Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
whoa this is coming out soon. is fanatical a good key seller, I never used them before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

uber_stoat posted:

whoa this is coming out soon. is fanatical a good key seller, I never used them before.

Yeah that's where I got mine and had no problems, take advantage of that sick 20% off dude!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
- They're looking into adding missing races to the main campaign (like VCoast) in the future. You may fight High Elves as N'kari.

- lol CA playing coy with Chaos Dwarfs

- Horrors don't split due to balancing concerns. Blue Horror got added as their own unit because they needed as many units as possible for Tzeentch's roster.

Azran fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 8, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Meanwhile the official TW forums are angry about Tzeentch reskins, Boris looking different, and The Lore

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So is Khorne the only demon faction with artillery?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Nurgle's Soul Grinder has an artillery cannon on it

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Nurgle has Ku'gath, which sorta counts, and the Soul Grinder.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Meanwhile the official TW forums are angry about Tzeentch reskins, Boris looking different, and The Lore

Don't forget the rear end ladders! People apparently want their ladder-carrying animations back.

Edit: While playtesting the Daemon Prince's equipment feature, they decided to remove the cooldown for equipping and transferring items because they felt it wasn't very fun, and that ended up extending to all items in general.

Edit 2: The lack of night-day cycle is related to how integral lightning is to a location's personality - it was decided early on in development. For example they didn't want battles in Sylvania to be fought in daytime.

Azran fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 8, 2022

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Azran posted:

- Some of the lords that could've been in the map but aren't (Drycha, Malus) were omitted for gameplay reasons, to give players a bigger variety in terms of opponents.

Huh? How is omitting lords (especially ones that are far away from their races' home like these two) increasing opponent variety :psyduck:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Huh? How is omitting lords (especially ones that are far away from their races' home like these two) increasing opponent variety :psyduck:

No idea about Drycha (though we've already got Laurelorn in the Empire), but in the case of Malus it was either Dark Elves or Lizardmen in the Dragon Isles, and you already fight Dark Elves exclusively in ocean battles. I imagine they're also future-proofing for DLC, so if, say, they want to add Tetto'eko there or whatever.

Azran fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 8, 2022

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Ah gotcha. Hope my boy Imrik makes it in at least, his ME start is just baaarely in the WH3 map boundaries and he's probably the only High Elf who's got a shot at being there

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Twigand Berries posted:

The AI told me tell you…hold on it’s in 1s and 0s here….ok it says…”you got lucky….bitch” yes that’s it I’m afraid

gently caress.....

i'm owned

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

- lol CA playing coy with Chaos Dwarfs
They better have been coy by making references to very impressive hats.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

In their core lineup, but remember, there's nothing stopping you from getting outposts in factions that have artillery, like beastmen, warriors of chaos? and eventually Chorfs, which is where chaos will probably end up getting most of their arty.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dramicus posted:

In their core lineup, but remember, there's nothing stopping you from getting outposts in factions that have artillery, like beastmen, warriors of chaos? and eventually Chorfs, which is where chaos will probably end up getting most of their arty.

Oh, ya I guess that is true. I assume you can also build outposts in vassal territory as well as allied? Dominating other factions just seems more thematic for demons

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Is it four units per army or in total when you hire from an Outpost?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

DaysBefore posted:

I believe it's per army and it might increase based on the level of the outpost.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh, ya I guess that is true. I assume you can also build outposts in vassal territory as well as allied? Dominating other factions just seems more thematic for demons

No idea, but it makes sense and would be strange if you couldn't.

Edit: you are limited to units the faction can currently recruit though. So if you get an outpost in the Empire, for example, you will only get access to Empire Knights if they have the appropriate building.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 8, 2022

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
that outpost ability was supposed to be a defining feature of the ostrogoths(?) in atilla, but it never really worked correctly due to the ai building miles of sewers and churches instead of recruitment halls.

still, it'd be neat if they get it to function this time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If nothing else Warhammer AI in general have way fewer buildings to gently caress up their choices.

I assume AI Cathay doesn't have yin/yang cuz otherwise lmfao they will never be in harmony

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

4 allied units per army.

Dramicus posted:

They better have been coy by making references to very impressive hats.

Paraphrased but it was like this:

Streamer: "Some people are looking at the map, the cities in the Dark Lands, and they're sure the Chaos Dwarfs are coming"
Dev: "Yeah, uh..."
Streamer: "But I mean, they're clearly not there, it's all Orcs. I'm sure this has to be post-End Times, Grimgor has already destroyed them all so they're done"
Dev: "Let's move on"
(they both laugh)

It was very clearly tongue-in-cheek, especially considering the massive HEY CHORFS ARE COMING hint we got as a loading screen quote.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Azran posted:

4 allied units per army.

I heard the question asked on Legend's stream, but he didn't know if you could have more than 4 via a simple army merge. Not sure if anyone's heard since.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Scott Forstall posted:

I heard the question asked on Legend's stream, but he didn't know if you could have more than 4 via a simple army merge. Not sure if anyone's heard since.

In WH2 they already have the "You have recruited the maximum number of units" restriction for armies, so it stands to reason that you can only transfer allied units if there is room for them out of the limit of 4. It will also probably be moddable.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

During the stream today they asked about skill point respec and the dev said that it's something they're aware many people want, that it's technically feasible but a lot of work and that it just wasn't a priority during development but it's doesn't mean it's never going to make it into the game.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Since respec mods exist I’m curious about what edge cases or technical concerns they are dealing with that the mods don’t account for.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If nothing else Warhammer AI in general have way fewer buildings to gently caress up their choices.

I assume AI Cathay doesn't have yin/yang cuz otherwise lmfao they will never be in harmony

Am I imagining that back during the earlier days right up until maybe Atilla or Rome 2 that the enemy army would advance and attack as an army instead of being the chaotic and tedious mess that it is now?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Am I imagining that back during the earlier days right up until maybe Atilla or Rome 2 that the enemy army would advance and attack as an army instead of being the chaotic and tedious mess that it is now?

In Empire/Napoleon they'd deploy line infantry in X shapes so half of each was shooting the enemy, while the other half shot their friends in the back. After their general charged directly into the firing line of course. If there was an AI like that, it left us way before Rome 2.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

Since respec mods exist I’m curious about what edge cases or technical concerns they are dealing with that the mods don’t account for.
Names of Power don't play very nicely with them, especially not unlimited respec mods. Because they give you a trait, you keep it through respecs. It's a minor thing and I just end up not using respec mods on DE factions but it's there. Depending on how the Ice Court and Herald->Exalted Daemon works I could see a lot of issues there too.

A better result is probably just wiping all skill points for confederated lords/heroes, though that doesn't give a fix for mistakes you make mid campaign.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Azran posted:

The CA dev said they're definitely not done with Be'lakor, it's just that he's the antagonist for the main story so it wouldn't make sense to make him playable as his own faction.

I hope that means he'll get a start position for Immortal Empires. I'm having a hard time thinking of what else it could mean other than what they've already revealed about post-campaign play.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In Empire/Napoleon they'd deploy line infantry in X shapes so half of each was shooting the enemy, while the other half shot their friends in the back. After their general charged directly into the firing line of course. If there was an AI like that, it left us way before Rome 2.

It's not really a problem in early game when you and the AI don't have full stacks. I reckon there should be an option to limit army size to 10 units or less.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Sinteres posted:

I hope that means he'll get a start position for Immortal Empires. I'm having a hard time thinking of what else it could mean other than what they've already revealed about post-campaign play.

I mean, the template implied by TWWH 1 & 2 was a unified campaign that all DLC needed to squeeze into plus the sandbox mode. But 3 is already launching with separate special campaigns for coop, and 3K DLC added new start dates and other modifications.

So who knows how they are thinking about expanding the game.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dunno about everybody else but I hope they think about more minicampaigns for the DLCs. I really enjoyed the ones for Rome 2, though admittedly the Warhammer 1 campaigns weren't great.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

DaysBefore posted:

Dunno about everybody else but I hope they think about more minicampaigns for the DLCs. I really enjoyed the ones for Rome 2, though admittedly the Warhammer 1 campaigns weren't great.

I'd prefer they spend dev time on other things than campaigns. There's already too much campaign for any reasonable player to complete; by adding more factions you're getting content that you can at least encounter in the world or play in custom/MP battles.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't think it's impossible, but I would be surprised. Their data in TWW1 told them that so few people actually played the DLC minicampaigns that it literally wasn't worth the (substantial) effort to make them.

The launch minicampaigns in TWW3 might be them testing the waters to see if opinions/player habits have changed.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

DaysBefore posted:

I feel like they are kind of setting themselves up for more minicampaigns just because the game itself is releasing with a few minicampaigns, which apparently are quite good.

I'm all for minicampaigns if they are good, and Total Wars kind of have a mixed past with them. Napoleon and Rome 2 had some good mini campaigns, but the Warhammer ones have not been great.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

orangelex44 posted:

I'd prefer they spend dev time on other things than campaigns. There's already too much campaign for any reasonable player to complete; by adding more factions you're getting content that you can at least encounter in the world or play in custom/MP battles.

I'm also kind of inclined to agree with this. I played the minicampaigns for the TWW1 race DLCs once each and had no desire to go back to them, but if that dev time is spent on more LLs or units or something I'm likely to be far more satisfied with it because I'll simply interact with it a lot more.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 9, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I've love to see more campaigns, and I think the DLC lord packs in 2 were at least a step in that direction, in addition to the multiplayer campaigns at launch for 3 that have been pointed out. Not holding my breath, but it would be cool since I expect to play this game for a very long time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah the thing with the game 1 mini campaigns was that they were one-and-done. One faction, no MP. The Napoleon and Rome 2 mini campaigns had lots of factions that felt different just like the big campaign.

The WH3 mini campaigns seem to be leaning the right way. I haven't seen the Kislev one, but the Cathay one has both cathayans and all four daemons (and maybe the two ogres? They're present as AIs in the streams so why wouldn't they be playable?) set up right next to each other for a battle royale that can be decided in a few hours. Seems like the perfect mode for wrangling up some friends for a run without having to leave it unfinished or struggle with schedules. I'm almost as hyped for that one as I am for the regular campaign.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Three is already rolling with mini campaigns, so assumedly there will be more here or there.

In fact, I can basically guarantee it because the multiplayer campaign stuff is tied to them. Ofc there's gonna be more for other places.

looking at the map in streams I'm actually surprised at how small it feels. I get there's the HELL DIMENSION but that's a sometimes thing, immortal empries isn't going to change the map much at all

which isn't necessarily a complaint, but.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The kingmaking in true 8 player FFA in the Cathayan campaign is going to be insane. I doubt I'll ever end up playing with more than two other players, if that, just because I don't know many people who play these games, but it does seem like it would be fun to experience the, well, chaos of the 8 player version of it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

How the gently caress did they make a campaign called “An Eye for an Eye” and not make it a competitive campaign? That’s my question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

I would not be surprised (or mad) at more minicampaigns coming with a focus on interesting co-op experiences given what we're already seeing/hearing about the included minicampaigns. If I can slam out a game of warhams with some friends over a couple hours and beers, i'll go ahead and wipe the grudge of game 1 minicampaigns from the book.