Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Apparently it just adapts the first couple of a light novel series, so it's like if Gundam ended when White Base re-entered the atmosphere and you had to read the manga for the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Reiska posted:

As a matter of fact, yes! The damage formulas haven't really changed much since SRW Alpha or so as far as I know, and definitely not since as far back as SRW J - I wrote myself a damage calculator for J in Excel and it still works for checking damage numbers in 30 without changes.

For attack damage calculations:
  • Calculate base attack power: Take the attacking pilot's CQB or RNG stat (as appropriate for the weapon used), add Morale to it, then divide the result by 200. Next, multiply the result by the weapon's power, then multiply by the appropriate modifier for the weapon's terrain ranks and the target's terrain (1.1 for S, 0.8 for B, 0.6 for C; no change for A).
  • Calculate base defense: Take the defending pilot's DEF stat, add Morale to it, then divide the result by 200. Next, multiply the result by the defending unit's Armor stat, then apply the defending unit's terrain modifier if applicable (the one pictured on the map; in SRW 30, if one applies, it is always to multiply by 0.9).
  • Subtract base defense from base attack power and you get base final damage. Multiply this by the appropriate size difference modifier if there is one. (-10% damage for every size larger the defending unit is than the attacker; each level of Ignore Size reduces the effective difference by 1. There is no bonus for being larger in 30.)
For hit chance calculations:
  • Calculate base hit rate: Take the attacking pilot's HIT stat, divide it by 2 (round down), then add the attacking unit's Sight stat. Multiply the result by the appropriate modifier for the attacking unit's terrain ranks and terrain (1.1 for S, 0.9 for B, 0.8 for C, and 0.4 for D, here). Add the listed accuracy bonus of the weapon being used and any bonuses to accuracy that may be applicable from the attacking pilot's skills or things like command auras or Kei's ace bonus.
  • Calculate base evade rate: Take the defending pilot's EVD stat, divide it by 2 (round down), then add the defending unit's Mobility stat. Multiply the result by the appropriate modifier for the defending unit's terrain ranks and terrain (same multipliers as for base hit rate). Add any bonuses to evasion that may be applicable from the defending pilot's skills or things like command auras.
  • Subtract base evade from base hit rate to get the base hit chance. There's a few more modifiers to apply at this point, but I admittedly don't remember all the specifics for this game - some SRWs apply a multiplier here for size difference but I don't know if 30 does. There's also a small additive/subtractive modifier for distance from the target - IIRC, "base" hit chance assumes you're 5 squares away, and every square of deviance from that is +/- 3 to the final hiit chance. There's also the consecutive targeting correction modifier, which mostly you'll only see for enemies attacking you; every time a given unit is attacked within a single phase and is *not* hit, a cumulative +5 bonus is applied to the final accuracy of subsequent attempts until an attack hits or the phase changes.
  • Finally, apply Focus if it's cast.

Awesome, thanks! That's more complex than I thought, no wonder I couldn't math it out lol. Am I right then there isn't a damage spread after all? The game had told me that something with 100% to hit was going to shoot the enemy down, but it failed to at least once; or does that only consider "base" values?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

RBA Starblade posted:

Awesome, thanks! That's more complex than I thought, no wonder I couldn't math it out lol. Am I right then there isn't a damage spread after all? The game had told me that something with 100% to hit was going to shoot the enemy down, but it failed to at least once; or does that only consider "base" values?

It's possible there's something it fails to take into account with barriers or special abilities. I've seen that happen once.

Also annoying when it says you won't shoot something down that you just want to weaken but oops a crit. I guess there's not too much you can do about that one other than have an "If Crit" popup where "Shoot Down" would be, which would look weird.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RBA Starblade posted:

Enemies can have some skills or abilities that will make the combat forecast inaccurate, but its rare as hell in 30. If they had a shield and the shield block ability they might have activated it and decreased the damage. There's also sometimes enemies with the ability to activate a dodge ability etc.

Most of that design is relics of older SRW before the combat preview was implemented (before T which was the previous game you just sort of had to get the sense if the attack would kill the enemy or not, there was no shoot-down notice). There aren't a lot of enemies it'll apply to in 30 but a whole bunch of annoying bosses and poo poo will if you go back and play older games!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, the only variability in damage are crits and shield defense, barring those, the Shoot Down indicator is always correct. It takes into account barriers and various attack and defense boosts. If you have Smash Hit active it will also take that into account, but not if you have a 100% natural crit rate without Smash Hit for some reason.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The thing that always caught me out was if a unit had Support Defense and I failed to notice. I think the game takes Support Defense into account in the full combat forecast screen but not when you're initially picking a target, so you can get a misleading "Shoot Down" indicator there.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

wdarkk posted:

I assume things that say they modify final accuracy apply in the same step as Focus?

This is correct.

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think there's a damage spread in 30, no. As other posters mentioned, the Shoot Down! indicator fails to account for shield defenses or critical hits.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Thuryl posted:

The thing that always caught me out was if a unit had Support Defense and I failed to notice. I think the game takes Support Defense into account in the full combat forecast screen but not when you're initially picking a target, so you can get a misleading "Shoot Down" indicator there.

I believe this is correct yeah, the little preview window in the bottom left will not account for it, but the big screen will.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Huh, they sure like rushing you around at the end of chapter 4/beginning of chapter 5. Have to decide which of the new-chapter upgrades/recruits to prioritize...

EDIT: Did I miss out on "The Secret Ingredient Is..." by not doing it before "Gateway of Demise -JUPITER-" became available, or by trying to do it when gateway of demise WAS available? It's not on the mission list afterwards...

EDIT EDIT: Disregard that I rolled a nat 1 on my perception check

The Golux fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 10, 2022

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, that particular DLC map has the issue of taking place on the same map location as the "Gateway of Demise" key mission. Thus, the key mission overrides the DLC mission, barring you from playing "The Secret Ingredient Is..." while "Gateway of Demise" is active. Granted, there is no way to let you know this because you can do Patrols before entering key or optional missions if they are on the same spot as a mission, thus making you think that a silly DLC side story would be playable even if it's on the same map location as a key mission.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, that particular DLC map has the issue of taking place on the same map location as the "Gateway of Demise" key mission. Thus, the key mission overrides the DLC mission, barring you from playing "The Secret Ingredient Is..." while "Gateway of Demise" is active. Granted, there is no way to let you know this because you can do Patrols before entering key or optional missions if they are on the same spot as a mission, thus making you think that a silly DLC side story would be playable even if it's on the same map location as a key mission.

Yeah would have been nice to be able to choose. Anyway I'm just glad the mission didn't get glitched out of existence like I thought it was when I somehow didn't see it as the fourth mission on the list.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I assume it wouldn't, but if a machine can take a support defend action that would kill it, will it still try to or will it let the unit being attacked take the hit? It occurred to me that the Gunblasters love to and also that the Gunblasters can be one-shot by any given boss lmao

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I believe so yes. I know enemies will support defend even if it means they'll get bopped.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EthanSteele posted:

I believe so yes. I know enemies will support defend even if it means they'll get bopped.

Lmao, I got around to doing the Rabbits optional mission and after realizing that only like four units could survive one hit from the boss that I had been keeping them in formation, and it was just luck it didn't aim at who they were supporting

Also wow, everyone from that show sucks lol, they're all incredibly annoying

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I assume it wouldn't, but if a machine can take a support defend action that would kill it, will it still try to or will it let the unit being attacked take the hit? It occurred to me that the Gunblasters love to and also that the Gunblasters can be one-shot by any given boss lmao

I believe player units will default to not support defending if the attack will kill, but they still might get crit and die anyway. You can manually set them to support defend even if it will kill them, though. Support defense counts as defending so they only take half damage (40% damage if they have a shield) so they can usually take more punishment than you would expect. Enemy units will gladly support defend to their deaths and it's pretty funny when you line things up to get a double kill with a support attack.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So I'm partway through the 30 campaign and I just want to know, maybe with an offending mission name to look out for in case: does the game ever pull the poo poo from The Second Coming of Zero again? I tend to do a mission before bed and the not challenging, but incredibly tedious time loop kept me up an additional thirty the other night.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

secretly best girl posted:

So I'm partway through the 30 campaign and I just want to know, maybe with an offending mission name to look out for in case: does the game ever pull the poo poo from The Second Coming of Zero again? I tend to do a mission before bed and the not challenging, but incredibly tedious time loop kept me up an additional thirty the other night.

I mean not that specific thing that I know of, but missions being longer than they look or getting extra reinforcements when you think you're almost done isn't unique.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

secretly best girl posted:

The best way to recognize if a mission is going to be longer is to look at the color of the victory condition text. If it's orange or white, there's still stuff on the way. If it's blue, then that's all there is. Now, what the game doesn't tell you is the condition(s) that will spawn the next wave of reinforcements or other enemy faction. That is something you'll unfortunately find out the hard way; granted, those moments are often something like "if less than X enemy units on screen or [named character] drops below X% of their HP or player shoots down X initial enemy units, spawn reinforcements", so your best bet is to not go too aggressive with your push.

As for that specific mission, no, that's about the only time you'll have to deal with something on that specific scale. Key missions that will take a while, though, can happen. One bit of advice is to look at the Akurasu wiki and look up the "True Ending" secret and the missions that secret applies to, as those stages can be long due to a lot of plot happening. Coincidentally, those missions are usually end of chapter missions, so naturally they're longer due to having to wrap up that section of the plot.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Cool, all good tips, thank you. And honestly I feel a bit dim for not just hitting suspend at the start of the final wave, it was my stubbornness that dragged it on further.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I was wondering so I checked on it and there are only ten spirit commands that Final Gaogaigar does not have access to in 30 (due to a lot of redundancies in the pilots' lists), and three of those are included in Love and/or Bravery which it has multiple times each.

Amusingly, King J-Der has four of the missing ones.

EDIT SO AS TO NOT DOUBLE POST:

Well I finally had someone get shot down, Zagato got a critical counter on Amuro right after he appeared and it was very rude.

Getting the extra V2 Gundam is making assigning the victory pilots even more complicated... I guess partly because I haven't actually seen victory so the only characters from it I know/care about are Uso, Shakti, Katejina, Marbet, and the Shrikes, so it's hard to decide who to put in the extra v-dash hexa and/or V2; I have Oliver still in the V2 now and put Junko in the extra hexa alongside Odelo and Tomache, but I might put Marbet in a V2 or in the v-Dash gundam, I dunno...

The Golux fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 12, 2022

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The extra V2 works with the other UC pilots as well. It allows Amuro and Kamille a slightly fancier unit until you get the Nu and Zeta back, while CharQuattro and Jona get a unit that isn't a clunky-to-use mess like the FA Hyaku Shiki Kai or the "your final upgrade really, really shouldn't be this late in the game" Narrative Gundam, respectively.

Or you go for the comedy option and dump Fa into the extra V2.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah I saw you can mix and match early and late UC units, victory just has by far the most pilots I don't have a drat clue what to do with.

I may put Marbet in the original gundam with repair and resupply parts added; won't be worse than the white ark probably and has two weapons with counter...

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

AradoBalanga posted:

The extra V2 works with the other UC pilots as well. It allows Amuro and Kamille a slightly fancier unit until you get the Nu and Zeta back, while CharQuattro and Jona get a unit that isn't a clunky-to-use mess like the FA Hyaku Shiki Kai or the "your final upgrade really, really shouldn't be this late in the game" Narrative Gundam, respectively.

That's what I did until Fa's Hi-Nu arrived. Kamille slamming into jokers with the wings of light is very strong and good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AradoBalanga posted:

Early on still but the Narrative's A-Packs Big Boy attack doing 1000 damage after everything was said and done on a grunt suit was a pretty big lol for me

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I keep forgetting to switch back to the A-Packs because it automatically unequips them whenever I'm doing a mission under gravity and makes a point to tell me about it :rolleyes:

I recall hearing about Akane having some special lines in a beach mission if you do it after the gridman finale, is that Endless Summer Heroes (the DLC one) or is there a different one that comes later?

Edit: also while I remember, does Shiro's Ichinana have anything to make up for not having a repair unit? I'm pretty sure the stats are the same if you upgrade them the same...

The Golux fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 13, 2022

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

The Golux posted:

I was wondering so I checked on it and there are only ten spirit commands that Final Gaogaigar does not have access to in 30 (due to a lot of redundancies in the pilots' lists), and three of those are included in Love and/or Bravery which it has multiple times each.

Amusingly, King J-Der has four of the missing ones.

EDIT SO AS TO NOT DOUBLE POST:

Well I finally had someone get shot down, Zagato got a critical counter on Amuro right after he appeared and it was very rude.

Getting the extra V2 Gundam is making assigning the victory pilots even more complicated... I guess partly because I haven't actually seen victory so the only characters from it I know/care about are Uso, Shakti, Katejina, Marbet, and the Shrikes, so it's hard to decide who to put in the extra v-dash hexa and/or V2; I have Oliver still in the V2 now and put Junko in the extra hexa alongside Odelo and Tomache, but I might put Marbet in a V2 or in the v-Dash gundam, I dunno...

You're perfectly fine using just Uso, and permanently benching the entire rest of the V Gundam pilot crew. They're all mediocre, support-oriented pilots whose defensive spirits are sparse and expensive.

The V2 can go to pretty much any Gundam character. It's a solid unit with powerful attacks and no Newtype-only abilities or weapons. If there's a side character that you particularly like but they're not Newtypey enough to put in the Nu Gundam or the Narrative, you can throw them in the V2 and they'll keep up with the cast even if they're not an especially great pilot.

If you particularly like one Victory side character, you can give it to them and it'll probably make them kind of tolerable to use.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Golux posted:

I keep forgetting to switch back to the A-Packs because it automatically unequips them whenever I'm doing a mission under gravity and makes a point to tell me about it :rolleyes:

I recall hearing about Akane having some special lines in a beach mission if you do it after the gridman finale, is that Endless Summer Heroes (the DLC one) or is there a different one that comes later?

Edit: also while I remember, does Shiro's Ichinana have anything to make up for not having a repair unit? I'm pretty sure the stats are the same if you upgrade them the same...

Shiro's Ichinana has higher crit on a few of his attacks, though I think that might not even come into play until you do the upgrade mission. Not at all worth giving up Repair, especially since Koji's Ichinana carries its upgrades over into Mazinger Z so you can get some extra value out of upgrading it early game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Golux posted:

Yes. I think it also has some updates to dialogue if you do it after the Akane reveal, but I might be wrong.

The issue is that by delaying it to after the Gridman finale, you'll basically be one or two maps away from the literal end of the game.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

AradoBalanga posted:

Yes. I think it also has some updates to dialogue if you do it after the Akane reveal, but I might be wrong.

The issue is that by delaying it to after the Gridman finale, you'll basically be one or two maps away from the literal end of the game.

Ah, that makes sense. The other one I think someone mentioned was probably Return of the Mirage. I suppose waiting that long is probably not worth it.

It seems like all the option parts in this game are pretty much strict upgrades, is that true? Aside from the "usable in gravity" parts for Narrative. Like is there any advantage to using the non-FA Gundam Mk. II? I guess the incom MP Nu is for if you put a non-newtype in it.

Actually similarly, is the line Lloyd gives about the Lancelot sIN being better for bosses and the Albion Zero better for crowds true for gameplay? They don't seem that different.

Also do people deploy less than the maximum number of units to concentrate kills? Was thinking of that but not sure if it would work.

(sorry for so many questions, I don't have that much experience in actually playing SRWs and most of mine is from the GBA OG games which this is much different from)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Golux posted:

Ah, that makes sense. The other one I think someone mentioned was probably Return of the Mirage. I suppose waiting that long is probably not worth it.

It seems like all the option parts in this game are pretty much strict upgrades, is that true? Aside from the "usable in gravity" parts for Narrative. Like is there any advantage to using the non-FA Gundam Mk. II? I guess the incom MP Nu is for if you put a non-newtype in it.

Actually similarly, is the line Lloyd gives about the Lancelot sIN being better for bosses and the Albion Zero better for crowds true for gameplay? They don't seem that different.

Also do people deploy less than the maximum number of units to concentrate kills? Was thinking of that but not sure if it would work.

(sorry for so many questions, I don't have that much experience in actually playing SRWs and most of mine is from the GBA OG games which this is much different from)

Considering SIN has a map weapon I doubt it.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

The Golux posted:

Like is there any advantage to using the non-FA Gundam Mk. II?

I benched the unit entirely as soon as I could but I feel like I remember reverting to the stock Mark II because it had better range

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
The stock Gundam Mk.II has better evasion and range, so it's probably better that way if you give it to a good pilot

The FA Mk.II's superior tankiness can be good for mediocre pilots who aren't good at dodging anyway, though. It's well-suited to when all your good pilots are in something better and it becomes earmarked for side characters.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The Option Parts I can think of right away are Gundam Mark II's Full Armor parts, swapping MP Nu between Fin Funnels and Incoms, the A/B parts for Narrative, and the Assault Buster parts for V2.

FA Mark II has better long range and better dodging, as covered. The Long Beam Rifle and Twin-Barrel Beam Rifle have similar power, but it's a question if if you want better range or being post-move. FA Mark II does not have a beam saber, but that's not too big a deal.

MP Nu's Fin Funnels are just straight up better than the Incoms, but you need to be at least a level 2 Newtype to use those. But it's not like there's any Oldtypes worth half a poo poo anyway. I guess if you really want to field the Shrikes and V2 is otherwise occupied.

Narrative's A parts have better range and speed and power, but the B parts have the post-move Incoms and also a MAP attack (which is, I must admit, hard to use because of its awkward shape and not being post-move). I'd say go with the A parts whenever you can. There's another set of parts later, which I haven't gotten to yet, but as I understand it, they're just flat out better.

V2AB adds a few weapons and a shield, upgrades the Beam Rifle to the Mega Beam Rifle, and gains the whole "if shot down, becomes regular V2" thing. In exchange for this, it gives up a single point of movement, which isn't that big a deal because Haro has Accelerate and it's not like you need much movement after the first turn anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's the deal with Haro btw? How do I use its skills?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

MechaCrash posted:

MP Nu's Fin Funnels are just straight up better than the Incoms, but you need to be at least a level 2 Newtype to use those. But it's not like there's any Oldtypes worth half a poo poo anyway. I guess if you really want to field the Shrikes and V2 is otherwise occupied.

have you considered though that incoms fuckin own

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the deal with Haro btw? How do I use its skills?

Haro is just treated as a sub-pilot for Uso; you select its spirits the same way as any other multi-pilot unit.

MechaCrash posted:

Narrative's A parts have better range and speed and power, but the B parts have the post-move Incoms and also a MAP attack (which is, I must admit, hard to use because of its awkward shape and not being post-move). I'd say go with the A parts whenever you can. There's another set of parts later, which I haven't gotten to yet, but as I understand it, they're just flat out better.

Yeah, the C parts are the best, except for the part where they show up in literally the same mission as you get the Phenex, so they won't see much use unless you field Banagher or someone.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 14, 2022

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Thuryl posted:

Haro is just treated as a sub-pilot for Uso; you select its spirits the same way as any other multi-pilot unit.

Yeah, the C parts are the best, except for the part where they show up in literally the same mission as you get the Phenex, so they won't see much use unless you field Banagher or someone.

I cycled several new types through the C to see their lines for the finisher, some are cool

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I figured out how to use multi-pilot skills, that's a lot of cash money I've missed out on

Also lol that on S-expert all you can do with the dlc intro missions is run and defend because you can't hope to kill anything and win. Barbatos looks insane though lmao

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol I figured out how to use multi-pilot skills, that's a lot of cash money I've missed out on

Also lol that on S-expert all you can do with the dlc intro missions is run and defend because you can't hope to kill anything and win. Barbatos looks insane though lmao

Feed it some credits and it is just as insane as it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I've never played a SRT before, so I grabbed the english patch for SRT:OG on PS2. Is this the type of game where if I don't get the SP for each level I'm gonna have a real bad time later on? Should I redo each level I fail to beat in time or whatever the bonus condition is?