybrid Rav4. Not good for the size of vehicle, but not catastrophically bad either.

They are garbage on the road though, bouncy, noisy, slow.

Its the current model.

mobby_6kl posted:

It might be broken then because they get like 8l on average. Which is still not great but then it's a box on wheels so it's always going to suck. https://www.spritmonitor.de/de/uebersicht/48-Suzuki/423-Jimny.html?vehicletype=1&constyear_s=2010&powerunit=2

It aint broken according to Suzuki.

my other friend bought a Swift Turbo and it was burning oil pretty quickly. Suzuki denied anything was even happening, let alone 'within spec'. he eventually took it to the consumer protection board here with a third party mechanic proving the issue and was awarded a full refund.

Suzuki make poo poo cars.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

It used to be my dream to get a Kei car, but that's diminished as US cars and trucks have gone all steroidal. Now it would just be begging for death.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

Is there any indication that range or charging times are going to improve that much in the foreseeable future though? I mean right now range is just a matter of cramming in more cells but that costs a ton, and rapid charging is possible but beyond a certain point reduces the life of the battery. I think if you took a battery using current cell technology and only ever charged it at the maximum possible rate for its entire life it would probably last several years less than one charged overnight every time.

It's my understanding that the specific energy of rechargeable lithium ion-type cells is reaching a plateau, so I think to see any significant gains beyond where we are now would require an entirely new chemistry of battery or other type of energy storage medium. I'm all for EV's but I don't think it's realistic to take the rapid progress made over the last 10 years and then extrapolate that out into the future, most of the gains that have been made are due to economies of scale reducing costs to a level that enabled mass adoption and that drove research into cell improvements that would otherwise not have been profitable to do.

I think maybe just that we'll see more EVs that can do 250-300 miles, charge a solid % very very fast, will cost comparatively less, and non-tesla charging networks will improve. Right now it's what, $45k at least to hit all of those requirements, and super inconvenient without a house to charge at? The big makers are only just hitting stride getting these types of cars to market. There will be a day when supply constraints are long gone and toyota/ford/gm/hyundai have been pumping out cars for years and where $20k (today equivalent) used evs with 250 mile batteries are going to be easily available. Maybe battery tech isn't going to go at the same rate as it has but we are still extremely early in overall EV car market dynamics.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Powershift posted:

I don't understand why one of the shithouse companies doesn't try to stand out.

Suzuki makes the Hayabusa and Cappuccino and the Jimny and all they would put onto the American market is unreliable penalty boxes styled by accountants, and shockingly that failed.

Mitsubishi used to make Lancer Evos and Eclipse GSXes. Now they're content with the 14th in class compact SUV and the 16th in class mid-size SUV.

The problem is you aren't thinking about this like an executive.

You're an idiot, a total and complete know nothing. Knowing that you have no idea how to make a successful product is in fact the only thing you actually do know. Your bonus and compensation are based on short term cost cutting. You know that you're too stupid to still be there without getting fired when/if the product launches. So what do you do? You make a shitload of choices that are terrible for everyone but yourself. You cut costs: labor, materials, you name it, it's gone.

You know that the product is going to take, say, 5 years to complete. So around the 3-4 year mark, you bounce to another company. The company you're at looks like it's doing amazing because of your talent in cutting costs and being lean! The product maybe or maybe not materializes in 5 years. You probably hosed it up so much that it takes another 2 years after the planned launch date, but you're already gone before what you did is fully realized, and doing it to another company that you'll leave just as soon as you know you won't be able to squeeze any more money out of it for yourself or it starts showing.

You do this starting from the first job your parents hand you until you retire or die. You are rich, so you must be successful. And if you're successful, you must be a genius. You are rewarded handsomely with money and prestige for cratering countless companies over your time because you left before you were blamed. You spend 0.5-1% of your total wealth founding charities and are worshiped like a god.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PBCrunch posted:

I think maybe what Powershift was trying to get at is why didn't Suzuki take any of the coolness from the Hayabusa (any of its motorcycles really), the Jimny, and the Cappuccino and mix it into the extremely generic product it tried and failed to sell in the US.

Because GM made them sell rebadged Daewoos.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

The problem is you aren't thinking about this like an executive.

You're an idiot, a total and complete know nothing. Knowing that you have no idea how to make a successful product is in fact the only thing you actually do know. Your bonus and compensation are based on short term cost cutting. You know that you're too stupid to still be there without getting fired when/if the product launches. So what do you do? You make a shitload of choices that are terrible for everyone but yourself. You cut costs: labor, materials, you name it, it's gone.

You know that the product is going to take, say, 5 years to complete. So around the 3-4 year mark, you bounce to another company. The company you're at looks like it's doing amazing because of your talent in cutting costs and being lean! The product maybe or maybe not materializes in 5 years. You probably hosed it up so much that it takes another 2 years after the planned launch date, but you're already gone before what you did is fully realized, and doing it to another company that you'll leave just as soon as you know you won't be able to squeeze any more money out of it for yourself or it starts showing.

You do this starting from the first job your parents hand you until you retire or die. You are rich, so you must be successful. And if you're successful, you must be a genius. You are rewarded handsomely with money and prestige for cratering countless companies over your time because you left before you were blamed. You spend 0.5-1% of your total wealth founding charities and are worshiped like a god.

Thanks I hate it

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Don't worry, nobody is like that strawman. They all believe themselves geniuses, no matter how many companies they destroy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PBCrunch posted:

now this i can agree with

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Failson posted:

It used to be my dream to get a Kei car, but that's diminished as US cars and trucks have gone all steroidal. Now it would just be begging for death.

it was always begging for death

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KakerMix posted:

The ironic part is those Jimnys are absolute offroad monsters, the styling might look fake but they are actually as capable as the bodywork suggests.

when i think of companies that were profitable in the US market they absolutely do not include suzuki and mitsubishi

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Actually Suzuki was doing well until 2009 when it dropped off a cliff. It didn't help that some of their new product offerings were rebadged GMs or Daewoos. I liked the SX4 and most of all the Kizashi.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

when i think of companies that were profitable in the US market they absolutely do not include suzuki and mitsubishi

That's because you were thinking of Isuzu and Daihatsu instead!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
We do get the jimny here in Italy and until the latest redesign it was pretty much a tractor ride quality(i'm talking busted shocks on a defender level), now it's much better but it has become so bloated and heavy the engine is critically undersized(making it fall emissions in multiple euro markets for a while). I have a current model unit in my parking lot and honestly it has lost the biggest property the old jimny had(being a decent offroader in a kei car size), so it cannot easily drive in old towns as it used to.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So you're saying it's basically an FCA product now

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KillHour posted:

So you're saying it's basically an FCA product now

Jimny is manual so no getting squashed by failing shifters or it hasn't a modern deck so no remotely hacking the infotainment, no FCA experience then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I drove a Jimny recently and it was fine. It's not meant to be a motorway mile muncher (engine is buzzing its tits off along with the tyres above 70) and it has gently caress all in the way of mod cons apart from AC. It's a solid little tin can that's fun off road and is compromised for any kind of 'regular' driving use because of that. It's another lifestyle car except smaller and cuter.